• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

Fireblend

Banned
Are you guys sure you're not confusing the trial of Skillfulness (you have to jump across the first gap) with some other trial?

GhaleonEB

Do you have to do the trials all in one go? I've been clearing 3-4 of them, dying, restarting and doing a different mix. Then getting to that one with the vertical bit and getting stuck.

Not really digging the Trials. Disappointing content for getting all 42 artifacts; the rest of the game is designed much better.

dLMN8R

Do you have to do the trials all in one go? I've been clearing 3-4 of them, dying, restarting and doing a different mix. Then getting to that one with the vertical bit and getting stuck.

Not really digging the Trials. Disappointing content for getting all 42 artifacts; the rest of the game is designed much better.

Yep, it randomly decides the order you do them in but you do need to complete all of them in one life.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there any way to run the PC version in Borderless mode?

Love the game but the lack of options on the PC is a bit of a bummer

jariw

Is
Trial of Buttons
just a dead end? Otherwise, any hints on how it is solved?

Yep, it randomly decides the order you do them in but you do need to complete all of them in one life.

There's also an ability that refills your heart, basically giving you 2 lives.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is incredibly good — everything from the color palette, to the music, to the upgrade paths, to the exploration and the combat is buttery smooth, feels great, and is an absolute joy to play.

Love this studio, probably my favorite Indie devs.

Dipship31

End game image:

PJdg9Do.jpg

Well finished it all up in about 15 hours and that was with me scavenging as much as the map as possible. I'm sure my 34 deaths is a lot, but eh did a lot of messing around.

Amazing game though and I can't think of a single negative. The
Vectron
part didn't blow me away like I was hoping knowing a "great gaming moment" was coming, but as a whole package pretty much perfect. I played a few hours of the original Dig on 3DS, but kind of got disinterested in that one along the way. However now if either the original Dig of Heist come to Switch I'll be getting them and playing through them for sure.

Dipship31

I really liked Motherload, do I buy this on my Switch or just go to Picross?

I've never played that game, but just speaking to you as a fellow gamer I think this is a must play for any gamer period. I'd say just get this and Picross since that's so cheap.

noshten

I just finished it and it left me wanting more, died a bit too much and I'm looking forward revising it in a few weeks doing the end game content.

Question about the
Vectron could you run away or is it impossible?

I wasn't really feeling the game until about 3 hours into it. I just kept digging down from the town, gathering gems, gets dark, go back to town, upgrading, and repeating these steps. Then I decided not to venture back there and go right from the town. I can kinda see why people are praising the game. Still waiting to get blown away though.

jwhit28

I finished it. Such a great game. The music and atmosphere gave me DKC2 vibes. I'd describe it as a beautiful bleakness. I don't see myself going back to collect everything. I think Samus Returns might have spoiled me with the scanner ability. That would be a nice end of game power up for all these types of games.

jariw

I finished it. Such a great game. The music and atmosphere gave me DKC2 vibes. I'd describe it as a beautiful bleakness. I don't see myself going back to collect everything. I think Samus Returns might have spoiled me with the scanner ability. That would be a nice end of game power up for all these types of games.

There is a similar ability available (a boost to the lamp).

Robiin

14 hours 40 minutes, 84% complete. Absolutely amazing game, loved my time with it. You feel so powerful in the end compared to the beginning, just cruising through on an
infinite jetpack, long grappling hook and bombing in mid-air
!

Going back now to hunt for artifacts and final secrets.

Does percantages show artifacts, or caves or what? Is there any way to avoid having to comb through the entire areas if I have for example 94% complete in an area?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While they nail the whole Western vibe that one organic area is soooo good looking. It made me want them to do another game not in the SW franchise that has an overall more orgranic look.

bede-x

If you like Motherload you'll absolutely fall in love with the Steamworld Dig series, 1 and especially 2.

What about the other way around? I love the Steamworld Dig games and would like something similar. Is Super Motherload a good choice?

dLMN8R

What about the other way around? I love the Steamworld Dig games and would like something similar. Is Super Motherload a good choice?

Probably, though the Motherload series is not really as RPG-ish / Metroidvania as Steamworld Dig as far as I remember.

Robiin

I'm at the trials now. I might just have hit my personal breaking point. Any reason to go for 100% in all areas except for personal pride?

How mamy of these randomized trials do I have to beat in a row without dying? I'm going crazy.

mazillion

I just realized you were intended to have the jetpack in the lava area. I made it way more difficult on myself finishing it before getting the jetpack. lol

Fireblend

Banned
I'm at the trials now. I might just have hit my personal breaking point. Any reason to go for 100% in all areas except for personal pride?

How mamy of these randomized trials do I have to beat in a row without dying? I'm going crazy.

All of them. Which ones are you having trouble with? I can try to help.

bede-x

Probably, though the Motherload series is not really as RPG-ish / Metroidvania as Steamworld Dig as far as I remember.

Yeah, that's the thing. The other mining games are never much like Steamworld Dig, with its single player and light puzzle focus. Makes it difficult when you fall for them and want something similar. Only just completed the sequel recently and am already longing for Steamworld Dig 3 :(

I'll give Super Motherload a chance in the next Steam sale.

I was expecting a lot more to do since I had skimmed a few of the completed images here and it seemed like 12+ hours was fairly common? I did use the hookshot to get around quickly pretty much immediately after getting it and I never let go of the sprint button. I also turned off the quest marker stuff which lead to me destroying two of the three thingers before even knowing why I was doing it since I just stumbled on them.

With the first game I really liked the first half and grew to hate it by the end. I rushed through the last hour or two and thought the final boss was really frustrating. This time around it kind of went in waves based off of getting some of the abilities giving me spikes of satisfaction as it made getting around and doing things more enjoyable. The last boss only took me two attempts so also didn't get frustrated there.

It was fun. Won't end up on my top ten list but I'd recommend it to others.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i've a question I've 'done' every single cave and came out with 38/42 artifacts. Am I stuck on an overworld hunt now for random artifacts? Did go to the boss a bit early, got destroyed and went back for powerup hunt, so I'm at 38/42 with almost most of my stuff maxed.

I guess I'll hit a guide for the remaining 4 if they are just scattered in the overworld.

So far I've loved it, the secrets are well done but findable without too much ridiculousness. I really miss a 'swing your pick while jumping' though.

jariw

i've a question I've 'done' every single cave and came out with 38/42 artifacts. Am I stuck on an overworld hunt now for random artifacts? Did go to the boss a bit early, got destroyed and went back for powerup hunt, so I'm at 38/42 with almost most of my stuff maxed.

I guess I'll hit a guide for the remaining 4 if they are just scattered in the overworld.

I found all without a guide, but with the lamp boost that highlight hidden entrances. Look at the percent for each section, that should give you a hint on where the remaining ones are.

Finished it with all the artifacts,
now on to the floating island
. Great game right there, only letdown was the endboss imo. One of the best indies in recent time and just the right length.

Morts

So is this very similar in structure to the original game? I'm really interested in thius and Axiom Verge, but having just finished the original Steamworld and Samus Returns I wonder if I should take a break from this style o f game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Finished it with all the artifacts,
now on to the floating island
. Great game right there, only letdown was the endboss imo. One of the best indies in recent time and just the right length.
I've noticed I&F are extremely good at setting the length of their games. Heist was another 'just right' gem.

Speely

Banned
I am buying this today becauase I am obsessed with Dead Cells and want a mvania on my Switch. Is the action fluid and fun?

Also looking forward to the digging/crafting stuff, but my main thing is the combat in a game like this.

jariw

So is this very similar in structure to the original game? I'm really interested in thius and Axiom Verge, but having just finished the original Steamworld and Samus Returns I wonder if I should take a break from this style o f game.

The game has a similar loop (dig, collect, go back and sell) as the first game. But the similarities pretty much end there. The first game was proceduraly generated, this game world is completely designed.

I am buying this today becauase I am obsessed with Dead Cells and want a mvania on my Switch. Is the action fluid and fun?

Also looking forward to the digging/crafting stuff, but my main thing is the combat in a game like this.

There is some combat/action (specially in the later half), but it's not a combat-heavy game in general.

It's a game that mixes exploration, platforming, puzzles, resource management, combat in a fun metroidvaina-style mix.

Speely

Banned
The game has a similar loop (dig, collect, go back and sell) as the first game. But the similarities pretty much end there. The first game was proceduraly generated, this game world is completely designed.

There is some combat/action (specially in the later half), but it's not a combat-heavy game in general.

It's a game that mixes exploration, platforming, puzzles, resource management, combat in a fun metroidvaina-style mix.

Thanks. That sounds pretty cool.

Monooboe

So I'm trying to get the Sequence Breaker achievement and now trying to get the long hookshot and while trying to get to one of the brazers where I have to get the golem out of the way, it didn't fall down and it's saved like that, I also can't get on top of it, so I am screwed?

Crash331

I have never played a game that has combat that flows as good as Dead Cells. Dig 2 doesn't come anywhere near Dead Cells' combat. I still love Dig 2, but don't go in expecting Dead Cells.

Combat isn’t a focus in this game. You unlock new powers, but it never felt to me like a “metroidvania” where you do backtracking. It’s just it’s own thing.

Speely

Banned
I have never played a game that has combat that flows as good as Dead Cells. Dig 2 doesn't come anywhere near Dead Cells' combat. I still love Dig 2, but don't go in expecting Dead Cells.

Combat isn’t a focus in this game. You unlock new powers, but it never felt to me like a “metroidvania” where you do backtracking. It’s just it’s own thing.

Hmm. Thanks for the info. Still gonna get this, but it's good to know what I am getting into. Confident I will like it. Impressions and reviews have been so good.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fuuuuck those trials.

the rocket trial always costs me i hate it

Top Bottom