• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria - New setting details & screenshots

Shahed

This game looks worse than Zestiria from what I've seen so far. And Zestiria looked so bland that I skipped that one

Dice//

Banned
Tales-of-Berseria_2016_01-03-16_010.jpg

he is kawaiiiiiii

I honestly hate everything about this halo hair, innocent choir boy, angel wannabe parallel to Velvet's "demon look".

Thumbs down.

Shahed

I would love to buy those DLC costumes BUT I do remember that most of the time they also change the battle music which was good while playing Jude side in Xillia since his battle music annoyed me but bad while doing the Milla side because her battle themes are some of the best battle themes in the series.

Ch.
I usually never buy costumes but I bought Muzet's Sheena outfit and always used her just for the battle music. Fatalize is just awesome. And yeah Milla's side initial battle music was so good. Hated that they changed it later

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I honestly hate everything about this halo hair, innocent choir boy, angel wannabe parallel to Velvet's "demon look".

Thumbs down.

I don't have an opinion about his design, (I just hope he's not annoying), but the fact that Berseria didn't just stick to tropes and instead changed the genders up is kind of a bold move.

ED Cantu

I bet Velvet and mini-Emil is going to fuse at the end of the game to become the Shepherd. lol.

I think that Velvet and the kid will fuse but she appears to be more like a lord of calamity because of her arm, besides there's already a "savior" in the story and Velvets hates him.
Time flows, and three years later...
With the advent of the "savior," and as the Kingdom tries to return order into this world, a young woman passes through.
Her name is Velvet Crowe. Within her eyes burns the fury of having everything taken away from her, her fury for the "savior."
So this "savior" most likely will be the first or one of the first Shepherds, in other word I think we'll play a reverse Zestiria lol.

Datschge

Shinji Tamura worked with him at least on the original Tales of Phantasia (Fighting of the Spirit is his composition)
That's not "his team" at all. Both composers (as well as other sound staff at different points like Ryota Furuya, Takeshi Arai and Hiroshi Tamura) all composed music independently from each other. Just like in Zestiria with Shiina (where the difference in sound budget given was distractingly enormous in this "team").
That's just an example how Star Ocean managed to fall below Tales. =P

Shahed

What? Berseria looks perfectly serviceable
Well I don't think it looks any different than Zestiria really. So what makes it worse is that disaster of an outfit Velvet is wearing and a little brat. Kids are pretty much always annoying with little to no exceptions. Sure this might magically breai the trend, but on top of that he reminds me of Emil, also known as one of the worst characters to ever grace video games.

Zafir

Setting sounds kind of interesting I guess.

Still not sold on the little kid though. I never think little kids add much to Tales of games.

With regards to dungeon design. As long as they finally solve the blatant copy and pasting, I'm not that fussed. I can tolerate not so great designs. What I can't tolerate is not so great designs being reused left right and centre. Xillia you went through the same damn fields loads of times over, and then had the gall to make you go through them again in Xillia 2! Then with Zestiria, they solved the field map issue, only to instead copy and paste dungeon designs instead. The important dungeons got their own designs, which were cool, and had some nice music to boot. The lesser important ones? Enjoy Generic Brown Ruin, or maybe you want Generic Brown Cave instead?

I get that you have to reuse assets to keep dev costs down, but man, at least make it less obvious.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's kind of the problem, this game looks like it will be okay, which is the same as the past few Tales games have been. The franchise needs some shaking up is what I'm saying.

Well i guess...but i say being ok is a lot better than being bad or horrible right?

I mean...Tales budget is holding them back with a lot of these issues. They can't really do as much as they might need to reinvigorate a lot of things, cause the pure scope of that is above the annual release schedule and budget Namco Bandai hands out. The fact they can push out decent titles like this is something i can respect

Neki

I didn't enjoy Zestiria as much as Graces for combat or Vesperia for characters, but the music was great and very memorable. The music for the four trials was fantastic, and actually made the water trial tolerable. The overworld was great too. I'm looking forward to this one.

Datschge

Bi annual, whatever, you know what i mean. They obviously aren't given a lot of time to hash out these games or try a large amount of new things
Tri annual is the current speed which are the longest in the whole series' history. Tales obviously is done on a small budget, but the development times have been increasing steadily, not decreasing at all. Repeating a myth based on the impression Western release dates give doesn't make it a correct discussion point.

Inuhanyou

Tri annual is the current speed which are the longest in the whole series' history. Tales obviously is done on a small budget, but the development times have been increasing steadily, not decreasing at all. Repeating a myth based on the impression Western release dates give doesn't make it a correct discussion point.

Well i never said they were decreasing..

Quonny

None of this stuff means anything to me when it's rarely the characters or settings that turn me off of the entries but rather the bizarre gameplay decisions.

Kid looks cute.

Dark_castle

Thumbs down.
It's a cliche as hell design. Yeah Namco I can already tell where this is going. Velvet is going to be the 'beast' and this shota is going to be 'beauty'. Velvet has tendency to do evil, but our angel boy will make her realize the world is not such a bad place, and then, hugs and kiss.

Oh god....

Sign me up as the only person who thinks this looks good and likes her costume.

Yes, this will be my cause to die for.

It's a Tales game. I know what I'm getting and like it too. People romanticize the good Tales games a bit too much for my liking when shitting on other entries.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's a cliche as hell design. Yeah Namco I can already tell where this is going. Velvet is going to be the 'beast' and this shota is going to be 'beauty'. Velvet has tendency to do evil, but our angel boy will make her realize the world is not such a bad place, and then, hugs and kiss.

Oh god....
A Heart Reignited By Innocence RPG featuring Werewolf Intensive Action Savage Linear Line Battle System

It's a Tales game. I know what I'm getting and like it too. People romanticize the good Tales games a bit too much for my liking when shitting on other entries.

What about the costume looks good? It's an embarrassment and i'm convinced it's deliberately bad in order to sell outfit DLC.

Also i hate that kid and his fuckin' goat feet already.

Anyway, is the rumor about this game is on the same setting as Zestiria true?
It'll be the prequel or something?

Yeah, the first rule of expecting a new Tales of game, do not expect anything. Just enjoy it as it is.

Soulstar

As long as they don't go back to the inferior team symphonia style battle system than I will happily play this game. Though Zesteria's battle system wasn't as good as graces.

As far as I am concerned Graces has far and away the best 3D tales battle system and it would be nice to see it topped.

Mifec

Anyway, is the rumor about this game is on the same setting as Zestiria true?
It'll be the prequel or something?

Yeah, the first rule of expecting a new Tales of game, do not expect anything. Just enjoy it as it is.

It's true. It's in the OP even.

In the world of Wasteland, there is a vast land that spreads out from its center. In the far future, it is a continent known as Glenwood.

Dice//

Banned
I don't have an opinion about his design, (I just hope he's not annoying), but the fact that Berseria didn't just stick to tropes and instead changed the genders up is kind of a bold move.

They sort of did it for Zesty already.

The "common gendered elements" in the series got swapped.

Water > Undine (always female) > Mikleo
Wind > Sylph (often [toboyish] female, once male) > Dezel
Fire > Efreet (always male) > Lailah
Earth > Gnome (often odd male-like figure) > Edna

(and to whatever extent)
Holy > Rem (often female) > Sorey
Dark > Shadow (often male-like) > Symonne

The only thing played up more in JRPGs and anime more than "elements" is dark/light plays... god, it feels like Banco is really running on their last ideas right now....

FSLink

Banned

Thank you for the low quality post. If you disagree, try having a conversation.

I would love to buy those DLC costumes BUT I do remember that most of the time they also change the battle music which was good while playing Jude side in Xillia since his battle music annoyed me but bad while doing the Milla side because her battle themes are some of the best battle themes in the series.

Ch.

You can always turn off the costume music

Turning off costume music was only recently added in Zestiria, was not available in any other entry.

Not really liking what I'm reading about the combat, to be honest. Considering that's the only thing that even keeps me attached to the franchise these days, this might be where I check out of the series for good.

I always thought that Symphonia would have been a far more fitting name for Abyss, given how melodies and sound play a big part in the lore of Abyss' world.

Harmonia was one of the trademarked names along with Abyss. They probably should have went with that.

Symphonia fits ToS well due to the ending.

Dice//

Banned
Harmonia was one of the trademarked names along with Abyss. They probably should have went with that.

Symphonia fits ToS well due to the ending.

Legit was SHOOK to the core when a Tales title had "THE" in it. I didn't think it was Tales for a second. :p
Harmonia would have been a better title....but I think "Tales of the Abyss" has a way cooler sound. And given the amount of commotion that goes "below the surface" (both literally and metaphorically with the characters) I think it suits fine too.

Inuhanyou

I'll be really IMPRESSED if little choirboy turns out to be the villain.

He's not 'good' or 'bad' to begin with. He has no emotion himself.

He's basically only going to grow a human persona because of Velvet's emotions throughout the game, which is the opposite of "kind hearted child gives hardass grimdark a soul"

I think atleast that's a neat little interesting spin on things

Each time a new one comes along, I'm always thinking I'll jump right in and I used to devour these games during the PS2 era but I haven' t been able to complete a single Tales game since Vesperia.

Datschge

jesus christ the last tales game i played was tales of vesperia and theres already 6 after that!?
Vesperia is an 8 years old game that was released at the start of last gen, Berseria is still unreleased even without a date yet and may not come over before next year.

What about the costume looks good? It's an embarrassment and i'm convinced it's deliberately bad in order to sell outfit DLC.

Also i hate that kid and his fuckin' goat feet already.

I was a little unclear in my post; I don't think the costume looks good. I like it though. I think the game looks good.

I have very odd fashion tastes. I also enjoy skin-showing outfits but wouldn't really care if they went away forever. My Xenoblade character has been in a swimsuit top for like 90% of my playtime.

I actually like Laphicet's design, he's a cutie. Just don't be an annoying POS, please.
And share some of that fabric with Velvet.

Sapientas

You can already tell the awful dungeon design full of narrow hallways from Xillia and Zestiria is coming back for this one.
Damn I hated the optional dungeons in Zestiria because of this, all of them are the same and it sucks hard. Later on I just avoided all fights in these.

The more Graces-esque combat gets the better itll get.

Udo! Udo! Udo!

My issue with Tales games of late is their dungeon/field designs have gotten incredibly lazy. I miss the dungeons of previous Tales like Vesperia which were absolutely gorgeous, and an over world full of towns and different areas. I thought the Xillia dungeons and fields were bland dreck.

Because Real-Ass Dungeons that dont play themselves scare loud people.

Top Bottom