• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takashi Tokita (FFIV, more FFIV, even more FFIV, FF Dimensions) teasing a Switch game

Can you smell what the Tokita is cooking?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Famassu

this poll reflects what I am afraid of :

seiken densetsu collection fails : SE : "well, switch owners don't want our games"

seiken densetsu collection is a success : SE : "well, let's release more overpriced ROMs, switch owners seem to like that, let's not bother with other games"
You do understand that ports are rarely if ever a huge amount of resources away from the development of new games? If the collection is successful, yeah, we'll possibly get more such collections, but it's not like Bravely Third or TWEWY2 will not get made in favor of more collections. Completely different studios would make them.

kromeo

Wonder if GAF would survive Chrono Trigger successor being announced.

We will never know.

A successor to the superior Chrono Cross would do strange things to my reproductive organ

Never played that version, but FFIV is one of my favorite games ever. What is unique about the PSP version?

Also, what are people's opions on Dimensions?

It has updated graphics without looking absolutely hideous like the DS remake. It's also far easier unfortunately

Never played that version, but FFIV is one of my favorite games ever. What is unique about the PSP version?

Also, what are people's opions on Dimensions?
PSP version comes with the Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy IV Interlude (a short gameplay chapter that's set between IV and TAS, and Final Fantasy IV The After Years (a sequel to IV).

Game also uses highly detailed 2D sprites and personally looks amazing. Switch between classic and rearranged versions of the songs. FFIV also has the Game Boy Advance secret dungeons and secret boss.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the sprites in the PSP version look real shitty. Overdone flash style animations. Otherwise its a great version.

Famassu

I thought the PSP FFIV's spritework is almost as ugly as the mobile FFVI ones (excluding enemy battle screen ones). Much prefer the OG and even the DS 3d chibi-ish look.

FinalAres

I know Tokita feels that it's not his place to remake other directors' games, but man... please consider FFV and FFVI. Those games' original directors are not interested in revisiting them, and they do not deserve to be remembered for those mobile abominations.
Didn't he remaster V and VI for mobile?

Hope they will follow through and it won't take forever.

GAF? Who knows. But I might not!

As much as I am looking forward to it, for me Shenmue 3 is child's play compared to Chrono Trigger. This would be on the level of FF7 Remake.

FF7:Remake was announced like 2 minutes before Shenmue 3 was - they were back to back at Sony E3 2015.

If Gaf can survive Last Guardian PS4 re-reveal, Horizon Zero Dawn reveal, FF7:Remake Reveal, and Shenmue 3 reveal all in the space of 30 minutes, with other E3 traffic already circulating, there's no lone announcement that can bring it down. Not even Half Life 3.

I thought the PSP FFIV's spritework is almost as ugly as the mobile FFVI ones (excluding enemy battle screen ones). Much prefer the OG and even the DS 3d chibi-ish look.
latest

latest

giphy.gif

I never played the PSP version, but I do remember one thing I found weird from looking at screens--since the old sprites were completely replaced with ones double the size, it ended up being the version of the game with the least of the game world displayed. Well, less than the GBA version anyway; maybe the Wonderswan Color version was similar.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If you want a CT successor it is already out on the Switch.
Buy Setsuna, people.

I did, and I'm trying it but after two hours ... it's so slow.
The whole experience has this weird melancholic feeling that is a bit uninspired.

It's certainly no carnival flaired mysterious adventure ride the first two hours of CT is

Really glad to see Square get behind the Switch. Would prefer to play my RPG's on the Switch. Hopefully we start getting info at e3 on some of these games, whether they are ports of existing games or unannounced games.

Obviously a Chrono Trigger sequel would be absolutely amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

PSP version comes with the Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy IV Interlude (a short gameplay chapter that's set between IV and TAS, and Final Fantasy IV The After Years (a sequel to IV).

Game also uses highly detailed 2D sprites and personally looks amazing. Switch between classic and rearranged versions of the songs. FFIV also has the Game Boy Advance secret dungeons and secret boss.

YES

I'd love to see the PSP version make it over! SE should have stuck with that graphical style/engine for all of their sprite-based FF projects thereafter.

Buckle

Been aching for a Chrono sequel for almost twenty years now.

Too many E3s and broken dreams since then though. Long since given up.

Gonna guess this is just to announce a console port of the new FF Dimensions/legends game.

tsundoku

If you want a CT successor it is already out on the Switch.
Buy Setsuna, people.

Don't buy that garbage
Its final fantasy 2 wearing a chrono trigger skin as a visage

Also Chrono Break would probably be really bad if you've ever played in order of worseness:

After Years, Chrono Trigger DS's """bonus content""", or After Years absurdly bad bridge chapter they added in the PSP complete version

Speak for yourself bucko.

DS version 4 lyfe tho. How is the difficulty in the PSP ver.? Comparable to DS, cause that was just about perfect difficulty for me.

No the PSP complete version is a hilarious joke, the DS version matches / enhances upon the original game's / good versions of after years difficulty

FF4 get way more love than it deserves

I hate to say that but they kind of keep messing up every attempt to update it

Its tedious and mechanically deficient as an RPG

Its held up mostly for its iconic story, characters and themes

Joqu

Y'all sleeping on Dimensions.

So many people have. It's a proper classic Final Fantasy game as far as I'm concerned.

I do wish I didn't have to play with the ugly mobile art since it had pixel art originally, but it's still very much worth playing. I love the soundtrack too.

Top Bottom