• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss (Working Title) [3DS] Announced

Peff said:
I wouldn't worry about this coming abroad. Graces was just a matter of bad timing, plus Namco recently announced that the TotA anime would be getting a North American release. Other than Paper Mario next year is mostly empty of RPGS for the 3DS, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe, so the chances are good.

holy shit, seriously? I need to look into this.

I prefer Vesperia, but Abyss was great too. I hope they bring that one over too.
A new Tales game wouldn't be bad either... >.>

HK-47 said:
It was a good Tales game. It also has the best character in the whole series.

Sure Jade is awesome, but Luke is unbearable, especially towards the end of the game.

Princess Skittles said:
They're going to release the damn animes but not the games? God, I hate Namco so much.

Well, TotA did come out in America...

Jeels

Abyss is one of my favorites. HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE.

3DS might be my favorite gaming platform of all time at this point. Not just handheld, but platform.

B.K.

Princess Skittles said:
They're going to release the damn animes but not the games? God, I hate Namco so much.

No Bandai Entertainment is releasing the anime in America. Not Bandai Namco.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
kiryogi said:
Yeah im not looking forward to having to own 2 3DS.

It's not like you have to own two Wiis to play Japanese and North American games. Just wait until somebody finds a way around the region-locking.

grandjedi6 said:
I wouldn't worry about Vesperia PS3 coming abroad. Symphonia PS2 was just a matter of bad timing, plus there have been hints that the Vesperia movie could be getting a North American release. Other than White Knight Chronicles II next year is mostly empty of RPGS for the PS3, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe LATE, so the chances are good.

I wouldn't worry about Graces coming abroad. Vesperia PS3 was just a matter of bad timing, plus the opening song is already in English. Other than Arc Rise Fantasia this year is mostly empty of RPGS for the Wii, the game is praised, and it was never released in Europe, so the chances are good.

well done.

when it comes to the tales series fan-translations is all one can hope for now.

Korigama

spindashing said:
I hope they get the original voice actors used in the game. Is Tear's ENG voice actor still unknown? :lol

I'm pretty sure that Tear's English VA was Heather Halley (who also voiced Para-Medic in MGS3).

kiryogi

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
It's not like you have to own two Wiis to play Japanese and North American games. Just wait until somebody founds a way around the region-locking.
Fact that the DSi hasn't been worked around doesn't seem promising to me. Besides. I'd want a japanese 3ds for their shop channel.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
kiryogi said:
Fact that the DSi hasn't been worked around doesn't seem promising to me. Besides. I'd want a japanese 3ds for their shop channel.

Thing is, nobody gives a shit about hacking the DSi cause everybody has a DS.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I felt ToS was average so I haven't played a Tales game since (I didn't play Vespera because my brother's room smells like crotch and axe). but if this comes over, I'll try it out

Vanille

Eh, seems really pointless. I'd much rather have an enhanced Symphonia port with free run.

Tears For Fears said:
Will buy if they fix the shitty ending.

Fuck you. The ending was perfect. <3

B.K.

Shalashaska161 said:
I never played Abyss and I always wanted too.

They reprinted it. It's pretty easy to find at Gamestop now. They sell it used for $20. You'd be a lot better off getting it from them instead of waiting for the 3DS version to come to America.

Icicle

Pardon my ignorance, I haven't been following 3DS news that closely, but have they announced cartridges that are bigger than 2GB? I don't see how they would fit a game that presumably took up 4.7GB into so little space...

Regardless...HYPE!

Peff

The game was around 3 Gigabytes if I remember correctly, and the maximum capacity of the 3DS carts (at launch) is 2 Gigabytes. It's probably doable with the right compression.

cnet128

Banned
I adored Tales of the Abyss, and it remains one of my favourite Tales games. However, I'm really not sure that I could honestly be bothered to re-buy the same game and play through it all over again, even with the upgrades of higher-quality 3D graphics and no loading times. Unless they're adding in some kind of serious new content, I'm leaning tentatively towards a no-buy for the moment, particularly if they have to reduce the quantity of voice-acting to fit it on a cartridge.

HK-47 said:
It was a good Tales game. It also has the best character in the whole series.
Yep, gotta love Anise =D

If localized, this could be a good chance for me to finally play this game. The only Tales game I've played is Symphonia which I liked back in the day.

Rpgmonkey

Bebpo said:
Tales of the Abyss is the best Tales game.

Unfortunately it's flawed by two things:
-Load times
-Crappy world map framerate

#1 should be fixed automatically by using a cart (well unless they fuck it up like FF3) and #2 will probably be fixed since it's not like the world map is that detailed.

So as long as they keep ALL the voice (no cutting the 4gig+ full dvd down to fit in a 2gig cart) and they don't have to cut down polys tooo much, it should become the definitive version of the best Tales game to date.

If they add anything like extra moves, sidequests, etc...it'll be even better, but I'm guessing it's just a straight port. Which is fine since Abyss has loads of content already.

For now I just want some simple additions/improvements, like a Monster Encyclopedia, fixing the "1 damage" problem when playing on higher difficulties, a "Long-haired Luke" costume, and the ability to own more than one of each C. Core, but it'd be nice if it went into new sidequests and such.

Icicle said:
Pardon my ignorance, I haven't been following 3DS news that closely, but have they announced cartridges that are bigger than 2GB? I don't see how they would fit a game that presumably took up 4.7GB into so little space...

Regardless...HYPE!

They've managed to fit Rebirth and Destiny 2, both PS2 games, onto a UMD. Sure they likely weren't Abyss-levels of content, but they seem to be able to port their PS2 games without cutting out stuff.

For now I think they can do it without major compromises.

hhafiz

Korigama said:
I'm pretty sure that Tear's English VA was Heather Halley (who also voiced Para-Medic in MGS3).
Nope, Halley herself confirmed that she didn't voice her. She admits to voicing Chloe from Legendia, though.

If this is localized I'd give it another shot. TotA was not my favorite Tales experience, mainly because of the technical issues and a few of the characters (Luke, Anise). I also felt like I didn't give it a fair chance (even though I did its secret boss). Plus, it's been years since I played it.

Sagitario

dragonlife29 said:
If this is localized I'd give it another shot. TotA was not my favorite Tales experience, mainly because of the technical issues and a few of the characters (Luke, Anise). I also felt like I didn't give it a fair chance (even though I did its secret boss). Plus, it's been years since I played it.

You should definitely give it a second chance.

I've never encountered/played a game with a character so annoying that could make me stop playing.

Seda

I didn't think this was worth a new thread, but there's was a bit of information revealed in the latest Famitsu.

Basically:

- Art elements haven’t been changed much from the PS2 version
- Improved load times
- All character voices are intact
- Game is based off the PS2&#8242;s NA version (This means there will be some new Artes for Japanese players to use.)
- Only a few new elements
- Events are displayed in widescreen and battles are now in 3D.

Siliconera

Andriasang

Also, an earlier Andriasang link with some screens.

2132427468_view.jpg
2132427469_view.jpg

2132427471_view.jpg
2132427470_view.jpg

Also, I don't know how new this teaser site is.

http://toa.namco-ch.net/

john tv said:
Hot damn, can't wait for this. "Improved load times" better mean "next-to-no load times" tho. :p

Well, given that the 3DS uses a quicker method than a DVD............... I would say it will be greatly enhanced.

Father_Brain said:
"Battles are now in 3D?" So does that mean that the towns, dundgeons world map, etc. aren't?

I think it means that the battles will have planes now instead of just being on one level?

Seda

AceBandage said:
I think it means that the battles will have planes now instead of just being on one level?

I don't think so, Tales of the Abyss had a three dimensional battle plane (Hold L2 to free run on the PS2 version, similar to Vesperia), unlike Symphonia were you could only move left or right (no free run).

B.K.

Father_Brain said:
"Battles are now in 3D?" So does that mean that the towns, dundgeons world map, etc. aren't?

I assume the 3D they're referring to is the 3D gimmick of the 3DS.

_Xenon_

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I guess that means the battles have that 3D effect activated. The whole game should be the same as PS2 version.

Top Bottom