• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two "burning cash at an alarming rate".. GTA4 expected Fall 2007

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Isn't one of the Rockstar guys one of the T2 board/execs? I reckon it's more likely they'd break away and go independent (the subsidiary pretty much behaves on its own timetable anyway) rather than be bought by someone else. They'd become really cash rich that way, and would probably demand some really tough details on any deal with a publisher. I can see them going with EA (Partners is the third-party bit of the company, right? It does Battlefield, etc. doesn't it?) just for distribution.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
AdmiralViscen said:
Hot Coffee was not a selling point.

I wasn't referring to that, considering it was a hidden bit of code that didn't pop up until well after the successful sales of the series... I just find the game's content distasteful, and which they could have put in the gameplay without (seemingly) waving the content around on a stick and going "NYAA NYAA NYA NYAA NYAA."

However, I am in the minority here.

mj1108

jman2050 said:
EA getting GTA would cause this forum to implode.

Featuring EA TRAXXXX!

Then we'd end up seeing yearly updates:

GTA '06
GTA '07
GTA '08
GTA: Most Wanted
GTA: Featuring Nintendo All-Stars!

Many haters want to see Take-Two's demise. Take-Two is a rogue publisher that's been willing to take chances and its demise, while premature at this point, will not be good for the industry.

Amused_To_Death said:
Many haters want to see Take-Two's demise. Take-Two is a rogue publisher that's been willing to take chances and its demise, while premature at this point, will not be good for the industry.
I believe this.

mj1108

Amused_To_Death said:

ANY publisher/developer demise is not good for the industry.

Amused_To_Death said:

They're also a developer who last gen was best known for Spec Ops because it was terrible but still managed to sell over a million. This gen they've turned into a quality developer with the biggest series in console gaming. But they've become so big, with a series people blame for giving gaming bad media attention so they'd prefer that the company just die.

DDayton

Amused_To_Death said:

I think most folks just want to see the demise of the GTA series and its spiritual cousins that emerge from the folds of Take-Two, to be honest. I haven't heard much against Serious Sam, for example.

DavidDayton said:
I think most folks just want to see the demise of the GTA series and its spiritual cousins that emerge from the folds of Take-Two, to be honest. I haven't heard much against Serious Sam, for example.

I guess the question then is, why? What does anyone gain from having those games go away other than losing a quality gaming franchise?

SolidSnakex said:
I guess the question then is, why? What does anyone gain from having those games go away other than losing a quality gaming franchise?

Yes, of course....it's the "gamer's" haterade erection. The greater the downfall to some infantile mentality of "gamers" created from some irrational belief for a so called "idealistic gamer's paradise," that somehow is only their's and not others to enjoy as they see fit, which includes any company that stands in the way of their belief, the bluer the balls.

mj1108

SolidSnakex said:

I would say maybe it would help deter people blaming violence for games....but common sense would say that if Take 2 went under and GTA was no more, they'd find another game to bitch about.

mj1108 said:
I would say maybe it would help deter people blaming violence for games....but common sense would say that if Take 2 went under and GTA was no more, they'd find another game to bitch about.

Hmmm....I wonder what's next after GTA then?

DDayton

SolidSnakex said:

Well, amazing as it might sound, some of us are still convinced it is a step backwards as far as gaming "growing up" goes -- much like the Mortal Kombat games. It's as though someone developed a very interesting idea, but made sure to spread a layer of controversy and sludge on top JUST enough to make sure that it got some extra shock value. Is that the actual intent of the game itself? Probably not, but it does little to advance games, in the opinion of some folks.

As a really horrible example, suppose one made a WWII history exhibit that was quite detailed and interesting, but also let you use a bayonet to stab dummies, who would them realistically bleed, lose organs, and collapse on the floor. While that might well add some realism and fit with the theme of the war, most normal folks would consider it rather crude and shocking. It's vaguely the same thing -- while one can appreciate the effort at making a game open ended, the amount of violence to innocents that can be achieved (or is thought to be possible) turns off large chunks of society.

Every time this discussion comes up, I feel like I'm trying to explain to my high school class why I don't want them cursing in class.

DavidDayton said:
Well, amazing as it might sound, some of us are still convinced it is a step backwards as far as gaming "growing up" goes -- much like the Mortal Kombat games. It's as though someone developed a very interesting idea, but made sure to spread a layer of controversy and sludge on top JUST enough to make sure that it got some extra shock value. Is that the actual intent of the game itself? Probably not, but it does little to advance games, in the opinion of some folks.

The actual idea and concept of GTA has to have stuff people aren't going to approve of at times. At its core its a game that allows you to do what you want, and that's why its so popular. It doesn't put restrictions on you like the majority of games. You want to be the bad guy? Fine, go ahead and be it. Want to be the good guy? That's fine too, go ahead and be it. Want to be a police officer, cab drive, ambulance driver ect ect? Fine. That's what so many people who like to focus on violence don't get, its popular because of its freedom. When you start ot take that away you take away the reasons why people love it so much. It'd be like taking away stealth from a MGS or SC game, you're taking away its core concept.

So whether or not you might dislike the things you can do, it has helped gaming. Developers are giving gamers more freedom in the way certai ngames can be played since the release of GTA. And that's certainly not a bad thing. Having more than 1 way to play a game is good.

DDayton

SolidSnakex said:
The actual idea and concept of GTA has to have stuff people aren't going to approve of at times. At its core its a game that allows you to do what you want, and that's why its so popular. It doesn't put restrictions on you like the majority of games. You want to be the bad guy? Fine, go ahead and be it. Want to be the good guy? That's fine too, go ahead and be it. Want to be a police officer, cab drive, ambulance driver ect ect? Fine. That's what so many people who like to focus on violence don't get, its popular because of its freedom. When you start ot take that away you take away the reasons why people love it so much. It'd be like taking away stealth from a MGS or SC game, you're taking away its core concept.

So whether or not you might dislike the things you can do, it has helped gaming. Developers are giving gamers more freedom in the way certai ngames can be played since the release of GTA. And that's certainly not a bad thing. Having more than 1 way to play a game is good.

... although some might argue that 1) freedom existed beforehand, or that 2) you can allow freedom without necessarily going so far into graphic content and implication. You can offer freedom without necessarily delving into the display of it. It's not the freedom as much as the way the freedom is allowed to be expressed, if that makes any sense.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Who didn't see this coming? Take-Two is a shady company through and through. It has nothing to do with GTA, it has to do with shifty accounting, crooked board members, multiple SEC investigations, being caught in lies more than once, not to mention the infamous "Hot Coffee" scandal.

If anything, GTA's success just delayed the inevitable. A less successful company guilty of all this probably would have been brought down ages ago.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Probably mismanagement, giving Rockstar more then they need. They are already arrogant pricks as a studio from what I hear.

Plus major investments in 2K Games, (buying Irrational, Firaxis, etc)

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
mj1108 said:
Featuring EA TRAXXXX!

Then we'd end up seeing yearly updates:

GTA '06
GTA '07
GTA '08
GTA: Most Wanted
GTA: Featuring Nintendo All-Stars!

GTA III - 2001
GTA VC - 2002
GTA DP - 2003
GTA SA - 2004
GTA LCS - 2005

Link

The Autumn Wind
VCS = Vice City Stories?

Was this confirmed to be the new PSP GTA or are you just speculating?

Rockstars confirmed it several times now. I should say they've confirmed a new GTA PSP is coming, not GTAVCS, but it makes the most sense.

bengraven

DjangoReinhardt said:
GTA III - 2001
GTA VC - 2002
GTA DP - 2003
GTA SA - GTA Advance - 2004
GTA LCS - GTA: SA Special Edition - GTA Trilogy - 2005

QFT. And edited to add a few.

HomerSimpsonMan said:
Yes, of course....it's the "gamer's" haterade erection. The greater the downfall to some infantile mentality of "gamers" created from some irrational belief for a so called "idealistic gamer's paradise," that somehow is only their's and not others to enjoy as they see fit, which includes any company that stands in the way of their belief, the bluer the balls.

Every hater seems to have a series they want to die. If they had it their way, there would be no more Halo, Final Fantasy, GTA, etc. And 9/10 they've never even played a game in the series. It's funny, but sometimes popular games actually live up to their hype. I love the after-mentioned series and would be heartbroken if said games failed.

I love Lunar, too, but killing GTA won't bring it back.

I like playing gta

I like playing mario

I like playing Final Fantasy

Gaming is fuN!

some of you need a new hobby, you take this shit too seriously. :)

DDayton

People here on GAF taking stuff too seriously?

Whatever in the world are you talking about?

(Cough)

Pimpbaa

SolidSnakex said:
Rockstars confirmed it several times now. I should say they've confirmed a new GTA PSP is coming, not GTAVCS, but it makes the most sense.

And after that GTASAS :D

Ronok

STFU please. The GTA series is above and beyond the thug crap.

Since when? I mean GTA might be the best of the "thug crap" games, but, it isn't above them.... In GTA you = a thug....... You go round doing thugish things, to get your thugish thrills in your thugish neighbourhood.......... In general the game has become popular because of it's thugish ways so in what way can you say it's above the others? Does it have like some deep rooted message that being a thug is bad or something? If it does I missed it on my ways running people down on my way to the next mission.....

So yeah, you can take all that "thug crap" drop the GTA series right into the center of it and I'm pretty sure you won't see some divine light drop down on it before it rises above and beyond everything else.........

Oh and, Take Two don't really deserve to be in any better position then they are in right now.. Not suprized at all. :-/

Kabuki Waq said:
I need a next gen MIDNIGHT CLUB!!

In their press release, Rockstar said they plan on bringing one of their series to the 360 this year. I'd think MC is the most likely candidate for that.

Ronok said:
Since when? I mean GTA might be the best of the "thug crap" games, but, it isn't above them.... In GTA you = a thug....... You go round doing thugish things, to get your thugish thrills in your thugish neighbourhood.......... In general the game has become popular because of it's thugish ways so in what way can you say it's above the others? Does it have like some deep rooted message that being a thug is bad or something? If it does I missed it on my ways running people down on my way to the next mission.....

So yeah, you can take all that "thug crap" drop the GTA series right into the center of it and I'm pretty sure you won't see some divine light drop down on it before it rises above and beyond everything else.........

Oh and, Take Two don't really deserve to be in any better position then they are in right now.. Not suprized at all. :-/
And fuck that stupid "Godfather" movie. All they do is kill people and eat canolis.

TT /= Rockstar or GTA. GTA, and R*, will live on. If they go independent and publish their own games or if they let someone else do it, it doesn't matter.

Guy LeDouche said:
And fuck that stupid "Godfather" movie. All they do is kill people and eat canolis.

TT /= Rockstar or GTA. GTA, and R*, will live on. If they go independent and publish their own games or if they let someone else do it, it doesn't matter.

I for one hope they do, Awesome moments in GTA, a very special game to me!

Pakkidis

I think it has to do with the fact that there in a transition period, making games from one generation to another usually costs alot of money in the beginning

[Nintex]

With all those copies of GTA sold how can they end up in this position?
... OMG

Its happening the analysts predicted , day before tommorow omfg... the big videgame climate change.... The second CRASH!

Link1110

It would be ironic if they had a financial downfall after having the most successful franchise this generation.

Well, Acclaim published the first 2 (I think) Mortal Kombats, and look what happened to them.

Come to think of it, Midway's not doing particulary well, either (Haven't heard from them in a while.)

[Nintex] said:
... OMG

Its happening the analysts predicted , day before tommorow omfg... the big videgame climate change.... The second CRASH!

if you really like gaming a second crash really wouldnt be that bad.

Pimpwerx

[Nintex] said:
... OMG

Uh oh. Looks like second impact. Here comes Lilith. ;) PEACE.

Ranger X

Link said:
Who didn't see this coming? Take-Two is a shady company through and through. It has nothing to do with GTA, it has to do with shifty accounting, crooked board members, multiple SEC investigations, being caught in lies more than once, not to mention the infamous "Hot Coffee" scandal.

If anything, GTA's success just delayed the inevitable. A less successful company guilty of all this probably would have been brought down ages ago.

O RLY?

You mean TakeTwo is like all 150% of all publishers out there?

Niko

Banned
I think GTA in 2007 is a good thing. Don't water down the series too fast. Yearly iterations of a game for a single platform will lead me to never buy the game again.

Foil said:
I'm probally one of the few who wants a next gen Smugglers Run. :/
Never played the sequels, but the original rocked my socks. I still have it on my HDLoader.

It was sandbox before GTA3 and had fun multi

bumpkin

Yeah, if Take-Two tanks, EA would most definitely pick up GTA publishing, and then, the end would be nigh.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pedigree Chum said:
I love how retard Nintendokiddies are rejoicing. Hopefully Bish's banhammer finds its way into this thread.

Why do they have to be "Nintendokiddies"? Is it not possible to be a Sony fanboy or Xbox fanboy and also not like GTA?

SKOPE

bumpkin said:
Yeah, if Take-Two tanks, EA would most definitely pick up GTA publishing, and then, the end would be nigh.
I doubt it. EA appears to be moving away from its "we want to be seen as the Disney of the gaming industry" stance, but Grand Theft Auto is still too dark and gritty for Larry Probst and friends.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SKOPE said:
I doubt it. EA appears to be moving away from its "we want to be seen as the Disney of the gaming industry" stance, but Grand Theft Auto is still too dark and gritty for Larry Probst and friends.

Er..what?

Top Bottom