• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TAC Pro for PS4 (Keyboard/mouse controls) up for pre-order

flkraven

Just noticed this is straight up on playstations website. I'm surprised there isn't more outrage. This is straight up allowed pay to win supported by the platform holder. I mean, will they atleast police this like on Windows 10/xbox with seperate queues for keyboard users? Doubt it.

Mesoian

Playing a FPS on PS4 online with a DS4 is gonna be like playing SFV online without a fighting stick.

Eh, gotta remember, the guy that won Marvel 2 years ago at EVO did so with a PS1 controller.

Anyone can be godlike with the input of their choice.

So is it actually a mouse or is it just emulating the sticks?

Emulates the sticks. It won't work well in all games because each game has different aiming speeds and acceleration. If you're serious about getting that unfair advantage in FPS games, you need a XIM4 as it has the best support and keeps getting new games added to it (usually 5-10 days from release).

terrible

Banned
I had a FragFX on PS3 and the only game it was even playable with was CoD. I was better with a controller than with that low quality POS. Too many games have weird acceleration and deadzones that don't play nice with a mouse on console. It's like trying to play the original Bioshock on PC without the mouse accel fix but worse. I've never tried an XIM or anything like that though so I don't know if they have some kind of sorcery that minimizes that stuff.

Eh, gotta remember, the guy that won Marvel 2 years ago at EVO did so with a PS1 controller.

Anyone can be godlike with the input of their choice.
that was SF4, and the comparison isnt valid. The upper limit on a pad in a fighting game and a stick are the same. The upper limit on M/KB and Pad in a shooter are leagues apart

theres a reason that balance in overwatch and rainbow 6 (terrorist hunt) are different on console and PC

What games will support this?

And why are they doing this? Really am confused by this.

As someone mentioned above this is going to impact competitive gaming.

You realize people have been doing this for years right? There's been input remappers that allowed you to use M/K since back on PS3. Maybe even PS2 I can't remember.

This is like the last vestige in the community that's really keeping true cross platform stuff from coming to fruition and letting MS and Sony to use it as an excuse. I truly hope that we see consoles eventually allowing M/K support in the future to finally kill this stupid crap. This is coming from someone who plays most games (including PC) with controller too. The best players still dominate pretty much regardless of control input. That being said they can always just allow people to opt out of crossplay or something if they're really bothered by it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I had a FragFX on PS3 and the only game it was even playable with was CoD. I was better with a controller than with that low quality POS. Too many games have weird acceleration and deadzones that don't play nice with a mouse on console. It's like trying to play the original Bioshock on PC without the mouse accel fix but worse. I've never tried an XIM or anything like that though so I don't know if they have some kind of sorcery that minimizes that stuff.

There are various ways to deal with that depending on games, sometimes there is no solution but it's rare for popular shooters.

There is tweaking page for sensitivity, ads and other stuff. Later version of XIM let you do really good stuff to the point while you don't have a raw input advantage the benefits of a mouse in general can easily be seen including a higher pollrate on usb. There are smart translator but I'm mixed on it even with good improvements. Stay away from knock off devices I've learned my lesson on them since trying this stuff on the first Xbox. Not hard to find advanced tweaking videos showing pages for things to deal with games.

ALL OF THEM
STAY OFFLINE

Not sure how credible the source is, but apparently rules may change with MLG stuff due to the setup being officially licensed.

That would be great. Really advance the input option for gaming and help to connect platforms. Net positive for most gamers outside the most competitive in specific ecosystems and only if they wouldn't take advantage of it. (hint they would) it would allow better disabled input controllers as something like an orbweaver is one of the best options for amputees etc.

Mesoian

that was SF4, and the comparison isnt valid. The upper limit on a pad in a fighting game and a stick are the same. The upper limit on M/KB and Pad in a shooter are leagues apart

theres a reason that balance in overwatch and rainbow 6 (terrorist hunt) are different on console and PC

I'd agree if the mouse wasn't a simple emulation of the stick movement. It's still going to be bound by the limits of the stick sensitivity.

Looks like Sony are OK with this, and I must admit I have no problem with it offline.

But I look forward to the day when devs can detect the use of this (and the Xim) in multiplayer and ban people from their game.

Mesoian

Looks like Sony are OK with this, and I must admit I have no problem with it offline.

But I look forward to the day when devs can detect the use of this (and the Xim) in multiplayer and ban people from their game.

It'll never happen until we get actual decent 3rd party cross play because the usage percentage of people actually on these things is so incredibly small, it's not worth anyone's time or money to detect.

Doesn't help that you have a vocal minority complaining to developers that crossplay should be removed or cancelled from upcoming games because of this issue.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Doesn't help that you have a vocal minority complaining to developers that crossplay should be removed or cancelled from upcoming games because of this issue.

They are a vocal minority but sony and ms don't rally care at this point. Healthy ecosystem vs basically what amounts to whiners who can't use filters if available. Tournies will ban accordingly if and when they want. What I hate is the input facism on the subject, what worse is pads don't suck but because they lack good global driver settings can't compete as much as they should with a mouse. They will never be equal to high end but with 360ce profile settings I have no problem stomping lower ranks of fps games or hanging tough in intense coops. Fud and ignorance are a dangerous mix especally on the subject.

Last Gen both companies were super weary compared to the gen before now they are slightly ahead of where they were in the PS2 era. I don't want full support. You can simply make input matchmaking filters and let things be.

I meant the leaderboards. It seems likely that a lot of the top players would use something like this

You know those guys/gals who spend thousands of hours on a game to be in the top 10 of the leaderboards. We never heat their name, they never get rewarded and hold back benefits for gaming as a whole? Let's not be those people. Unless you're making a living being a pro gamer (even then your leader board ranking doesn't really matter) then caring about that is entirely E-peen.

It'll never happen until we get actual decent 3rd party cross play because the usage percentage of people actually on these things is so incredibly small, it's not worth anyone's time or money to detect.

I don't know of any games where I'm playing against PC people with a keyboard mouse while I have a controller. So yeah, I don't think crossplay is anything to do with this, and I don't think that ever will, there is no way a developer will do crossplay for a first person shooter, for example.

Usage - yes, It's incredibly small, but doesn't mean it always will be. Call of Duty devs have mentioned detecting/banning Xim before, I think it was one of the black ops games. Maybe it never happened, maybe it turns out they aren't easily detectable, but it's come up before.

Shauk

Banned
I guess it still baffles me how this is ok when PS4 has native mouse and kb support. They've always passed it off as "well it needs to be supported by the developer if they want it to work in their games" yet they're ok with officially licensing and promoting shit like this to completely go against the developers.

Like why not just enable it at a firmware level to work with every game so I can use the $300 in PC gaming peripherals I already own instead of forcing me to drop another $150? oh wait I just answered my own question. What a scam.

Top Bottom