• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise New Cast Trailer

Amiga

Certainly a huge improvement for the series. My only hesitation at the moment is the battle system. Never really clicked with a Tales of game before.

Tales games are about rhythm and combos. Vesparia and Symphonia 2 were the best at it. don't go into it as a standard action RPG.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
1*9sPW5QWGRzze8oLWu2kaGw.gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah I think I'm feeling this, seeing more of the cast and some battle stuff helps it to feel a bit more Tales to me. It is a bit po-faced from the trailer but hopefully they have time for some humor as well.

This series used to be my favorite RPG series but at some point they kind of started churning out too many of them and they also started feeling kind of low-budget and behind the times. Berseria was clearly an up-rezzed PS3 game. This feels both new and has decent production values.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see another JRPG with a close to AAA budget though. Like AA+.
Speaking of this, I'm not sure what the next graphical leap is when it comes to anime-aesthetic and cel-shaded games. It's looking like they're starting to reach a peak.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

This is kind of proving my point. There's no actual huge graphical leap between this and what DBFZ did. They just increased the scope of the cutscenes. For anyone who might quote me, don't confuse graphical leap with making things bigger, badder, and more explodey.

SF Kosmo

This is kind of proving my point. There's no actual huge graphical leap between this and what DBFZ did. They just increased the scope of the cutscenes. For anyone who might quote me, don't confuse graphical leap with making things bigger, badder, and more explodey.
I think they've refined it, but if your point is that the leap is more about refining the art than a technological leap in rendering tech, then point taken.

Fbh

Combat and visuals looks great. It's really nice having a new Tales of that's doesn't look dated.

The dialog sounds like it came straight from some online "cookie cutter shonen anime generator" but I hope the actual plot is good.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The dialog sounds like it came straight from some online "cookie cutter shonen anime generator" but I hope the actual plot is good.
I don't know if it's the voice director's fault or if the voice actors themselves aren't up to par. It sounds like people hamming it up and it doesn't match the expressions the characters are showing.

SF Kosmo

Combat and visuals looks great. It's really nice having a new Tales of that's doesn't look dated.

Tales games are usually more about the characters and how they interact with each other than the overarching story though.

Metnut

Day 1. Really looks like an upgrade over prior tales games.

Hopefully they redo the voice acting before release.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, dub sounds bad. The devs took it in a new direction and the localization team sounds stuck in the past.
Yes! That's it exactly! Japanese voice acting has been changing over the last few years to sound more naturalistic but American voice actors have been trained for years to sound more and more cartoonish and over the top. So what's happening is this really weird moment in time where they have flipped in terms of style and it ends up sounding awful, just like that Judgment dub. I feel like the late 90s/early 2000s dubbing coaches need to come back and fix this issue before it gets worse.

Kimahri

Banned
Yes! That's it exactly! Japanese voice acting has been changing over the last few years to sound more naturalistic but American voice actors have been trained for years to sound more and more cartoonish and over the top. So what's happening is this really weird moment in time where they have flipped in terms of style and it ends up sounding awful, just like that Judgment dub. I feel like the late 90s/early 2000s dubbing coaches need to come back and fix this issue before it gets worse.
Heh, good point. Hopefully there's pushback enough for them to realize this needs to stop.

I haven’t played a Tales game since the GameCube, I hope this one can catch me and it’s not too inhibited by it’s classic rpg nature but I expect I might be. I would love to get really caught up by an RPG like this again. That battle system needs to be really addicting I hope they make something unique and fun.

kiphalfton

Nice having a Japanese game that doesn't look like a PS3 or PS2 era game. Facial animations are much needed, but barely ever incorporated.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know if it's the voice director's fault or if the voice actors themselves aren't up to par.
Play Tales games with Japanese voices, there are very few Japanese games I'm willing to play with english dub like NieR but Tales is not one of them.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

New Tales, new people bitching about the dub, it's a tradition at this point.

I am going to play the dubbed version, I hate Yoshitsugu, the japanese voice actor for Law, I hear his fucking Kirito voice all the time in anime and I find it really annoying, and on the other hand Erica Lindbeck is voicing Shionne in the dub and she did an amazing performance as Magilou in Berseria.

JayK47

Pre-ordered this on Steam. Hoping the PC port will be great. Clearing my backlog for this on the day it comes out.

Top Bottom