• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update Info, Pyro Megaton

Vlad

Blizzard said:
Semi thread-derail: How does one be a good spy? It normally seems like any decent team finds spys pretty easily unless they attack immediately out of decloaking (in which case they die shortly thereafter). Going backwards through chokepoints is hard as a cloaked spy with demomen/soldiers/pyros/heavies shooting constantly.

Being the spy involves a lot of patience and quite a bit of luck. When you're crossing the front line to try and get behind them while cloaked, try not to do it when the other team is fighting with your team. Try to sneak through during a lull in the shooting. As you said, trying to get through the middle of a firefight will most likely get you killed or shot (and revealed, since shooting makes your cloak visible).

Not to mention as far as I know, you can't see what name you're disguised as, so there's a good chance that you'll be disguised as a player who's playing a different class, or you'll be running up to a player who has the same name as you.

Again, that's just a matter of luck. Still, on a 12v12 server, you've got a 1/12 chance of running into a player with the same name, so your odds aren't too bad.

Not to mention, most importantly, spies become incredibly obvious because most of the time any class in team fortress is constantly shooting, healing, or meleeing. Anyone who isn't is a spy, or is a lousy teammate who should be teamkilled. TOO BAD YOU CAN'T. ;_;

That's why it's often good to run WAY behind enemy lines and pretend to run up to the front lines with another group. You won't appear too out of place if you're not shooting. Otherwise, try and wait until the enemy is involved in a major firefight with your team before striking. It's like the opposite of when you cross to get behind them: you want them to be so busy and distracted by shooting at your teammates that you have a better chance of sneaking up behind them.

Ramenman

Blizzard said:
Not to mention as far as I know, you can't see what name you're disguised as, so there's a good chance that you'll be disguised as a player who's playing a different class,

Will happen only if nobody is playing the class you're disguised as.
Say you disguise as a demoman, and nobody in the opposing team is a demoman, then it's the only occurence where you'll be named as someone who's playing a different class.

or you'll be running up to a player who has the same name as you.

That's the most terrible thing :O

But the most funny one when you're not the spy and see someone named like you :D

Not to mention, most importantly, spies become incredibly obvious because most of the time any class in team fortress is constantly shooting, healing, or meleeing. Anyone who isn't is a spy, or is a lousy teammate who should be teamkilled. TOO BAD YOU CAN'T. ;_;

So, any thoughts? I'm being a bit silly, but I am interested in good techniques.

That's why it's hard being a spy.

Jswanko

Blizzard said:
So, any thoughts? I'm being a bit silly, but I am interested in good techniques.

Advice above is pretty good. Ive played about 200 hours of spy and its probably my best class. some tips:

Set priorities! It may be tempting to backstab that Heavy but in most cases its better to maintain your disguise so you can take out buildings.

Be subtle! When approaching the front line don't head straight for a sentry or get caught looking at it for too long, people get suspicious.

Be cloaked! With the exception of suicide missions you should always have enough cloak to get away; with the new ammo update it's a lot easier. Also try sitting, cloaked, nest to or on top of a dispenser and charging your cloak before attacking.

Most importantly, get lucky. Also, Use revolver as much as possible when caught, it owns.

Blizzard

Banned
Good advice, thanks. :) I guess I didn't know that it automatically selects the name of an existing player with a matching class as long as one exists. I typically try to disguise as classes that I know are in play anyway.

Rahk

Blizzard said:
Semi thread-derail: How does one be a good spy?
I am by no means a great spy, and haven't actually played TF2 in a long time, but typically you want to be seen as little as possible, even if you are disguised. Try to appear only from behind the enemy team, with no one else behind you. After stabbing someone, if anyone is around and sees you, cloak as quickly as possible and hide/run away.

This video might help for other general tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoRArD1o99w It's quite old, but most of it should still apply.

Blizzard said:
Not to mention as far as I know, you can't see what name you're disguised as, so there's a good chance that you'll be disguised as a player who's playing a different class, or you'll be running up to a player who has the same name as you.
It chooses a name from the other team of the class that you chose, unless there is no one of that class on the other team. So if you disguise as a sniper and there are 2 snipers on the other team, it will randomly choose a name out of those 2. Obviously you will want to avoid them specifically, unless you come from behind.

GameGamer

Jswanko said:
Advice above is pretty good. Ive played about 200 hours of spy and its probably my best class. some tips:

Set priorities! It may be tempting to backstab that Heavy but in most cases its better to maintain your disguise so you can take out buildings.

Be subtle! When approaching the front line don't head straight for a sentry or get caught looking at it for too long, people get suspicious.

Be cloaked! With the exception of suicide missions you should always have enough cloak to get away; with the new ammo update it's a lot easier. Also try sitting, cloaked, nest to or on top of a dispenser and charging your cloak before attacking.

Most importantly, get lucky. Also, Use revolver as much as possible when caught, it owns.

Do people use some type of spy decloak-stab-recloak script?

I'm always surprised that others seem to un-cloak, stab me, and re-cloak about twice as fast as I can while playing that class.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That's because they've spent hours playing the class and have the timing down to a key.

Just like knowing you're up against a good Soldier when he knows how to juggle you with his rockets and trajectory paths.

firex

Play pyro and get good at spy hunting, then think "how do I not want to get caught?" when you play spy. It works for me.

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Good advice, thanks. :) I guess I didn't know that it automatically selects the name of an existing player with a matching class as long as one exists. I typically try to disguise as classes that I know are in play anyway.

Just don't do what I accidentally do on occasion... Disguise as an ally during the beginning countdown and forget to change to the enemy color before decloaking to sap a sentry. <BOOOOM>

webrunner

RiggenBlaque said:
Think of it exactly as the crossbow in HL2. If the damage from the shot will not kill them, it will just do the damage and stick out of them. If the damage from the shot will kill them, it will nail them to the closest wall.

New spychecking method, here we go!

yes, but, it says "dead or dying"

I would have thought saying "dead" would be enough, why the distinction? Is there some 'zone' of health where you aren't killed by the shot but it pins you anyway? Maybe it does damage over time (it does say you carry the arrow around..) and if THAT would kill you you also get pinned?

webrunner said:
yes, but, it says "dead or dying"

I would have thought saying "dead" would be enough, why the distinction? Is there some 'zone' of health where you aren't killed by the shot but it pins you anyway? Maybe it does damage over time (it does say you carry the arrow around..) and if THAT would kill you you also get pinned?
I'm pretty sure that by dying, they mean the actual animation of dying. Though it does make me wonder if you can pin someone that's already been killed, just for the heck of it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Spy requires too much luck for me to ever bother playing it properly, it was fun when the game first came out and everyone sucked though. You can be amazing with the Spy but all it takes is for a Pyro to just flame around, maybe unexpectedly and you're dead.

benjipwns

Banned
It's updated.

Payload Race. (Night Setting!)
Two New Arena Maps. (Stormy Setting with Spinning Saw Blades and Doomsday Weapon Bottomless Pit)
Valve said:
Set in a stormy mountain sawmill, this arena map has its cap point in a large structure atop a hill in the center of the map; beneath which lies a hidden underground spytech base; and above which, pouring down on everything we just mentioned, is rain—the first weather effect to appear in a TF map. If that previous sentence wasn’t long enough for you, replace the period with a comma and add this next part: players must ALSO watch out for the two deadly saw blades near the cap, which were left on when the previous occupants abandoned it for a less deadly, hilly, rain-swamped sawmill not built on a spybase.
A diabolical doomsday device is the foundation of this circular arena map, which features long sightlines and a bottomless radioactive pit underneath most of the game area. The cap, located in the center of the arena, is only accessible by catwalks suspended over a chasm, which open after the timer has run down.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, they keep releasing a lot of arena stuff, huh? I thought most people hated arena. :(

I want an official map that uses the lumberyard theme and ISN'T an arena map. Or maybe one came out and I wasn't paying attention.

PatzCU

Payload race!!! I thought that was going to be released when the Scout update came out. I cannot wait for this.

HOLY SH*T ! Have you seen these new maps ?

Double playload at the same time ? Rainy sawmill ? Circular arena around a nuclear pod ? AWESOMENESS !

Surreal

I've always been impressed with the support Valve puts out for this game, I just might have to buy it. Is there a demo anywhere I can use to see how it runs on my computer?

bdouble

Wow that will be intense as fuck. Not only will it roll backwards but you will have a fighting disadvantage form the low ground on the home stretch. I freaking love it.

^^Wait for the update it will most likely go on sale that weekend.

Blizzard

Banned
Surreal said:
I've always been impressed with the support Valve puts out for this game, I just might have to buy it. Is there a demo anywhere I can use to see how it runs on my computer?

You might try asking in the online forum's TF2 thread. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one person mentioning recently that they had a weekend trial pass...sometimes people get those and can let other people try the game. :)

Surreal

Blizzard said:
You might try asking in the online forum's TF2 thread. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one person mentioning recently that they had a weekend trial pass...sometimes people get those and can let other people try the game. :)

Ok, thats for the info. :]

I saw on a few websites that the update will be like the previous ones and have a free weekend. So hopefully you can try either this weekend or next weekend depending on when the update comes out.

Oh man, these updates look sooo good. <3 Payload Race <3

I hope that since these updates started on Monday, then it'll be released on Friday or Monday. I'm glad I just finished my semster so I can finally get the last Scout unlock and these unlocks.

archangel565 said:
I saw on a few websites that the update will be like the previous ones and have a free weekend. So hopefully you can try either this weekend or next weekend depending on when the update comes out.

It is highly likely they will have a free weekend and a discount, as usual.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Netrunner2k2 said:
It is highly likely they will have a free weekend and a discount, as usual.

You're right on at least one of your affirmations -- their latest press release mentions a free weekend right after the Sniper Update (whenever it happens).

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
I want an official map that uses the lumberyard theme and ISN'T an arena map. Or maybe one came out and I wasn't paying attention.

I'd really like that, too. It's by far my favorite environment. Until they do I make do with Cashworks.

Kritz

Banned
So that's what happened to the Payload map that was shown in one of the Scout update pictures.

And while I suppose it's a good thing they're still supporting Arena, I'd probably prefer it if they gave us an entirely new gametype, or made a CP map that's actually fun.

That new payload gametype is going to be INSAAAAAAAAAANE fun. Pyro airblast ftw!

Love the new environments as well, but i want some non-arena maps already. I don't play arenas too often.

Valve just keeps delivering the awesome. :D

benjipwns

Banned
Scrow said:
pretty much. i still haven't unlocked a single item for the scout.
I unlocked it all and then basically barely have played since then. It's been some other games to an extent, but mostly I've been tired of the maps lately and the Scout maps were underwhelming since I had played them quite a bit as customs.

Don't really care for Arena (especially since most servers are 24/7 one map) but will be interested in the saws for sure. And very interested in a new payload map. (Hopefully there's some more custom maps also included in this pack. Maybe some ones I haven't played a lot.)

Still seems like the Valve sanctioned customs aren't getting into server rotations though. Similar to DoD:S which is irritating since those maps are more comparable to Valve's than some of the TF2 ones.

none of the updates outside of medic have provided me new weapons that actually match my style of play. It's rather disappointing. Sniper has been promising thus far however.

Top Bottom