• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talking to non-gamers about Wii - their reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

castle007

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I have a friend who lost both his hands in a tragic visit to the city zoo. He was always a "non-gamer", but without his hands he's even more of a "non-gamer" than most. He came over to my house a couple days ago, and we played Halo. Well, actually I played and he just told me where to go and when to shoot, but it felt like co-op. After a couple hours he seemed a little bored, and said "I wish I had my hands so I could play videogames..." I looked at him and said "well, what if you could control videogames with your arms?" He was confused, so I explained the Wii remote to him. I told him how he could control many of the games by duct taping the controller onto his arm and swinging it around.

After I showed him how Wii Tennis works (we visted the Nintendo Wii's official webpage, Wii.com), and within seconds he was happier than I had seen him. Thanks to Nintendo, everyone can play games.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

and

:lol at people believing PhoenixDark

quetz67

Banned
My wife (who doesnt care much about videogames, but loved Pikmin), when she found the Wii Website (some weeks ago):

Her: Do I have to behave that stupidly?

Me: Thats the point of the Wii!

Her: Oh! ... Hey, look at that old man *laughing*

Me: Older people and women are the new target audience of the Wii

Her: Oh! ... What is a nunchuck controller?

I demonstrate her how fishing works in Zelda with the Wiimote and the Nunchuck

Her (shocked): They dont mean that seriously ?!?

Me: ...

Luckett_X said:
serious question though to the original poster with a major hard-on for all things wii:

what games were you playing, how did you approach introducing the person to playing the game, and did you tell him that all games were not completely identical to the one he was playing then, and perhaps did not need to look into a completely different control mechanism for an as of yet unreleased console?

1. Halo 2, FIFA 06, Timesplitters 2 and Resident Evil 4. Was going to show him Ninja Gaiden Black but decided not to.

2. I handed him the controller, let him know which buttons did which, and then let him play for a good old while. It's not the first time he has played games though, he just does it very rarely.

3. Yeah, but he thinks most games he has played are just too complex in terms of the controls and remembering what does what. He said that Wii seems like the right choice for him, as he wanted to play more games, but felt restricited due to current controllers.

dark10x said:
I certainly believe the original poster and, really, there's no reason NOT to believe him.

What he's saying is that the Wii is offering a simplified gaming experience for the masses. As someone who enjoys the more complex titles that are being released on other machines, however, do you really think that's a GOOD thing? Nintendo is attempting to take the market in a direction intended to appeal to those who do not enjoy gaming at this time. I don't fit that crowd and, therefore, believe that Nintendo Wii simply won't appeal to me. I could certainly have some fun with it, no doubt, and it will be great for hanging out with less gaming savy people who want to try something a bit different...but for actual sit down, serious gaming, the Wii clearly doesn't fit the bill.

Because Nintendo making the DS follow the same strategy suddenly means we don't RPGs or SRPGs or Adventure games, or whatever it is you think constitutes 'serious' gaming.

Oh, wait, no.

Come on now. They're launching with a LoZ game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm not sure what's funnier, Phoenix's post or the confusion as to whether it's a true story or not.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

dark10x said:
I certainly believe the original poster and, really, there's no reason NOT to believe him.

What he's saying is that the Wii is offering a simplified gaming experience for the masses. As someone who enjoys the more complex titles that are being released on other machines, however, do you really think that's a GOOD thing? Nintendo is attempting to take the market in a direction intended to appeal to those who do not enjoy gaming at this time. I don't fit that crowd and, therefore, believe that Nintendo Wii simply won't appeal to me. I could certainly have some fun with it, no doubt, and it will be great for hanging out with less gaming savy people who want to try something a bit different...but for actual sit down, serious gaming, the Wii clearly doesn't fit the bill.

I see what you mean.

Wii probably won't satisfy you in terms of hardcore games. Sure, it has Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Red Steel, etc, but that still probably won't be enough if you demand lengthy and epic games by the bucketloads (like PS3 and 360 will offer). That's not to say it's lineup is just a pile of non-games and mini-games though.

KingGondo

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I have a friend who lost both his hands in a tragic visit to the city zoo. He was always a "non-gamer", but without his hands he's even more of a "non-gamer" than most. He came over to my house a couple days ago, and we played Halo. Well, actually I played and he just told me where to go and when to shoot, but it felt like co-op. After a couple hours he seemed a little bored, and said "I wish I had my hands so I could play videogames..." I looked at him and said "well, what if you could control videogames with your arms?" He was confused, so I explained the Wii remote to him. I told him how he could control many of the games by duct taping the controller onto his arm and swinging it around.

After I showed him how Wii Tennis works (we visted the Nintendo Wii's official webpage, Wii.com), and within seconds he was happier than I had seen him. Thanks to Nintendo, everyone can play games.

Thread over! This can't possibly be topped. :lol

Luckett_X

Banned
Oh good, so mostly hardcore action games and sports sims as opposed to say games like Katamari Damacy, Super Monkey Ball, Rez and many other simpler games.

Also if he can't remember what the buttons do in Halo 2, he probably has a form of mental disability with lots of things and a very poor memory. Also considering Resident Evil 4 has on screen button prompts, really. wow.

NotWii

Banned
Hyoushi said:
roflcoptersapocalypse.gif
OMG THAT IS AWESOME!
I LOOOVE APOCALYPSE NOW!

Luckett_X said:
Oh good, so mostly hardcore action games and sports sims as opposed to say games like Katamari Damacy, Super Monkey Ball, Rez and many other simpler games.

Also if he can't remember what the buttons do in Halo 2, he probably has a form of mental disability with lots of things and a very poor memory. Also considering Resident Evil 4 has on screen button prompts, really. wow.

As I said, I noticed he was struggling. He wasn't overly bad, but it seems like it was all to much for him sometimes.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Alkaliine said:
As I said, I noticed he was struggling. He wasn't overly bad, but it seems like it was all to much for him sometimes.

Did you take him gently by the hand when you noticed he was struggling?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alkaliine said:
I see what you mean.

Wii probably won't satisfy you in terms of hardcore games. Sure, it has Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Red Steel, etc, but that still probably won't be enough if you demand lengthy and epic games by the bucketloads (like PS3 and 360 will offer). That's not to say it's lineup is just a pile of non-games and mini-games though.
Those would be enough to satisfy me just as the Gamecube did. The Wii will never be a primary platform for me, so a few really good games a year would be plenty. Those are the typical Nintendo offerings, though, but that's fine.

I believe the Wii will make a great secondary machine, but as a primary machine, it won't fit the bill for most gamers.

Most of the people i talk to about Wii say they are taking a wait and see approach on what the controller will be like and what type of support from devs it will get.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
PhoenixDark said:

:lol :lol :lol

Holy Shit, This made me laugh hard and cry :lol (and i am at job, still i couldnt control the laugh) :lol

[/thread]

Ash Sparrow said:
Most of the people i talk to about Wii say they are taking a wait and see approach on what the controller will be like and what type of support from devs it will get.

Are they concerned about the price though? I doubt many non gamers are willing to spend $250 on this

Mr. Spinnington said:
omfg thread of the day~!
:lol

Everyone should go tell a non gamer about the Wii. The older the person, the better. Then we could put the data together in a professional manner, make a big thread about it, and see if the gaming media cites it:lol

That would be utterly hilarious

Son of Godzilla said:
I've had exactly one conversation about the wii. It went as follows:

"Hey, they renamed the Revolution Wii"
"What?"
"They renamed the Revolution Wii"
"That's retarded"
I overheard two guys browsing at a Circuit City talking about how the "Nintendo Revolution is gonna own." I don't think either of them realized it had been renamed.

Billy Rygar said:
My wife told me I'll look like a ****ing idiot. She already think its funny enough I have an arcade controller.

Tell her you looked enough like one when you deigned to stand beside her on the altar. ON SNAP.

Please don't kill me.

DarienA said:
When I was in line waiting to reserve my PS3 I asked everyone in the line if they were getting a Wii.

Their responses ranged from laughter, to spitting, to taking a piss on the ground.

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw.

Rich people are superior perhaps?

Chittagong

Gold Member
For some reason this reminded me of a time when I was shooting a testimonials reel at EA. The executive wanted to talk about converting non-gamers to gamers. He just couldn't pull it of. Every time he got it the wrong way:

"Turning gamers into non-gamers is a very real opportunity to EA."

Chittagong said:
For some reason this reminded me of a time when I was shooting a testimonials reel at EA. The executive wanted to talk about converting non-gamers to gamers. He just couldn't pull it of. Every time he got it the wrong way:

"Turning gamers into non-gamers is a very real opportunity to EA."

Couldn't he just say. "We're interested in converting nongamers into gamers" or something?

Tieno

I showed my mom and dad a wii game and how people do the waggle waggle. They say "wow, that looks nice". Then I showed them a trailer of Afrika, they say "wow, that looks really pretty" and reminisced about how games have come a long way since I got my NES with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Then they went on with their lives.

kizmah

Tell me one thing, is there any way you can post anything on GAF without starting a fanboy war? Is it even possible? I mean wtf, every thread turns into a big fuc**** joke.

Zapages

Before you read... I don't own a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. I just own a PC and that's what I use for my gaming and I am don't like FPSes at all. Plus I don't really play PC RPGs that much. I enjoy Action/Adventure, Sports, Action RPGs(like Ys), and Racing.

I had similar experience with my friend who only plays sports, loves FIFA, EA, and Sony to death. I showed him the Wii Trailer and he said that he will be buying that instead of the PS3, because its cheaper and will get Xbox 360 as well. Also my other friend (a girl) who just recently bought a NDS, wanted to return it and wanted to buy the Wii, because it seemed a lot of fun especially with sports games. We were thinking having an ankle strap for soccer games and such. :lol

hamzik said:
Tell me one thing, is there any way you can post anything on GAF without starting a fanboy war? Is it even possible? I mean wtf, every thread turns into a big fuc**** joke.

The only thing GAF agrees on is that Crash rocked, and deserved the oscar

Kiddo

come on: either the original poster is a really naive young guy trying to impress with this "awesome" story or he's a REEEALLLY bad viral marketing guy, playing the nice naive guy. i mean, how much more by the nintendo-wii-pr-book can you really go? what's next? "the long loading times of modern consoles really stop me from playing, so it's nice that the wii is always on. i can just come home have 10 minutes of fun and that's it."

i don't believe his story for a second and i AM getting a wii btw!!

StRaNgE

Banned
Alkaliine said:
I though it would be great to read about discussions gamers have had with non-gamers about Wii, and how they feel about the new controls.

Here's my little anecdote.

The other day a non-gamer friend and I decided to play some Xbox and GC games. Immediately I noticed he was struggling. He wasn't overly bad, but it seems like it was all to much for him sometimes.

I noticed this, and asked him "How do you feel about controls these days?" He quickly replied with "It's just too complex. There's too many buttons - it's too hard to take in all at once".

I quickly asked him how he felt about swinging the controller like a tennis racquet in a tennis game. He said "that would be easier, because it's more like what you do in real life, rather than pressing buttons", as well as claiming it "would be more fun".

Naturally I went on to explain Wii and the controller. I could definitely see how happy he was with the controls. "I recently wanted to buy an Xbox, but the controllers are just too much for me. This Wii thing sounds a lot easier to play." He asked me when it would come out and at what price, and quickly stated that he was going to buy one.

This is a true story folks, and it definitely proved to me that Nintendo are heading in a unique, but effective direction. By making things easier and more natural, people who refuse to play games can now be enticed to start playing.

What are your stories?

you are right 100%.

i know lots of people who don't own a console and some who only own one with a couple games. when everyone comes to my house they hate playing games cuz they don't know what all the buttons do. they complain it's to much to memorize in to short a time. so we end up playing easy games where they have few buttons (driving games) or classics like pac man vs. i only have one friend who is comfy enough to pick up any game i throw at him when over. all the rest either don't wanna play or complain about buttons and talk anout atari and nes with one or two buttons.

i can never get them to play something like halo with me cuz they end up with zero kills and me stomping them which is no fun to them.

however i have talked to them about the Wii and they all sound like they can't wait for me to get mine so they can come over and play. who knows maybe some will like it enough to get one of thier own.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
PhoenixDark said:
The only thing GAF agrees on is that Crash rocked, and deserved the oscar
Well that just added a few more pages.

i thought crash was boring

hamzik said:
I like cheese. Well, most cheeses. Cheddar is good. So is Jack. On the other hand I can't stand Wensleydale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom