• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target online top 3 selling items during Thanksgiving: iPad, Apple Watch, and Wii U

B.O.O.M

Not really.
Yes it has been out longer, but the Wii U is not that far behind Xbox One sales, both are between 10-15 Million (which combined don't even add up to what PS4 has sold!).
The Wii U launch was better than both 360 & PS3. The issue is that sales have slowed down heavily in the west. The amazing sales of the PS4 have obscured it totally, as have the front loaded sales of Xbox. The Wii U is still selling quite well in JP, I mean all consoles are low in the region, but Wii U is still a competitor there.

I don't want to take this down the arguments of yesteryear, but thougt it was worth mentioning. It is a shame that it didn't aim for parity with the other consoles, as a lack of properly marketed 3rd party games at launch, and then a lack of 3rd party games overall really hurt it.

But I hope, even in it's fading years, the Wii U can still shift units because I think it is a good alternative console, with good, exclusive games, especially for younger people.

This is some impressive mental gymnastics

Im telling you, we wont see the NX in 2016. So happy to see this system finally sell. Hopemthey realise now that with a better price , they can sell more. Now only if they could start some NIntendo Select title at like 19$, it will draw more attention.

Wii U in 2016:

TP HD
Star Fox Zero
Pokken Tournament
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Zelda Wii U

Zero or close to nothing on Third Party......a great selling Wii U this holiday 2015 is not going to make Nintendo invest new game development into Wii U at this point, they have already gone full bore into NX.

Send Wii U out with a bang in 2016 and don't linger with no games for a full year, making the NX backwards compatible when it's launched in holiday 2016 will help any sting of buying a Wii U right now.

SeanR1221

Very cool to see some demand but it's still dead, Jim. Which is a damn shame.

Hopefully the NX takes off. I have a couple friends who want Mario maker/the next Zelda and are just waiting for the NX

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Target's online BF site saved the Wii U. Ppl buying Apple watches too...wow.

They restricted PS4 and Xbox One to in-store only. Of course the Wii U is ahead of them online.

Thats interesting...I wonder why.

ngower

I think NIntendo could give away their next console for free and people would still try to spin it into something negative. Just be happy that more people are getting their hands on a Wii U!

I bought one for my sister's family but debating whether or not to hold onto it as I'm not sure how much life this system has in it and don't want to get them something that'll be replaced in a year or so. But still, the little ones playing Smash and Mario Kart and Zelda just makes me happy.

DR2K

Banned

They were advertising together like it was one of their main deals. So Target got the best Wii U deal, most Wii U stock, and black friday advertisement. Looks like it was a huge success.

EthanC

Banned

They want people in the store for the big ticket sale items. TVs, PS4, Xbox One etc. Get them in the door and maybe they'll buy some of the other stuff they see on sale strewn all around the store.

Looks like people finally figured out that Wii U wasn't an accessory for Wii. Took them long enough. NX Console delayed indefinitely. ;)

tanooki27

that wii u smash/splatoon bundle is one of the greatest bundles ever sold. nowhere else will you find that much fun (and art!) stuffed into one box.

Wagram

Great bundle, but I was out in my local town and it was hardly moving units compared to other machines. That bundle was pretty good compared to what was being sold here at least.

More people to buy Xenoblade!

ngower

that wii u smash/splatoon bundle is one of the greatest bundles ever sold. nowhere else will you find that much fun (and art!) stuffed into one box.

If there was a Pro controller bundled in for like $20 more then this statement would be absolutely true. But with some $300 XB1/PS4 bundles I don't know if that Wii U statement is accurate. Still a great deal.

Where was the Splat Smash bundle on the chalkboard? But seriously, my dream would be an awesome holiday allowing Nintendo to delay the NX until 2017, though I'm sure it's too late for that now. Still, more noobs to destroy in Splatoon.

ngower

Where was the Splat Smash bundle on the chalkboard? But seriously, my dream would be an awesome holiday allowing Nintendo to delay the NX until 2017, though I'm sure it's too late for that now. Still, more noobs to destroy in Splatoon.

Given the quality of some of the recent releases and the seemingly poor quality of stuff like Star Fox Zero, I'd be surprised if they had a few big budget titles outside of Zelda that they'd release on the Wii U over the next two years.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
There may be a specific reason why Target Wii U's got destroyed - there was a stacking coupon method that let you take anywhere from 15 - 30% off using Wedding and/or college registry coupons lowering the price to $200-220 for a Wii U with two games. I don't really believe THAT many people did that specific coupon stacking trick, but ya never know with crazy resellers.

How was this done and can it still be done?

They restricted PS4 and Xbox One to in-store only. Of course the Wii U is ahead of them online.

They want people in the store for the big ticket sale items. TVs, PS4, Xbox One etc. Get them in the door and maybe they'll buy some of the other stuff they see on sale strewn all around the store.

Was it different yesterday than today? The PS4 and XB1 are both available for sale online, I just sent my brother the link for the PS4/UC bundle.

I've always wanted a Wii U but I don't want to spend more than 200 including the game. I'm amazed that Nintendo still hasn't managed to put out a bundle I want but congrats to them on this bundle if its selling that well.
What does this even mean? It has two games. One should be GOTY re: Splatoon and Smash. What game are you waiting to see bundled to be below $200?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What does this even mean? It has two games. One should be GOTY re: Splatoon and Smash. What game are you waiting to see bundled to be below $200?
People who say that have no actual intention of buying the system, turning down a system that offers 2 highly praised games for 250 despite wanting it is foolhardy

I've always wanted a Wii U but I don't want to spend more than 200 including the game. I'm amazed that Nintendo still hasn't managed to put out a bundle I want but congrats to them on this bundle if its selling that well.

You are essentially only paying $130 bucks for the Wii U hardware, those are two full priced $60 games included = $250, it's an amazing deal.

sörine

Banned
Wii U in 2016:

TP HD
Star Fox Zero
Pokken Tournament
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Zelda Wii U

Zero or close to nothing on Third Party......a great selling Wii U this holiday 2015 is not going to make Nintendo invest new game development into Wii U at this point, they have already gone full bore into NX.

Send Wii U out with a bang in 2016 and don't linger with no games for a full year, making the NX backwards compatible when it's launched in holiday 2016 will help any sting of buying a Wii U right now.
Pikmin 4 is probably a Wii U game. I think we'll see some rushed contract games too, like Mario Golf for example.

Traditional 3rd parties are out (bar Lego/Skylanders/Infinity) but Wii U will still probably see 100+ indie games release in 2016. They've been missing 3rd parties since 2013 yet somehow the system still sees over a hundred game releases a year (currently at 418 in the US).

words of truth, I have my Wii U since launch and I still need to get those 2 games though, but I tried Splatoon and love it, Smash seems lots of fun too. Helps that online is free, I hate paying for online on PS4 since my time to play has been reduced, sticking to SP.

Hiltz

sörine;187021298 said:
Pikmin 4 is probably a Wii U game. I think we'll see some rushed contract games too, like Mario Golf for example.

Traditional 3rd parties are out (bar Lego/Skylanders/Infinity) but Wii U will still probably see 100+ indie games release in 2016. They've been missing 3rd parties since 2013 yet somehow the system still sees over a hundred game releases a year (currently at 418 in the US).

Yeah, Pikmin 4 is looking like it will be a Wii U title. Miyamoto's made some previous comments about the future of Pikmin franchise, and the likelihood of it remaining on the home console, at least for this generation:

"The truth is we were doing prototype tests of Pikmin for the DS and 3DS but it turned into unit management with only the touch pen and no matter what it just didn't seem like Pikmin. We concluded that Pikmin is a game that revolves around action based on its controls and the strategy sits on top of that. Although there are elements that are built on the strategy, there are other overall things that have to be well considered. This complete experience is an important element of Pikmin." - July 2013

“Continually launching campaigns after the release of software will lay the groundwork for the next iteration of “Pikmin” in the future. And needless to say, we want it to be one of the motivations for potential consumers to purchase Wii U. We are making a variety of different efforts.” - November 2014

styl3s

Just saw that Wii U was actually the number 1 item online for Target. That's a bit more impressive than top 3!

Got the info from:
http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-u...est-selling-online-items-during-thanksgiving/
I had to drive across town and to 5 total Targets to find one and had to get into a very unpleasant argument with the guy working electronics. Rolled up and saw him arguing with this sweet old lady trying to buy one of the 2 that were left for $249.99 and the guy was being a complete fucking asshole who was doing everything in his power not to sell those 2 which led me to believe he was either "holding" them for friends or was just a incompetent douche bag.

We got the manager involved and both of us got our Wii-U's so it ended up being a good night. I'm actually really, really surprised at how well the Wii-U was selling here considering i was able to walk into a Wal-Mart 3 days after the Wii launched and bought one and could walk into any store after the release of Wii-U and get one. Seemed like every retail store had a mountain of PS4/X1's still in stock but i imagine each retail store had like a billion on hand because those seemed like they were selling like fucking hotcakes on thursday.

Now i descend into the madness that is amiibos

KingJ2002

Great news for Nintendo.

but the NX is definitely happening in 2016. New Wii U owners will have the upcoming lineup along with the virtual console to enjoy...

I can also imagine many of these new systems going on ebay next year as well when the news hits.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So ... are we poised for a Wii U upset in the November NPDs? Because the meltdowns would be glorious.

While the meltdown would be pretty impressive, all this points to is Wii U's November numbers not being a complete disaster. They might even be better than expected, but it would take a real miracle (and a lot more than the Target.com sales) for it to surpass X1 or PS4. I think even Nintendo would be baffled if that were to happen. The meltdown at Nintendo would probably be even greater than the meltdown at GAF.

If there is a notable sales jump, expect the press release to have a quote from Reggie or Scott Moffitt saying something about how consumers respond to the value of great software and that the value of the new bundles is unparalleled in the market (or something).

Top Bottom