• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology (PSP) new blowout show that is HAS town afterall

New website update...some ToD stuff (the release date 11/22 and theme song by studio DEEN as the original) and new round of ToW:RM pics!

And it has town!

And skits!

And...yes more battle screens!

and heaving antialiasing problems xd

Equiping armor and weapons change your outfit, in your customized characters that is. Cameos keep their original suits.
scr6_4b.jpg

scr6_5b.jpg

Quests of course! Doing deliveries rock, doesn't it? guys?
You ask the guild master, you do the job, you return, you get your reward.
scr7_1b.jpg

scr7_2b.jpg

scr7_3b.jpg

scr7_4b.jpg

scr7_5b.jpg

More about the quest system:
You can have 4 members in your party as usual (Tempest breaks that rule though).
Yes, lots of cameos to let you choose your favourite team.
scr7_6b.jpg

scr7_7b.jpg

Of course you can choose whoever you want to fight with you, of those available that is.
scr7_8b.jpg

scr7_9b.jpg

Skit systems as usual with portraits.
Dubbed and animated!
scr9_1b.jpg

scr9_2b.jpg

scr9_3b.jpg

Cameo characters, as of now, Chester, Lloyd and Raine (Refill). But we know a few more...
scr5_2b.jpg

scr5_3b.jpg

scr5_5b.jpg

scr5_6b.jpg

scr5_8b.jpg

scr5_9b.jpg

Last! THERE IS A TOWN YES!
No worldmap (I don't know if this is a bad or a good thing actually xD)
They explain a little about the story...something like choosen child born from a tree that takes the planet energy and such...a resistance orginazation...blablabla
scr10_1b.jpg

scr10_2b.jpg

scr10_3b.jpg

scr10_4b.jpg

Well, that is...no date for ToW yet (but they said Winter or 2006 can't remember now) and they have october covered by tempest, november by destiny...maybe december for the world.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I just saw this at Game Watch.

This could be amazing, like GoTY PSP, and one of the best (or the best) portable rpgs ever. Everything is going to depend on the battle system. If we get a battle system as deep and fun as the Abyss one + tons of dungeon crawling + portability + character costuming + face chats = AWESOME BEYOND WORDS.

If the battle system is shallow and sucks, then it will be a total waste :(

MoxManiac said:
Tales of the never-going-to-be-released-in-US-or-EU

Every 3D Tales has come to the US. This will too.

ezekial45

Banned
The game looks pretty cool. I like the idea of creating a character for you to use. Too bad i don't have a PSP.

Btw, is there even a remote possibility that Tales of Rebirth or Tales of Destiny 2 (The Real One) will ever see a U.S release?

looks very nice. i dont see much problem with the jaggies (lol you gonna complain about jaggies on the PSP? lol). hopefully a US version will come

Andy787

Banned
That actually looks really, really good. I'll probably pick this up if it gets released here, which it should considering it's not 2D nor is it a port.

ezekial45 said:
The game looks pretty cool. I like the idea of creating a character for you to use. Too bad i don't have a PSP.

Btw, is there even a remote possibility that Tales of Rebirth or Tales of Destiny 2 (The Real One) will ever see a U.S release?
Nope for PS2, being realistic.

Maybe ToD2 PSP with 30% new content if both Namco Hometek and SCEA get the thing right for the first time ever.

Anyway, PSP is region free so I rejoice! (when I get a PSP that is).

Just saw GameWatch thanks to Bebpo...more screens which show bigger world and really good-looking flashy battle system.

tow29.jpg

tow31.jpg

tow22.jpg

tow28.jpg

tow25.jpg

More here (some repeated): http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060901/tow.htm

Bebpo

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Wow. Optimistic much?

No, just stating how it is. It's a dungeon crawler so story/characters = non-existant so we don't even have to take that into consideration. Thus we know what we are getting: dungeons + battles + on the go.

Therefore if Abyss-worthy battle system = best portable rpg ever

Else = sucks.

Amir0x

Banned
Good maybe if they strip the story out it won't be painful. I'm still on the ropes here, Tales dungeon just screams of half-hearted effort :|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
oh btw guys, i think this would have been better on ds anyone agree?
In what way?

From a sales point of view, maybe so, but I don't play sales charts.

As a game, however, it's on the right platform.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
In what way?

From a sales point of view, maybe so, but I don't play sales charts.

As a game, however, it's on the right platform.

heh he was being sarcastic i think

eXistor

I love the Tales games, but aren't they going a little overboard with it all? It's better to have too many than too little I guess, but with the Tales games being kinda hit-and-miss, it's hard to get too excited about a dungeon crawler.

Actual cameo cast:

Arche, Chester (Phantasia)
? (Destiny)
? (Eternia)
? (Destiny 2)
Lloyd, Raine (Symphonia)
Eugene (Rebirth)
Senel (Legendia)
Luke (Abyss)

I also heard Stahn from Destiny and Moses from Legendia ... but I can't find pics showing them :/

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you know ds fanboys are getting uppity when they start railing on psp graphics. meanwhile they praise tales of the tempest, or even that yggdrasil labyrinth thing, which integrates 2d and 3d as ineptly as any game since virtual hydlide on saturn. it's difficult to believe.

i doubt this will be localized -- none of the other games have -- but i would be interested. i liked tales of symphonia in spite of its story, and an actiony combat system plus dungeon crawling would be neat.

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
Every 3D Tales has come to the US. This will too.
To be fair, it's actually a 3D Tales spinoff though. I personally think a US release is likely, but this thing isn't exactly guaranteed... hell Tempest isn't exactly guaranteed either and it's an actual 3D Tales.

Bebpo

Banned
Note that the game is probably going to be running at 60fps in battle. So it should look pretty damn good in motion.

jarrod said:
In every respect but games... hmm, I see a pattern!

Wait, are you seriously going to try to argue that the N64 had a better game library than the DC?

:lol

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
haha, deliciously perfect and you don't even realize it
What can I say, PS2 sort of makes certain parts of the equation redundant. ;)

Dreamcast = worst SEGA console ever. PSP = worst PlayStation ever. Both thanks chiefly to PS2!

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Looks like you're having trouble reconciling my wisdom. I suggest retiring the glorified 3rd Strike player and going on a Saturn fueled ebay binge!

LevelNth said:
I thought the exact same thing when I read his response. :lol
Are you speaking for yourself, or the Sonycore hive mind?

ethelred

Er, I'd say preemptively declaring this the best portable RPG ever is pretty damned out there, personally.

It does look like it could be great, but ****ing come on -- that kind of overhyping is just ridiculous.

i'm sold if its voiced.

I like tales, i like face chats, i like voices.

Could be a fun game, but only time will tell.

More importantly, i get phantasia next week <3 psp

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
Er, I'd say preemptively declaring this the best portable RPG ever is pretty damned out there, personally.

It does look like it could be great, but ****ing come on -- that kind of overhyping is just ridiculous.

Doesn't really have much competition. Golden Sun? Mother 3? FF Legends? If the battle system is as good as a real Tales game, then it'll blow all of them away in pure non-stop fun. Portable deep Tales battle system on the go is about the most fun thing I can think of while on a trip.

But I love the Tales battle system, especially the 3D ones, so it might just be me.

Bebpo said:
Doesn't really have much competition. Golden Sun? Mother 3? FF Legends? If the battle system is as good as a real Tales game, then it'll blow all of them away in pure non-stop fun. Portable deep Tales battle system on the go is about the most fun thing I can think of while on a trip.

But I love the Tales battle system, especially the 3D ones, so it might just be me.

The 3d ones are never that deep, but they ARE still loads more fun then the average turn based fare.

Top Bottom