• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target doesn't know what a Wii U looks like

Portugeezer

ps1.jpg

_65019158_000194734-1.jpg

Sell-My-PS3-img.jpg

Main_PS3_Image_345w_2-02760.png

dualshock_system.jpg

Not much confusion here that they're different systems.
It also happens to be called PS4 as opposed to PS3, which was a successor to the PS2 which came after the PSX/1. Much easier to understand than a "U", especially considering the amount of peripherals the Wii had.

Bgamer90

Banned
But hey guys, I was overreacting and "hating on Nintendo" when I said that this would be a highly likely problem (months before the system launched).

#JimmyFallonWiiUThread

@____@

Banned
Someone at the Target ad dept is clearly trolling, there are plenty of stock images to use, but someone went out of their way to poorly edit and slap that in the flyer...

Sure the consoles look totally similar, except for the dimensions and the sharp Vs. rounded edges.

But whatever, the avg consumer doesn't know any better just and add on for the Wii, etc etc etc...

Agreed. It's the only legitimate explanation.

So all of you being outed for not knowing what a Wii U looks like, should we be perusing your post history on GAF to see how negative you've been about a console you can't even recognize? Hmmmm...
I play games, not consoles. But by all means, rescue Nintendo from such wicked persecution, I'm certain you can tell bedtime stories to your kids about how you saved the multinational corporation from the GAF horde.

Cwarrior

Wait is it not an add on controller?

Seriously everyone saw this problem as far back as E3 2011 when nintendo confused hardcore gamers of all people and the world with there wiiu unveiling yet nintendo japanese heads are so stubborn and out of touch they learn't nothing from it that was there chance to rebrand & redesign the system to clear up confusion but Nope they stuck there head in the sand for a year and half until it launched, they earned and deserve the abysmal sales there getting now.

Petrae

Someone at the Target ad dept is clearly trolling, there are plenty of stock images to use, but someone went out of their way to poorly edit and slap that in the flyer...

Sure the consoles look totally similar, except for the dimensions and the sharp Vs. rounded edges.

The truth is out there. This industry needs its own Mulder & Scully to set the record straight.

Sean

Banned
To be fair they look pretty damn similar. The Wii U has rounded edges and the eject button is on the left instead of right, but other than that it's pretty much identical.

It took me a little bit to realize what was wrong with the image.

Wait is it not an add on controller?

Seriously everyone saw this problem as far back as E3 2011 when nintendo confused hardcore gamers of all people and the world with there wiiu unveiling yet nintendo japanese heads are so stubborn and out of touch they learn't nothing from it that was there chance to rebrand & redesign the system to clear up confusion but Nope they stuck there head in the sand for a year and half until it launched, they earned and deserve the abysmal sales there getting now.

the day the Wii U was announced in 2011 CNN ran with the story of it being an add-on. This has been an issue from jump and Iwata barely addressed it what? 3 months ago? Pure incompetence.

Danielsan

I actually have a Wii U standing next to my TV in the living room and I didn't even notice that it was actually a Wii in the ad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But hey guys, I was overreacting and "hating on Nintendo" when I said that this would be a highly likely problem (months before the system launched).

#JimmyFallonWiiUThread
This much was common sense. The people who thought otherwise are probably the same ones thinking the Wii U is doing fine right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It also happens to be called PS4 as opposed to PS3, which was a successor to the PS2 which came after the PSX/1. Much easier to understand than a "U", especially considering the amount of peripherals the Wii had.

You can tell that they're completely different systems just by glancing at the pictures and not reading anything.

Brinbe

I own one too and I couldn't tell either.

lol Ninty so fucked and the sad part is they only have themselves to blame. For as much hate as they deserve, at least MS actually listened to the criticisms about their console and took steps to correct it before launch. And they'll be better off in the long run.

Nintendo ignored the chorus of everyone stating the obvious for two straight years and here we are.

Square2015

I actually have a Wii U standing next to my TV in the living room and I didn't even notice that it was actually a Wii in the ad.

Who says the WiiU isn't just a Wii with a gamepad, it might as well be...maybe it is!
Can anyone tell much of a difference performance wise?
"Mainstreamers" obviously can't, therefore the floundering sales post launch (after all the hardcore gamers had bought it)

Honestly wouldn't have noticed without the comparison pic.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. The gamepad having recognition is way more important. Then again, that's how some people still believe it's a Wii peripheral.

Square2015

For the longest time I thought Wii - U was an addon to the Wii....
It's basically NCL's first CD add on to a console! They finally made one! It's about time Nintendo, Sega only had you beat by 20 years!

*Cue the Sega CD ad where the angry black man mocks the kid "still waiting for Nintendo to make one"*

I think that ad does a better job of advertising the Wii U even though it's a Wii. Much better than Nintendo's promotional material where you can't even see the system.

I should've known. My apologies.

Not your fault, you should blame Nintendo. Those coy bastards are doing their best to make sure none of us know what the fuck is going on with their consoles.

P.S. One of those two Wii in the photos you shared cannot play GameCube games.

WHAT!?...You get a $50 gift card if you get the system?

I bought a brand new 32 GB Deluxe Wii U from Meijer in April. It was 15% off (so, $323.53 including the 8.75% tax) but also came with a $75 Meijer gift card, so I effectively spent $248.53 on it.

That was less than 6 months after launch.

OryoN

But whatever, the avg consumer doesn't know any better just and add on for the Wii, etc etc etc...

I came in here to say that, pretty much. Who goes out of their way to create such an image when tons if official images already exist? It's either pretty blatant trolling, or an attempt to send Nintendo a message by highlighting an issue. The latter makes less sense, though, if you are actually aiding the issue. I'm surprised by how many people in the thread just lapped this sh!t up. Then again, people rarely miss an opportunity to mock this console, as is.

Busty

Banned
I have to admit that I didn't see what was wrong with that picture until someone pointed it out to me.

And that's part of the problem right there.

Seriously what were Nintendo thinking with this?

Honestly, I have no idea what a Wii U looks like either.

They put all their design into the pad and forgot to make the console itself stand out.
as for the console itself, i have no clue what it is supposed to look like. All I have ever seen face to face was the tablet

Top Bottom