• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales announcement next Tuesday

LegatoB

The new ToD sprites look pretty bleh to me. Probably low-resolution with a filter slapped on it if we're lucky. I'd say something like "well, hopefully they'll make the gameplay less frustrating" but I sincerely doubt Namco Bandai would spent that kind of effort on the game.

ToP doesn't mean jack to me unless it gets an English release (I already have one uncompleted Japanese-language Tales game for my PSP), and I wonder if the GBA version and European PSP release of Eternia sold well enough to warrant it. Either way, we won't get the benefit of the "full voice edition" because we all know how much Namco Hometek (now Namco Bandai Games America) loves to cut voices from Tales games! :lol

As for ToW, I'm waiting for more than two or three teaser shots to pass judgment.

Questions:

1) Will SCEA approve a PSP game that is from all appearances a marginal improvement over a recently-released Game Boy game?
2) Will SCEA approve a PS2 game that is from all appearances a remake of a PS1 game that was already released here?
3) Does anyone even buy these games?

Amir0x

Banned
by the time Namco is done with this, Kobun, then officially nobody will be buying them anymore

maybe 50,000, though, if they're lucky!

Kittonwy

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Questions:

1) Will SCEA approve a PSP game that is from all appearances a marginal improvement over a recently-released Game Boy game?
2) Will SCEA approve a PS2 game that is from all appearances a remake of a PS1 game that was already released here?

Yes, yes and yes?
Indifferent2.gif

kiryogi

Banned
Even as a big as hell Tales fan I'm pretty irritated/disgusted here. ToW is probably the only mariginal interesting announcement. Bring on my Rockman Project info!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
by the time Namco is done with this, Kobun, then officially nobody will be buying them anymore

maybe 50,000, though, if they're lucky!
But they will still expect to sell 500K.

It's pretty sad though that the most interesting Tales games not released yet in Japan are a DS game and a PSP dungeon game.

Mau ®

Kobun Heat said:
Questions:

No, no and only GC fans :p

Seriously, if the ToP remake has new content (voiceovers, new levels, improved shit) I might see it coming here.

ToW, these games have never been released here and I don't see the appeal in a Dungeon RPG but meh... there's a chance.

Still, these are all terrible cash-ins!!! WTF!

Namco is a big follower of Square-Enix it seems.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm kinda a Tales fan and I'm excited that I'll get new versions of ToD and ToP since they're the only Tales games remaining that I haven't played.

...but I'm extremely disappointed that ToDr is running on the Rebirth 2d engine. The backgrounds and sprites look ripped right out of ToR and ToR, besides it's good battle system, was not a very good game or visually impressive at all. WTF is the point of remaking a 2d game in 2d again? Wow, the sprites are larger and look uglier......right. Since Abyss is actually a very nice looking game I was looking forward to playing ToD for the first time with great 3d environments and nice looking characters...but no, now it's just ReDESTINY and who wants to bet they screw it up somehow so it's a worse game than the original?

At least ToP should be the PS version (best) + full voice + no load times (if Eternia is any indication), which would make it the best way to experience the game for the first time.

So anyhow, Destiny/Rebirth team has been doing REDESTINY! So then who is making Tempest...Legendia team?

Bebpo said:

So anyhow, Destiny/Rebirth team has been doing REDESTINY! So then who is making Tempest...Legendia team?

Team Rebirth/Destiny2 = Destiny Remake
a few people in the corner = crappy dungeon crawler
Team Phantasia/Destiny/ = Another stupid Phantasia port

Legendia and Abyss/Symphonia team ... ?

......Just how many teams ARE there??

MrDaravon

The ToD remake is obviously just a quick remake, easy money for them. Were you guys seriously expecting a full 3D remake like Abyss? o_o

I was at least expecting an original title for any system.

Well, there's still Tales of the Tempest, which looks hot.

And, of course, America still is awaiting the best one--Tales of the Abyss! :D

Bebpo

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
The ToD remake is obviously just a quick remake, easy money for them. Were you guys seriously expecting a full 3D remake like Abyss? o_o

Yes ;_;

It's almost like they started making ToDr when they found out the PS3 wouldn't be out and they needed a quick Tales game for 2006.

Bebpo said:
Yes ;_;

It's almost like they started making ToDr when they found out the PS3 wouldn't be out and they needed a quick Tales game for 2006.

bingo.

because, of course, they can't leave a year tales-absent.

Is everyone off their rocker?

Why the hell is ToD being in 2d a PROBLEM? its better that way, the sprites look awesome, just like Destiny 2 and Rebirth, and if the combat and difficulty is anything like ToD2 we are all in for a treat, cuz the original was a joke after you beat batista, you can put it on auto for the rest of it.

I'm excited about both phantasia and destiny.

Destiny will be a much needed update of an awesome game with awesome characters, with detailed sprites, like tales games should be.

Phantasia will be another portable tales, looks like combat is getting revamped a little, and that article also mentions something about full voice, i imagine its for story sequences like the newer games, but thats still another MASSIVE update to a classic.

EDIT: Its called the ToP FULL VOICE EDITION ZOMG

Tales of the world ill look into if its got voice, the series hasnt interested me in the past, but the title of this one: Radiant Mythology, just sounds cool

Shouta

I'm perfectly happy with a 2D remake of Destiny. I'm not a fan of the graphical style of Abyss or Symphonia. Also, seeing Stahn and the gang in anything other than 2D has always been weird. The only thing I would really miss is Abyss' full use of all three dimensions rather than the two. As long as they add some new mechanics to it though (like Destiny 2's additions), I'll be happy.

pancakesandsex said:
Is everyone off their rocker?

Nah, just you.

It's not that I'm dissing it or anything, but it's a remake. =\ The only thing cool about this, again, Namco might be able to bring out this new Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny 2, which we never got before.

Tales of Phantasia, totally stupid.
Tales of stupid dungeon crawler, totally stupid.

I think the reason we're all =\ is because there was the rumor of Tales of Xbox360 and who knows, perhaps something on PS3 or Wii -- heck, even another original Abyss-like PS2 game would be sweet.

MrDaravon

jiggle said:
TOD/TOD2 together in 1 case for the US please.

I have 2 but that would be super awesome. This would work and actually probably sell okay. Even if ToA doesn't do that well here, people see 2 full length rpg's bundled together and that lends it some leverage.

FateBreaker said:
Nah, just you.

It's not that I'm dissing it or anything, but it's a remake. =\ The only thing cool about this, again, Namco might be able to bring out this new Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny 2, which we never got before.

Tales of Phantasia, totally stupid.
Tales of stupid dungeon crawler, totally stupid.

I think the reason we're all =\ is because there was the rumor of Tales of Xbox360 and who knows, perhaps something on PS3 or Wii -- heck, even another original Abyss-like PS2 game would be sweet.

Its a remake of an AWESOME game, with a battle system updated so its actually playable. Honestly, i cant go back to my ps1 version, its just incredibly awfully clunky and slow, but its a great game, with awesome characters, im extremely happy to be able to revisit a classic with updated graphics and battle mechanics. If its even half as good as ToD2 combat wise, it'll be one of the best tales games ever.

Too bad it wont ever make it to the states.

Nothing to complain about in my book, im sold on 2 of those already.

SailorDaravon said:
Even if ToA doesn't do that well here, people see 2 full length rpg's bundled together and that lends it some leverage.

Yeah, except, if Abyss doesn't do well here, then there's not a CHANCE we'll see that combination.

All hope is on Abyss. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
I'm perfectly happy with a 2D remake of Destiny. I'm not a fan of the graphical style of Abyss or Symphonia. Also, seeing Stahn and the gang in anything other than 2D has always been weird. The only thing I would really miss is Abyss' full use of all three dimensions rather than the two. As long as they add some new mechanics to it though (like Destiny 2's additions), I'll be happy.

Are you guys not seeing the scans? It's not just the "being in 2D" that's the problem, it's that the 2D looks half-assed and crappy. Those battle sprites suck and the isometric character sprites look poor as well. Only the backgrounds look ok and they seriously look like recolored Rebirth backgrounds.

where is the suck in those battle sprites bebpo? where? they look like TOD2/rebirth siz/quality, whats wrong with that? those looked GOOD

::sigh::

i give up

I will enjoy this game thoroughly upon its release, if its done right, this will be the best tales game ever.

Edit Double post, but you know what, screw it, it needs to be said twice

where is the suck in those battle sprites bebpo? where? they look like TOD2/rebirth siz/quality, whats wrong with that? those looked GOOD

::sigh::

i give up

I will enjoy this game thoroughly upon its release, if its done right, this will be the best tales game ever.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Are you guys not seeing the scans? It's not just the "being in 2D" that's the problem, it's that the 2D looks half-assed and crappy. Those battle sprites suck and the isometric character sprites look poor as well. Only the backgrounds look ok and they seriously look like recolored Rebirth backgrounds.

I've played Rebirth and Destiny 2 (Rebirth more so than Destiny 2) recently and that's what they look like taking into account that it's printed in a magazine and scanned. The only point I see you having is the look of the characters in the isometric map screens but that's how it looks for the most part in Rebirth and it definitely looks better than Destiny 2. Do you have some sort of magical vision that allows you to percieve something that I'm not here?

Shouta said:
I've played Rebirth and Destiny 2 (Rebirth more so than Destiny 2) recently and that's what they look like taking into account that it's printed in a magazine and scanned. The only point I see you having is the look of the characters in the isometric map screens but that's how it looks for the most part in Rebirth and it definitely looks better than Destiny 2. Do you have some sort of magical vision that allows you to percieve something that I'm not here?

he's the rpg overlord.
he probably does.

Man, poor 2D FTL. :-( The battle screens from ToDr look nice but the non-battle screens look like ass. If you're going to abandon the chibi charm that the game was riding on, at least make gorgeous, sexy hotness for me to look at like you did with Abyss.

The only good news here for me is that in the 0.1% chance that SCEA okays an American release of Phantasia after Hometek decides in an opium haze to release it, I can buy a PSP and play the sexy PS1 version of Phantasia in English.

LegatoB

pancakesandsex said:
Its a remake of an AWESOME game, with a battle system updated so its actually playable. Honestly, i cant go back to my ps1 version, its just incredibly awfully clunky and slow, but its a great game,
These statements do not make sense placed next to each other. It's "incredibly clunky and slow," and you're hoping the update will add "a battle system updated so its actually playable," yet somehow this is an awesome or great game? :lol

No wonder Namco keeps pumping these games out so quickly; people like you will buy whatever they give you! And they say us SNK fans are bad! :lol

Wait, ToS was the one with the most sales yet PS2 was the one with 4 (now 5) Tales games? I never knew that... it's looking to be the same with the PSP and DS (3 > 1). I hope the DS at least gets more Tales love than the Cube did.

LegatoB said:
These statements do not make sense placed next to each other. It's "incredibly clunky and slow," and you're hoping the update will add "a battle system updated so its actually playable," yet somehow this is an awesome or great game? :lol

No wonder Namco keeps pumping these games out so quickly; people like you will buy whatever they give you! And they say us SNK fans are bad! :lol

Lets try again

The game was great when it came out, the battle system was interesting and different. The characters are awesome, some of the best in the series, and their voice actors are top notch, as usual. The story is also one of the better ones.

Comparing the Original ToD to any newer tales game, is like comparing night and day, its very very difficuly to go BACK, the original is also quite easy, after beating the boss "batista", the combat is basically a joke after that, the only enemy who actually takes time to beat is armored and can only be hurt with shishisenkou / when it "opens" to fire a lazer at you. The encouter rate is obscene, and the dungeon design is pretty unforgiving as well.

You dont even get the standard 3-hit combo in destiny, its one hit then run away, semi-auto / 2 player only with an item, etc

The game was awesome, but, compared to more recent games, its clunky and slow.
I hope phantasia on psp will play at least as well as eternia, or ill have a hard time getting through it for sure, although if its at least as good as the ps1 version it should be alright. at least the ps1 ver had the 3-hit combo.

its like comparing the original metal gear, to metal gear solid.

pancakesandsex said:
Lets try again

The game was great when it came out, the battle system was interesting and different. The characters are awesome, some of the best in the series, and their voice actors are top notch, as usual. The story is also one of the better ones.

Comparing the Original ToD to any newer tales game, is like comparing night and day, its very very difficuly to go BACK, the original is also quite easy, after beating the boss "batista", the combat is basically a joke after that, the only enemy who actually takes time to beat is armored and can only be hurt with shishisenkou / when it "opens" to fire a lazer at you. The encouter rate is obscene, and the dungeon design is pretty unforgiving as well.

You dont even get the standard 3-hit combo in destiny, its one hit then run away, semi-auto / 2 player only with an item, etc

The game was awesome, but, compared to more recent games, its clunky and slow.
I hope phantasia on psp will play at least as well as eternia, or ill have a hard time getting through it for sure, although if its at least as good as the ps1 version it should be alright. at least the ps1 ver had the 3-hit combo.

its like comparing the original metal gear, to metal gear solid.

I guess I get your point.
It's still hard to think it could've been a potential new PS2/PS3 installment.

Abel

った今、驚きの新タイトルの発表がありました。かつてファンを熱狂の渦に巻き込んだ、
あの「TOD」と「TOP」が装いも新たに再登場するそうです! 
ハードは、「デスティニー」はPS2、「ファンタジア」はPSP。
さらには、完全新作となるPSPの「テイルズ オブ ザ ワールド レディアント マイソロジー」も気になるところ。
あとTOD2が2007年、PSPに出ます。

TOD2 PSP in 2007?

The Magic Box seems to have updated with some nice separated-by-picture scans.

Still the same verdict: Tales of Destiny PS2 is eh/maybe, Phantasia port #4's stupid, and Tales of the World looks like a dungeon crawler, which is bad.

booo.

show us tales of the 360 =\

Uhm...very interesting.

I hoped for Destiny 3D too, but its nice to see Team Rebirth still doing 2D games, I thought they had gone 3D already. Must-buy for me.

Phantasia (Full Voice Edition :lol ) sounds as bad as I expected...cash-in indeed. The World Radiant Mythology sounds very better, should do good for that spinoff subseries.

I'm back at tales fan team, I like how they did NOT announce another main entry, I like how they chose PS2 prior to Wii,PS3,X360...and well, I don't like The World PSP because I don't have one :lol but anyway, I passed on those The World for GBA until I bought my NDS.

[sales-age + flaming-age]Oh, I lol'ed at please-release-it-on-GC team. Its pretty clear they care about Japan and don't give a shit about worldwide, and if you see 5 different tales sales on PS2 you see a pretty healthy franchise that when proper released, it does >500k. I'd like to see FF/DQ numbers if they made 5 different ones for one system in 5 years...[/sales-age + flaming-age]

reminder said:
cvtyb.jpg

3 Tales of for PSP
1 Tales of for PS2
1 Tales of for DS

That's what I see in this pic.

PSP:
Tales of the World
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Destiny 2 (rumored)...?
PS2:
Tales of Destiny