• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria - New setting details & screenshots

Nah, that's the stat for the DLC/merchandise audience of Tales. Actual game audience probably has a more balanced ratio.

But obviously that's the reason to aim at the female audience.

In terms of game sales, it's about half and half with a lean toward males while women make up much of the extra merchandising. Very big among female artists, too.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
With the exception of one or two screenshots, it doesn't look very impressive.

And this is probably the worst named Tales game so far.

aibaby

Neo Member
Lol, so from generic anime hotblooded hero with a quiet emotionless loli, to this. It's like they reversed the genders hahaha.

Not really liking what I'm reading about the combat, to be honest. Considering that's the only thing that even keeps me attached to the franchise these days, this might be where I check out of the series for good.

Every once in a while they go with a regular name like Rebirth or Abyss, and Hearts was even directly relevant to the plot for once!

I always thought that Symphonia would have been a far more fitting name for Abyss, given how melodies and sound play a big part in the lore of Abyss' world.

Datschge

Looks and sounds like Tales alright. Always fun to see some people get up in arms about predictable stuff like this. =D

A couple of the selective screenshots in the article look pretty good for Tales.

The battle system of Tales of Berseria is the conventional Linear Motion Battle System (LMBS), now with free-run-based character control,
Oxymoron evolves into an absolute oxymoron.

I also thought the soundtracks for Tales games have gone downhill since Legendia or Symphonia. It's hard to kill Sakuraba and his team for it though, they are asked to churn these out on pretty much a yearly basis, it must be difficult to create so many tracks that sound new and refreshing. But still... I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I thought Graces, Xillia, and Xillia 2's soundtracks were about as generic and dull as they come.
What team? The pieces he did for Tales so far he always had to do alone. No single musician unlike what he gets to use on his work for other games or the army that always accompanies wherever Shiina goes (only exceptions so far are the Abyss *anime* with live strings and obviously last year's live concert with his band).

Dinda

Looks great, i like Velvet. Not a fan of the little boy though, but i guess there is always one kid in JRPGs...

I'm really looking forward to the battle system. Freerun and mapping the arts to the 4 face buttons sounds like a great change.

It's time for another Tales game of Vesperia's quality Bamco!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I bet Velvet and mini-Emil is going to fuse at the end of the game to become the Shepherd. lol.

E92 M3

That red moon reminds me of:

xenogears-8.png

Brew124

I just finished Zestiria last night, so I'm ready to learn more about this one. Can't wait to see what they do with the world in a past setting of Glenwood.

My issue with Tales games of late is their dungeon/field designs have gotten incredibly lazy. I miss the dungeons of previous Tales like Vesperia which were absolutely gorgeous, and an over world full of towns and different areas. I thought the Xillia dungeons and fields were bland dreck.

I also thought the soundtracks for Tales games have gone downhill since Legendia or Symphonia. It's hard to kill Sakuraba and his team for it though, they are asked to churn these out on pretty much a yearly basis, it must be difficult to create so many tracks that sound new and refreshing. But still... I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I thought Graces, Xillia, and Xillia 2's soundtracks were about as generic and dull as they come.

Basically everything has gone downhill since Vesperia, and that pisses me off because that game was so good. I'm dissapointed to see the character models are still lame looking in this game.

Soriku

Characters look pretty bad.

Battle system sounds like it could be pretty bad.

But somehow, I still hope its good.

Not really liking what I'm reading about the combat, to be honest. Considering that's the only thing that even keeps me attached to the franchise these days, this might be where I check out of the series for good.

I'm not really understanding what sounds bad or even "pretty bad" about these combat details? It sounds like Graces/Zestiria but with some more flexibility with the button mapping and camera controls. That's of course ignoring whatever new subsystems they have in place.

3Kaze

I'm not really understanding what sounds bad or even "pretty bad" about these combat details? It sounds like Graces/Zestiria but with some more flexibility with the button mapping and camera controls. That's of course ignoring whatever new subsystems they have in place.

Free run sucks. Free camera sounds bad for multiplayer.

Basically everything has gone downhill since Vesperia, and that pisses me off because that game was so good. I'm dissapointed to see the character models are still lame looking in this game.

Someone needs to put some money into the backing for these games then. Otherwise RIP Tales series.

Soriku

Free run sucks. Free camera sounds bad for multiplayer.

I always preferred the mobility of Free Run so I disagree. It doesn't suck at all.

Also for multiplayer they might allow you to set your own viewpoint instead of choosing preset ones. We don't know yet. And anyway a shoddy multiplayer camera wouldn't make the combat suck.

Someone needs to put some money into the backing for these games then. Otherwise RIP Tales series.

Tales isn't going anywhere.

rhandino

Banned
Will keep and eye on it but I feel that something feels off this time... some of those environments look really nice but that shot of the coast city or whatever looks really blandish...

But aren't all the names gibberish. Whats a Symphonia or an Xillia?
I assume that Symphonia refers to the harmony between
the 2 worlds

Xillia name is kind of messy but basically they said that it's derived from million and billion, Baba wanted the title to have something like a big number in it and started with "Xillion" which eventually was changed to Xillia, most likely for the cool factor. lol

The big number things refers to the fact that within a person's life there are many events and encounters with people which I still don't totally get what does that has to do with the events in the game and it kind of only makes sense in the sequel since
they explore a variety of alternate universes

rhandino

Banned
If Bears turns out to be worth buying, I'm probably going to break my rule about DLC costumes and just buy whatever I can use to get that awfulness off the screen.
I would love to buy those DLC costumes BUT I do remember that most of the time they also change the battle music which was good while playing Jude side in Xillia since his battle music annoyed me but bad while doing the Milla side because her battle themes are some of the best battle themes in the series.

Ch.

3Kaze

I always preferred the mobility of Free Run so I disagree. It doesn't suck at all.

Also for multiplayer they might allow you to set your own viewpoint instead of choosing preset ones. We don't know yet. And anyway a shoddy multiplayer camera wouldn't make the combat suck.

The reason I like Tales combat is because LMBS is somehow similar to traditional fighting games, free running in, let's say Tekken, would feel just wrong. It's also why 2D Tales games were the best. Now it will feel more like 3D beat em all games or something, so that sounds bad to me.

Dark_castle

All I really wanted from Namco Bandai is just the English version of Destiny: Director Cut, Destiny 2, Rebirth, Hearts (DS), and Vesperia (PS3).

Probably won't bother using the kid in my party, just hope he's not so important for the main story that I have to use him too often.

Otherwise liking the other screenshots, looks pretty good, and love Velvet already.

Didn't say it was bad, just that I personally didn't like what I've read about it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Probably won't bother using the kid in my party, just hope he's not so important for the main story that I have to use him too often.

Otherwise liking the other screenshots, looks pretty good, and love Velvet already.

He's the second most important character.

I just hope this game does not depend on Zestiria story wise

Paltheos

Recently I've learned not to take these details too much to heart early. The Xillia trailer had me hype as fuck, and that game is bleh, while the Zestiria trailer left me bored, and I love the game.

aitakute

I would love to buy those DLC costumes BUT I do remember that most of the time they also change the battle music which was good while playing Jude side in Xillia since his battle music annoyed me but bad while doing the Milla side because her battle themes are some of the best battle themes in the series.

Ch.

You can always turn off the costume music

Zukkoyaki

My enjoyment of Tales has been waning ever since Vesperia. The series is hilariously dated and uninspired at this point (in my opinion). Here's hoping that this one breaths a bit of life back into it for me.

Datschge

I wish Velvet was older and I already abhor everything about the child. Oy.
I'm actually surprised she's 19 to be honest, Tales main characters tend to be lower on the teenage scale.

Just as Alisha was the second most important character? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. ;o)

Some Nobody

Eh, this should've came out when that other info hit IMO. I want to know about the other playable characters at this point.

Cornbread78

It's a Tales game, so I will buy day 1 regardless. They are always fun to play and the skits are always entertaining. I'm glad I can enjoy games without nit-picking them to death.

Looks and sounds like Tales alright. Always fun to see

What team? The pieces he did for Tales so far he always had to do alone. No single musician unlike what he gets to use on his work for other games or the army that always accompanies wherever Shiina goes (only exceptions so far are the Abyss *anime* with live strings and obviously last year's live concert with his band).

Shinji Tamura worked with him at least on the original Tales of Phantasia (Fighting of the Spirit is his composition)

Even assuming he is, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be forced to be played, is what I hope.

For example in Xillia, Milla and Jude are the 2 most important chars, and whichever you play, the other is the second most important. But ultimately, you rarely have to have both in your party at a time(other than the start of the game obviously) and you can mostly ignore the other, which I did for Jude.

Jude was just another character in my game, he was barely anymore important than old guy or Elise or whoever else, other than their specific character arc sidestory stuff.

kewlmyc

You can? Because in Xillia and Xillia 2 you definitely can't and I didn't see the option in Zestiria.

Yeah you can, at least in Zestiria. Go to the costume in attachements, and there should be an option to check and uncheck the music note attached to the costume.

rhandino

Banned
Yeah you can, at least in Zestiria. Go to the costume in attachements, and there should be an option to check and uncheck the music note attached to the costume.
Thank god, I lowkey hated that I never used the School outfit for Jude in Milla story because if you have any character in a DLC costume, even if you don't play as him, the battle theme will still change.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I never wanted to change character outfits as much as I already want to in this game. For both her and the boy.

edit: her other outfit in the OP is much better, hoping you'll still be able to use it through the rest of the game as it's usually the case.

Top Bottom