• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - review thread

Hubb

How far/long into the game do you get the chance to recruit the new characters? All other changes sound good. Haven't played this in forever and looking forward to it.

Adamator

From the Nintendo Life review, part of what makes DQVIII fantastic:

The next quote is about DQVII, not VIII.

Just to be clear, DQVII does not have a fantastic overarching story. It's very much broken into smaller stories as its primary narrative and that wore thin on some (including me). DQVIII, the game being reviewed here, is more cohesive and tighter, if you will.

DQVIII really is the best DQ.

I played through 8 on the PS2. Easily one of my favorite DQ games. I was just more excited for 7 initially because it was completely new to me, I had never played it.

Didn't come in to expect lots of VII hate. I actually like VII better than the more conventional VIII. VIII do have a clearer story and better character development though. So to each of their own.

jb1234

Didn't come in to expect lots of VII hate. I actually like VII better than the more conventional VIII. VIII do have a clearer story and better character development though. So to each of their own.

I like both of them but for different reasons. They're very charming games.

Malakai

Not sure to buy this game or to buy Breath of Fire I & II on the New 3DS Virtual Console...I have $25 gift card I want to get rid off.

Bitanator

There are some hardcore DQ fans that will burn me at the stake for this, but DQ7 is terrible. I was eager for the rerelease after not liking the original version years ago on the PSX, but it's still bad.

Anyway, don't sleep on DQ8 (or 3, 4, and 5), it's excellent.

I'm coming for you... DQ VII is one of the most memorable experiences a hardcore jrpg fan can experience, like the ultimate love letter to snes era rpgs. Some of the scenarios are the best in the genre and the towns people from the past/future bridge together such a fantastic narrative. Most people just will not have the time to fully engage with the game and it is a shame because it is truly a special experience

R0ckman

I think the characters are great in VII but I feel the flow in it is bad, I love the episodic segementrd stories but it was all obviously at the sacrifice of a bigger picture, its painfully obvious at how vague the ending sequences are to wrap everything up. A very classic RPG, scratched my itch but it overstayed its welcome.

I feel VIII is JUST right.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People are in for a treat loved my first DQ8 experience with this remake.
Aside from the menus being terrible it was probably the most charming game I played since Ni no Kuni it also is gameplay wise more polished in my opinion. Well maybe not that special given it builds on the formula that made it great to begin with.

wmlk

OK, I had no idea/forgot that they put MIDI tracks instead of the re-orchestrated stuff in the JP release. wtf

NolbertoS

Not getting burned again, VII was not fun

VII was meant to be for DQ purists who love changing classes and grinding more. DQVIII was created more for casual people to gwt into the DQ series. They have fixed characters, with their own spells to learn, more sidequests and of course the fun alchemy pot to create your own items, weapons, etc. You won't be disappointed with VIII.

Are DQ1, 2, and 3 on the 3DS VC? I'm tempted to get them just have the first 9 games all in one place.

Sadly no :(. You can play DQ I - III on IOS/Android though. Hoping SE gives us DQ I -III remix via SNES VC on 3DS though. One can hope :)

LeonSPBR

Just pre-ordered it. DQVIII is one of the best PS2 RPG, so I Just had to buy it again. Can't wait for more 9 days to it.

isnt this also coming out for ps4?

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Nope. Nintendo only.

I can't wait for this game. I wasted my childhood on Final Fantasy when I should have been playing Dragon Quest.

I played the beginning of IX and that's it. I am so happy they removed random encounters. I love the Chrono design of visible monsters.

Zekes!

Not sure to buy this game or to buy Breath of Fire I & II on the New 3DS Virtual Console...I have $25 gift card I want to get rid off.

This.

I don't remember much of BoF1 and I enjoyed BoF2, but I prefer the later games (Dragon Quarter is my favourite).

Is the iOS/android version of this any good?

I'm definitely in the minority, but I loved the game on iOS. Is it the worst version of DQ8? Yes. But it has some things going for it.

First of all, I've played it on an iPhone 5S, iPod Touch whatever it was from 2014, and iPhone 6S currently.

It doesn't always run smoothly as framerate isn't smooth at 30 fps or anything like that, but definitely playable. The music is also midi instead of the orchestrated PS2 version and there is no voice acting.

So why do I like it? The game is in portrait mode, so you hold the phone upward like when you're normally using your iPhone and can play with just one hand. There is an auto-run feature so the main character just moves until you tell him to stop and you move the camera around bey swiping so the character runs in that direction. It works beautifully and makes playing it very easy. I also set the game to use the AI (every DQ game has this, not just the iOS versions) to make random battles go by without me selecting every attack (though you can make everything manual if you wish). It also has instant alchemy results instead of waiting for a certain amount of steps like in the PS2 version.

So again, it's the worst version of DQ8, but it's still DQ8 and it's amazing. I loved it on the PS2 and iOS. I'm sure I'll love it on the 3DS as well. If you don't have a means to play it on any other system, then I'd heartily recommend the iOS version.

Jimrpg

How are the graphics on the 3DS version?

From what I've seen, I much prefer the PS2 version, the 3DS version somehow seems like its like somewhere between N64 and a PS2 in terms of quality.

The reviews don't really mention or make a comparison to the PS2 version except for some QoL improvements. The God is a Geek review even said the 3DS version is improved on the PS2 which I just can't see. Anyone care to comment on the graphics between the two?

jb1234

From what I've seen, I much prefer the PS2 version, the 3DS version somehow seems like its like somewhere between N64 and a PS2 in terms of quality.

The reviews don't really mention or make a comparison to the PS2 version except for some QoL improvements. The God is a Geek review even said the 3DS version is improved on the PS2 which I just can't see. Anyone care to comment on the graphics between the two?

If you want the best looking version, stick with the PS2. But the QoL improvements are a big deal for this title, especially faster battles.

Jimrpg

If you want the best looking version, stick with the PS2. But the QoL improvements are a big deal for this title, especially faster battles.

Yeah my PS2 copy is sealed currently (and in another country). The graphics and performance would have to be significantly better for me to open it now that its been sealed for so long.

I think the no random battles is pretty huge though so im leaning towards getting the 3DS version at the same time, i have way too many 50+ hr games on my hands right now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAuS38Rlj8&t=141s

It looks good as a whole but it doesn't quite capture the detail of the PS2 version. DQ8 on PS2 is still one of the most attractive games of all time, the 3DS version isn't.

Do you value presentation more or gameplay more? Base your purchase off that.

Jimrpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAuS38Rlj8&t=141s

It looks good as a whole but it doesn't quite capture the detail of the PS2 version. DQ8 on PS2 is still one of the most attractive games of all time, the 3DS version isn't.

Do you value presentation more or gameplay more? Base your purchase off that.

Yes I remember watching a bit of this a few months ago when i was trying to decide to buy it or not!

The PS2 game gets all the colours right for me more than anything. Everything in the 3DS game looks more red/orangeish and basically more saturated. The texture work is also not as sharp.

The charm is all there though.

Still even if I play the PS2 version, I may not like all the random battles so I guess its the 3DS version for me...

Malakai

This.

I don't remember much of BoF1 and I enjoyed BoF2, but I prefer the later games (Dragon Quarter is my favourite).

I haven't play Dragon Quarter in over ten years. I hated that D-Ratio stuff and looking it over on GameFAQs, the requirements for the 1/4 D-Ratio is ridiculous. I did like the battle system and the story setting though. However, I detest playing games over again and again just to get the full story....

Dakhil

Dragon Quest VIII receives its first score of 7 from Metro, bringing down the overall score to 86 and 85 on Metacritic and OpenCritic, respectively.

But on a brighter note, Wffctech gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 8.5/10.

How far/long into the game do you get the chance to recruit the new characters? All other changes sound good. Haven't played this in forever and looking forward to it.

I believe you can recruit Morrie and Red around 3/4 into the game, but I could be wrong.

friz898

Been lurking this thread as I do every DQ thread.

Two notes.

1. Nice to see so many DQ avatars.
2. I'll never forget the name Metro now, and I'm not even big on the review threads, lol.

Aru

I would have liked to have those improvements back on PS2.
DQ8 was my first DQ8 but it is by far the game I like the least in the mainline series.
Slow battles, main quest is too long and the random encounters were annoying in the biggest dungeons.

After playing DQ Heroes, I'm not sure I can go back to traditional DQ games. Maybe I'll try XI though.

Katsuragi

I thoroughly enjoyed the DS remakes of the older Dragon Quest titles, so I'm sure I'm going to have a blast with this entry as well, especially since lot of fans seem to consider it one of the best games in the series. Can't wait!

Colocho

Banned
I played the PS2 version and found it amazing, but I never got around to finishing it. In portable form, I'm sure I'll get to do so now.

coopolon

Bought dq7 based on reviews and gafs good word. Got burned so hard on it, game is one of most boring I have ever played, 15 hours in and still no classes. now I'm convinced dragon quest is really not for me. Which is sad. Maybe I'll pick it up in a few months or a year when price has dropped and less risk.

Lothar

Banned
Bought dq7 based on reviews and gafs good word. Got burned so hard on it, game is one of most boring I have ever played, 15 hours in and still no classes. now I'm convinced dragon quest is really not for me. Which is sad. Maybe I'll pick it up in a few months or a year when price has dropped and less risk.

Do you need classes? Because DQ8 doesn't have any. Most DQs don't. That's not really what it's all about. If slow is what you don't like, then DQ probably isn't for you. They're all slow. (Although 7 is the slowest)

Aeana

Do you need classes? Because DQ8 doesn't have any. Most DQs don't. That's not really what it's all about. If slow is what you don't like, then DQ probably isn't for you. They're all slow. (Although 7 is the slowest)

Huh?
In what way are they slow?

Dakhil

Huh?
In what way are they slow?

I'm guessing in terms of progression since the player needs to do a good deal of grinding to progress without too much difficulty when playing Dragon Quest games in general. But then again, I could be wrong.

Top Bottom