• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria - New setting details & screenshots

Soriku

Check the link for many more details and screenshots:

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/tales-berseria-theme-setting-story-characters-battle-system

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_004.jpg

Velvet

Height: 170cm
Weapon: Piercing Blade
Combat Type: Piercing Swordswoman
Race: Gyoma?
Voice actor: Rina Sato

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_010.jpg

Laphicet

Height: 142cm
Weapon: Paper Leaves
Combat Type: Seirei Mage
Race: Seirei
Voice actor: Azumi Asakura

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_003.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_001.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_002.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_022.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_014.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_016.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_017.jpg

“Emotion and Reason.”

Tales of Berseria depicts the clash of emotion and reason following the protagonist Velvet, who has strong emotions, as she comes into conflict with characters who have forsaken emotion and only use reason.

In the world of Wasteland, there is a vast land that spreads out from its center. In the far future, it is a continent known as Glenwood.

The setting of the story is Midgand Sacred Kingdom, a large power across the ocean that reigns over the continent. Its vast lands and countless islands are organized into jurisdictions known as “territories.”

Even within the same kingdom, there is an extreme difference in temperature between the north and south, as well as great climate differences depending on the land. The changes in climate also influence the culture, including different building structures and way of living depending on the territory. In recent years, the world has been getting colder, especially the northern region which is getting buried in snow.

The Midgand Sacred Kingdom has developed shipbuilding and sailing technology, and trade is actively carried out throughout various locations. Because ocean currents and weather changes can be violent, trade ships use a specific route, and pirates aiming to steel their cargo appear frequently.

Prologue

This is the beginning of the legend. And the true story that was forgotten in the far future.

Three years ago…

Because of the rare disease called Gomabyo which changes humans into monsters, the world had reached an age of confusion.

The battle system of Tales of Berseria is the conventional Linear Motion Battle System (LMBS), now with free-run-based character control, free camera control, and artes set to the Circle, X, Triangle, and Square buttons.

Going from the conventional style of triggering artes with the left stick and Circle or X buttons, Tales of Berseria sets artes to the Circle, X, Triangle, and Square buttons. Due to this, players can concentrate on using the left stick for movement and the buttons for artes. It is similar to the conventional system and lets players intuitively link together artes.

Additionally, with the addition of free camera control, you can easily adjust the viewpoint during play and change the camera to the angle of your preference.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Damn this game keeps looking better and better. I hope the rest of the party is interesting too.

Emotion and Reason sounds like a Star Ocean subtitle.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_001.jpg

Major Chrono Cross vibes.

pbayne

That battle system...i dunno if thats a good idea. Did they drop regular moves completely and now you can only do artes?

Falk

that puzzling face
Not gonna lie, those screenies really look Xillia.

Now with more bloom and lens flare!

HiroTSK5

That battle system...i dunno if thats a good idea. Did they drop regular moves completely and now you can only do artes?

It sounds like its trying to go even further in the direction of Graces/Zestiria with a heavier focus on movement options. This leaves me pessimistic.

aravuus

Tales of Berseria depicts the clash of emotion and reason following the protagonist Velvet, who has strong emotions, as she comes into conflict with characters who have forsaken emotion and only use reason.

Sounds like one of those games where I'll end up rooting for the bad guys cause the main character is insufferable. Hope I'm wrong, tho.

thuway

Something about this game seems really off from the art design perspective. Than again, Trusty Bell looked absolutely incredible and Xillia looked awful superficially and both of those initial impressions were dead wrong.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Romulan chick surrounded by Vulcans. Got it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Something about this game seems really off from the art design perspective. Than again, Trusty Bell looked absolutely incredible and Xillia looked awful superficially and both of those initial impressions were dead wrong.

Well....I thought Eternal Sonata was pretty decent actually..

Xenoflare

Someone mentioned that Velvet looks like if Jude and Milla had a child and I can't unsee that. She has aesthetics that is close to Milla and hair and eyes has a similar color scheme to Jude

Not that I'm complaining

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Someone mentioned that Velvet looks like if Jude and Milla had a child and I can't unsee that. She has aesthetics that is close to Milla and hair and eyes has a similar color scheme to Jude

Not that I'm complaining

Oh my gobrino.

Cannot unsee.

Jiraiza

Not that I'm complaining

An alternate universe where Jude wins the Lord of all Spirits.

Falk

that puzzling face
An alternate universe where Jude wins the Lord of all Spirits.

X2:
which probably got blown up by Ludger

Imagine that. Ludger suddenly shows up as the final boss in Berseria - if you lose he blows up the world

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My issue with Tales games of late is their dungeon/field designs have gotten incredibly lazy. I miss the dungeons of previous Tales like Vesperia which were absolutely gorgeous, and an over world full of towns and different areas. I thought the Xillia dungeons and fields were bland dreck.

Pics_nao

With the way they're openly advertising this as taking place centuries before Zesty, I wonder if it'll have any plot relevance on Zesty down the line. If it does I hope it isn't forced and feels natural.

My issue with Tales games of late is their dungeon/field designs have gotten incredibly lazy. I miss the dungeons of previous Tales like Vesperia which were absolutely gorgeous, and an over world full of towns and different areas. I thought the Xillia dungeons and fields were bland dreck.

I don't know if they thought western RPGs were like this and they wanted to emulate that or if this is just a result of the budget cuts that seem to plague the series as of late. It was a clear change with Xillia, and then...again with Xillia 2, obviously. Haven't played Zesty yet, but haven't heard about it significantly improving.

Sandfox

The new controls sound weird after having the current system for so long.

Graces had by far the worst final dungeon I've seen in my life.

X2:
which probably got blown up by Ludger

Imagine that. Ludger suddenly shows up as the final boss in Berseria - if you lose he blows up the world

That would probably be DLC these days

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Xillia's fields were kind of atrocious, yeah. Did it get even worse somehow? That's the last one I played through. (I've only actually beaten Phantasia and Xillia. Weird duo to choose, I know.)

I don't know if they thought western RPGs were like this and they wanted to emulate that or if this is just a result of the budget cuts that seem to plague the series as of late. It was a clear change with Xillia, and then...again with Xillia 2, obviously. Haven't played Zesty yet, but haven't heard about it significantly improving.

Nope, just bog standard JRPG dungeon design (And, well, I guess TES Oblivion dungeon design), especially in the dungeon-crawler genre.

Don't know why they're going with dungeon-crawler dungeon designs though considering Tales has never had the gameplay framework of one.

Sandfox

Xillia's fields were kind of atrocious, yeah. Did it get even worse somehow? That's the last one I played through. (I've only actually beaten Phantasia and Xillia. Weird duo to choose, I know.)
What did you hate about the Xillia fields? The ToZ ones are different, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll like them.
Velvet seems pretty awesome to me.

People say that every time so I've learned to wait.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I also thought the soundtracks for Tales games have gone downhill since Legendia or Symphonia. It's hard to kill Sakuraba and his team for it though, they are asked to churn these out on pretty much a yearly basis, it must be difficult to create so many tracks that sound new and refreshing. But still... I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I thought Graces, Xillia, and Xillia 2's soundtracks were about as generic and dull as they come.

Top Bottom