• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales announcement next Tuesday

Tadaima

Emotions said:
Get Tales of the Abyss when it comes out or Tales of the Tempest for the DS once it's out as well. Original entries ftw.

ToA in Europe? I'm doubtful, but you never know ;_;

Yup, looks really crowded fall for tales.

- Tales of Destiny (PS2)
Remake from PlayStation version
Release: December 2006 (Japan)

- Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP)
Release: 2007 (Japan)

- Tales of Phantasia ~Full Voice Edition~ (PSP)
Remake from GBA/SNES/PS versions
Completed: 80%
Release: 7th September 2006 (Japan)
Price: 5,040Y

- Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP).
Completed: 40%
Release: December 2006

- Tales of the Tempest (NDS)
Release: October 2006
Price: 5,040Y

Images recopilation:
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv06-2006-gamefront/1798.html
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv06-2006-gamefront/1797.html

PD: So the 5-game announcement rumor from Famitsu was true afterall :)

Oh man, this one...

http://www.animate.tv/nf/detail.php?id=0000000693
tos9eq.jpg

Tales of Symphonia OVA in 2007! :lol

BluWacky

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Tales of Symphonia OVA in 2007! :lol

God, I may be a Tales fan but WHY? Symphonia's plot is shit, and the Phantasia OVA was awful (coherency? What need do we have for coherency?). Plus they've given it to UFO Table, of all people, to animate...

I'll probably still watch it anyway :(

Saoh

jesus namco, give the series a rest. too many ports of the same game :S

and 3 titles for PSP?? namco making horrible incompetent decisions again.

Saoh said:
jesus namco, give the series a rest. too many ports of the same game :S

and 3 titles for PSP?? namco making horrible incompetent decisions again.

The Tales series has always sold best on Sony systems, so it is a great decision

jarrod

Banned
So... who making these games exactly?

Tales of Destiny (PS2)~ Team Destiny definitely

Tales of Destiny II (PSP)~ Tales Studio's port team? Maybe TOSE?
Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition (PSP)~ ditto

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP) Alfa System or have they been booted?

Tales of the Tempest (DS) Team Symphonia? Team Legendia (Namco)? It's not looking like Team Destiny now...

Archie said:
How many Tales games are there now?
Well, same as before, just a new The World spinoff plus 3 port/remakes...

I don't know how did Eternia do in Europe but I think better than Phantasia...Destiny 2 PSP has a greater chance than Destiny PS2 imo. Phantasia PSP has none imo too.

duckroll

Link1110 said:
I reiterate, how were Eternia's sales in Europe? Any chance of this in english there?

But the conditions are totally different. Eternia was already completely translated before, they just used the same script. ToD2 has never been released outside of Japan, so it would cost a ton more to get it out in english.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
But the conditions are totally different. Eternia was already completely translated before, they just used the same script. ToD2 has never been released outside of Japan, so it would cost a ton more to get it out in english.
I can see Ubisoft doing it, they're so desperate for RPGs they're picking up stuff like Lost Magic and Astonishia Story. Like Eternia though, I doubt it gets past SCEA.

For future US releases, I can only really see Tempest (Nintendo or Namco Hometek) or Radiant Mythology (Ubisoft or Namco Hometek) making it from this stuff. Destiny PS2, Phantasia PSP and Destiny II PSP have almost no chance.

WalkMan

Banned
duckroll said:
That's why it will be a hit, we've never laid eyes on ToD2 before. :) Plus if translated well, SCEA will let it through like they did with PoPoLoCrois.

If not, then I hope XSeed will work on the translation and get it over here.

Archie said:
How many Tales games are there now?

Previous console generations:

Tales of Phantasia(SNES, 1995)
Tales of Destiny(PSOne, 1997)
Tales of Phantasia(PSOne, 1998)
Tales of Eternia(PSOne, 2000)

Current gen:

Tales of Destiny 2(PS2, 2002)
Tales of Symphonia(Gamecube, 2003)
Tales of Phantasia(GBA, 2003)
Tales of Symphonia(PS2, 2004)
Tales of Rebirth(PS2, 2004)
Tales of Eternia(PSP, 2005)
Tales of Legendia(PS2, 2005)
Tales of the Abyss(PS2, 2005)
Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition(PSP, 2006)
Tales of Destiny(PS2, 2006)
Tales of Destiny 2(PSP, 2007)

Previous gens - 4 games
Current gen - 11 games

I might be missing some. These are only the main games in the series, so the list doesn't include spin-offs.

duckroll

WalkMan said:
That's why it will be a hit, we've never laid eyes on ToD2 before. :) Plus if translated well, SCEA will let it through like they did with PoPoLoCrois.

If not, then I hope XSeed will work on the translation and get it over here.

Poplocrois' case had nothing to do with a good translation, it was just simply not a mere port. They remixed two PS1 games into a single game with many changes and different events, including FMVs.

Link1110

tale_106.jpg

OMG OMG O-M-G! They're using Rebirth's battle system for the ToD remake. That's the best one in the series. Now I want this game even more.

WalkMan

Banned
duckroll said:
Poplocrois' case had nothing to do with a good translation, it was just simply not a mere port. They remixed two PS1 games into a single game with many changes and different events, including FMVs.
Tales of Destiny 2 can just be remixed with Tales of Destiny 1 for a massive 100 hour RPG :)

jarrod

Banned
Viewtiful Darkness said:
I might be missing some. These are only the main games in the series, so the list doesn't include spin-offs.
You're missing Tales of the Tempest (DS, 2006).

duckroll said:
It probably had more to do with being a SCEI port, which seems to get it special treatment. See also: Ape Escape PSP.

Matix

TOD-Remake look WOMG hot, and TOD2 on the go sounds awesome (especially since it never made it outside Japan). Does Tales Of The World have any Online play, and have they explained how TOTT will support Nintendo WiFi.. ?! Anyway, please let these games come to the States (or at least Europe). Although, they can forget about the TOP-Port (had enough of that shit already).

KurowaSan

if they translate Tales of Desitny into english... will "EASE" come back!!? :lol
(those who managed to finish Tales of Destiny for psx will understand... i hope :lol )

MoxManiac

duckroll said:

It doesn't matter. SCEA shot down PSP Devil Summoner for being a port, despite us never getting it.

Eid

Three games for the PSP and only one for the DS? I can't believe the PSP is still getting so much support, even with its weak sales in Japan.

Link1110

Three games for the PSP and only one for the DS? I can't believe the PSP is still getting so much support, even with its weak sales in Japan.

PSP is selling better overseas though (Though, since only ToD2 has any real chance of leaving Japan, and even then, not even coming to America, that point is moot.)

believe

ethelred

This is really the most shockingly disappointing set of announcements. Thanks, Namco.

Link1110 said:
PSP is selling better overseas though (Though, since only ToD2 has any real chance of leaving Japan, and even then, not even coming to America, that point is moot.)

believe

Man, you sound like a Gamecube fan! "Bubububut Symphonia sold more in America!" Since when does Namco care about worldwide sales?

Anyway, DS is still leading worldwide, and RPG sales haven't been great on the PSP outside of Japan or within... like I said, Namco seems to be betting everything on Eternia not being a fluke. But 3 new games compared to the 1 already announced DS one is still surprising, and switching the Tales of the World series from GBA to PSP is pretty weird, too.

Eternia sold good so they give PSP two more ports...DS can't manage ToD2 and it already has ToP from GBA. I mean, yeah PSP got 3, but DS can only cry over The World...

Tales of Destiny little bigger images...
lgeto139qm.jpg

lgeto141pm.jpg

lgeto158ym.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
ToD looks better in the direct-feed stuff. Still not sold on outside of battle art, but the battle sprites look good.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
WYWY said:
So in summary from the official site,

Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition
PSP - 7th September

Tales of Destiny
PS2 - Winter

Tales of The World Radiant Mythology
PSP - Winter

Tales of Destiny 2
PSP - 2007

More details to be revealed on 21st, tomorrow.

*Tales of the Milkman*

So, basically, it's just a bunch of ports (sans The World)? Weak. GTFO namco.

Bebpo

Banned
Kintaro said:
So, basically, it's just a bunch of ports (sans The World)? Weak. GTFO namco.

Next-gen transition :\

Dec 2007 = Team Symphonia/Abyss's next-gen 3D rpg on PS3/X360...BELIEVE!

MrDaravon

Tales of Destiny Remake = Awesomeness
Tales of Phantasia PSP = Looks horrible, and why??
Tales of the World = Looks awesome
Tales of Destiny 2 PSP = Awesome if done well

I swear to God US better get at least some of these, aside from Phantasia. Also these are all the dungeon games, right?

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage

Is Summoner's Lineage a dungeon crawler too? Also can any importers/Japanese GAFers comment on any of these or the quality? I picked up Dungeon 3 when it was $20 on P-A a while back because I'd heard good things, wondering if that or any of the others are worth picking up. Probably decent Japanese practice as well.

Soul4ger

Summoner's Lineage is strategy.

And I'm somewhat worried about Tales of the Tempest. Wasn't it supposed to be out last Spring, and they delayed it until Summer? And now October? I hope it turns out all right. Sometimes, delay is good. Other times, not so much.

Crocodile

BluWacky said:
God, I may be a Tales fan but WHY? Symphonia's plot is shit, and the Phantasia OVA was awful (coherency? What need do we have for coherency?). Plus they've given it to UFO Table, of all people, to animate...

I'll probably still watch it anyway :(

Ummm..... UFOtable is ****ing awesome. I mean even if you aren't a fan of the narratives of their original creations you have to admit from a technical standpoint (animation and the such), they blow away most other Japanese animation studios.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
I'm really excited for the new announcements. It's not mind-blowing, but really good.

I'm happy that I just got a PSP from my cousin.

SailorDaravon said:
Tales of Destiny Remake = Awesomeness
Tales of Phantasia PSP = Looks horrible, and why??
Tales of the World = Looks awesome
Tales of Destiny 2 PSP = Awesome if done well

I swear to God US better get at least some of these, aside from Phantasia. Also these are all the dungeon games, right?

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage

Is Summoner's Lineage a dungeon crawler too? Also can any importers/Japanese GAFers comment on any of these or the quality? I picked up Dungeon 3 when it was $20 on P-A a while back because I'd heard good things, wondering if that or any of the others are worth picking up. Probably decent Japanese practice as well.

ToP PSP sure looks better than the GBA version.

So ...

Tales of Phantasia
Japan:
SNES -
PS1 -
GBA -
PSP -
USA:
GBA -

Tales of Destiny
Japan:
PS1 -
PS2 -
USA:
PS1 -

Tales of Eternia
Japan:
PS1 -
PSP -
USA:
PS1 -
Europe:
PSP -

Tales of Destiny 2
Japan:
PS2 -
PSP -

Tales of Symphonia
Japan:
GC -
PS2 -
USA:
GC -
Europe:
GC -

Tales of Rebirth
Japan:
PS2 -

Tales of Legendia
Japan:
PS2 -
USA:
PS2 -

Tales of the Abyss
Japan:
PS2 -
USA:
PS2 -

Tales of the Tempest
Japan:
DS -

I'm seeing a trend ... so, in the next generation, should we expect ports of Symphonia, Abyss, Rebirth, and stuff like that?

And I thought S-E was bad with port-crazy stuff like this.

Top Bottom