• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces f English Trailer | Dated for March 13, 2012 in North America

Box art is ok, i wish we could have

- a choice in the box art ( like xenoblade poll)
- a reversable cover art

as for you audio , i'm not getting my hopes up , for naruto, it's a big franchises and LOTS of people are asking for it ( they know about people watching it subbed ).
For tales i want them to do it ( you have ENOUGH SPACE on the disc DAMMIT !!! ) but seeing how this is handled i don't think we will ..

Zafir

Good job I still have my 40$ Amazon preorder for the american version then. Rather not wait 3 months when I can just import.

scy

(also why are they release Naruto on the same day as Graces F...)

It's a tradition to release a Tales game with some kind of competition. I guess they figured they'd take matters into their own hands this time.

Though, I'm not really sure how much crossover there is from those two demographics...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So this is supposed to be better than FFXIII-2 I guess? People disappointed again with FF make me consider just importing this.
Are you talking about the narrative? Ehh... Graces' narrative isn't confusing, it just isn't super-intruging, so I wouldn't go in with high expectations of an epic drama and whatnot... it's probably one of the better Team Destiny narratives, though. And there's an epilogue section of the game, so you'll get a fulfilling conclusion to the game. FFXIII-2's narrative, at least according to one of my friends, is kind of iffy and confusing even though the characters involved aren't that bad. He does seem to want to kill Mog, though. (I won't use my stream watching as an example, but from my experience, Noel is kinda alright, but the story is lol.)

Comparing the two battle systems is like comparing apples and oranges. One is a turn-based system, and the other is an action-based system.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, well, I think you know of the CSB (command synergy battle system) already. It's turn-based, you select attacks as the meter fills up, you're in an optima set, one of six that you've programmed prior to the battle starting. You can now set formations, monsters are part of the party with a certain job, etc. There are two difficulty settings in this game: Easy and Normal. Easy, I suppose makes it easier to win battles and get more drops. Normal is normal difficulty. It's pretty straightforward, especially if you've played an FF game before.

Tales of Graces is a different beast because it isn't turn-based. So if you've played a Tales game before, you'll know what you're in for... kind of. If you've only played Tales of Symphonia, newer Tales games aren't restricted to a 2D plane. If you've played Tales of the Abyss, Vesperia, or Symphonia 2, you'll already know that the entire battle field in modern Tales games is now in 3D and that you are able to free-run.

Any of the Tales games released in English, particularly the latter Team Symphonia ones, uses TP to utilize Artes. Graces isn't like that, though. It has its own brand of the battle system: SS-LMBS (Style-Shift Linear Motion Battle System), which shifts between A-Style (regular attacks) and B-Style (attacks with your weapon sheathed; ex: kicking, magic, etc). You shift between these styles during combat for better flow.

You do not use TP. You use CC instead. To execute any action at all, you use up CC, which regenerates itself if you dodge at the right time, using an attack that enemies are weak against, if you're idle and waiting for the CC gauge to replenish, and holding down the block button for a while to replenish it immediately. If you free run in this game too long, you are penalized 1 CC, so Free Run is not encouraged. The alternative is to use the game's around-step to avoid the enemy, which is essentially moving the player along different lines around the enemy to avoid attacks or attack it from another side.

Around-stepping the enemy is more advantageous than using Free Run because you can quickly move around the enemy's backside when it's, for example, blocking and attack it quickly. You can easily dodge attacks as well by side-stepping or quickly back-stepping. It's up to you, really.

A-style attacks aren't really regular attacks. They're several attacks arranged in a tree-formation. As you hit the button to execute A-style attacks, you can hold the stick in any direction while hitting the button to move through the tree, and the attacks are determined based on what you last performed on the tree branch. Each attack has its own special effect like strong against certain enemies, steal, etc. B-style attacks are the artes and magic spells. Honestly, the system is just really fun to play around with and it doesn't feel like you're doing the same things over and over.

Another aspect of battle is the Arles Gauge. Keep attacking and varying your attacks between B-Style and A-Style, and the gauge will fill up in your favour, resulting in an Arles Rise. During this, you'll have unlimited CC to chain attacks and use artes. You can also use hi-ougis/mystic artes in this mode. If the Arles Gauge fills up in your enemies' favour (Arles Break), they are harder to stagger, their attacks are a little stronger, and if you're fighting certain enemies, THEY can use their hi-ougis/mystic artes against you.

Speaking of Arles, you have access to something called the "Arles Pot". You can add food and books to this pot, and it essentially acts as a Gambit machine. The Arles Pot has its own energy base. You can combine items to make food, accessories, etc. it. After you make food, you put it in the Arles Pot and assign a gambit-like condition to it like "use Pizza when HP< 40%". When this condition is met, the food will be used automatically (and this will happen only once in battle). This will use up some of the Arles Pot's energy, and you refill those at shops. Do note that you can stick more than one food item in the pot. You can also stick books in there that will have certain effects like the Fleet Footed Grimoire which'll let you move faster in/out of battle, or the Hot Blooded Grimoire, which'll halve your stats in battle, but you'll get 2x XP.

All the systems pretty much work well in sync with each other... and very well to boot. Oh, and titles grant certain stat bonuses and will give you new skills if you level them up. They work way better than Titles in past Tales games.

And Graces has six difficulty settings: Easy, Normal, Second, Hard, Evil, Chaos. I generally play on Chaos mode. As you increase difficulty, the enemies get more HP and they hit harder. To unlock Chaos difficulty, you must play 300 battles on Evil difficulty... other difficulties are unlocked in this manner.

RPGCrazied

Is it just me, or is Namco not advertising this at all? And they wonder how come the Tales of series sells like crap here in the states. :( I mean, the game comes out in what, 1 1/2 months? Haven't really seen that much. Except some off camera battle videos. What about a website? I don't think we even got any English screenshots yet. The off camera battle was in English, but you could hardly see or hear anything.

We don't even know the voice over cast yet. And they announced this US/EU release of this over a year ago.

Wtf?

RPGCrazied

Heh, yeah. I guess we can rule out a CE of this then, if they aren't forking over any $$$ for advertising and what not. Though, I'd really love to have a steel case like Vesperia, or the art books like Symphonia and Legendia.

RPGCrazied

Or they got their info wrong. The trailer in this thread, at the end, even says 3 - 13 - 12. I'm going to go with Namco on this one. There is even a press release about the release date.

EDIT: Nevermind. It is summer of 2012 for EU. I'm in America though, so it don't phase me. Just import it. PS3 is region free.

Is it just me, or is Namco not advertising this at all? And they wonder how come the Tales of series sells like crap here in the states. :( I mean, the game comes out in what, 1 1/2 months? Haven't really seen that much. Except some off camera battle videos. What about a website? I don't think we even got any English screenshots yet. The off camera battle was in English, but you could hardly see or hear anything.

We don't even know the voice over cast yet. And they announced this US/EU release of this over a year ago.

Wtf?

Was quite sure articles said in store displays are going up soon. Doesnt make sense to start advertising, in my opinion, before FFXIII2 comes out.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Namco didn't start advertising Soul Calibur 5 until this month, the month it was being released, and that it one of its big franchises. Don't be surprised if Tales of Graces F gets the Namco Hype machine in March 1st.

:(

Namco didn't start advertising Soul Calibur 5 until this month, the month it was being released, and that it one of its big franchises. Don't be surprised if Tales of Graces F gets the Namco Hype machine in March 1st.

:(

i can understand the ads but i haven't seen any sort of trailer aside from the one in this thread ..

I was surprised to see posters as well at my local GameStop. It's not much, but I guess it is something. It will alert those open to buying that it's coming and probably turn off those who don't know what it is.

I loved the shit out of Vesperia and think it's hands own the best traditional JRPG of the gen (second overall to Valkyria Chronicles), but this trailer does not make me look forward to playing this at all.

This will be my first Tales game. My only real complaint about what I've seen are the character designs. They don't really appeal to me.

Other than that it looks like a solid JRPG judging from impressions, so I cant afford to miss it out!

Me too broski, and if this at least entertains me as much as Star Ocean 4 did, I'd be satisfied.

Not looking forward to the cheesy friendship themed story tho.

Seda

I need to get another DS3 so I can play this with my bro.

Where can I get a new one that's not super expensive?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Me too broski, and if this at least entertains me as much as Star Ocean 4 did, I'd be satisfied.

Not looking forward to the cheesy friendship themed story tho.

If you can survive Star Ocean 4, you can survive anything the Tales games will throw at you.

Speaking of SO4, the requirements for a platinum trophy for this Tales of Graces F dont even seem as intense, I guess that will remain the most intense platinum for a JRPG.

Though Graces F seems to require at least two playthroughs...

Seda

Speaking of SO4, the requirements for a platinum trophy for this Tales of Graces F dont even seem as intense, I guess that will remain the most intense platinum for a JRPG.

Nothing is as time consuming and tedious as getting all achievements in SO4.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's a great entry for new players. Any title is actually a good entry for this generation.

I wouldn't recommend Tales of Innocence and Tales of the Tempest for the NDS.

Bladenic

Yeah, I'm not expecting advertising for this. Though Soulcalibur 5 comes out today and the marketing for that has been surprisingly low key, so maybe Namco just straight up sucks now? Oh well, I'll be buying. Hope we miraculously get Xillia too.

CrazyDude

Yeah, I'm not expecting advertising for this. Though Soulcalibur 5 comes out today and the marketing for that has been surprisingly low key, so maybe Namco just straight up sucks now? Oh well, I'll be buying. Hope we miraculously get Xillia too.

Well we did miraculously get graces.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Yeah, the Graces f trophies are really easy to get, though one is pretty time-consuming. If you've played Vesperia, they're much easier than that! Don't sweat about the "defeat ___ in under 1 minute!" trophies, either. I started the game and tried to unlock the highest difficulty as soon as possible, so all I did was lower the difficulty whenever those boss trophies came up, unlocked the trophy, and reloaded to play the boss fight in a proper way.

You can, however, get all the trophies in one playthrough (since the EX dungeon will be unlocked once you beat the game and load your clear file). Two would make getting everything easier since the Grade Shop bonuses will make things easier and faster for you (especially for the Gentleman trophy).

Top Bottom