• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TALES FROM MY ASS: Durango rumors discussed by anonymous source

360 SoC would be great for BC, but it wouldn't be possible for developers to use its PowerPC hardware at the same time as the main x86 Durango hardware without tremendous effort for very little gain. That part, at least, doesn't pass the bullshit test. If it's in there, it's for BC only.

L1NETT

I do hate being a fanboy eh :/

But then again random pastebins begging to be believed usually do change my mind. Pretty frustrating we have to sit through one more month of these crazy rumours. Please announce the damn thing MS>

Saying that, would be nice if true! :p

Angry Fork

Still uses AA batteries.

why

It's not like MS can even profit off of this, there are no 'Microsoft' batteries. I don't understand, is it really that much cheaper than putting a chargeable battery?

edit - Unless they sell that charging kit separately, ugh. Forgot about that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
might as well pretend a rumor is true and just talk about it as that being the case.

he only thing that I do know for definite is that Durango will be running Windows 8. It will essentially be the full version of the OS, minus the desktop side of things. This means it’ll be running the new WinRT framework, which as a side effect also means that contrary to popular belief MS will be the most indie friendly of all the big 3 next gen.
This is because any app/game that is created for the Windows app store will (after adding controller support of course) be playable on Durango.
In other words, any random person worldwide can pay Microsoft a $60 license fee (for the Windows Store) and submit their app/game to the store where millions of people can then download/buy it. No expensive development kits needed.
Expect to hear much more on WinRT - Durango at Build2013.

if that's true, its a sold system. IF THATS TRUE.

The Lamp

Eneloops > built in rechargeable batteries. But if you have a 360 you could have just bought a play kit and it would work just like the PS3 controller, minus the stupidly short cable.

That's also extra money to do basically the same thing.

I don't understand why people like spending money so much.

Might be pipe dream but everything here would support MS confidence against PS4:

• Windows 8 support means better Indie dev support than PS4 and a much bigger platform for devs than Sony can match. Win8/WP8 game releases have been very impressive lately.
  • Xbox BC means dozens of entertainment apps that won't be available on PS4 for years.
  • Xbox BC also means hundreds of XBLA games and DLC available day one while Sony's store is barren.
  • Kinect 1080p is also far superior tech to what Sony announced.
  • SmartGlass platform beats PS Vita integration.
If MS believes they have better first party games to announce (not a major feat) then they have pretty much a clean sweep of PS4.

As long as the console isn't super expensive and they do a subsidy plan via XBL that includes the family plan for free then they have Sony beat by marketing standards.

Fuck that. I have saved so much money not buying chargers or batteries for my PS3 controllers.

I'm not talking about AA batteries, I'm talking about the rechargeable lithium batteries....the controller cable on my PS3 is like 3 feet long. Every time I have to recharge it I have to stop playing.

I have two rechargeable batteries for my 360 on the other hand. When one dies, I put it in the other one and recharge the dead one and keep on playing :)

Azull

8 GB GDDR5 is overkill. There's just no use for it with the CPU and GPU that's in the PS4. The only reason why it's there is because Sony found out that Microsoft has 8 GB and had to equal it. Having 4 GB GDDR5 and 4 GB DDR3 would've meant a complete system redesign and loss of unified RAM, so they only had the choice to go to 8 GB GDDR5. Which is costly and not needed.

images

Funny. The stuff I've been hearing that popped up on my radar 2 weeks ago (after GTC) are not mentioned here. I know who I rather listen to and its not this pastebin post.

Yep. Pastebin "leakers" are silly.

We really need something else to go by. Any clever conman can go on Pastebin and make up stuff. It's been done countless times before.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Other devices use batteries too, you know. You're not tied to a single proprietary battery. Also, the battery is high quality and won't lose its charge as easily as those crappy X360 proprietary batteries. Also, no cords.

Makes sense. They can use the 360 SOC for those HMD (Fortaleza) glasses or Kinect or the OS without compromising the Durango performance. And have full BC as an added bonus. It moves the overall performance to around 1.75 Teraflops, so close to PS4. I guess it's also the main reason why they have the Display planes, allowing to merge whatever both APUs do into one resulting image (plus an additional plane for Fortaleza).

Everything else seems very believable and in line with what I have heard elsewhere.

No, it be around 1.5+tflops. Also PS4 would still have a sizable memory and bandwidth advantage(if the OS footprint rumors are true). Also with all the added efficiency in the new architecture, PS360 flops wont even be directly comparable to the new hardware today(real world performance). Regardless it does close the gap a bit, but depending on how it works, how efficient, and easy it is for a developer to take advantage of, it may not be as much as you think. In fact you would think the 360 may just be used for the OS and Kinect 2.0 related stuff, which would mean that wouldn't need to reserve any of Durango's CPU cores. A lot of this doesn't add up...

I'd rather have a strong console GPU and have the PCs catch up, rather than mid-range cards be ahead before the consoles are released.

That way the gap doesn't become as pronounced as this generation early on in the life cycle.

Both the PS4 and the rumored specs of the 360 are very under powered for 2013.

Mid-range? 1.2 Tflops is like an overclocked 7750 ($90-$100 GPU), seems really underpowered for a new console imo.

The Lamp

$30? I mean, how many do you have? I got a charger with 4 Eneloops for 20€, it covers my needs perfectly.

Stupid shit like that adds up with Microsoft products. I couldn't play my 360 online until I bought a wireless bridge.

Also I lose rechargeable batteries easily since they're small :(

quest

Not Banned from OT

I like the option of batteries on the x360 pad. To many times I forget to charge my PS3 controller and get in the middle of a game and low battery. Since the charging cord is so short got quit playing to charge it up and find something else to do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is from... a random Twitter account writing on pastebin?

This. I won't believe anything here as true until MS confirms half of it. Starting with always-on. That left a sour taste in my and many peoples mouths and MS really should address this and other things ASAP.

Bedlam

That drama filled, multi-paragraph rant at the beginning pretty much proves this is from some fake, internet nobody. No real source would be that vain. Full of self-importance and spite. Like your standard 15 year old.
That's the vibe I got as well. I call bullshit (on the things that weren't known before).

ari

Banned
PS3 launched with 100% PS2 BC, how did that turnout for them?
Most xbox live arcade and full game download libraries are massive and would be more incline to cross over then the ps2 library to ps3.

BC for the ps3 was a bonus anyhow. Not sure why people still believe it isn't because they aren't interested in it.

If that BC rumor is confirmed get ready for about 3 new threads from Noobsaurous(or whatever) about how the next gen fight is over with this extreme advantage!

Tacitus_

Anonymous twitter posting about anonymous pastebin.
While I'm not saying that this isn't true, it needs to be taken with a mountain of salt the size of Mt Everett.

360 SoC would be great for BC, but it wouldn't be possible for developers to use its PowerPC hardware at the same time as the main x86 Durango hardware without tremendous effort for very little gain. That part, at least, doesn't pass the bullshit test. If it's in there, it's for BC only.

Total bullshit. Have you forgotten consoles of previous gens used to do this all the time.

anyway... Imagine Durango can stream an xbla game and play one on your telly at the same time?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Aside from the pretty clearly fake information in the OP, I don't know what to believe. Every rumor for years pointed to always online, and then the Adam Orth incident happened which I took as another confirmation. Then, the week after, we get another rumor saying it doesn't need to be online.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Any guy who knows stuff will probably try to make money off it (SuperDae), not randomly put it on Pastebin. I don't think this is legit.

The Lamp

Other devices use batteries too, you know. You're not tied to a single proprietary battery. Also, the battery is high quality and won't lose its charge as easily as those crappy X360 proprietary batteries. Also, no cords.

Yes but not much stuff around the house uses batteries that would need often changing, like a game remote. Almost everything is becoming rechargeable now, hell even calculators.

The cord is not a big deal since you just use it while it's charging.

surly

Banned

If it bothered you that much, dropping £12 on a play and charge kit is no big deal considering how many years you use a console for.

The SixAxis batteries aren't that great to begin with anyway: -

LyorsMH.jpg

I'm not talking about AA batteries, I'm talking about the rechargeable lithium batteries....the controller cable on my PS3 is like 3 feet long. Every time I have to recharge it I have to stop playing.

I have two rechargeable batteries for my 360 on the other hand. When one dies, I put it in the other one and recharge the dead one and keep on playing :)

Must have set you back an obscene amount of money.

Oppo

Eneloops > built in rechargeable batteries. But if you have a 360 you could have just bought a play and charge kit and it would work just like the PS3 controller, minus the stupidly short cable.

They probably do last a lot longer than the in built PS3 controller batteries. That said my dual shocks are ancient and never have died on me. So personally I like not having a hidden cost for my controller batteries. I had to buy more for my 360/PC Xbox pads as the ones I already owned were sort of in use.

PS3's problem wa that the USB ports powered down when the unit was off, but it sounds like they've fixed that, so I prefer to not have to think about removing/charging batteries in a separate thing all the time.

The guy who wrote this (assuming what he says is even partly true) works in software; he's not a PR man trying to appeal to obnoxious gamers.

That...wasn't really my point. It's not like since he's a software engineer that he's a machine with no emotion. People working in the games industry can easily take sides or have immature behaviors, especially if you work for one of the big corporations. I don't find an employee speaking like that the least big surprising.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Still uses AA batteries.

why

It's not like MS can even profit off of this, there are no 'Microsoft' batteries. I don't understand, is it really that much cheaper than putting a chargeable battery?

edit - Unless they sell that charging kit separately, ugh. Forgot about that.

Because having to throw the controller in the trash when it's dead sucks.

I would love if ps4 used AAs.

Top Bottom