• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talents you wish you had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I were more dedicated to actually studying art, some days I can go through an art book or a session, and it sticks well, then others it's like I'm repeatedly smashing my head against a wall, with no results. And yet ironically, I know it's from the hard ones you will learn the most, yet I feel completely defeated in those.

To those who wants to learn drawing/art, just start doing it, it's all about mileage.

Zona

Writing aptitude. I don't know if it's some undiagnosed learning disorder or what but writing is a painful process for me. To the point where in collage it was easier for me to give a presentation in the form of a thesis defense for an hour in front of three professors then to write a one page paper on the topic. The Written Word is my bane.

Saganator

I wish I could be one of those people who can visualize and solve math problems in their head. I wish I was better at math, in general.

LegendX48

Wish I were more dedicated to actually studying art, some days I can go through an art book or a session, and it sticks well, then others it's like I'm repeatedly smashing my head against a wall, with no results. And yet ironically, I know it's from the hard ones you will learn the most, yet I feel completely defeated in those.

To those who wants to learn drawing/art, just start doing it, it's all about mileage.

Sometimes you have to smash that wall, just keep hitting it over and over, it will break.

And then you find a new wall >.>

Hellcrow

Socializing maybe? I have no problems getting and maintaining friends, but I get dead tired from parties and social gatherings.

Aon

Fly a helicopter. Also; be able to easily acquire enough money to easily own a helicopter.

There's something very appealing about the total freedom over another space of moment that a helicopter offers. Like a car magically opens up a lot of the world that lies off public transportation routes, a helicopter would theoretically open up a hell of a lot more.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm pretty decent at music, and I loved to act (and was fairly good at it), but I'm really piss-poor singer and dancer, which sucks because I would've love to have done musicals in high school but could only ever make straight plays. Now granted, now that I'm older, I don't really care that I'm not a good dancer (I really loathe dancing anyways, but if I was better I might care more) but still wish I could sing worth a damn; my singing voice is really raspy and stupid because I'm bad.

Making money.

I mean I'm a stem major with pretty good grades so I'll be fine in the long run but I wish I had the ability to make serious cash.

Sometimes you have to smash that wall, just keep hitting it over and over, it will break.

And then you find a new wall >.>

Oh yes indeed, the wall can be tough as nails, but even a crack can help.

In the times of going through zones of discomfort, it always helps starting from places of comfort, reminds me of how I used to never draw humanoid characters, but very good at creatures, because no references, no real rules but when I began again, I knew I had to go through the process, first the head, then the body, hands and feet, and then repetition. It's hard to see progress, until we look back, and see how much, we have travelled. Sometimes more than others.

DEATH™

I don't have a clear image of my life when i was 3 :) , but as far as i recall...no. Math was simply very natural. I remember being young and having experimented drawing...and struggled.

I'm a structural engineer. It's not something i havent experienced , graphic arts was something i had to go through. And even applying myself during that time i always struggled. I knew my limitations , and i know that was very detrimental for me because there were simple goals i failed to achieve.

But i'll look into your threads !

graphic arts? Like graphic design? That isnt my forte lol.

But for Drawing in general (figure drawing especially), its important to simplify everything into simple forms (spheres/ovoids, cylinders, and prisms), all in perspective. Thats where the drafting skill helped me alot. It surprised me how complex figures become approachable this way.

Just visit the art self study thread for help man!

The ability to sing

Karaoke is one of my biggest joys in life, but I know I cannot sing and people don't like the sound I produce. Having the ability to hold a tune would make others happy about my passion.

I can draw, paint, etc. but I'd trade that to be an expert caliber singer ( like the male equivalent of Mariah Carey's voice or something lol). Being able to draw well is mostly about practice and knowledge anyway.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I wish I was a good artist. Hell, even a halfway decent artist. Some of the stuff I've seen on the internet is just so good. It must feel amazing to be able to express your love for something through fanart, or to create your own world, or portray your emotions artistically. I'm baffled by how fast amazingly good fanart shows up on sites like pixiv after a game's announcement, for example. If you're talented enough, you can whip up a piece of art in a matter of hours, sometimes less.

I really envy people with artistic talent.

Trust me OP, it doesn't stop. I work as an artist, and even I am constantly envious by the fucking amazing art I see online and from coworkers.

DEATH™;158861326 said:
graphic arts? Like graphic design? That isnt my forte lol.

But for Drawing in general (figure drawing especially), its important to simplify everything into simple forms (spheres/ovoids, cylinders, and prisms), all in perspective. Thats where the drafting skill helped me alot. It surprised me how complex figures become approachable this way.

Just visit the art self study thread for help man!

No . I dont know shit about that either ehehe. Perspective drawing , Technical/Architectural/Engineer drawing . Not figure illustration . It also starts from the same initial point. Simplified forms (and what you wrote makes perfect sense). And my limitations were pretty clear.

ibyea

Banned
Playing the piano. I like it, and through sheer persistence have managed to learn a few things by myself, but I don't have the time because physics majoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom