• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales announcement next Tuesday

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I don't mean the amount of additions, I mean the end result. ToP will not look dramatically better than ToE did, and SCEA may just decline it for being 2D.

Right, that is why this was approved! :lol

935094b.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I don't mean the amount of additions, I mean the end result. ToP will not look dramatically better than ToE did, and SCEA may just decline it for being 2D.

So now SCEA hates 2D games on PSP!?!?!?!

PS. I heard a new rumor that SCEA hates games that start with a T and won't approve any future games that begin with the letter T.

ThirdEye said:
LTTP. What happend to Tales 360?

They saw the X360 sales numbers in Japan.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
*looks at who they are coming from*

Yeah, surprising...

See, this is why I'm SICK of this attitude. Let's see, if Sony and Square Enix are the ONLY ONES that have bothered to actually add shit to their ports so far and no other company has. Why is it then suddenly BIAS that they're approved? Find me ONE example of a enhanced port that was denied and I'll let you play the Bias card. Until then, kindly stfu over there. :D

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I can't believe we're even talking about the same game here... Valkyrie Profile, right? Enhanced???? ..... :lol

Does it or does it not contain everything that was in the PS1 version content-wise, and also contain additional content and material not present in the original. That's the technical definition of an enhanced port. Why does everyone have to go fanboy when discussing SCEA policies? There's nothing really biased or loose about certain of their policies. People just want to make up reasons why certains things should qualify when they clearly don't and play the Bias card. I'm sick of that. :p

Edit: Let's see, have you even played Valkyrie Profile on the PSP?

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Does it or does it not contain everything that was in the PS1 version content-wise, and also contain additional content and material not present in the original.
Hmm, that's debatable, because they actually took stuff out in order to add stuff :p The events now represented by movies are no longer present in their original form. So some stuff was removed. That may be a good thing as far as SCEA is concerned though.

Why does everyone have to go fanboy when discussing SCEA policies?
Eh? Most people are annoyed when a game they want to play is denied release in their country, on grounds as simple as "it contains no enhancements over the original".

There's nothing really biased or loose about certain of their policies. People just want to make up reasons why certains things should qualify when they clearly don't and play the Bias card. I'm sick of that. :p
There's nothing bias or loose about the policies, but the policies are stupid. The only reason Generation of Chaos made it out in the US is because the PS2 version doesn't exist over there. It's still just an unenhanced port, right?

Edit: Let's see, have you even played Valkyrie Profile on the PSP?
Yes, and I'm appalled. The stretching horizontally is one thing, but when it stretches vertically in the small rooms, it's a real eyesore. The shadowing in dark dungeons is poor too, but that's a hardware issue and can't really be blamed on TOSE. I also hated the way music got screwed up by the FMV. It was really a messy port, IMO.

Funny link, for kicks - bias? nosiree.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:

I guess you missed this:

Plus 30 mins of CG = 30% of new content = hahahah.

I agree with duckroll that SCEA has no BS "WE HATE 2D GAMING AND GOOD GAMES" decree that everyone with a Nintendo avatar makes them out to be. SCEA doesn't want 100% identical cheap ports flooding their system, which sounds fair. Add some extras and there's no reason they'll reject it.

But that doesn't mean some companies can't still get around the 100% direct port = nono rule. But I don't see how Square's bribes have any relation to why a Namco game with REAL NEW CONTENT won't get passed.

The Sony hate on this forum is strong these days. You'd think they were the devil and just ate everyone's newborn babies while clubbing their parents with PSPs.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Eh? Most people are annoyed when a game they want to play is denied release in their country, on grounds as simple as "it contains no enhancements over the original".

Being annoyed is not the same as saying it's biased. :p

There's nothing bias or loose about the policies, but the policies are stupid. The only reason Generation of Chaos made it out in the US is because the PS2 version doesn't exist over there. It's still just an unenhanced port, right?

It's not really a port of the PS2 game. It's a sort of gaiden. GoWIV ~Another Side~ Doesn't exist on the PS2. :p

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
I agree with duckroll that SCEA has no BS "WE HATE 2D GAMING AND GOOD GAMES" decree that everyone with a Nintendo avatar makes them out to be. SCEA doesn't want 100% identical cheap ports flooding their system, which sounds fair. Add some extras and there's no reason they'll reject it.
What the ****, dude. You know I've stood by Sony's side this entire generation. My avatar has no bearing on SCEA's stupid ****ing decisions regarding major PS2 titles that were not released in the US because they were 2D. Their hatred of 2D is well-documented and there is no bias anywhere in this discussion.

But that doesn't mean some companies can't still get around the 100% direct port = nono rule. But I don't see how Square's bribes have any relation to why a Namco game with REAL NEW CONTENT won't get passed.
Why was ToD2 not released in the US?

The Sony hate on this forum is strong these days. You'd think they were the devil and just ate everyone's newborn babies while clubbing their parents with PSPs.
Get off your high horse, Bebpo. It's like you've never bad-mouthed DS or Wii on here.

Bebpo

Banned
PS2 DOES NOT EQUAL PSP

I don't get why you don't get that.

PS2 rules do not apply to the PSP. Portable systems are KNOWN FOR 2D GAMING. Modern consoles ARE NOT.

Are you going to tell me Loco Roco won't be released in the US now?

Kittonwy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
What the ****, dude. You know I've stood by Sony's side this entire generation. My avatar has no bearing on SCEA's stupid ****ing decisions regarding major PS2 titles that were not released in the US because they were 2D. Their hatred of 2D is well-documented and there is no bias anywhere in this discussion.

Why was ToD2 not released in the US?

Get off your high horse, Bebpo. It's like you've never bad-mouthed DS or Wii on here.

Why so upset? You can read Japanese and import those games (especially with PSP games now that there's no region lock), I can't read Japanese and I'm nowhere near as upset as you, it's not like other console makers and publishers are automatically approving Japanese games for release stateside either, lots and lots of games never make it over the atlantic/pacific.
Indifferent2.gif

Jonnyram

Kittonwy said:
Why so upset?
I'm only upset with Bebpo's apparent thinking that I hate Sony because I have a Nintendo avatar :p

It's not like other console makers and publishers are automatically approving Japanese games for release stateside either, lots and lots of games never make it over the atlantic/pacific.
Yep, it's the same the other way. There's lots of stuff released in the West that never comes out in Japan for whatever reason too.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I'm only upset with Bebpo's apparent thinking that I hate Sony because I have a Nintendo avatar :p

Yep, it's the same the other way. There's lots of stuff released in the West that never comes out in Japan for whatever reason too.

Bebpo has a point, cheer up!!! You need to get a cute Sony avatar!!!
Indifferent2.gif

I hope without the region lock and the Blu-Ray having the capacity to store multiple region dialog, it will be less risky and easier to release PS3 games (JPN and Western) across all regions, localization still won't be easy though.
Indifferent2.gif

cvxfreak

Namco predicts 700,000 sold for Destiny PS2, and 500K for Phantasia PSP.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

If you believe this post, you suck.

MrDaravon

cvxfreak said:
Namco predicts 700,000 sold for Destiny PS2, and 500K for Phantasia PSP.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

If you believe this post, you suck.

Actually I wonder how ToD2 PSP will sell, seeing as the original did very well for Namco, wonder if any of that will transition over or not.

Zeed

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay, I think ToP has a HUGE chance of being released in the US. Here's what's new in the PSP version:

Tales of Phantasia ~Full Voice Edition~

- new character sub-stories
- new face chat skits
- new animation movies
- reproportioned sprites for battles, the size of each sprite is 3 heads instead of 2 heads, so it's slightly less SD
- complete full voice recording of the main story scenario with extras
- grade shop opened on completion of the game
- takes advantage of the PSP widescreen giving more view instead of stretching
- save and load anywhere feature.
Oh yes, yes, give it to me! Bring it to the US! This will have made getting a PSP worth it at long last!

Cheerilee

duckroll said:
Fact: ToE, BoF3, Rockman Dash, Rockman Dash 2, Suikoden I+II, Princess Maker and Devil Summoner are total cheap ports to the PSP with zero additional content. The later two don't even have a proper widescreen option.
pm1vacationa10q18bn.png

Want.

mutsu

SailorDaravon said:
Actually I wonder how ToD2 PSP will sell, seeing as the original did very well for Namco, wonder if any of that will transition over or not.

People just can't get enough of Tales games, so surely it will do well.

In all seriousness, I am definitely getting ToD. It is my favourite Tales game to-date (though haven't played Rebirth, Abyss, Legendia). Sadly, I actually haven't finished the original on the PS, so this is a must buy for me.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
duckroll said:
Fact: ToE, BoF3, Rockman Dash, Rockman Dash 2, Suikoden I+II, Princess Maker and Devil Summoner have been rejected by SCEA.

What a harsh fact it is.

cvxfreak

Well, to top things all off, it's a better time to be a Tales fan than an RE fan.

C'mon Capcom! Imitate Namco and put those RE games on a handheld!

On a sidenote, seeing this thread made me wonder if SCEA's "policies" were why RE1 went to DS rather than PSP. I wouldn't say it's an impossible reason. :lol

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
cvxfreak said:
On a sidenote, seeing this thread made me wonder if SCEA's "policies" were why RE1 went to DS rather than PSP. I wouldn't say it's an impossible reason. :lol

But..the knife man, the knife. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Magicpaint said:
But...but... Tales of Destiny 2!

Thats where the subsystems came in. The whole SP system made it rather strategic and wouldnt let you spam the same combos over and over without a penalty. There was also the whole enhance system.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
tod ps2 looks awesome! one of these tales games needs to ditch the rpg stuff altogether and become a guardian heroes clone.

LegatoB

duckroll said:
Okay, I think ToP has a HUGE chance of being released in the US. Here's what's new in the PSP version:

Tales of Phantasia ~Full Voice Edition~

- new character sub-stories
- new face chat skits
- complete full voice recording of the main story scenario with extras
Will be cut for US release. Namco Hometek hates dubbing any more than they absolutely have to. If we're lucky the skits will be Tales of Symphonia-style, where they proceed exactly like they did in the Japanese version only now they're silent! :lol

drohne said:
tod ps2 looks awesome! one of these tales games needs to ditch the rpg stuff altogether and become a guardian heroes clone.
This would make my year. Screw this "40+ hour story" bullcrap, let's just hack and slash our way through it right quick!

Top Bottom