• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria - New setting details & screenshots

Dark_castle

Tales-of-Berseria_01-03-15_003.jpg

Are we sure Tetsuya Nomura didn't design her?

4...5...6, yep 6 belts. Definitely Nomura.

Soriku

I also thought the soundtracks for Tales games have gone downhill since Legendia or Symphonia. It's hard to kill Sakuraba and his team for it though, they are asked to churn these out on pretty much a yearly basis, it must be difficult to create so many tracks that sound new and refreshing. But still... I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I thought Graces, Xillia, and Xillia 2's soundtracks were about as generic and dull as they come.

Graces is meh (for the most part; there are a couple exceptions) but the Xillia games actually have some good tracks. Zestiria had Go Shiina co-composing and all his tracks are really good. Hopefully he returns for Berseria.

Bousf

Looks beautiful but I'm not too hyped, probably because I'm waiting for the series to make a full shift, dropping game engine and all that. This one looks like Xillia/Zestiria and it's kinda getting old already.

That aside, I give the control scheme the benefit of the doubt, R1 will probably go for blocking so it could be a very intuitive system.

Mifec

Looks beautiful but I'm not too hyped, probably because I'm waiting for the series to make a full shift, dropping game engine and all that. This one looks like Xillia/Zestiria and it's kinda getting old already.

That aside, I give the control scheme the benefit of the doubt, R1 will probably go for blocking so it could be a very intuitive system.

I hope they put modifiers for artes on triggers.

Soriku

If Bears turns out to be worth buying, I'm probably going to break my rule about DLC costumes and just buy whatever I can use to get that awfulness off the screen.

They'll probably give you her village costume (for free) at the beginning since she does start out with it in the prologue.

I'm curious as to how she comes to wearing it lol. They should mention it in skits.

aitakute

I also thought the soundtracks for Tales games have gone downhill since Legendia or Symphonia. It's hard to kill Sakuraba and his team for it though, they are asked to churn these out on pretty much a yearly basis, it must be difficult to create so many tracks that sound new and refreshing. But still... I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I thought Graces, Xillia, and Xillia 2's soundtracks were about as generic and dull as they come.

Zestiria has one of the best soundtrack in Tales franchise. About Berseria, I really like what I heard from the trailer

Welcome to 2002, Inomata.

Also, aboard the hate train for the 10yo being the voice of reason of the story...

I wonder who will be the 30yo elderly character

ViciousDS

Banned
That battle system...i dunno if thats a good idea. Did they drop regular moves completely and now you can only do artes?

After zesteria.......I'm pretty much on hold now for all tales games. The battle system has only been going downhill for me. I'll Wait for gameplay vids before making the call to play any. Pretty shocking how we went from symphonia to the system we got in zesteria.

The only Tales games I've played are Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia. I really enjoyed all three of them. Didn't have a PS3. I was interested in Zesteria but the overworld and dungeons looks so lifeless, especially after Vesperia. Hope Berseria is better in that regard.

Ogawa-san

People talking about the protagonist's clothes, I'm here just wondering how annoying the token Tales talking mascot will be this time around.

aitakute

After zesteria.......I'm pretty much on hold now for all tales games. The battle system has only been going downhill for me. I'll Wait for gameplay vids before making the call to play any. Pretty shocking how we went from symphonia to the system we got in zesteria.

You know why? Because people love Graces's system

Durante

I find the battle system defaulting to free-run very promising.

People talking about the protagonist's clothes, I'm here just wondering how annoying the token Tales talking mascot will be this time around.
This just made me realize another reason why Zestiria's cast is my favourite in Tales so far. No mascot!

dnmt

Banned
If I didn't know any better I would say all those places are ripped straight from Xillia. I really hate this art style, wish they'd go back to Vesperia's already.

Yazuka

Man that looks really good. Can't wait until we can get our hands on this one!
Hopefully the western release won't be long after the Japanese one.

ViciousDS

Banned
You know why? Because people love Graces's system

not the biggest fan of it.....everything tied to one bar. Zesteria for the most part was dodge smash circle.....guard, side step/dodge....smash circle. I miss being able to jump.

Hell Vesperia was a good mix between the two to me.

aitakute

not the biggest fan of it.....everything tied to one bar. Zesteria for the most part was dodge smash circle.....guard, side step/dodge....smash circle. I miss being able to jump.

Hell Vesperia was a good mix between the two to me.

Ditto. Not really liking the chain-link system but other than that, I love Xillia 2 gameplay

kewlmyc

I find the battle system defaulting to free-run very promising.

This just made me realize another reason why Zestiria's cast is my favourite in Tales so far. No mascot!

tozkamui4-600x828.jpg

At least they're not part of the party and are kinda useful.

Durante

You talk to those probably for less than 1 hour total throughout the entire game. Hardly comparable to a mascot character party member :p

Terrible art direction and graphics post vesperia. This has been discussed to death on here but man, they really need a new engine and art direction. I wonder if the Naruto engine can he used for a game like tales? Maybe they'll just jump to UE4 since namco is using that for everything else. Tales is the biggest non SE RPG ATM but I think Persona is definitely going to take that spot if they don't do any drastic changes to the series.

Maebe

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_010.jpg

This is literally Emil from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

latest

Lol, he really is Emil in a dress. Kinda irks me how strange Velvet looks next to him, like they could be from completely different games. She's just so overdesigned despite the small amount of clothing.

If she's gonna be a character that's against using logic I am already expecting her to be insufferable. Emotionless child character doesn't pique my interest either, but maybe character development will help at least one of them.

Dark_castle

If I didn't know any better I would say all those places are ripped straight from Xillia. I really hate this art style, wish they'd go back to Vesperia's already.

I agree with you. Some people seemed impressed by what's being shown in Berseria, but I say meh. If Level-5 can make Ni No Kuni II look drop dead gorgeous by sheer art style, there is little reason why these newer post-Vesperia Tales games would look so generic and bland.

Soriku

Terrible art direction and graphics post vesperia. This has been discussed to death on here but man, they really need a new engine and art direction. I wonder if the Naruto engine can he used for a game like tales? Maybe they'll just jump to UE4 since namco is using that for everything else. Tales is the biggest non SE RPG ATM but I think Persona is definitely going to take that spot if they don't do any drastic changes to the series.

I think they need to change the art style (hopefully next game which should be nextgen exclusive), but come on this game doesn't have anything close to terrible art direction...

Reading this information about the controllable camera... what does that spell for multiplayer? If the camera no long focuses on enimies and doesn't look over the battle arena, how are your friends supposed to see? They should probably just axe local multiplayer and just make it online co-op.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Please just don't fuck up the skill system again.

Durante

The ultimate fujoshi game. Or is it Otome now.
When I saw the second character I did wonder whether Tales has a huge female audience in Japan.

Reading this information about the controllable camera... what does that spell for multiplayer? If the camera no long focuses on enimies and doesn't look over the battle arena, how are your friends supposed to see? They should probably just axe local multiplayer and just make it online co-op.
That would be a terrible idea. They can just move the camera out further for coop.

Kouriozan

Please don't be/feel rushed like Zestiria, it's all I ask.
Oh and also switch the engine for the next Tales, Graces graphics were fine but after so many games looking like it, it's becoming boring.
I mean, Tales games these days don't feel different unlike the SNES->PS2 eras ones.

ajim

Loved zestiria, it's story and characters but this game just isn't appealing to me so much and I can't put my finger on it.

I think it might be the transformation aspect of it, or half beast aesthetic that isn't working for me.

I'm sure I'll love it tho.

Sandfox

When I saw the second character I did wonder whether Tales has a huge female audience in Japan.
It does and I would assume that same is true for the west somewhat.
Please don't be/feel rushed like Zestiria, it's all I ask.
Oh and also switch the engine for the next Tales, Graces graphics were fine but after so many games looking like it, it's becoming boring.
I mean, Tales games these days don't feel different unlike the SNES->PS2 eras ones.
I don't really see what they could do to make another leap that big.

Abylim

Characters look pretty bad.

Battle system sounds like it could be pretty bad.

But somehow, I still hope its good.

Top Bottom