• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target online top 3 selling items during Thanksgiving: iPad, Apple Watch, and Wii U

ngower

NX will not launch in 2016. Let's say it's announced at E3 and released within 12-18 months (the typical release window from announcement to launch). It looks like mid-2017 is the earliest we see it.

I think there are likely a few games we don't know about yet, and I'm sure Nintendo are going to try and drag out the NX launch rather than rush it and extend their woes for another cycle.

I think Nintendo will see how successful this price pint was and will likely preserve this Bundle for $280 or drop most bundles to $250. Pushing ANY units is going to do wonders for their overall financial health because if someone has Smash and gets 2 or 3 amiibo, or downloads some of the DLC you basically just grabbed free money.

AniHawk

NX will not launch in 2016. Let's say it's announced at E3 and released within 12-18 months (the typical release window from announcement to launch). It looks like mid-2017 is the earliest we see it.

I think there are likely a few games we don't know about yet, and I'm sure Nintendo are going to try and drag out the NX launch rather than rush it and extend their woes for another cycle.

I think Nintendo will see how successful this price pint was and will likely preserve this Bundle for $280 or drop most bundles to $250. Pushing ANY units is going to do wonders for their overall financial health because if someone has Smash and gets 2 or 3 amiibo, or downloads some of the DLC you basically just grabbed free money.

nx is guaranteed to happen in 2016 unless there are catastrophic delays on major titles.

1. the nx was announced in march 2015, which would give it the 12-18 months until release (meaning latter half of 2016). this is consistent when we first knew of 'project cafe' around that time in 2011.
2. super big budget game zelda wii u was pushed back into 2016. delay coincides with nx announcement and the game nor any nx games/details are shown at e3.
3. it's really obvious that nintendo's relying on filler for their 3ds and wii u schedules from 2014-2016 as more important teams work on a solid nx lineup (such teams that would have a game ready by next year are ead tokyo and retro studios)
4. software kits for nx supposedly went out last month. the nx was shown to third-parties before e3 of this year. foxconn was rumored to start production last month and be ready for a 2016 release.
5. nintendo account/my nintendo launches in 2016. this probably isn't happening so that nintendo can get 3ds/wii u owners on board, but so they have a framework for nx's launch later that year.

wii u was definitely delayed by several months from what we do know. i also heavily suspect that the 3ds was delayed as well, and i think the wii u was pushed back even further from an earlier release date of late 2011. so the only reason we'd see a 2017 system is if nintendo once again doesn't have everything in place. it's absolutely possible, but i think they're aiming pretty hard for a 2016 release date.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That makes me happy :)

Someone should update the OP or do the "new thread for new news" thing and make a new thread.

For new news.

styl3s

Get the wool yoshi ones, they are the best!
I already bought the pink and green. Can't find blue or this giant one i keep hearing about i don't know if that one is a store exclusive or something.

I'll probably do some hunting when im off wed. The ones i want the most are the Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing ones which it looks like most of these are widely available.

Welfare

Devices can't launch more than a year after it's announced. More than a year is too long of a wait and you basically kill any sales that the Wii U would have because people will wait for the NX. They are either announcing and releasing in 2016 or they hold everything for 2017.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So if the Wii U had launched with Splatoon and Mario Maker (as showcases for the gamepad) and had SSBWiiU come out before its first holiday and they followed it up with Mario Kart Wii U for the summer...

They really have to get their timing right with NX.

So if the Wii U had launched with Splatoon and Mario Maker (as showcases for the gamepad) and had SSBWiiU come out before its first holiday and they followed it up with Mario Kart Wii U for the summer...

They really have to get their timing right with NX.

They barely sold out at launch, then had a luke warm December where it was on plenty of shelves and no were near a sell out, followed by an immediate sales collapse in January. This wasn't a launch game issue. There was a fundemental fuck up of the Wii u branding and message that didn't hit at all. No single game could have fixed that. If a sequel to the 30 million selling 2D mario couldn't move units, then a splatoon wouldn't have done a damn thing that early in its life.

So Nintendo needs to get alot more things right than launch with a few stellar games. They need to make people give a shit and they better fucking spend their way there or see another dud.

Not

Banned

It's gotta come out next year. Zelda is a launch game for it. Reasoning: there's no reason for them to give us absolutely no Zelda info until E3 if they weren't launching the NX alongside it. They're going to mainly show the NX version, while the Wii U version will be an afterthought.

The weird thing though is I finally think Josephine on the street knows what a Wii U is. I've overheard people asking family members if they had a Wii or Wii U at the house, when they used to just assume Wii U was the same thing. Must suck for Nintendo since they're transitioning.

Perona

I ordered a smash splat bundle for pick-up and then cancelled/re-ordered it because I found the coupon for it. Target ended up sending me a $50 gift card for my already cancelled order because apparently they were mistakenly put up for pick-up. Gonna get MK8 with it.

They barely sold out at launch, then had a luke warm December where it was on plenty of shelves and no were near a sell out, followed by an immediate sales collapse in January. This wasn't a launch game issue. There was a fundemental fuck up of the Wii u branding and message that didn't hit at all. No single game could have fixed that. If a sequel to the 30 million selling 2D mario couldn't move units, then a splatoon wouldn't have done a damn thing that early in its life.

So Nintendo needs to get alot more things right than launch with a few stellar games. They need to make people give a shit and they better fucking spend their way there or see another dud.
I agree that the system had a lot more fundamental flaws and there were a lot of issues with their release schedule(there has been since the N64 days). However NSMBU wasn't a system seller and the series had already shown massive decline with NSMB2 on the 3DS. If the Wii U had launched with Splatoon and Mario Maker, I think the system and reception would've been better. It wouldn't have saved the Wii u but I feel it would've been a lot better off. Splatoon is the Wii U's, Wii Sports, Melee, SM64, etc., a popular defining game that is built and takes full advantage of the system.

qko

Since the thread has gone to NX talk all I want to say is:

Dear Nintendo, I don't want to buy Super Mario Bros, Metroid and Legend of Zelda for a 5th time in my life (NES, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U). Just give me the VC games I've already bought on the Wii U. K thx bai.

Since the thread has gone to NX talk all I want to say is:

Dear Nintendo, I don't want to buy Super Mario Bros, Metroid and Legend of Zelda for a 5th time in my life (NES, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U). Just give me the VC games I've already bought on the Wii U. K thx bai.

Just do a system transfer from your current Wii and you will have them all in your Wii U's Wii mode.

Top Bottom