• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talents you wish you had

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could play an instrument, my sister was really talented at it and wanted to do it myself. I could not get the hang of it and got frustrated and quit.

Makai

Pretty much anything.

playing games well
coding
socializing
being creative in general

Would all be pretty nice.
All just take practice.

Coding is awesome because you notice your skill increase exponentially for the first few years. At least that has been my experience. Every year I have been able to look back at my own code from the previous year and laugh.

DEATH™

I think some of you guys confuse talent and skill

Talent: something you are born with.

Skill: Something you can obtain.

Talents are voice range, athleticism, height and the likes.

However, playing an instrument? Drawing and Painting? Solving Math and Physics problems? Coding? Writing? Even being good at Videogames. Those things are skills. You guys CAN obtain it with knowledge, willpower and discipline going hand in hand. Don't get discourage people!

PS thanks PSY S for promoting the thread ;)

robotrock

Banned
I wish I could make sick beats. I've been trying to record a rap mixtape over the last 3 years or so but I just suck at making enjoyable music due to my lack of dedication to learning the program.

I also wish I could rap

PSY・S;158753305 said:
You guys are in luck because there's a thread for that!

Art Self Study |OT| Putting the Fun in Art Fundamentals

Naah. Spatial awareness , finger coordination , etc. I lack all of that.

Sure i could improve , because im so bad it would be impossible not to get better , but nowhere near the level i find acceptable.

DEATH™;158787562 said:
I think some of you guys confuse talent and skill

Skill: Something you can obtain.

Talents are voice range, athleticism, height and the likes.

However, playing an instrument? Drawing and Painting? Solving Math and Physics problems? Coding? Writing? Even being good at Videogames. Those things are skills. You guys CAN obtain it with knowledge, willpower and discipline going hand in hand. Don't get discourage people!

I understand what you're saying but i wouldn't say obtain. Maybe improve. When i was 3-4 i was able to do arithmetic operations very naturally (so much that looking back people kinda treated me like a circus monkey lol) , but i could never draw at all. Obviously my framework was directed to some abilities more than others.

Buzzati

Banned
I wish I was a good artist. Hell, even a halfway decent artist. Some of the stuff I've seen on the internet is just so good. It must feel amazing to be able to express your love for something through fanart, or to create your own world, or portray your emotions artistically. I'm baffled by how fast amazingly good fanart shows up on sites like pixiv after a game's announcement, for example. If you're talented enough, you can whip up a piece of art in a matter of hours, sometimes less.

I really envy people with artistic talent.

Check out "Drawing on the RIght Side of the Brain." Fascinating perspective on artistic talent.

Vibed

I'm a really good singer physical technique wise (combination of somewhat good vocal genes and A LOT of hard work with lessons) but I'm awful at music theory or any of the technical parts of music. I've practiced, but transposing or cite singing music is still a incredible hurdle for me. Can't pick out notes in a chord very well either, which makes it a bit more difficult for me to do harmonies when I don't have the notes already ingrained in my head.

It sucks when you're both an accomplished musician and a complete amateur at the same time. I'm encouraged to chose a music minor or major by my teacher because of my talent but if I did it'll take a lot of work to overcome music theory. >_<

Besides that, I always thought it'd be cool if I was a better artist, but art takes time, and I'm too impatient. Plus, physically I'm incredibly slow at writing and drawing, which makes it all take too much time for me. :p

Relativ9

Certainly wish my emotional intelligence was a bit higher. It don't find it hard to identify and understand emotion in others at all, in fact I'm quite good at it. But the range of my own emotions are so limited and minimal that many people find me cold, distant, and apathetic. To me it feels like "not sweating the little stuff" but I've gathered that what I consider pointless drama, un-resolvable situations (and therefor not worth fussing over) or inconsequential loss, is usually highly stressful, emotional, or crushing to others.

I'm not a sociopath, I know I have feelings, it just takes a lot more to move me, and I've given up faking it.

DEATH™

Sure i could improve , because im so bad it would be impossible not to get better , but nowhere near the level i find acceptable.

I understand what you're saying but i wouldn't say obtain. Maybe improve. When i was 3-4 i was able to do arithmetic operations very naturally (so much that looking back people kinda treated me like a circus monkey lol) , but i could never draw at all. Obviously my framework was directed to some abilities more than others.

yes it is obtained. i have the same background as you. i could never draw at all but decent at math to a point where i took engineering. i cant even draw decently at high school. i thought the same way as you...

then i had a semester where I took engineering drafting, artgerm recommended me to look up loomis, and i found proko, all at the same time. with all the knowledge obtained, everything clicked. for just a couple of months, i have improved massively that people around me say Im talented. ironic since its the complete opposite back then. im not saying im really good now, but i finally have a direction when studying art.

the problem for people is that rhey literally do not know where to start. and its totally understandable. most of the online tutorials have no structure to them, and art classes around have varying degrees of quality, to a point where even some established professional artists say its a waste getting an art degree.

that's kinda why I created the art self study thread. im fortunate that i got all the resources i needed right to my lap, where others look for those things for years.

if you guys are serious at art, check it out ad the "drawing a day" and "arts and farts" thread. there is a lot of helpful people around that will help you on whatever you need

art self study
http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1010752

drawing a day
http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=571281

arts and farts
http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=294420

I'm great at drawing but mentally projecting images (aka thinking of an idea and drawing it from mere thought) is the one thing I wish I could do.

I always need visual reference or I can't draw something. :(

Turok_TTZ

I wish I had musical talent.

Picking up languages easily as well. I admire and envy those who can speak more than 3 languages.

styl3s

Ever since i was a kid i wish i could draw :-/

I tried the whole art class and books and practicing but i just can't do it.

People say this a lot, but have you considered you were more exposed to situations which fostered mathematical ability in your youth, as opposed to drawing?

Amalthea

Banned
I'm great at drawing but mentally projecting images (aka thinking of an idea and drawing it from mere thought) is the one thing I wish I could do.

Thing is there are both an easy and a hard way of drawing mental images.
One has you draw something absolutely initutively as if you were possesed by someone or something else.
The other is developing an interesting visual in your head that you have to draw like from a photograph or a real object. Just that it exists only in your mind and that's a much more nebulous reference than you might think since mental images are never that clear. This approach needs quite a bunch of sketches and sometimes multiple attempts to get it right, if ever.

DEATH™

Ever since i was a kid i wish i could draw :-/

I tried the whole art class and books and practicing but i just can't do it.

dont give up man! what is the problem that u got stuck?

People say this a lot, but have you considered you were more exposed to situations which fostered mathematical ability in your youth, as opposed to drawing?

this. so much. it all depends on how much material you got exposed to alot.

no shame in using refs man. in fact its encouraged to always get things right. however you might want to learn mass conception and gesture to at least not be fully enslaved by your reference.

I don't have a clear image of my life when i was 3 :) , but as far as i recall...no. Math was simply very natural. I remember being young and having experimented drawing...and struggled.

DEATH™;158812270 said:
yes it is obtained. i have the same background as you. i could never draw at all but decent at math to a point where i took engineering. i cant even draw decently at high school. i thought the same way as you...

then i had a semester where I took engineering drafting, artgerm recommended me to look up loomis, and i found proko, all at the same time. with all the knowledge obtained, everything clicked. for just a couple of months, i have improved massively that people around me say Im talented. ironic since its the complete opposite back then. im not saying im really good now, but i finally have a direction when studying art.

I'm a structural engineer. It's not something i havent experienced , graphic arts was something i had to go through. And even applying myself during that time i always struggled. I knew my limitations , and i know that was very detrimental for me because there were simple goals i failed to achieve.

But i'll look into your threads !

Loofy

Home Improvement.

Man imagine just going into homedepot like it was your playground. Need new floors and a new bathroom? no need to pay someone $20k, just grab a cart in home depot and go crazy.

Fatalah

fBfjoso.gif

j.rob

Music and Art for sure.

Worst thing is, I would actually be a pretty incredible guitar and piano player I'm sure by now. Only 11 year old me couldn't be bothered to continue with my musical lessons.

Every time I see someone playing an instrument, I can't help but wish I could go back in time and just tell my kid self to continue taking the damm lessons when I didn't have other aspects of adult hood getting in the way. Plus, my parents had the mentality of "If he doesn't want to do it then lets not force him", which I wish they did force me to do so.

When I have a child i'm going to do my best to push them into learning some form of instrument for sure.

MattyG

Banned
I wish I was musical. I tried learning the guitar once and just couldn't do it. I really want to learn the drums to, but I know there's just no way I could do it. I can't even play the drums on Rockband well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom