• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin |Series Discussion Thread| A Donderful World

When is the livestream? I want a wii u one with training mode! They probably won't do thay, though, because you'd have to use the controller.

Livestream is on Friday, but generally full scoops about the games come from Famitsu. Not sure if brand new game reveals have ever come out of the livestreams prior to this. Wouldn't be too surprised if it was just a title or logo without much other information.

This is, in all likelihood, either the second to last or last Wii U Taiko game, so hopefully they work towards matching the featuresets of the Wii games (Training, Taiko Dojo, Minigames, etc). The 10th anniversary game is the one that introduced Training on Wii, maybe this 15th anniversary game will do the same on Wii U?

I wish the Wii U aas hacked so I could import Taiko games for it like I did with my Wii :(

Yeah, for better or worse, the problem is that Wii U doesn't really have all that many Japanese exclusive titles people care about, so there's not as much interest towards a region-free solution as there was for 3DS. I could see some solution being found sometime down the line, though.

Aizo

Banned
I hope this next Wii U one starts with like 140 songs or gets better DLC support, because it's silly that the handheld games get more songs than the console ones. That doesn't make much sense to me. V version will likely already pass Tokumori with its next DLC update.

Wii U 3, Taiko no Tatsujin Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen, just announced. Coming November 26th.

3395daddfe.jpg

Tatacon bundle comes with some 15th anniversary goods, there's a new "Tomodachi Daisakusen" mode (which seems to involve all those animals somehow), and some song teasers, advertising lots of new songs.

Homepage opens on the 24th, so we'll probably start getting song reveals and new info starting then.

really with what's going down with tokumori i'd just be happy with promises of a consistent DLC schedule (still awaiting whatever they decide to drop for this month). i'd definitely accept a switch to paid content if it meant at least 4 new tracks a month for a year, including lots of console debuts like V Version gets. but yeah, for some reason they seem really hesitant to go too far above the 100 song line for on-disc tracklists, so we'll see.

until we get more info on the game, at least we have this:

First thing is, as has been pointed out by several news sites, Amiibo support! Only thing that really comes to mind for me are costumes, but maybe it could tie in to that new Tomodachi Daisakusen mode. But I'd definitely be down with getting some Nintendo outfits for my Don-chan (as long as it isn't only limited to, like, Mario and Luigi or something).

edit: Clearer boxart gives you a good look at the songlist on the side. Nothing really exciting me at the moment.

edit2: Taiko Time's got the listing

Brief update, the Wii U 3 official site is up. Surprisingly light on content, was at least expecting whatever the Amiibo support was to be detailed. Think we knew all the songs on the featured song list but one or two already.

Pretty much the same deal as Tokumori. Baton Touch, Introdon, and Mekadon Gasha all return. Tomodachi Daisakusen is basically a Mission Mode where you befriend various animals by fulfilling requirements while playing songs. And evidently you can feed the animals or something idk I don't really get it, lol.

Hoping the inevitable Famitsu spread sheds a lot more light onto the game because as is, it seems much less ambitious than the final two Wii games were, despite this likely being either the last or second last Wii U Taiko game. Guess I'm feeling kinda spoiled by V Version's songlist because the songlist for this game isn't exciting me at all right now, lol. Hoping for some cool stuff announced in the near future!

ILoveBish

I'm going to wait and hope that the drums will get a lil cheaper for wii ones since the new game has been announced and likely more drums will be made for it. The price i'd like to end up with is 80 for 2 drums shipped. Right now its 100+ from amazon for 2.

Aizo

Banned
Have they said a number or guess for the number of total songs?
Needs a Kyary song. If they put Mondai Girl in, I'd be happy. I need to see more game music. More Nintendo stuff, please.

ILoveBish

I lucked out, my buddy from japan came through, i shipped out 2 new drums from amazon to his place and he is going to mail it to me. Might have them next week. Awww yiss, i am hyped as heck.

just noticed we went another month without tokumori dlc. goddammit wii u 3 better not have this problem, lol

Have they said a number or guess for the number of total songs?
Needs a Kyary song. If they put Mondai Girl in, I'd be happy. I need to see more game music. More Nintendo stuff, please.

If they're not advertising the song count, I'd say the same as the previous game is a pretty likely guess. So expect the same number as in Tokumori. If there was a jump in the on-disc song count, it'd be on the box like Wii 4 and Wii U 2.

Yeah, was hoping we'd get some good Nintendo tracks this time around too, but the headlining game music track on the box being Dragon Ball Heroes doesn't have me optimistic, lol. I thought that after a bunch of Taiko composers worked on the Smash Bros OST, we were pretty much guaranteed some of its music, but nope. And there's no new Pokemon game coming out this year so we won't even get that!

Maybe the Amiibo functionality is that each Amiibo unlocks a corresponding song, lol. One one hand that'd basically make it really bad, expensive, hard-to-find DLC (and I'd have to unbox mine D:) but... part of me almost wants it just for the number of awesome tracks it'd bring
but not really because that'd be a horrid implementation of Amiibo. Maybe if you could just buy the songs separately via the eShop too...

I lucked out, my buddy from japan came through, i shipped out 2 new drums from amazon to his place and he is going to mail it to me. Might have them next week. Awww yiss, i am hyped as heck.

Damn, nice. That's pretty much as good as you can ask for, then. Congrats!

ILoveBish

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0BlJCaW.jpg[/img]

These things are WAY bigger then i expected. I literally thought they were small drums you sit on your lap and were cute. They're freakin huge. The drum is pretty much the size of the box, so i put a DS4 on the box to show the scale. Going to bust them out maybe saturday.

Impotaku

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0BlJCaW.jpg[/img]

These things are WAY bigger then i expected. I literally thought they were small drums you sit on your lap and were cute. They're freakin huge. The drum is pretty much the size of the box, so i put a DS4 on the box to show the scale. Going to bust them out maybe saturday.

Nice pickups especially to get them new as well, always good to have a backup for 2 player fun or just in case one craps out after extensive playing. Hehe they are big but compared to the next one up they are pretty small, once you become addicted it will be time to enter hori pro controller territory.

SAM_1251%20res.jpg

SAM_1252%20res.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for that.

Are there difficulty tiers?

If it's like the PSP game, then in the music selection screen you use left/right to choose the song and up/down for the difficulty (the color changes to notify what difficulty you are in).

But I don't remember any of the colors =X

edit: It says in the link posted above.

ILoveBish

Ok, i tried out the drums. They miss hits like crazy. And i have to hit the crap out of it to register. It got so loud my neighbors hit the ceiling from it being so insanely loud. Is there any adjustment of any kind for these to take light taps? As is, these are pretty useless to be truthful. They'll be fun for parties where i take the drums and games over for get togethers, but at home, its rather bunk.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh my god.

Whenever don-chan his (her?) little dance.

I just feel so happy inside.

Now I really want to get a plush don-chan.

Impotaku

Ok, i tried out the drums. They miss hits like crazy. And i have to hit the crap out of it to register. It got so loud my neighbors hit the ceiling from it being so insanely loud. Is there any adjustment of any kind for these to take light taps? As is, these are pretty useless to be truthful. They'll be fun for parties where i take the drums and games over for get togethers, but at home, its rather bunk.

The standard drums unfortunately all have that problem you really have to whack them hard to get them to register, my wrists used to kill after a short while when playing on standard ones. That's one of the reasons i upgraded to the pro controller as the sensors are better meaning i didn't have to batter the drums like my life depended on it to get hits to register also you don't have the problem of the drum constantly moving across the floor as you hit it as the standard ones are just far too light. But even the pro controller is noisy, i'm afraid you won't be playing quietly with either.

There are mods to increase the sensitivity but they are tricky as they involve fully tearing your drums apart and it can take many attempts to get it right. So you'll be putting it back together and opening it up a lot.

Aizo

Banned
Oh my god.

Whenever don-chan his (her?) little dance.

I just feel so happy inside.

Now I really want to get a plush don-chan.
I'm happy to see us both posting in the same thread again after so long. It's a wonderful game, isn't it?
Personally, when the eels dance, I feel so happy.

A few really simple mods should probably end up being helpful when it comes to noise reduction and improved sensitivity. My bad experience with mods mostly comes from trying everything and messing with more than necessary. Being conservative in choosing only the mods you need and the ones that are low-risk should really leave you with no problems.

1. Wrap a towel or cloth around the face of the drum and rubber band it in place. I even do this one with my pro controller, it's extremely simple and helps reduce noise and reduce scuffing the drum surface. Worth trying different towels and cloths to see which noise/sensitivity tradeoff works best for you (the cloth I use now has extremely minimal sensitivity loss, and most don't really affect it much, but if you end up using, like, a huge towel, expect some tradeoff). Playing the drum on a yoga mat or something similar should also help reduce noise and help the drum stay in place (the pro controller comes with a grippy mat, a yoga mat should work similarly).

2. Remove the back of the drum with a screwdriver and stuff the center with tissues like this. Should help to reduce noise. I've also seen people line the inside of the back cover with clay to add weight to the drum.

3. After going a bit further inside the drum, behind the face sensor, there's a sponge. Replacing the sponge with a corkboard of the same dimensions should make the drum more sensitive.

That's pretty much the extent of the low-risk mods I can personally recommend. Other stuff involves messing with the sensors or tearing some parts out... and that's where I ended up having problems, lol. Evidently they're pretty easy to do and lots of people had success with them, it's just tough for me to recommend them in good conscience due to needing to scrap a controller due to some pretty irreparable damage I did. If you want more info about any of these mods, let me know.

That being said, I've always found their sound to be the biggest hurdle. The sensitivity issue can generally be overcome, it just requires hitting hard and making a lot of noise. Currently I can play up to 10 star on my pro controller, and up to 9 star on my stock Tatacon. So, while it's a bit rough, it's still viable. A lot of the noise reduction stuff can be done with household objects and might be worth a shot.

ILoveBish

The standard drums unfortunately all have that problem you really have to whack them hard to get them to register, my wrists used to kill after a short while when playing on standard ones. That's one of the reasons i upgraded to the pro controller as the sensors are better meaning i didn't have to batter the drums like my life depended on it to get hits to register also you don't have the problem of the drum constantly moving across the floor as you hit it as the standard ones are just far too light. But even the pro controller is noisy, i'm afraid you won't be playing quietly with either.

There are mods to increase the sensitivity but they are tricky as they involve fully tearing your drums apart and it can take many attempts to get it right. So you'll be putting it back together and opening it up a lot.

A few really simple mods should probably end up being helpful when it comes to noise reduction and improved sensitivity. My bad experience with mods mostly comes from trying everything and messing with more than necessary. Being conservative in choosing only the mods you need and the ones that are low-risk should really leave you with no problems.

1. Wrap a towel or cloth around the face of the drum and rubber band it in place. I even do this one with my pro controller, it's extremely simple and helps reduce noise and reduce scuffing the drum surface. Worth trying different towels and cloths to see which noise/sensitivity tradeoff works best for you (the cloth I use now has extremely minimal sensitivity loss, and most don't really affect it much, but if you end up using, like, a huge towel, expect some tradeoff). Playing the drum on a yoga mat or something similar should also help reduce noise and help the drum stay in place (the pro controller comes with a grippy mat, a yoga mat should work similarly).

2. Remove the back of the drum with a screwdriver and stuff the center with tissues like this. Should help to reduce noise. I've also seen people line the inside of the back cover with clay to add weight to the drum.

3. After going a bit further inside the drum, behind the face sensor, there's a sponge. Replacing the sponge with a corkboard of the same dimensions should make the drum more sensitive.

That's pretty much the extent of the low-risk mods I can personally recommend. Other stuff involves messing with the sensors or tearing some parts out... and that's where I ended up having problems, lol. Evidently they're pretty easy to do and lots of people had success with them, it's just tough for me to recommend them in good conscience due to needing to scrap a controller due to some pretty irreparable damage I did. If you want more info about any of these mods, let me know.

That being said, I've always found their sound to be the biggest hurdle. The sensitivity issue can generally be overcome, it just requires hitting hard and making a lot of noise. Currently I can play up to 10 star on my pro controller, and up to 9 star on my stock Tatacon. So, while it's a bit rough, it's still viable. A lot of the noise reduction stuff can be done with household objects and might be worth a shot.

Had i known this, i wouldn't have gotten the drums in the first place to be perfectly honest. I think the OP should be updated letting people know about the severe shortcomings that come with these things. That said, i'm extremely good at dyi fixes. So if you have a link to guides on how to modify the drum internally, please post them and i'll make a project out of it. I just REALLY want them to be more sensitive, that is my #1 concern. Missed hits makes them useless. I'll quiet them down later.

Had i known this, i wouldn't have gotten the drums in the first place to be perfectly honest. I think the OP should be updated letting people know about the severe shortcomings that come with these things. That said, i'm extremely good at dyi fixes. So if you have a link to guides on how to modify the drum internally, please post them and i'll make a project out of it. I just REALLY want them to be more sensitive, that is my #1 concern. Missed hits makes them useless. I'll quiet them down later.

Yeah, sorry to hear about that, man. :/ Based on impressions it seems the build quality is just getting worse and worse. The Wii bundle ones I got some years back aren't great, but like I said before, they're pretty workable once you consistently hit hard enough. Shame if it's just getting less responsive. Maybe that's their idea of incentivizing arcade play over home play?

Anyways, a Gaf member actually went about translating some of the most common sensitivity mods, so hopefully this should be helpful. Some of the alternates to filling in the dots I've seen include just tearing out the whole holed sponge and replacing it with a circular piece of rubber (this is what I tried and ended up having to scrap that drum for), and filling them with small bits of tissue and covering them with tape instead of using the rubber dots. So... hopefully one of these end up working for you!

A buyer's guide is definitely a good idea, and I'll try to draft one up along with other OP revisions. If you end up going through with some of the mods, I can add some of that info as well. Anyways, good luck, and sorry that it's not working too well for you.

Some brief notifications.

1. Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX for PSP is having its DLC support ended at the end of this month. Meaning starting October 1st, DLC for the game will no longer be purchasable or redownloadable. There's a ton of great DLC for the game, including plenty of free songs, so if you haven't downloaded them yet, definitely do so! Maybe if you plan on getting the game in the future you can even download them to a memory stick for now.

2. Taiko no Tatsujin Tokumori just had its last batch of DLC released, including Kibun Jojo, JoJo ~Sono Chi no Sadame~ and JoShimedore 2000+. As usual, all free, get on them if you're able. In a bit all DLC will either be converted to paid, or be removed altogether.

News has been a bit slow lately, but things are picking up now. V Version's October DLC songs will be announced tomorrow (perhaps Touhou to coincide with Groove Coaster getting it?) and both Wii U3 and Im@s Best Songs are being featured at TGS, so it's possible we'll get new info about those as well.

batrush

Tried out Taiko Plus for a few hours. I dismissed it before due to my preference for buttons, but even with the small screen of my 4S it's not bad at all. With the expandable track list, this could become my favorite way to play Taiko.

Pricing is pretty much always 600 yen for a 5 song pack, and the subscription service (100+ songs along with free additions monthly and for colabs) is 250/week, 500/month, 1400/3 months. And iTunes uses a 100 yen to 1 dollar conversion rate last I checked. They also just released a PV for it to help give you a better idea of what it's like.

Speaking of which, we've also got some new PVs for Wii U3 and for Must Songs. Not too much info about the former, but lots of new stuff about the latter. 40 songs each, with Red focusing on older tracks and Blue on newer ones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm happy to see us both posting in the same thread again after so long. It's a wonderful game, isn't it?
Personally, when the eels dance, I feel so happy.

Hah yeah, it's been awhile. Though I'll probably be back in that other thread once I've got other stuff settled.

Also been chipping it away and hard can get really brutal. Also tried to have a go at quest mode but I can't make head nor tails of it.

Aizo

Banned
It's really lame that songs get completely removed from the downloads, even for games with other songs still up. I wish there was a way to get those Nintendo songs for the first Wii U taiko. It's the only thing stopping me from picking it up sooner.

Hmm, since taiko plus launched a subscription model I'm having a lot of fun playing on iphone/ipad and thinking about purchasing the bluetooth controller.

I'm looking around on amazon these go for as little as £27, but the reviews do mention issues with latency, what experience have you guys had with the hardware, do you still think it's worth a purchase?

Oh wow, they did get really cheap lol

I mean, I can't say I have any experience with those controllers in particular, but I'd also go in expecting the same level of sensitivity of the Wii ones, if you have experience with those. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the cork used for modding is listed as frequently purchased along with it lol. So that's just another thing to keep in mind.

That being said it's cheap enough that I may take a chance on it myself lol

Do the 3ds games work with regionfree in US 3ds ?

Yeah, assuming there's still a working region free solution (haven't really been following it), both 3DS games work fine, though you can't get the second game's DLC and will be stuck with what's on cart.

November's Taiko livestream just wrapped up, and of most interest to this thread (probably) would be the new details about Wii U3. As would be expected, we got new song announcements on the webpage, some unlockable songs announced on stream, as well as the first batch of free DLC for the game (I don't have a picture of it at the moment). We also learned that the game will support both the Pac-Man Amiibo, unlocking the Game Music track "Eat'Em Up" and a Pac-Man themed outfit and frame, as well as the full line of Animal Crossing figures and cards, unlocking an Animal Crossing New Leaf medley and Animal Crossing themed outfit and frame. Both the music tracks will also be unlockable using the Mekadon-gasha, but the outfits and frames are strictly Amiibo exclusive.

Other news included the announcement of the next arcade upgrade, White Version, along with showing off some tracks that will be debuting there. V Version information was also discussed, but it was all stuff we already knew that was posted in the V Version thread, aside from announcing which Falcom tracks would be part of the poll.

One more noteworthy piece of news is that starting November 19th, Wii U1 will be removed from the eShop, and Wii U2's DLC will either be removed, or converted to paid DLC. So jump on all that before it's too late.

Aizo

Banned
WiiU3 looks dull so far. It's tracklist contains so many songs I already have in other games.
I guess I should download WiiU1 soon... shit. I don't know what to do about that one.

Alright, we got the initial White Version songlist and visuals, with the promise of a release date next week. Translation via Taiko Time. A lot of catching up to V Version's licensed tracks, but the rest should give us a good idea as to what to expect for V Version/Wii U3 DLC, or 3DS3's tracklist
except the touhou tracks lol

Finally got around to unlocking everything in Wii U2 in time for Wii U3. Hoping they have a hell of a lot of good stuff saved for Wii U3 in the Namco Original department, because there's still about 40 songs to be revealed to hit the 100 mark, and Wii U2 was so damn complete with its Namco Original selection. Really have no idea how it's gonna play out. But between it and Must Songs in the next few weeks, I'm gonna have a lot of Taiko for a good long time...

Aizo

Banned
Ew. More Sekai no Owari, and it's their very worst hit. Will not be playing that one.

I'll definitely play snow halation, though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Man, after dealing with Oni to get the Platinum in V Version I'm simply steamrolling through everything in P4D and Theatrhythm. Nothing stops me anymore.

Ew. More Sekai no Owari, and it's their very worst hit. Will not be playing that one.

Ahaha, you should know it's coming at this point!

Man, after dealing with Oni to get the Platinum in V Version I'm simply steamrolling through everything in P4D and Theatrhythm. Nothing stops me anymore.

Oh wow, congrats!

I'd like to get one for my brother. Got a link?

Here it is on Cospa, but idk how their international shipping works so it's also on amiami if you just search for Taiko.

Top Bottom