• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TALES FROM MY ASS: Durango rumors discussed by anonymous source

FDC1

Kinect 2.0, 360 chip included, etc...I don't see how 720 could release below a $499 price tag outside of a big loss per unit. I suppose MS really believe at the viability of a subscription model.

Tagg9

Why would this be common knowledge in a few days?

Surely Microsoft wouldn't reveal any of these details ahead of their conference. Makes me doubt the validity of the info.

PS3 launched with 100% PS2 BC, how did that turnout for them?

the average consumer isn't buying nex gen consoles to play games for system they already own

This is true, but a lot of people depend on apps and games they've downloaded from XBLM. It adds enormous value to the console if it launches day one with every single app and XBLA game from Xbox 360. Meanwhile Sony is left scrambling to rewrite all of it's apps for PS4.

Plus they would need to develop the SoC anyway for the AppleTV type device. It makes sense to include the chip in the Xbox if they actually created it.

dose

You are not required to be connected to the internet in order to play Durango games and MS were NEVER considering doing such a thing.
How would you know this as fact unless you actually worked for MS?

TriGen

You guys can debate the SOC, but clearly the doubtful thing in that post is AAs! Really, no out-of-box rechargable controller in 2013? That better not be.

I hope most of that is true though, as the bulk of it would be positive.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well if I were someone who wanted to leak things, I'd contact someone at Kotaku who could verify my identity, corroborate, and then report those things. ;)

Really? Seems to me you can just make up stuff and it would get posted anyways. In fact, I believe there's evidence of that.

Partition

Banned
I have a hard time believing everything VG Leaks posted in regards to specs were real, and plus the fact he calls it Durango and doesn't tell us the real name makes it really unbelievable imo.

Grief.exe

GPU power should be the least of people's worries.

I'd rather have a strong console GPU and have the PCs catch up, rather than mid-range cards be ahead before the consoles are released.

That way the gap doesn't become as pronounced as this generation early on in the life cycle.

Both the PS4 and the rumored specs of the 360 are very under powered for 2013.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
but clearly the doubtful thing in that post is AAs! Really, no out-of-box rechargable controller in 2013? That better not be.

Actually I hope this is true. Join the Eneloop team

0oANAqb.jpg

I was anticipating it would have some form of Windows 8, if it ever gets hacked hopefully we can use it as a htpc and run desktop applications like xbmc.

Jawmuncher

Is a gaf member

but calls the rest of gaf dumb for believing the always online rumor

doesn't want to reveal who he/she is because they might lose there job too

lmao
Being gaf but calling the rest of gaf dumb and fanboys definitely is a bit of a flag.

Alx

So the rumor is that the Durango is going to have an Occulus Rift type accessory?

Those are supposed to be augmented reality glasses, rather than VR helmets... it was displayed in the leak from last year, that revealed MS roadmap up to 2015.

Another thing that I find difficult to believe is the parallelization between the Durango main architecture and the 360 SoC. Sounds very complicated, even for multitasking.

How does this clarify anything? All it does is come across as "I'm tired of the fanboys talking about online only so here's what's REALLY going on." Not a shred of evidence corroborating anything the person said when we have heard several times from different places about the always-online rumor. Sorry but I'm with Cheesemeister on this one. I'll believe it when I see it.

clarify: Microsoft has a console coming out that possibly has BC

that's it

again I don't really care because as I stated m-soft hasn't said a word

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Why would this be common knowledge in a few days?

Surely Microsoft wouldn't reveal any of these details ahead of their conference. Makes me doubt the validity of the info.
I feel like a broken record here, but their FY13 Q3 Earnings Conference Call is on April 18th (Thursday). They might address a few concerns there. Maybe comment on the always online debacle and talk a bit about their IEB plans for the fall. Also, it would make sense for them to announce the supposed Xbox event for May 21st.

This is true, but a lot of people depend on apps and games they've downloaded from XBLM. It adds enormous value to the console if it launches day one with every single app and XBLA game from Xbox 360. Meanwhile Sony is left scrambling to rewrite all of it's apps for PS4.

Plus they would need to develop the SoC anyway for the AppleTV type device. It makes sense to include the chip in the Xbox if they actually created it.

XBLA games always came across to me as something for the hardcore or serious gamer, not something the average consumer bothered with

JJD

Nice, a 360 SoC! Wow, I wish Sony could do that with PS3

They can easily do that with an Add-on. They can even milk some money out of people that want that feature. It wouldn't be so expensive to fabricate, and they could sell it at a nice profit. I read somewhere that they were preparing to fabricate cell at 22nm right?

The part that I find unrealistic in the OP is when he says that the 360 SOC would be used to give more power to Durango. Just adding a 360 SOC to Durango for BC isn't that out of ordinary IMO.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Why exactly are we taking this even the slight bit seriously? Can't anybody make an anonymous account on said website and post whatever bullshit he/she wants?

Krilekk

Banned
You guys can debate the SOC, but clearly the doubtful thing in that post is AAs! Really, no out-of-box rechargable controller in 2013? That better not be.

I hope most of that is true thoug, as the bulk of it would be positive.

Gotta sell those $20 charging sets. Seriously, why would they change what made them a ton of money this gen? I prefer the 35 hours I get from AAs over the 20 hours with a battery pack everyday.

What makes this whole thing really hard to believe is that further cost reduction of the hardware would be extremely hard to do if the system uses the 360 SoC for extra processing power. PS3 also included ps2 hardware parts at first, and after a while they were removed to reduce cost, as BC mattered less and less going forward as ps3's library increased.

MS wouldnt be able remove the 360 parts down the line if Durango games were using this extra power.

surly

Banned
The only thing a SOC for BC did for the WiiU and PS3 is push the price up to a level where most went "I'll wait for a price drop."
How much does 8GB of DDR5 add to the cost?

JohnnySasaki86 said:
MS wouldnt be able remove the 360 parts down the line if Durango games were using this extra power.
But if this extra power was leveraged in Durango games and not just used for 360 BC, why would they want to remove it?

Derrick01

Banned
Give me time to write up a bunch of stuff that could sound semi-plausible and then let me post it completely anonymously with no ability to check my past success on this kind of stuff (besides me telling you all that I was wrong about some things first). Only then will my info be taken seriously.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Makes sense. They can use the 360 SOC for those HMD (Fortaleza) glasses or Kinect or the OS without compromising the Durango performance. And have full BC as an added bonus. It moves the overall performance to around 1.75 Teraflops, so close to PS4. I guess it's also the main reason why they have the Display planes, allowing to merge whatever both APUs do into one resulting image (plus an additional plane for Fortaleza).

Everything else seems very believable and in line with what I have heard elsewhere.

I don't know where to start with this post. How about the size, cost and heat from the SOC to add such minimal processing power. Other than BC, a 360 SOC would be a poor fit for everything else in the system. How would they even interface the 360 SOC with the existing bus and communicate data from the Durango APU and the 360 SOC? It sounds absurd. Even to get BC to work would be a pain given Durango's high speed 256-bit DDR3 bus and the 360 expects GDDR3 with a specific clock rate.

Perkel

Banned
Sorry but if someone name someone fan-boy you know this is just some xbox fan rant or as we say "defense force"

Ok now Can someone say how much power it would need ? That would confirm dual soc or lack of it.

And BOM of course dual soc will be expensive

R1CHO

Yes! That Xenos and Xenon pushing the envelop working on parallel with the Durango apu.

Coders gonna code (to the metal), haters gonna hate, and fakers gonna fake without even trying to look reliable.

Alchemy

360 SoC sounds like a stretch to me, and really expensive to develop. My brain is having problems understanding how you can make a 360 mini to compete with the Apple TV when the power brick for the 360 is about 3x as large as the Apple TV to begin with.

All this info sounds good though, much better than all the anti-consumer rumors swirling around before.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The ability for any developer to work on 360 with just a fee is one of the rumors for unveils in the next Microsoft Build conference. Maybe he is just piecing rumors or he actually has a scoop.

Top Bottom