• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabletop Simulator is an absolute blast to play and you should check it out!

Panda Rin

Tabletop Simulator is the best purchase I've made for myself and a few of my buddies. I picked up a 4-pack for $60 a few days ago and been having an absolute blast playing through all of different board games on the Workshop. They almost literally have every tabletop game available (all available for free!).

Steam Workshop

It's a comprehensive simulator. There are a shit-ton of quality-of-life mechanics and the physics are spot on. The playing experience is very intuitive and equally satisfying. I didn't find myself struggling with any of the controls. I've had a chance to play through a few games of Pandemic, King of Tokyo, and Legendary and all have been incredibly engrossing.

I guess the biggest caveat is well...you HAVE TO have other friends to play with. This was initially a problem for me until I saw more interest from others. There are PUG rooms, but most of them are locked.

You can even have a tablet streaming music from Youtube and everyone can hear it

oxIMsXw.png

Here are some screenshots of some tabletop games available.

Gwent

Secret Hitler

Yu-Gi-Oh

Risk: Metal Gear Solid

Game of Thrones

Dead of Winter

Legendary

Pokemon

Pandemic

King of Toyko

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I tried to play Uno in it a week or three ago and it's fucking impossible to do that with a full 8 players because there's no turn indication and the whole pick-up card place it is completely awkward. :/

killercow

I tried to play Uno in it a week or three ago and it's fucking impossible to do that with a full 8 players because there's no turn indication and the whole pick-up card place it is completely awkward. :/

I find it to be actually just like the real card game. Definitely not a problem for UNO if you play with friends. You need to master the controls first (dealing the cards, moving everything etc). But the lack of complex system is exactly what's refreshing. If you know the game in real life, you can play it right away.

I've seen the X-Wing and 40k stuff in the workshop. I watched a YT vid of some guys playing 40k. It looked cool, not too clunky. I'd rather play 40k in person tho.

NotLiquid

Game is a blast when you got a group of peeps.

Crying shame that the Munchkin mod is hard as nails to find nowadays after the creators filed takedown notices.

Sasie

Sounds like copyright infringement hell.

So far they seem to have gotten away with it and I'm personally a tiny bit curious about how they done that. One of the developers said on the forums that it's not something the players should worry about and that they can't discuss it. My guess is that it's because all the copyrighted materials are in the workshop and can just be taken down individually when a company complains.

Tagyhag

Yeah it's amazing, unfortunately I don't have friends that are interested in tabletop so I haven't been able to try it out. It'd be insane if they could have AI on the workshop mods.

Provided through players over steam workshop. Every player loads the assets used in that round when he enters a game - e.g. Magic the Gathering Cards.

So basically a table top piracy tool. The KaZaA or Limewire of board games. Sweet.

Qwark

Are rules enforced in the mod? Like if you're playing risk, will the game stop you from just moving your piece where you want or is it honor code? Seems like it would be tough for mods to enforce all the rules.

oti

Banned
If you get a game through Workshop and the publisher decides then to take all mods for their games down, can you still play that mod with your friends as long as everybody has already downloaded the files?

So basically a table top piracy tool. The KaZaA or Limewire of board games. Sweet.

Yeah, this is gonna get sued into oblivion, but it'll be interesting while it lasts.

If you get a game through Workshop and the publisher decides then to take all mods for their games down, can you still play that mod with your friends as long as everybody has already downloaded the files?

Um... I think it depends on how the game handles the mods. I know that even if I unsubscribe from a CKII mod, I still have it until I delete the data, but unsubscribing from an XCOM 2 mod makes the mod unavailable for selection in the launcher, so clearly different games do things differently.

It's been around since June of last year...
You would think lawsuits would have been filed by this point

Maybe? Sometimes these things take time. Maybe they didn't know or care until it hit a certain level of visibility.

But hey, maybe you're right. Like I said, it looks cool, I just don't expect it to last long :p

I don't see how. If you provide a basic framework, I don't see what's illegal about it. That'd be like suing Unity over someone remaking games in it.

It's a little bit like what happened to the major torrent sites. Aiding and abetting and all that.

jiggles

Banned

For sure. I picked it up just a couple of days ago with a friend and we were playing Fallout Monopoly within a few minutes for nothing. It almost feels like piracy, but at the same time, it's hard to tell where the line really is here.

Is it copyright infringement for us to play something with Monopoly's exact rules with pen and paper and no board? What about with a board we drew ourselves that has a different design? Or one with we drew the same design with different names? What if we got a friend to draw it for us? Does it *really* matter if the names are changed or not? Then what if it was on a computer over the internet instead?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

This is the only thing that kind of worries me. I see there is some licensed DLC available for the game. I imagine the plethora of bootleg shit on the workshop and nexusmods is probably highly at risk. I see comments on the workshop to the effect of the guy who uploaded mods for Magic the Gathering got them all taken down by Steam, so it looks like they're already taking steps to squash some of it.

Having nobody to play board/card/tabletop games with IRL is kinda shitty tho, so I might eventually check this out and give it a whirl with some online buddies if I can.

Please think before you post.

---

OT: I wish more games were translated though.

Am I wrong in saying there are many unlicensed Steam Workshop mods? The OT has images of mostly unofficial mods that clearly infringe on properties and brands that see zero benefit of this things existence. Pretty clear those are not on the up-and-up.

I was not drive by shitposting. Thought went into my response.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I played the old ninja turtles boardgame on this game and it was great! I had to find and write the rules for it on the steam forum but my friends and I played that game a few times. Cool game!

Deadstar

https://tabletopia.com/

is the more legit version. should be avail on steam soonish

I haven't liked what I've played of tabletopia. The zoom is weird on it.

Back on topic, Tabletop Simulator is the best game on steam if you like tabletop games, it's amazing and they keep improving it. Also, how do you have a Tabletop Sim thread without Cosmic Encounter? Tabletop simulator would be worth it for this game alone.

Also, it's not true that you NEED friends to play this. The rooms are locked because the games are ongoing. What normally happens is you create a public game, then when the game is filled, you lock the game so that no one comes in and messes it up. I've made tons of friends online and generally playing with randoms is very enjoyable.

Are rules enforced in the mod? Like if you're playing risk, will the game stop you from just moving your piece where you want or is it honor code? Seems like it would be tough for mods to enforce all the rules.

No, it's physics based. There are no scripted "rules." You move the pieces as you would a normal game.

I've bought the "real" games after playing them for free on tabletop. Playing a simulated game is not as fun as the real thing. This is an excellent marketing tool because you can try a game out and see if you like it. Of course the designers have the right to pull the game if they don't like this.

Am I wrong in saying there are many unlicensed Steam Workshop mods? The OT has images of mostly unofficial mods that clearly infringe on properties and brands that see zero benefit of this things existence. Pretty clear those are not on the up-and-up.

I was not drive by shitposting. Thought went into my response.

My point is that the game is not a piracy tool. Even if users might use it for that purpose.
Copyrighted material should be taken down, but it doesn't mean that the game itself must be taken down.

There is an abundance of examples for that. From engines to "game makers". Just because someone created a remake of Final Fantasy VI on RPG Maker, won't make RPG Maker a piracy tool.

oti

Banned
No, seriously. Anyone here into playing Phase 10 through this? I'll buy this game if enough people say yes.

No, it's physics based. There are no scripted "rules." You move the pieces as you would a normal game.

This is generally true, but the most recent update did add support for scripting in mods! It's a bit basic at the moment, but still really great. I had previously made a version of 13 Dead End Drive (not posted on the workshop yet) that was just a little bit too finicky when you had to do everything manually, but now I can use scripting to trigger and reset all of the traps.

Molemitts

I've owned this game for a while and I'm sure I would play it all the time, if I had friends... who, uh, owned the game.

I've wanted to play more tabletop games for a while. Secret Hitler seems like way too much fun.

My point is that the game is not a piracy tool. Even if users might use it for that purpose.
Copyrighted material should be taken down, but it doesn't mean that the game itself must be taken down.

There is an abundance of examples for that. From engines to "game makers". Just because someone created a remake of Final Fantasy VI on RPG Maker, won't make RPG Maker a piracy tool.

It is being marketed in this thread a certain way. The developer is not being proactive about removing infringing content. With a wink, they know their program/games' primary intended use.

It could be a tool for original content, but when the games own Steam boards are filled with people actively discussing how to take JPGs of existing cards and convert them to a PDF format compatible with the game, I don't feel like enough is being done to stop that practice.

Vicarious & contributory infringement with a user base that directly violates copyright.

Afrocious

Tabletop Sim is great. Has there been any legal concerns about it though? You can essentially play any card game on it.

Again, if anyone plays Dominion, hit me up.

Also been looking to learn Netrunner.

atr0cious

So this is like yahoo games where you're only paying online, and not like jack box where people locally can play together?

Afrocious

So this is like yahoo games where you're only paying online, and not like jack box where people locally can play together?

I can see how people could play games on it locally. You might have to put hands of cards face down though while folks pass the mouse around.

elyetis

God that game/software was a god sent. I really like those games, but between friends in other cities, and a brother in another country, Tabletop Simulator allow us to play those games more than 4 or 5 times a years.
I will wait for the VR version
They said they were gonna do it, it's one of my biggest expectation for VR. Thought I still have my doubt the first gen resolution will be enough to really enjoy the tabletop experience ( small text on cards and all ).

Top Bottom