• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talking to non-gamers about Wii - their reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrow said:
you've started walking down a path to a happier gaming life.

embrace the wii people. it's the only path to happiness.

I never said it was the only path to happiness.

I just said that a non-gamer friend of mine is interested in buying the console because of the natural and simple nature of the control scheme.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Alkaliine said:
I never said it was the only path to happiness.

I just said that a non-gamer friend of mine is interested in buying the console because of the natural and simple nature of the control scheme.

Amen!

Christopher

ok I know this is a gaming centric board, but do people really talk to people like this outside of the forums? Kind of sad really...

let me "educate" you on Nintendo...oh please.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Christopher said:
ok I know this is a gaming centric board, but do people really talk to people like this outside of the forums? Kind of sad really...

let me "educate" you on Nintendo...oh please.
Nerds. And im not talking about your garden variety ones, but the ones who have 2 inch thick glasses, a bowl cut, buck teeth and wear suspenders.

qcf x2

Since this is anecdotal evidence day, I only know one person who is getting one, and that is the brother of a friend, so I don't know anyone directly who is even remotely (pardon the pun) interested in paying $250 to shake a controller with last generation graphics, and no high definition support. Especially at the risk of embarassment of being seen doing said shaking.

Jokeropia

While the story seems tailor made as Nintendo PR, it's actually quite believable. The amount of buttons DOES deter non-gamers.
Christopher said:
It's sad to talk about videogames outside of forums? :lol
qcf x2 said:
Since this is anecdotal evidence day, I only know one person who is getting one, and that is the brother of a friend, so I don't know anyone directly who is even remotely (pardon the pun) interested in paying $250 to shake a controller with last generation graphics, and no high definition support. Especially at the risk of embarassment of being seen doing said shaking.
You only know self-concious graphics whores?

Christopher

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Nerds. And im not talking about your garden variety ones, but the ones who have 2 inch thick glasses, a bowl cut, buck teeth and wear suspenders.

oh god :lol

It's sad to talk about videogames outside of forums?

Giving a lecture about videogames to one of your non-gamer friends to this degree, yup.

Scrow said:

Paganism eh?

Anyone else have any actual stories, rather than complaints about an event that actually took place that is apparently a sign to the almighty god of reggie that Nintendo will shoot omg missiles from roflcopters by selling 120 million wii systems meaning 360s are now useless and should not be chucked out?

Mr. TV Goggles said:
There are definately people that think controls are too complicated and find the Gamecube more simple to use. I don't know these people personally, though.

I don't believe you...

Noone's used a Gamecube;)

qcf x2 said:

Of yeah. Cause non-gamers only care about High Definition visuals and the best specs going around.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Hyoushi said:
roflcoptersapocalypse.gif

You just made my morning.:lol :lol

The Black Brad Pitt said:

Holy crap! You mean I can't talk about any games of any kind outside of forums?

What have I done! Suicide am confirmed.

DarienA

When I was in line waiting to reserve my PS3 I asked everyone in the line if they were getting a Wii.

Their responses ranged from laughter, to spitting, to taking a piss on the ground.

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw.

DarienA said:
When I was in line waiting to reserve my PS3 I asked everyone in the line if they were getting a Wii.

Their responses ranged from laughter, to spitting, to taking a piss on the ground.

Non-gamers are waiting in line for the PS3?

Jokeropia

Christopher said:
Giving a lecture about videogames to one of your non-gamer friends to this degree, yup.
Not if the issue comes up. Maybe if they weren't already talking about videogames to begin with and he just decided to "give a lecture" out of nowhere you'd have a point, but as it is, no.

bud

DarienA said:

tipsy?

Yoboman

One of my friends is relatively casual, he's the only one who ttalks about games. He plays alot of games, watches videos, but still isn't that knowledgable... He's very interested in Wii though, he'll probably buy one.

Monk

Banned
Christopher said:
oh god :lol

Because asking a couple of questions why they dont like one of your hobbies constitutes a lecture. :p

Jokeropia said:
Not if the issue comes up. Maybe if they weren't already talking about videogames to begin with and he just decided to "give a lecture" out of nowhere you'd have a point, but as it is, no.

Correct.

We were playing games at the time, and he claimed that he was finding the controls too confusing.

How is bringing up the Wiimote at that point of time extremely incredible stupednously ridiculously nerdy?

DarienA

Alkaliine said:
Non-gamers are waiting in line for the PS3?

Yeah a few had heard that it would be the cheapest Blu Ray player and figured it was a good way to pick up a BR player and get in to this videogaming thing.

..and just for the heck of it.. respost!

DarienA said:
Yeah a few had heard that it would be the cheapest Blu Ray player and figured it was a good way to pick up a BR player and get in to this videogaming thing.

..and just for the heck of it.. respost!

Amazing, I never would have though non-gamers would be willing to pay $600 and wait in line for a disk format, colour me surprised.

qcf x2

Jokeropia said:
You only know self-concious graphics whores?

No, but mostly typical consumers, who don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something unless it is top of the line. And yes, most are self-conscious. Just like the rest of the free world.

Yoboman

Alkaliine said:
Amazing, I never would have though non-gamers would be willing to pay $600 and wait in line for a disk format, colour me surprised.
When the alternate Blu Ray players cost a grand, why not?

Lapsed

Banned
:lol at the "LOL this is marketing!" Why would someone want to market on NeoGAF? There are no non-gamers at Neo-GAF!

But the OP is correct. There is interest of non-gamers I know to 'try it out'. But all the interest I see comes from my lapsed gamer friends (and where the lapsed gamers go, the non-gamers follow soon afterward).

Their eyes light up when I mention the Virtual Console. The idea of playing NES, SNES, N64 games gets their interest. And add in the PC-Engine and Megadrive, they are already ecstatic. Most of those gamers generally missed out on several of those consoles and would love to play them.

The backwards compatibility with the Gamecube also gets good reactions from them. They see the Wii as 'two consoles in one' since none of them bought a gamecube. Based on this, alone, they would eagerly get the Wii.

The Wii-mote interests them but, like us, they puzzle trying to imagine new games made with it. Those I know who had bought a DS, used to the touch screen, look forward to the 'new' type of games that will be made.

The price gets good feedback from them. Even the VC and controller prices (they shrug and say, "That's not bad"). The lack of HD is of no concern with them since none of them have HD TVs (nor plan to).

It is not always Gamer vs Non-gamer. There are many of us, like myself, who have been stuck in the middle as 'lapsed' gamers. We all think gaming went downhill with the 32/64 bit generation. Wikipedia calls us the 'old school' gamers. The DS interested me when I only owned the original 'brick' Gameboy. And the Wii interests us while we couldn't give a damn about any of the last generation consoles (or of the PS3 and Xbox 360 which is continuing that old archaic direction).

Controllers became retarded at the 32/64 bit generation. I took one look at the N64 controller and Dual Shock and said "**** that!" When controllers began to get handles, they began to become unweildly bloated pieces of plastic.

One other thing: most of these lapsed gamers wanted to play games with non-gamers. This included their girlfriends, their parents, wives, and so on. They told me their non-gaming spouses and family looked forward to playing the Wii whereas you could never get them to play Xbox 360 or Gamecube.

Whatever the Wii is, it is not scaring non-gamers like previous consoles do.

Baker

Banned
Alkaliine said:

Well it is called Bluray. My god I am funny.

callous

Alkaliine said:
:lol

He's a non-gamer. He doesn't own a DS, though he is interesting in purchasing a gaming system. It's just that current controls are too complicated for him.
Are you and your friend pensioners? I mean, come on. Any normal, young man of medium intelligence should not have a problem using a standard joypad if he honestly wants to.

Lapsed said:
:lol at the "LOL this is marketing!" Why would someone want to market on NeoGAF? There are no non-gamers at Neo-GAF!

But the OP is correct. There is interest of non-gamers I know to 'try it out'. But all the interest I see comes from my lapsed gamer friends (and where the lapsed gamers go, the non-gamers follow soon afterward).

Their eyes light up when I mention the Virtual Console. The idea of playing NES, SNES, N64 games gets their interest. And add in the PC-Engine and Megadrive, they are already ecstatic. Most of those gamers generally missed out on several of those consoles and would love to play them.

The backwards compatibility with the Gamecube also gets good reactions from them. They see the Wii as 'two consoles in one' since none of them bought a gamecube. Based on this, alone, they would eagerly get the Wii.

The Wii-mote interests them but, like us, they puzzle trying to imagine new games made with it. Those I know who had bought a DS, used to the touch screen, look forward to the 'new' type of games that will be made.

The price gets good feedback from them. Even the VC and controller prices (they shrug and say, "That's not bad"). The lack of HD is of no concern with them since none of them have HD TVs (nor plan to).

It is not always Gamer vs Non-gamer. There are many of us, like myself, who have been stuck in the middle as 'lapsed' gamers. We all think gaming went downhill with the 32/64 bit generation. Wikipedia calls us the 'old school' gamers. The DS interested me when I only owned the original 'brick' Gameboy. And the Wii interests us while we couldn't give a damn about any of the last generation consoles (or of the PS3 and Xbox 360 which is continuing that old archaic direction).

Controllers became retarded at the 32/64 bit generation. I took one look at the N64 controller and Dual Shock and said "**** that!" When controllers began to get handles, they began to become unweildly bloated pieces of plastic.

One other thing: most of these lapsed gamers wanted to play games with non-gamers. This included their girlfriends, their parents, wives, and so on. They told me their non-gaming spouses and family looked forward to playing the Wii whereas you could never get them to play Xbox 360 or Gamecube.

Whatever the Wii is, it is not scaring non-gamers like previous consoles do.

Quality post.

Luckett_X

Banned
Did you know you can have games on control pads that only use some of the buttons, and not all of them?

Its a major innovation some companies introduced to simpler arcade games, intended solely not to confuse the mentally retarded. They conducted experiments on "gamers" and "non-gamers" and then seperated up the 2 camps further by pushing them into "standard attention span" and "attention span of a vomiting monkey on crack". They discovered that also, games come with manuals with annotations on to quickly explain all the controls in the game. This was the equivalent of discovering a new dimension, the dimension of knowledge! This revolutionised the world back in the day, but some people killed themselves out of insanity of not being able to understand why there were so many words on a page.

callous said:
Are you and your friend pensioners? I mean, come on. Any normal, young man of medium intelligence should not have a problem using a standard joypad if he honestly wants to.

I'm serious mate. Many non-gamers really are pathetic with current controllers. What seems simple to you, tends to not be simple at all to them.

Well, to be honest the only game I've ever got my non-gamer friends to play is Guitar Hero and because of that shared accessibility with the wiimote, I can see the plausibility of your story. Although I'd probably wait 'till I had the system myself to show them in person -- if the opportunity to do so ever occured.

Alkaliine said:
I though it would be great to read about discussions gamers have had with non-gamers about Wii, and how they feel about the new controls.

Here's my little anecdote.

The other day a non-gamer friend and I decided to play some Xbox and GC games. Immediately I noticed he was struggling. He wasn't overly bad, but it seems like it was all to much for him sometimes.

I noticed this, and asked him "How do you feel about controls these days?" He quickly replied with "It's just too complex. There's too many buttons - it's too hard to take in all at once".

I quickly asked him how he felt about swinging the controller like a tennis racquet in a tennis game. He said "that would be easier, because it's more like what you do in real life, rather than pressing buttons", as well as claiming it "would be more fun".

Naturally I went on to explain Wii and the controller. I could definitely see how happy he was with the controls. "I recently wanted to buy an Xbox, but the controllers are just too much for me. This Wii thing sounds a lot easier to play." He asked me when it would come out and at what price, and quickly stated that he was going to buy one.

This is a true story folks, and it definitely proved to me that Nintendo are heading in a unique, but effective direction. By making things easier and more natural, people who refuse to play games can now be enticed to start playing.

What are your stories?

I have a friend who lost both his hands in a tragic visit to the city zoo. He was always a "non-gamer", but without his hands he's even more of a "non-gamer" than most. He came over to my house a couple days ago, and we played Halo. Well, actually I played and he just told me where to go and when to shoot, but it felt like co-op. After a couple hours he seemed a little bored, and said "I wish I had my hands so I could play videogames..." I looked at him and said "well, what if you could control videogames with your arms?" He was confused, so I explained the Wii remote to him. I told him how he could control many of the games by duct taping the controller onto his arm and swinging it around.

After I showed him how Wii Tennis works (we visted the Nintendo Wii's official webpage, Wii.com), and within seconds he was happier than I had seen him. Thanks to Nintendo, everyone can play games.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kazenone said:
:lol, just :lol
ugh, just ugh
annoying, just annoying
nothing to say, just nothing to say
wow just wow

IF YOU MEAN JUST :lol JUST SAY :lol NO NEED TO REITERATE THAT YOU MEAN JUST THAT

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PhoenixDark said:
I have a friend who lost both his hands in a tragic visit to the city zoo. He was always a "non-gamer", but without his hands he's even more of a "non-gamer" than most. He came over to my house a couple days ago, and we played Halo. Well, actually I played and he just told me where to go and when to shoot, but it felt like co-op. After a couple hours he seemed a little bored, and said "I wish I had my hands so I could play videogames..." I looked at him and said "well, what if you could control videogames with your arms?" He was confused, so I explained the Wii remote to him. I told him how he could control many of the games by duct taping the controller onto his arm and swinging it around.

After I showed him how Wii Tennis works (we visted the Nintendo Wii's official webpage, Wii.com), and within seconds he was happier than I had seen him. Thanks to Nintendo, everyone can play games.

I honestly can't tell if this is real or not...but how is he going to be able to press any buttons?

Baker

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I told him how he could control many of the games by duct taping the controller onto his arm and swinging it around.

This cannot be serious. I have no tact whatsoever, but even I wouldn't tell some armless dude to ****ing duct tape a controller to his stump.

perplexcity said:
This cannot be serious. I have no tact whatsoever, but even I wouldn't tell some armless dude to ****ing duct tape a controller to his stump.

He's handless, not armless. But I too cannot tell if it's real or not, seems like a parody to me.

Luckett_X

Banned
serious question though to the original poster with a major hard-on for all things wii:

what games were you playing, how did you approach introducing the person to playing the game, and did you tell him that all games were not completely identical to the one he was playing then, and perhaps did not need to look into a completely different control mechanism for an as of yet unreleased console?

PhoenixDark said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I certainly believe the original poster and, really, there's no reason NOT to believe him.

What he's saying is that the Wii is offering a simplified gaming experience for the masses. As someone who enjoys the more complex titles that are being released on other machines, however, do you really think that's a GOOD thing? Nintendo is attempting to take the market in a direction intended to appeal to those who do not enjoy gaming at this time. I don't fit that crowd and, therefore, believe that Nintendo Wii simply won't appeal to me. I could certainly have some fun with it, no doubt, and it will be great for hanging out with less gaming savy people who want to try something a bit different...but for actual sit down, serious gaming, the Wii clearly doesn't fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom