• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Teknoman

Wait, it's seriously 30FPS? Oh, c'mon, Bamco, really? Really?

On the upside, that'll make sure I don't make the gigantic mistake of trying to play Symphonia again. I was in a very different place when I played the Gamecube version a decade ago, and I know darn well I shouldn't go back.

Symphonia was pretty fun, and still is imo...but the only Tales games i've played are that and Vesperia.

That being said, im glad I held onto my GC copy...30 fps...thats just nuts. Is there any way they could patch in improvements?

i swear i read impressions somewhere that the sequel is 60fps.... no?

still have the gcn around, but am scared to replay this, don't think i have the tolerance for the plethora of bullshit padding in this.

Damaniel

Banned
30 FPS is rather sad. I've been playing the GameCube version in Dolphin, and the graphics hold up surprisingly well. Not to mention it isn't stuck at 30 FPS...

Best OT title I've seen in a long time, made me literally laugh out loud. Good job OP, good job. (also cant wait for this game)

Yeah, but trying playing it in 480p(gamecube) on your current TV. Would look worse than this. Sure it could have some texture rework, but just be happy its in 720p widescreen.

Yes, just be happy they did a beyond mediocre work at porting the game, and made some unnecessary changes for the worse...

Just for reference, this is how the game looks running on dolphin:
799px-Tales_of_Symphonia_D3D11_Cinema_Bug2.jpg

Begaria

I've been waiting for this damn game to come out. I've got every english release of every other Tales game after Symphonia, but I'm waiting to play them in order of release. So Symphonia has been holding that up.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Did TOS keep the opening from the american version? I liked that one.

Man, hard to believe this game came out... back in 2004. Was dying for a new gamecube game, took a chance on this when it came out and I am happy I took that risk (not a huge rpg nut at the time) Loved playing this with my buddy and staying up late. This time i'll be going solo.

Funnily enough, after this tales game, I ended up buying every other tales game that came out, but this is the only one I have ever beaten (well, not the sequel).

RPGCrazied

Yes, just be happy they did a beyond mediocre work at porting the game, and made some unnecessary changes for the worse...

But doesn't that need a pretty beefy computer to run? Plus no trophy support. :p

ohlawd

Amazon will deliver this shit to me a week later after launch :(

I love the title. No amount of additions will make me think this port is superior to the original. 30 FPS in battle is nothing short of vomit inducing.

Good that they kept the orchestrated OPs. Starry Heavens is so awful. I haven't heard the Japanese OP for DotNW.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh my god, that title is incredible.

I was thinking about renting this but I'm not really sure after hearing stuff like that. I'm also not sure how it will feel going backwards to Symphonia's combat.

no.

hmmm. i can't recall, but would 30fps really be a difference for a jrpg?

tales games are more akin to... a simple fighter or action rpg gameplay wise.... so it does kinda matter.

It doesn't help that pretty much every tales games since have been 60fps (at least for battles).

Astra

I'm really looking forward to replaying Symphonia. It's going to be so weird not having voiced skits, though.

Terra_Ex

No 60fps, you're not even trying are you Bamco? And why would they remove the outlines... I really liked Symphonia's outlined style and was disappointed when they ditched it for subsequent titles, seeing that they've been toned down or outright removed in this shots is yet another letdown. Anyway, bearing in mind these developments, I will buy it eventually after a price drop, solely for the original but I won't touch DoTN again. Or I might just emulate the gamecube version, looking at SilentRacoon's screenshot.

Yazuka

Really looking forward to replay Symphonia and to try DOTNW. Got my copy ordered, now just waiting for the 28th to come...

wrowa

This looks so much better than what we're actually getting, it's not even funny.

Tohsaka

The lack of 60FPS sucks, but I'm buying it to support the fact that we're finally getting a dual audio Tales game. I also never played the sequel, which I've heard isn't that great but I'll be giving it a shot anyway. I probably won't play either game for a while though since I have a backlog piling up as it is, and I'm also getting Thief and LoS 2 the same day.

Ricky 7

What the hell, I was seriously thinking about getting this but 30FPS is just dumb. Can't believe it's worse than the GC version. >_<

Damaniel

Banned

This is pretty much the minimum standard I'd expect for a HD rerelease of a 10 year old game. Dolphin isn't even replacing textures or anything - it's purely doing resolution upscaling and (maybe) some texture smoothing. The idea that they're doing a rerelease of the game and can't even reach those relatively modest goals is kind of insulting. The framerate drop is doubly insulting - the PS3, while long in the tooth, is still many times faster than a Gamecube - just a jump from 480i to 720p resolution should be easily doable at the same framerate, and the jump to 1080p should be at least possible.

I think I'll just stick to the Gamecube version via Dolphin - it's one of the prized possessions of my Gamecube collection (along with Skies of Arcadia Legends).

The original post makes me yearn for the GC version's font.

Symphonia is one of my favorite games of all time. The drop to 30FPS sucks and it's immediately noticeable (although from what I played of the PS3 version, it runs slightly smoother than the PS2 version). At least this has dual audio so I don't have to listen to Lloyd's chipmunk voice in the sequel.

I would have liked the ability to skip cutscenes and voiced skits for the original, but oh well. Can't win 'em all.

I'm probably the only person getting the CE on GAF. lol

You're not.
I won mine but the CE would have been what I went with anyway. :p

Roto13

Symphonia's combat is like *3D Tales game* without *feature that makes the combat in that specific 3D Tales game stand out*

It's basically the foundation for all of the combat used in 3D Tales games except there's nothing built on it yet.

Top Bottom