• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target doesn't know what a Wii U looks like

Concept17

Calling it Super Wii wouldn't magically make people spend $350 on something with no appeal. The Wii name just has a lot less cache than Nintendo expected.

Agreed. I'm specifically talking about the confusion as to what it is. Super Wii sounds like a new console moreso than WiiU.

Wii2 is technically better, however.

farisr

At this point, I really think they should rebrand/relaunch it as Wii Too (if they really don't want to use an actual 2).

Of course in the fantasy scenario they would launch a brand new console next year as Wii Too with enhanced specs that is backwards compatible with existing Wii U games and Wii games. The specs would be closer to Xbox One/PS4 so it doesn't get left out from third party games.

Shiggy

Does the tablet work with this too?

242457.jpg

Pretty funny. Probably some graphic designer who knows nothing about video games slapped it on there. Would love to see the Best Buy ad now since they have the same deal next week.

Bob White

I actually have a Wii U standing next to my TV in the living room and I didn't even notice that it was actually a Wii in the ad.

Careful. Dave Long might go through your post history to prove you have an anti Wii U bias since you don't know what one looks like.

Someone at the Target ad dept is clearly trolling, there are plenty of stock images to use, but someone went out of their way to poorly edit and slap that in the flyer...

Sure the consoles look totally similar, except for the dimensions and the sharp Vs. rounded edges.

But whatever, the avg consumer doesn't know any better just and add on for the Wii, etc etc etc...
I came in here to say that, pretty much. Who goes out of their way to create such an image when tons if official images already exist? It's either pretty blatant trolling, or an attempt to send Nintendo a message by highlighting an issue. The latter makes less sense, though, if you are actually aiding the issue. I'm surprised by how many people in the thread just lapped this sh!t up. Then again, people rarely miss an opportunity to mock this console, as is.
DUp1o.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Personally I like the incorrect proportions they have going there. If the console were that large in comparison to the gamepad we would have quite a box on our hands.

Personally I like the incorrect proportions they have going there. If the console were that large in comparison to the gamepad we would have quite a box on our hands.

It's actually much more powerful than anybody realizes! They're using that extra room for Nintendo Magic and ten pounds of RAM.

Then its advertising regular wii games right under it, just driving home the thought its a peripheral. So ppl think if the blue box saying wiiu then it uses the gamepad like pikmin 3 right next to it, if not it doesnt use it.

Iskander

Neo Member
I mentioned this ad to someone at work and his response was, "but I thought the WiiU was a new controller for the Wii."

You can't make this stuff up.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Some of you might think people are being meanies by picking on Nintendo, but the WiiU definitely has an image problem as this Target ad gaffe illustrates. I own a WiiU and I totally *want* it to be successful. To be blind to the valid(!) criticisms however is being ignorant.

farisr

I can't believe people are blaming Nintendo for this. lol

It just strengthens one of the main criticisms aimed at Nintendo since the reveal of the product for the naming/marketing aspect. Even in the initial reveal, the console was barely shown, you had to freeze frame to see it, the focus was entirely on the controller.

Regular folks look at the console in stores and say when asked to comment "that's a new controller for the Wii" rather than "that is the next nintendo console"

Raist

Banned
Someone at the Target ad dept is clearly trolling, there are plenty of stock images to use, but someone went out of their way to poorly edit and slap that in the flyer...

Sure the consoles look totally similar, except for the dimensions and the sharp Vs. rounded edges.

But whatever, the avg consumer doesn't know any better just and add on for the Wii, etc etc etc...

Like this one?

Quite frankly it's not really better at making people not think it's just a tablet controller for the Wii. There might also be copyright problems. I don't think retail ads tend to use official pictures.

Azih

So the WiiU main console looks almost exactly like the redesigned Wii?

I haven't seen a redisgned Wii or a WiiU.

Add me to the list of people that get told "Just so you know this is not playable on the original Wii" every time I buy a Wii U game at EB games. It's always so stupid, every time.

ps1.jpg

_65019158_000194734-1.jpg

Sell-My-PS3-img.jpg

Main_PS3_Image_345w_2-02760.png

dualshock_system.jpg

Not much confusion here that they're different systems.

Heck, you don't have to point towards another company to get this message out.

Nintendo used to be fully behind this themselves.

The success of the Wii just really got to their heads.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there really so many people on GAF who have never seen what a Wii U look like? The first page is filled with people saying that. Using Google is hard.

Is there really so many people on GAF who have never seen what a Wii U look like? The first page is filled of people saying that. Using Google is hard.

I know the general look of the system but I wouldn't be able to tell two pictures apart with slight alterations like USB slots or buttons mixed.

Sorry.

KoopaTheCasual

It's crazy to think how different things could have been (maybe not successful, but definitely not failing like this) if only the WiiU had a different name, had a chassis that actually looked different from the Wii, and had proper marketing. You think all these "but I don't need a Wii accessory" jokes are just outliers and exaggerations. This is a systemic problem that Nintendo is facing with their new console. Brand recognition is a hell of a factor for moving consoles. You'd be terribly surprised how much it could have smoothed things.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yes, it's intentional trolling. In fact there is a retail media conspiracy involving Target and other large chain stores to systematically discredit the Wii U and push Nintendo out of the console business. It's not that the marketing for the Wii U has been so terrible that both the average consumer and store employee are confused as to what it looks like or actually is. Couldn't be that at all.

Occam's razor just doesn't apply to Nintendo fans.

Akainu

Wow looking at them both it's kind of sad nintendo didn't even try to make them look different from each other. They must have really been banking on people thinking it it was just like the wii.

Omega

Banned
How the fuck do gamers on this forum not know what the system looks like. I mean, really?

I never cared for or wanted to buy a Virtual Boy, 3D0, CD-i or whatever other failed platform out there, but for the sake of my interest in the hobby, I at least know what they're about.

because they've done a terrible job marketing it? this has nothing to do with gamers and rests on Nintendo with their colossal fuck up.

You can show me any system and I can tell you what it is. When I saw the picture in the OP I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Wolfie5

I actually read the description trying to find the mistake. Only after seeing actual picture of a Wii U did I see the mistake. If people on GAF can't see the difference, how is the general consumer suppose to see it?
I bet a lot of people have thought, "why buy that Wii U pad with an another Wii for $350, they should sell it separately or that's an expansive peripheral" and just left the store.

If you are going to use a name that sounds like an accessory, you better do a big marketing push to educate everyone what it is or there will be a lot of confusion.

I mean, they have used the Wii name a lot:
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Music
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Wii U

If I didn't know much about games, I am pretty sure I would not be aware that there is a new console in that list above.

Top Bottom