• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tappingo (3DS eShop) |OT| A different take on Picross... only $2.99!

rjc571

Banned
Though any puzzle that uses the color purple was rather annoying because it was hard to tell the difference between empty spaces & purple squares.

Oh yeah, that was a really bad oversight on the developer's part. I think there's only been two puzzles so far where it was a problem, though.

Played through a bunch of these puzzles earlier this evening and am really enjoying it. The concept is very engaging and being able to complete each one quickly makes it great for pick up and play.

I agree with the need for labeling the completed pictures though. Most are easy enough to identify but there were a few where I didn't really know what I was looking at.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, that was a really bad oversight on the developer's part. I think there's only been two puzzles so far where it was a problem, though.
Yeah, I only saw it once with the grapes, but was was such a pain trying to tell the difference. Hopefully, there's not many other purple-themed puzzles again.

& seems kind of redundant to have a button to quit the puzzle & quit "the game" when it just takes you back an extra screen that barely takes a second to access considering how fast the game loads. Heck, I thought it was options or something, considering the "quit the game" button looks like a gear, which my tends to think means the options menu.

Edit: Oh wow, just did puzzles 55 & 56, now the pictures are much bigger, meaning the squares on the bottom screen are a lot smaller. Now I kind of wish there was a zoom in feature....I'm starting to notice a lot of small features that would really benefit this game, should a sequel ever get made.

rjc571

Banned
Edit: Oh wow, just did puzzles 55 & 56, now the pictures are much bigger, meaning the squares on the bottom screen are a lot smaller. Now I kind of wish there was a zoom in feature....I'm starting to notice a lot of small features that would really benefit this game, should a sequel ever get made.

Yep, looks like the puzzles become 24x24 starting with level 55. Say a prayer for us non-XL 3DS owners :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Totally going to buy this, it looks interesting. I've also yet to buy Picross e3, but that one can wait (also it wouldn't be smart too, because I haven't finished all the puzzles in e and e2).

Purchased it after reading everyone's comments and the overall mechanics are indeed rewarding and addictive.

Having finished Picross DS, 3D, E1+2+3 I'm always game for a new visual logic puzzle and this is the best I've played since the titles above.

All that said I think its important to temper some of the unabashed enthusiasm in the thread so far. The mechanics are superb but the production value and overall design of the game is pretty poor. Everything from the menu design to the aural feedback when "clicking" on a block is either rudimentary at best and non-existant at worst. The Picross series also suffers from some overally simplistic interface design but everything here borders on serviceable at best. I know the title is $3 and was developed by one person but once you've mastered the conceit of the rule set you really only have the interface to focus on as a developer.

Make no mistake, it's a fantastic puzzler and anyone into logic puzzles will get their money's worth but be warned the palette choices and overall sound and visual design is utilitarian at best. As mentioned in another post, the shapes you're crafting don't even get labelled leaving their identity a mystery in more than a few cases and there are grammatical and context errors throughout what text there is. Here's hoping the developer gets a chance to put a fresh coat of paint on a sequel.

Drago

Ah shiet, didn't know this was out already. I'll have to remember to buy this soon, it looks fantastic.

(I still need to finish Picross e2 and get e3... not that I'm complaining. Love love love Picross)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All that said I think its important to temper some of the unabashed enthusiasm in the thread so far. The mechanics are superb but the production value and overall design of the game is pretty poor. Everything from the menu design to the aural feedback when "clicking" on a block is either rudimentary at best and non-existant at worst. The Picross series also suffers from some overally simplistic interface design but everything here borders on serviceable at best. I know the title is $3 and was developed by one person but once you've mastered the conceit of the rule set you really only have the interface to focus on as a developer.

Make no mistake, it's a fantastic puzzler and anyone into logic puzzles will get their money's worth but be warned the palette choices and overall sound and visual design is utilitarian at best. As mentioned in another post, the shapes you're crafting don't even get labelled leaving their identity a mystery in more than a few cases and there are grammatical and context errors throughout what text there is. Here's hoping the developer gets a chance to put a fresh coat of paint on a sequel.
Agreed. This is a great game, but there's so many small things that start to add up presentation/interface wise that hold it back. I really hope the developer gets feedback & is able to do a sequel. There's a lot of potential here, but it would seriously help to focus on the actual presentation.

Will buy as soon as it shows up on the Australian Eshop. I've been getting the withdrawal jitters bad since ploughing through the Picross Es a few weeks ago. Didn't Picross E4 come out in Japan a while ago? How long could it possibly take to localise a game like that?

Dryk

Didn't Picross E4 come out in Japan a while ago? How long could it possibly take to localise a game like that?
It tends to take a while, I need my fix man :(

I know I should stop buying the es because they're so content-bare compared to Picross DS but I just need more

KarmaCow

Can you not select puzzles with the buttons? Seems odd that you can play each puzzle without the touch screen but need to use outside of that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can you not select puzzles with the buttons? Seems odd that you can play each puzzle without the touch screen but need to use outside of that.
Thought that was weird as well, though I'm still glad for button controls, as I don't like using the touch screen now since the puzzles are bigger.

breakfuss

Lol, did you guys just sell me on a game that up until a few minutes ago I had never heard of? Can't go wrong for $3.

dose

Shouldn't the numbers on the blocks actually denote the full number of blocks the line takes up? Feels odd having a block labelled '1' have to be 2 blocks in length.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's how many spaces the block can expand. For example, a "1" block can only fill up 1 space that's next to it, "2" can expand out twice, etc.

dose

It's how many spaces the block can expand. For example, a "1" block can only fill up 1 space that's next to it, "2" can expand out twice, etc.
Sure, I understand that, but that - for me - seems an odd way of showing it. The default block looks identical to the blocks that spawn off it, so when you're quickly scanning a half-filled level it makes more sense for me to see the have the number show the number of blocks actually in the line.

zroid

Banned
Sure, I understand that, but that - for me - seems an odd way of showing it. The default block looks identical to the blocks that spawn off it, so when you're quickly scanning a half-filled level it makes more sense for me to see the have the number show the number of blocks actually in the line.

When I first saw the game a few months ago, I had the same feeling. Having put some time into it though, I feel it's better this way. If they had taken the other approach, there wouldn't even be "1"s on the grid. Or for consistency the game would have to put a "1" on the blocks which don't extend at all, which would've just caused confusion and clutter.

n64coder

While I still wish for a redo/rewind button & (a very minor nitpick) the name of the object that I just finished making, it's still highly recommended, especially for the price.

I picked it up and it's very enjoyable. I can see how not having a redo/rewind button makes it more difficult. If you had that option, I think it would be too easy.

rjc571

Banned
I picked it up and it's very enjoyable. I can see how not having a redo/rewind button makes it more difficult. If you had that option, I think it would be too easy.

It just makes it annoying. I was playing a puzzle this morning where I accidentally tapped the wrong block, and set off a huge chain reaction that forced me to redo a large section of the puzzle.

dose

When I first saw the game a few months ago, I had the same feeling. Having put some time into it though, I feel it's better this way.
Fair enough, I've not played it yet, but just looking at the screens that screams out to me. And this
Or for consistency the game would have to put a "1" on the blocks which don't extend at all, which would've just caused confusion and clutter.
wouldn't cause confusion imo, it would be more clear. I was a big fan of the drawing game in Pic Pic which is similar in gameplay and that showed squares with the correct numbers for the ones you joined up, like this...
3fHAkWe.jpg

I saw picross and came into this thread as fast as I could!
Guess I'll check out this one and leave donkey Kong on the back burner for now.

zroid

Banned
Have done several of the larger puzzles (24x24) now. They're great but I have to agree with the others, a "zoom" function would've been reeeeeeeeeaaallly useful. I'm using an XL, thank goodness, and it's hard enough as it is. On a 2DS or OG I can't even imagine...

Anyway, not to sound too negative, because this game is very good. A must-try for logic puzzle/picross fans considering its price.

n64coder

wouldn't cause confusion imo, it would be more clear. I was a big fan of the drawing game in Pic Pic which is similar in gameplay and that showed squares with the correct numbers for the ones you joined up, like this...
3fHAkWe.jpg

Is this the Nintendo DS game?

Hoho, this is a nice puzzle game :) Used to be that I'd take my phone with me to the bathroom for some casual reading while I'm sitting down, but the puzzles are light enough so that I can try one or two while I'm there.

maxcriden

Nintendo Life review:

Tappingo can be likened to a puzzle book. Its scheme has charm, and although the challenge doesn’t grow a great deal once the methods are mastered, the simple act of working through each puzzle can still be fun in itself. While a few extra puzzle elements could have been employed, as well as a bit of customization with music and some multiplayer options, Tappingo’s price tag makes it easy to recommend to anyone who thinks they’d enjoy its brand of pixel puzzling. 7/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/tappingo

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think Nintendo Life is spot on with that review, though I don't know how multiplayer would work.

Already finished with this unfortunately. I really enjoyed doing these puzzles. I'd definitely play another Tappingo--especially if the difficulty level could be bumped up a bit. I guess it's time for me to finally try a Picross after liking this so much.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
78 puzzles in & they've definitely started to take more time. I average about 4-6ish minutes now filling them out because of how big they've gotten. I wouldn't say they're difficult, just more on the time consuming side, though I still think they're the right level of difficulty since I might have to redo some squares, but never comes off as frustrating (maybe slight annoyance, but that's it). While I do think the game could benefit from being a bit harder (as mentioned above), it's pretty much the right amount of hard, especially when I just wanna pick it up & play a puzzle between college homework.

Also the fact that every single puzzle is available from the start is a mixed bag. On the one hand, some people probably like this since they don't feel as though they have to stick with doing the easier stuff. But on the other hand, kind of feels as though the game is just like "here, it's everything I have" and you can just skip right to the final puzzle. Maybe it could have benefited from "clear # puzzle, unlock the next set of puzzles" or something? The only real driving force is "Huh, wonder what the next picture will be. Maybe it'll be another Nintendo controller!"

I really do hope a sequel comes out of this, because there's a lot of potential here to build on top of this & make it better (especially presentation wise as mentioned earlier on this page).

rjc571

Banned
78 puzzles in & they've definitely started to take more time. I average about 4-6ish minutes now filling them out because of how big they've gotten. I wouldn't say they're difficult, just more on the time consuming side, though I still think they're the right level of difficulty since I might have to redo some squares, but never comes off as frustrating (maybe slight annoyance, but that's it). While I do think the game could benefit from being a bit harder (as mentioned above), it's pretty much the right amount of hard, especially when I just wanna pick it up & play a puzzle between college homework.

Also the fact that every single puzzle is available from the start is a mixed bag. On the one hand, some people probably like this since they don't feel as though they have to stick with doing the easier stuff. But on the other hand, kind of feels as though the game is just like "here, it's everything I have" and you can just skip right to the final puzzle. Maybe it could have benefited from "clear # puzzle, unlock the next set of puzzles" or something? The only real driving force is "Huh, wonder what the next picture will be. Maybe it'll be another Nintendo controller!"

I really do hope a sequel comes out of this, because there's a lot of potential here to build on top of this & make it better (especially presentation wise as mentioned earlier on this page).

4-6 minutes on the larger puzzles is pretty fast. I've completed up to puzzle 88, and most of them have been taking me 6-8 minutes, with a few of them going over 10. I try to be extremely careful in making sure that I don't extend any blocks in a potentially wrong direction, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, think I underestimated. Seems it's more 5-7 minutes looking at my times. It's just slower for me since I use the d-pad/buttons which makes it slower to get around the board compared to the touchscreen controls.

rjc571

Banned
I added up my times for puzzles 55-88 since I'm bored, and the average time is slightly less than 6 and a half minutes. Too bad the game doesn't have online leaderboards to post your times. Or display your total time somewhere. Or have any options or features whatsoever.

Fewr

Another thing I noticed: Just like in picross, as long as all the numbered squares make sense you complete the puzzle. The game doesn't care if the final drawing is different from that which you're supposed to do.

mstevens

My girlfriend is not a gamer but she is slowly starting to like things like Rayman Legends and Picross, so I just downloaded this one for her. Looks fun!

Unison

This is good but there are puzzles that have multiple solutions possible, and the game only recognizes a "correct" one. By that I mean it's possible to have every numbered block read "OK" and still not have the level complete because the drawing is incorrect. To me, this is a major flaw that games like Pic Pic avoided.

rjc571

Banned
This is good but there are puzzles that have multiple solutions possible, and the game only recognizes a "correct" one. By that I mean it's possible to have every numbered block read "OK" and still not have the level complete because the drawing is incorrect. To me, this is a major flaw that games like Pic Pic avoided.

Which levels did this happen on?

zroid

Banned

Are you sure? I could swear I've gotten the "wrong" solution at least once or twice before and the game accepted it anyway. Maybe it's a bug with certain levels... I dunno.

Doorman

Having literally never hearing of this game before, I happened to pop into this OP. As soon as I read the little primer on the game's mechanics, I immediately grabbed my 3DS and bought this. I love Picross and this is a nifty spin on the formula. I've only done the first 8 puzzles to dip my toe into it, but this is definitely something I can see myself just popping in to do a few puzzles every once in a while and enjoying my time.

Thanks GAF, you've helped me to support a worthwhile project!

rjc571

Banned
Just finished beating all of the levels. Not that I expected anything different, but when you finish the last level.... literally nothing happens. No flourish, no congratulatory message, nothing - it just sends you back to the menu as always. Still, it's hard to complain when I got 8 hours of solid entertainment for only $3.

The mouse cursor one would be an early example.

You're missing something. The mouse cursor only has one solution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Out in Europe yet?

As well as picross, I like the type where you have to join two blocks with a line of a specific length. You can make the line change direction though. Slither link, something like that?

Out in Europe yet?

As well as picross, I like the type where you have to join two blocks with a line of a specific length. You can make the line change direction though. Slither link, something like that?

Nah, not Slitherlink, that's something else. I've heard it called "Link-a-pix" and various other things, I'm not even sure what its "official" title is, if it even has one.

As for Tappingo, this is a fairly bad game really. There's just no difficulty at all. I solved the first couple of puzzles and then skipped straight to the last one and solved that as well with absolutely no struggle, I didn't even need to stop and think because everything was so obvious. It's basically as difficult as colouring in a picture in a colouring book, or painting-by-numbers. It's not a puzzle.

I can see why some people might enjoy that, because it's kinda relaxing just working through them and colouring them in, but as I say there is just no challenge at all and anyone buying this expecting a puzzle game is going to be massively disappointed when they find that there aren't really any puzzles that require solving.

Add to that the shoddy presentation and terrible "quirks" like having multiple solutions for puzzles and it becomes irritating. Even this instance...

[ ][1]
[1][ ]

... when it's separated from the rest of the puzzle is annoying to me. Both solutions appear to work but a puzzle game should never give the player a situation like this.

So yeah, some people will get something from this but if you want a puzzle game, I'd stay WELL away from it.

Top Bottom