• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update Info, Pyro Megaton

Capndrake

Volcynika said:
Snipin's a good job, ain't it CapnDrake?
Yes it is my good man:

stats12052009.png

Sniper's secondary weapon is the shittiest weapon in the game. I hope they give him an actual weapon to replace it and not some lame item ala pills or sandvich

Bluth54

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Will this change how you can pickup ammo/metal from dead peoples weapons? I do that all the time to get more metal as an engineer or flamethrower ammo.

My guess is that the first time you pick up a weapon you don't have it will be added to your inventory, every other time after that it's just like normal and you'll get ammo/metal.

Of course it's impossible to say what Valve is going to do. We'll just have to wait and see what they decide. Hopefully it will be included in this update since I only have the 3 heavy weapons and the first medic unlock.

Capndrake has played TF2 for roughly 1650 hours.

That equates to around 41.2 work weeks, given a 40 hour week.

You're almost at a full year's work my man. :lol

benjipwns

Banned
Why are we assuming this is a rifle replacement and not a SMG replacement?

Just wondering if there was confirmation somewhere.

Blizzard

Banned
benjipwns said:

I think it'd be a significant improvement over the tommy gun, Valve rarely gives upgraded weapons that are totally improvements besides the ubersaw and the blutsauger (sp?). >_> Oh, and maybe the axetinguisher.

Bluth54

benjipwns said:

I think it's because it says you get a crit if you get a headshot and you have to charge it up for a one second charge for power shots. Also Valve said that the rifle replacement would have snipers get closer to the other players. This sounds like a sniper rifle replacement, but it's hard to say for sure.

benjipwns

Banned
I understand Valve changed their mind about not changing how the classes play, I was just asking if there was confirmation since the page doesn't say it.

Twig

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Capndrake has played TF2 for roughly 1650 hours.

That equates to around 41.2 work weeks, given a 40 hour week.

You're almost at a full year's work my man. :lol
But he spent almost 11 of those work weeks cheating, so it doesn't really count. ):

This could be good for a medium range/inside scope range sniper. On 360 I would try to do no-scopes all the time and this is pretty much a weapon that rewards that.

I wonder if the arrows will work like bullets or if they'll have an arc to them?

Blizzard said:
I think it'd be a significant improvement over the tommy gun, Valve rarely gives upgraded weapons that are totally improvements besides the ubersaw and the blutsauger (sp?). >_> Oh, and maybe the axetinguisher.
Fact that the description says a head shot is an autocrit pretty much confirms this is the primary weapon.

Second, I dont think think the axetinguisher is a "total" improvement at all. The only time I use melee as a pyro is when Im running up to another pyro... Id rather have something that can actually crit him. If Im already in melee range against any other class, Im just gonna keep my flames on them for a second or two and be done with it.

Cohsae

Suburban Cowboy said:
Fact that the description says a head shot is an autocrit pretty much confirms this is the primary weapon.

Second, I dont think think the axetinguisher is a "total" improvement at all. The only time I use melee as a pyro is when Im running up to another pyro... Id rather have something that can actually crit him. If Im already in melee range against any other class, Im just gonna keep my flames on them for a second or two and be done with it.
Don't underestimate the axe, it has definite advantages. Good for taking out heavies. Especially if they are just around a corner. Duck out, flame, duck back, switch to axe, duck out, chop. If you just stand there and flame a good heavy will kill you. Unless you're backburnering then you have a shot.

Blizzard

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:

Yeah, and that's a good reason why I said "maybe". :p I'm never good enough to have a shot at using the axe, but I think I've heard one or two people say it can be quite effective, maybe against heavies like someone mentioned.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Suburban Cowboy said:
Sniper's secondary weapon is the shittiest weapon in the game. I hope they give him an actual weapon to replace it and not some lame item ala pills or sandvich
What?

It's a lifesaver, plus you can take out a sentry in about 3 seconds minus the sniper charge up time.

If you hit any <175HP class with the entire mag they are dead.

nightside

SuperEnemyCrab said:
So pretty much your basic 2fort match? :D

aaah....2fort....cloak...dive into water....uncloak and disguise....go carefully on enemy balcony....backstab backstab backstab :lol

Hazaro said:
What?

It's a lifesaver, plus you can take out a sentry in about 3 seconds minus the sniper charge up time.

If you hit any <175HP class with the entire mag they are dead.
exactly. It takes an entire clip to kill anything. I can land multiple crits during the victory period and not kill the target.

Slavik81

Here's hoping they cut back on the number of achievements that require you to already have an use the new weapons. It makes it a lot harder to unlock the first weapon.

Slavik81 said:
Here's hoping they cut back on the number of achievements that require you to already have an use the new weapons. It makes it a lot harder to unlock the first weapon.

I think it's more to do with difficulty of getting them. The heavy achievements were great, I played for 6-8 hours to get all the unlocks and I didn't have to go out of my way to do anything special.

The scout achievements were awful, most of them required you to do something specifically out of the ordinary and too many of them were linked to the very last item you unlock.

Xizk

Isn't this update supposed to have the random drops for the weapons? I really don't want all the servers to turn into all snipers farming for achievements, like the last updates have been. I really hope they had the time to change it for this update.

webrunner said:
"Dying"?

What's a "Dying" player?

Think of it exactly as the crossbow in HL2. If the damage from the shot will not kill them, it will just do the damage and stick out of them. If the damage from the shot will kill them, it will nail them to the closest wall.

New spychecking method, here we go!

Blizzard

Banned
RiggenBlaque said:
New spychecking method, here we go!

Semi thread-derail: How does one be a good spy? It normally seems like any decent team finds spys pretty easily unless they attack immediately out of decloaking (in which case they die shortly thereafter). Going backwards through chokepoints is hard as a cloaked spy with demomen/soldiers/pyros/heavies shooting constantly.

Not to mention as far as I know, you can't see what name you're disguised as, so there's a good chance that you'll be disguised as a player who's playing a different class, or you'll be running up to a player who has the same name as you.

Not to mention, most importantly, spies become incredibly obvious because most of the time any class in team fortress is constantly shooting, healing, or meleeing. Anyone who isn't is a spy, or is a lousy teammate who should be teamkilled. TOO BAD YOU CAN'T. ;_;

So, any thoughts? I'm being a bit silly, but I am interested in good techniques.

Top Bottom