• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology (PSP) new blowout show that is HAS town afterall

Monk

Banned
drohne said:
you know ds fanboys are getting uppity when they start railing on psp graphics. meanwhile they praise tales of the tempest, or even that yggdrasil labyrinth thing, which integrates 2d and 3d as ineptly as any game since virtual hydlide on saturn. it's difficult to believe.

Wait, this is the best the psp can do? I feel suddenly ripped off buying a psp. :p

Bur have you seen yggdrasil Labyrith in motion? I think it is hard to make any judgement with the current media at hand.

Thsi is the best pic of hydlide i could find:
vrhforest.jpg

Versus

eo040.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:
Doesn't really have much competition. Golden Sun? Mother 3? FF Legends? If the battle system is as good as a real Tales game, then it'll blow all of them away in pure non-stop fun. Portable deep Tales battle system on the go is about the most fun thing I can think of while on a trip.

But I love the Tales battle system, especially the 3D ones, so it might just be me.
you are crazy if you think this is going to be the best portable rpg.

and to your competion comment looks like you completely ignored the DS awesome RPG line up (then again this doesnt surprise coming from you :p), what about FF3, ToT, DQM, Pokemon etc.. etc..?

Amir0x

Banned
Monk said:
Wait, this is the best the psp can do? I feel suddenly ripped off buying a psp. :p

Bur have you seen yggdrasil Labyrith in motion? I think it is hard to make any judgement with the current media at hand.

Thsi is the best pic of hydlide i could find:
vrhforest.jpg

Versus

eo040.jpg

the second image you posted showcases none of the horrifically ugly 3D elements of Yggdrasil Labryrinth that drohne was referring to so the comparrison is a TAD silly there.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I cant see what image he posted but you gotta be kidding me if you think this looks horrible

eo026.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:
I cant see what image he posted but you gotta be kidding me if you think this looks horrible

eo026.jpg

Error2k4, we're gonna go through this same circle discussion again. We've already discussed that I think hilariously low geometry environments with pixelated mess mess textures is atrocious and unattractice, and you and others have already established that lowering standards is par the course for 3D DS games.

That's we're we are going to end up at the end of any discussion about 3D DS games.

Amir0x

Banned
well yeah because one side is gonna go 'colors i mean art direction HOW CAN YOU ARGUE' and the other side is going to point out many glaringly obvious technical issues that make it severely unattractive which will just be chalked up to 'preference.'

Whoever wins, we all lose.

ethelred

The hell, Ami? He already gave up the argument, said it was pointless, let you have the last word -- and you still had to take another jab to try and incite again? Christ, man.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
The hell, Ami? He already gave up the argument, said it was pointless, let you have the last word -- and you still had to take another jab to try and incite again? Christ, man.

What are you talkin' about man, it was a joke

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
you are crazy if you think this is going to be the best portable rpg.

and to your competion comment looks like you completely ignored the DS awesome RPG line up (then again this doesnt surprise coming from you :p), what about FF3, ToT, DQM, Pokemon etc.. etc..?

I only comment on games I've played. FF3 from the little I've played is great, but the battle system is the same old, same old. ToT? I dunno, but the battles here look a hell of a lot nicer than there. DQM is just standard DQ battles, and I can't comment on Pokemon since I don't play the series.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. I've enjoyed plenty of portable rpgs on the DS/PSP/GBA, but in my personal opinion the Tales 3D battle system is more fun than any traditional turn-based one. So a portable 3D battle tales > more fun than any rpg with a turn-based system so that only leaves Tempest and This and this looks a heck of a lot better visually.

PS. I don't know why you think I ignore the DS on purpose. There are very few rpgs that are OUT on the system (yeah I forgot Contact and I don't really count Lost Magic as an rpg) at this point so I mainly mentioned GBA rpgs of which there are a good handful. I try to play every good rpg no matter the system, DS/GBA/PSP/X360/GC/PS2, I play everything and enjoy them for the quality of the rpgs not the system they are on. Plus I think Mother3 is currently the best portable rpg ever atm :p

ethelred said:
Er, I'd say preemptively declaring this the best portable RPG ever is pretty damned out there, personally.

It does look like it could be great, but ****ing come on -- that kind of overhyping is just ridiculous.

Megaman Powered Up is the greatest portable game ever, too. :lol

Bebpo said:
I only comment on games I've played.

You just commented that this could be the greatest portable RPG ever. It's really no secret, man. You <3 the PSP and could care less if the DS even existed. It's OK though. We all have our preferences.

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:

To be fair, Megaman Powered Up IS amazing - it would not be a bad opinion at all to consider it among the greatest.

Bebpo

Banned
Chris Michael said:
You just commented that this could be the greatest portable RPG ever. It's really no secret, man. You <3 the PSP and could care less if the DS even existed. It's OK though. We all have our preferences.

Thanks for telling me my gaming preference! I must have split personalities since I own more DS games and play them more than PSP ones!

Plus I'm just saying it's a possibility that it could be the best portable rpg. People are saying Zelda TP could be the GoTY for 2006, what's the difference? I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying it could be.

Chris Michael said:

Definitely one of the best. The level editor and online puts it a little over ZX and IRH IMO.

Amir0x said:
To be fair, Megaman Powered Up IS amazing - it would not be a bad opinion at all to consider it among the greatest.

It also wouldn't be a bad opinion at all to consider the N64 better than the Dreamcast.

Neo_Dasus

Damn people, it's just a game.

Definition of "Game":

Pertaining to or composed of animals hunted or taken as game or to their flesh.

Amir0x

Banned
Neo_Dasus said:
Damn people, it's just a game.

Definition of "Game":

Pertaining to or composed of animals hunted or taken as game or to their flesh.

I hope that damn Afrika title allows me to hunt the shit out of animals

Bebpo

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Amazing.

"This opinion could most certainly be fact, but that opinion? pssssht!"

One opinion says the coin could end up heads on the next flip.

The other opinion says the coin looked sorta like tails on the previous flip when it came up heads :p

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Amazing.

"This opinion could most certainly be fact, but that opinion? pssssht!"

Oh, I didn't say either can be fact. I said to hold one such opinion, you'd just have to be under some 'influence' - you could even equate 'drugs' with a specific 'console camp'

But that's just my opinion. This is GAF, after all, home where people still think N64-level visuals aren't laughably ugly.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Monk said:
Wait, this is the best the psp can do?

not really. but let's keep in mind that it's better than the ds can do. that distinction seems to be blurring for some people.

as for yggdrasil whatever, i had in mind shots like this, where they've made no attempt to make the enemies look like they're in the backgrounds:

eo014.jpg

that's just awful. and compare gaf's reactions!

anyway.

Sweet and holy Mary, some people have their heads so redicuously far up their ass that there's no getting any sort of logical argument across. :( I give up, you guys win the internets.

Neo_Dasus

Bebpo said:
One opinion says the coin could end up heads on the next flip.

The other opinion says the coin looked sorta like tails on the previous flip when it came up heads :p

Translation:

One gaffer says that Pokemon D/P will be a huge success when it releases, the other gaffer says that the N64 completely obliterated the PS2, which it didn't.

Please take note that the previous analogy and this translation mean nothing.

EDIT: For your mother f**king viewing pleasure:

bush_special_iraq.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Sweet and holy Mary, some people have their heads so redicuously far up their ass that there's no getting any sort of logical argument across. :( I give up, you guys win the internets.

:pic of special olympics: ?

Neo_Dasus

Wow, this thread just died.

Megaman ZX vs. Rockman: Powered Up

GO

Wrong picture sorry...

For your mother f**cking viewing pleasure:

Special%20Olympics%2018%20Puffed%20UP%20and%20Proud.jpg

I know it's the wrong picture, but it just fits this thread so perfectly.

Monk

Banned
drohne said:
not really. but let's keep in mind that it's better than the ds can do. that distinction seems to be blurring for some people.

I did not pay an additional 200 AUD for a hand held just so it could get some slightly better graphics. So for the psp, these graphics are subpar.

as for yggdrasil whatever, i had in mind shots like this, where they've made no attempt to make the enemies look like they're in the backgrounds:

eo014.jpg

that's just awful. and compare gaf's reactions!

anyway.

I am confused here, generally you try and make the enemies stick out of their background so you could see them easily. So i dont see the problem here.

Though it has to be said that the games are only like $10 more than their ds counterparts, so it is fair from that perspective.

drohne

this looks very close to tales of the abyss. it doesn't disgrace the hardware by any means. it's "slightly" better than the ds if ps2 is "slightly" better than ps1. substitute dreamcast or n64 if you like -- the generational gap is the point.

yggdrasil labyrinth's sprites don't even look like they're from the same game as its backgrounds!

this thread has of course gotten horrendously silly.

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
this thread has of course gotten horrendously silly.

I concur. I never thought being highly enthusiastic/optimistic for a series that you personally enjoy was such a crime.

But hey, the N64 vs. DC and diversion was pretty entertaining :)

At this point we should just blow up the thread and be done with it.
dynamite.gif

Monk

Banned
drohne said:
yggdrasil labyrinth's sprites don't even look like they're from the same game as its backgrounds!

What do you mean exactly? So you saying games cant have 3d background and 2d sprites? As for this game i take back what i wrote about it. Its just that some of the shots make the game look bad and those were the ones i was thinking of when i wrote it.

Matix

Eh, hopefully this gets released stateside (or at least in Europe). Oh, and WTF is up with it lacking online play (would make this type of game TONS better).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If we're going to compare screens, why not go Tales DS vs Tales PSP? Sounds like the most "fair" comparison to me. :p

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
If we're going to compare screens, why not go Tales DS vs Tales PSP? Sounds like the most "fair" comparison to me. :p
Because one's an actual Tales game while the other's an outsourced, dungeon crawl spinoff? :p

I'd say the best handheld RPG is still Dragon Warrior III GBC. Hell, it's still one of the best console RPGs too. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
Because one's an actual Tales game while the other's an outsourced, dungeon crawl spinoff? :p

I'd say the best handheld RPG is still Dragon Warrior III GBC. Hell, it's still one of the best console RPGs too. :)

Well, they have pretty similar(-looking) battle systems, right? Bring out the battle screens! Although as you say, I guess it's a bit unfair to compare an actual Tales game to a mere outsourced dungeon crawler. :p

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Well, they have pretty similar(-looking) battle systems, right? Bring out the battle screens! Although as you say, I guess it's a bit unfair to compare an actual Tales game to a mere outsourced dungeon crawler. :p
Heh... truthfully if compared I'd have to say RM looks overall better than Tempest (mainly due to the higher poly models, though the DS is stencil outlining things while the PSP game looks unshaded) but in some instances they look shockingly close (inside towns especially). I'd say it's certainly not the full generational difference we should be getting given the capabilities of both hardwares... it's nothing even remotely close to the jump from Grandia to Grandia II or something.

jarrod said:
Heh... truthfully if compared I'd have to say RM looks overall better than Tempest (mainly due to the higher poly models, though the DS is stencil outlining things while the PSP game looks unshaded) but in some instances they look shockingly close (inside towns especially). I'd say it's certainly not the full generational difference we should be getting given the capabilities of both hardwares... it's nothing even remotely close to the jump from Grandia to Grandia II or something.

Characters don't even have proper faces in TotT.

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Characters don't even have proper faces in TotT.
Well, they're SD. In towns they look rather good though, it's really only in battles where the lower poly models are used.

drohne

tods041es3.jpg

scr7_9b.jpg

sorry, i know this post doesn't add much, but it's worth putting those shots next to each other. for my private amusement if nothing else.

Top Bottom