• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss (Working Title) [3DS] Announced

Peff

RPG_Fanatic said:
I hope they will fix some of the technical issues.

Yeah, the world map should run with an fps higher than one digit, so that would be a big improvement. I hope it makes it to Europe since the PS2 version never did. Rehosted pics for those who can't see the site:

lVt5y.jpg

yK8xf.jpg

43uVt.jpg

1WEzC.jpg

If this actually makes it to the UK I'll be very happy
although I'm not holding my breath at the moment.

I've watched the anime, so I sort of know what happens, but I'd still love to be able to play it.

It was a very solid Tales game, just the backtracking is tedious and the story not being as interesting towards the end.
I just hope they add enough content to warrant another playthrough.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
storafötter said:
I disagree, I liked the characters of Legendia better (even if that game was flawed in a billion ways).
It was a very solid Tales game, just the backtracking is tedious and the story not being as interesting towards the end.

Character not characters.

And no Abyss objectively has the best character in the series.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pretty cool, though I'd be a bit more interested in a new Tales game. Abyss was definitely one of the better games in the series, technical issues and several pacing issues aside.

Yazuka

My god! I hope it comes outside of Japan, be it a port or whatever!
I'm so gay for Jade. And being able to cary him around everywhere would be nice. I'm gay for Tear also. Those melons...

faridmon

the PS2 game never came out in EU land so i hope this one does.

I want Tales of Symphonia 3DS but I'll gladly take this one.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
_dementia said:
Was the original any good?
Eh, middle ground I guess, depends on what you like out of Tales games. Personally I think Team Destiny games are ace and Team Symphonia games are slower, overly bloated mediocrity (though still enjoyable since the core Tales battle system rocks).

Hope they clean up the world map, get rid of the load times and give us a better ending or some definitive epilogue or something.
Love Abyss though, so triple dip.

Roto13

I don't get excited about Tales games any more because apparently Namco has stopped localizing them. Fuck 'em if they don't want my money.

And Legendia had one character who wasn't completely annoying. And she was still pretty annoying.

Magicpaint said:
Hope they clean up the world map, get rid of the load times and give us a better ending or some definitive epilogue or something.
Love Abyss though, so triple dip.

i really hope they don't do this.

Bebpo

Banned
Tales of the Abyss is the best Tales game.

Unfortunately it's flawed by two things:
-Load times
-Crappy world map framerate

#1 should be fixed automatically by using a cart (well unless they fuck it up like FF3) and #2 will probably be fixed since it's not like the world map is that detailed.

So as long as they keep ALL the voice (no cutting the 4gig+ full dvd down to fit in a 2gig cart) and they don't have to cut down polys tooo much, it should become the definitive version of the best Tales game to date.

If they add anything like extra moves, sidequests, etc...it'll be even better, but I'm guessing it's just a straight port. Which is fine since Abyss has loads of content already.

Manaka

Technical issues aside it was a great game.
The backtracking is the worst part- not really long backtracking, just that later on you have to go to a city for a 1 minute cutscene, go to the next city and so on.
Hope they also make some changes to the battle system (maybe implement stuff from Graces/Vesperia)

VariantX

Bebpo said:
Tales of the Abyss is the best Tales game.

Unfortunately it's flawed by two things:
-Load times
-Crappy world map framerate

#1 should be fixed automatically by using a cart (well unless they fuck it up like FF3) and #2 will probably be fixed since it's not like the world map is that detailed.

So as long as they keep ALL the voice (no cutting the 4gig+ full dvd down to fit in a 2gig cart) and they don't have to cut down polys tooo much, it should become the definitive version of the best Tales game to date.

If they add anything like extra moves, sidequests, etc...it'll be even better, but I'm guessing it's just a straight port. Which is fine since Abyss has loads of content already.

Leaving out the endless backtracking in the latter half of the game as a flaw too

I'm trying to be positive about this, but...

... And if the 3DS ends up region-locked like it most probably will, I won't even be able to import.

Bebpo

Banned
Honestly I didn't really notice any bad backtracking when I played it years ago. Game seemed paced decently besides the sloooow beginning.

But I'll take everyone's word that there was some heavy backtracking that I didn't let bother me.

Syril

VariantX said:
Leaving out the endless backtracking in the latter half of the game as a flaw too

It was weird too, because before then, you'd occasionally get prompts asking if you wanted to rush to your destination instantly.

Peff

I wouldn't worry about this coming abroad. Graces was just a matter of bad timing, plus Namco recently announced that the TotA anime would be getting a North American release. Other than Paper Mario next year is mostly empty of RPGS for the 3DS, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe, so the chances are good.

Peff said:
I wouldn't worry about this coming abroad. Graces was just a matter of bad timing, plus Namco recently announced that the TotA anime would be getting a North American release. Other than Paper Mario next year is mostly empty of RPGS for the 3DS, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe, so the chances are good.

You make a good case.

On the other hand, this is Namco Bandai.

Please bring this over, Namco.

Bah, who am I kidding, you won't.

But please?

I'd love a portable Tales of the Abyss. It's my favorite Tales game.

So pretty please?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Peff said:
I wouldn't worry about Vesperia PS3 coming abroad. Symphonia PS2 was just a matter of bad timing, plus there have been hints that the Vesperia movie could be getting a North American release. Other than White Knight Chronicles II next year is mostly empty of RPGS for the PS3, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe LATE, so the chances are good.

I wouldn't worry about Graces coming abroad. Vesperia PS3 was just a matter of bad timing, plus the opening song is already in English. Other than Arc Rise Fantasia this year is mostly empty of RPGS for the Wii, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe, so the chances are good.

madara

Bebpo said:
Honestly I didn't really notice any bad backtracking when I played it years ago. Game seemed paced decently besides the sloooow beginning.

But I'll take everyone's word that there was some heavy backtracking that I didn't let bother me.

Aye, shame others didnt enjoy every sec I was upset when it ended, I wanted more. :lol

Namco has handled exactly half a tales game on handhelds for the West.

I'd never say them handling another half or an entire one is likely, plausible or has a good chance at all.

Top Bottom