• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TAC Pro for PS4 (Keyboard/mouse controls) up for pre-order

vivftp

Thanks to CertifiedFP for pointing this out. Didn't see a thread, so lock if old.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/accessories/tac-pro-for-playstation-4/

TAC_PRO.png

The TAC Pro's mechanical keyboard and mouse bring PC style controls to PS4™ and PS3™ systems. The TAC Pro provides a different method of control for the PlayStation®4. Designed to work seamlessly with the PS4™ system and all games, its features include keyboard or analog stick movement and programmable user profiles.

Universal Compatibility: Plug and play on the PlayStation®4, PlayStation®3 and Windows PC. Designed specifically for FPS games. Compatible with the included TAC Gaming Mouse or any HID-compliant USB mouse.

Fully Programmable: Adjust and store your settings for mouse sensitivity, acceleration and dead zones. All keys and buttons are programmable on the TAC Pro display panel or through a PC compatible configuration app.

3200 DPI Optical Mouse: Gaming grade mouse with ultra-responsive micro-switches for deadly accuracy. Buttons are intuitively mapped by default and can be programmed as needed.

Advanced Features: Quick Button increases mouse sensitivity for faster reaction time, Snipe Button reduces sensitivity for precision aiming, Walk Button for precision movement, WSAD or analog stick movement options, and more.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think I'm done with competitive gaming.

Halabane

What games will support this?

And why are they doing this? Really am confused by this.

As someone mentioned above this is going to impact competitive gaming.

Black Hat

Is there anyway that they can detect and stop the use of these in say Competitive Overwatch on PS4?

Really doesn't seem fair.

KarmaCow

Has anyone actually tried this? It sounds like it would be awful if it's adapting mouse movement to analog sticks the game is expecting.

Trup1aya

There's no way this can accurately translate a mouse into an useful analog signal.

The mouse:cursor movement is 1:1 with the mouse's position.

Analog:cursor movement is all about how far the stick is from center. Then the games software assists the user by interpreting intentions.

Two vastly different concepts. The if the translation didn't already throw the game off, the assists would finish the job.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd probably use this for mmo's like FFXIV
Given how many shortcuts you have to use in FFXIV at later levels, I suggest getting a regular wireless keyboard and a mouse combo from Logitech (since it's good and cheap).
The way you switch between shortcut bars works on a gamepad because of the button placements, but I feel like it would require some weird finger gymnastics on that thing.

What games will support this?

All

And why are they doing this? Really am confused by this.

As someone mentioned above this is going to impact competitive gaming.

Has it negatively impacted competitive gaming before? Adapters such as the Xim and Cronusmax have been available since the 360/PS3 days.

If this can actually replicate a mouse, then this could get messy.

Its not 1:1 but its pretty damn close. As stated above, kb/m adapters have been around for a while now.

BigEmil

Given how many shortcuts you have to use in FFXIV at later levels, I suggest getting a regular wireless keyboard and a mouse combo from Logitech (since it's good and cheap).
The way you switch between shortcut bars works on a gamepad because of the button placements, but I feel like it would require some weird finger gymnastics on that thing.
Oh never knew those were supported on the ps4 thanks! Will have a look

There's no way this can accurately translate a mouse into an useful analog signal.

The mouse:cursor movement is 1:1 with the mouse's position.

Analog:cursor movement is all about how far the stick is from center. Then the games software assists the user by interpreting intentions.

Two vastly different concepts. The if the translation didn't already throw the game off, the assists would finish the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPMj5xF-6IY

This thing exists and seems pretty legit. I dunno...

I guess at the least it could provide an advantage.

I think I'm done with competitive gaming.

These have been around in some form for a long time. I had a Xim3 for the 360 and an Xim4 for the XBone/PS4 that let you easily use your Kb+M in any game. The only upper limit is your mouse can only go as fast as the fastest sensitivity in game, which is still more than most people need. Feels 1:1 to me, and the Xim software is constantly being updated.

It's awesome, m+kb in shooters feels so great. It's a bit unfair when you go online to play VS. though, you'll usually beat the hell out of everyone. Still awesome though.

BigEmil

These have been around in some form for a long time. I had a Xim3 for the 360 and an Xim4 for the XBone/PS4 that let you easily use your Kb+M in any game. The only upper limit is your mouse can only go as fast as the fastest sensitivity in game, which is still more than most people need. Feels 1:1 to me, and the Xim software is constantly being updated.

It's awesome, m+kb in shooters feels so great. It's a bit unfair when you go online to play VS. though, you'll usually beat the hell out of everyone. Still awesome though.
Not as much as an advantage as pad users with some aim assist and bullet magnetism etc

vivftp

I'm really hoping for controls that feel like PC with games like The Division. I always want to be able to fire without ADS, but it's hard as hell with a controller.

Very interested to see how it operates with games like Destiny.

Rellik

Its not 1:1 but its pretty damn close. As stated above, kb/m adapters have been around for a while now.

I'm thinking more if this product reaches more eyes than those adapters. The set in the OP could be on shelves in all gaming stores. You have to go out your way and already know about those adapters.

But yeah, maybe it'll just be the same.

Iorv3th

I'm thinking more if this product reaches more eyes than those adapters. The set in the OP could be on shelves in all gaming stores. You have to go out your way and already know about those adapters.

Still 150$ though.

I'm really hoping for controls that feel like PC with games like The Division. I always want to be able to fire without ADS, but it's hard as hell with a controller.

From what I've read Destiny has a maximum turn speed. It works but requires extra tweaking to get it feeling "acceptable"

True, but the price tag could also be something that turns people off.

Sony also had such a device for the PS3 published together with Hori i think,
as for the quality of the mouse movements this device most likely also wont come close to the XIM4

either way devices like these are great for people that dont feel comfortable with controllers yet want to try the console exclusives or play with friends that only play on consoles
or those that dont want to buy and maintain expensive PCs with for example the upgrading costs

Halabane

All

Has it negatively impacted competitive gaming before? Adapters such as the Xim and Cronusmax have been available since the 360/PS3 days.

I had thought the testing done on cross platform games with the PC showed that keyboard and mouse players had an advantage. So it wasn't supported because it gave an unfair advantage. I assumed, not correctly it appears, that they locked out devices like this but I guess not. I have no idea then if it has an effect. Not sure how you would find out unless the leader boards would show if they used something other than a stock controller. Guess we will find out if this becomes popular.

I think I liked it when we were all normalized to a common haptic device. The other thing is that hori device sure ain't cheap! 150 bucks.

Mengetsu

Yay it's not ok to use controllers on PC but yea this is fair. Please Destiny and Overwatch are hard enough dealing with controller players on PS4....

Radec

Has anyone actually tried this? It sounds like it would be awful if it's adapting mouse movement to analog sticks the game is expecting.

I tried a similar device (XIM4) and its almost 1:1 like the mouse if you configured it well accordingly to your mouse/needs.

Is there anyway that they can detect and stop the use of these in say Competitive Overwatch on PS4?

Really doesn't seem fair.

I doubt it since the game will detect you are using a DS4.

Metfanant

In most games, as part of the basic game mechanics ADS is just more accurate (as it should be), the game would decrease accuracy when you fire from the hip...regardless of input device...

epmode

Unless Sony provides legit mouse support for PS4, this kind of thing will always be a novelty. It's converting mouse movements to analog stick input which will never be as precise as native mouse support on a PC.

Iorv3th

Unless Sony provides legit mouse support for PS4, this kind of thing will always be a novelty. It's converting mouse movements to analog stick input which will never be as precise as native mouse support on a PC.

It doesn't have to be as good as PC, just better than analog stick.

Sony also had such a device for the PS3 published together with Hori i think,
as for the quality of the mouse movements this device most likely also wont come close to the XIM4

I don't know...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8uiz8B2bsQ

I haven't used the TAC4 but it looks to do a damn good job

I had thought the testing done on cross platform games with the PC showed that keyboard and mouse players had an advantage. So it wasn't supported because it gave an unfair advantage. I assumed, not correctly it appears, that they locked out devices like this but I guess not. I have no idea then if it has an effect. Not sure how you would find out unless the leader boards would show if they used something other than a stock controller. Guess we will find out if this becomes popular.

I think I liked it when we were all normalized to a common haptic device. The other thing is that hori device sure ain't cheap! 150 bucks.

Userbase for these adapters is pretty damn small so players at top of the leader board on console are likely to be using a controller.

I recently began using a xim4 so Im in the shit transition phase. Picking up a controller feels completely alien to me now, but Im still not where I want to be with kb/m.

This is pretty cool, though it's been done before. I wonder if it'll ever become commonplace for consoles to support this sort of input (it's been done in the past by a few games, though never widespread).

Not as much as an advantage as pad users with some aim assist and bullet magnetism etc
Well, it's not like all that suddenly disables when you use an Xim. So you get better adjustment than an analog stick, and a lot of leeway.

Yudoken

Isn't this pretty much cheating?

If you're not living under a rock then you know that even MS themselves found out that average pc players destroyed veteran controller players.

If you're not living under a rock then you know that even MS themselves found out that average pc players destroyed veteran controller players.

How is this cheating? People use custom controllers all the time in competitive games. There is a huge market for it. And MS themselves released an enhanced controller.

mhayze

I haven't tried this, but there was a splitfish for PS3 that I tried (official PS3 product, just like this one). I only ever tried it with COD:BlOps and it didn't exactly put me at the top of every leaderboard. Being an old man (over 30) I am just better with KB+M than dual analog in a competitive situation, but it didn't make me better than the good dualshock users. I'd say it improved kills by 10-30% for me. Nobody was shouting at me going OMGWTFHAX at the time.

Now I also had COD:BlOps for the PC, and I was way better at that. To put it differently, a game that is optimized for console doesn't play the same as a PC game designed for KB+M from the get go. The maximum turn speed is too slow on the console, and the acceleration curve is not perfect. If you somehow pitted PC COD BlOps players against console players (KB+M gamepad emulators or not) they would destroy the console players.

I don't know about this Hori device in particular, but I doubt it breaks games (like the aforementioned Overwatch competitive).

I have stayed away from the adapters because it seemed like there was a huge amount of setup involved in getting the buttons mapped to mouse/keyboard correctly. If this thing is pretty much plug and play + tweaks to suit your playstyle, I'd buy this immediately.

vivftp

Hmm, after reading comments I'm a bit less enthusiastic about this with all this talk about the mouse movements being limited by the way the games are setup for controllers. Still going to keep an eye on this to see how it works out as I'd still love to have keyboard/mouse options for some games. I used to be a PC gamer long ago, but I do all my gaming on PS4 now, and soon on Neo.

Top Bottom