• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sp00ky's Stream Gear Seized by the Department of Homeland Security

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sp00ky said:
Thanks for the love guys. Well keep you updated as we find out more. keep in mind that while this is a setback its not insurmountable, though it does affect our ability to stream in the short term time.

Most likely we will just buy a near identical set of stuff, because we cant really depend on getting the old gear back. We're still not asking for donations towards that end - you guys donated a lot already for t12 and in the past, so between that and ad revenue we're going to just make due. Thank you for everyone who donated anyway though.

Sorry that there isn't a lot of info but even I don't really know why they stopped me. Some google searches on this have shown pretty much it is an almost common practice now.
Sp00ky's on GAF?

YO DAMN. GAF loves you Sp00ky and always has, we hope everything works out for you man. Nothing can keep Team Sp00ky down. Classic game streams to pass the time!

Fersis said:
Spooky will be talking with Gootecks on CrossCounter TV tonight and as a guest in FrameTrap.
When does CC.TV start?

I posted in the Mahvel thread already but this shit is so fucked up. Sp00ky is the hardest working guy in the game. SMH at people in this thread who can't respect a dude who quit his real job to service the community.

Good shit to Kotaku for looking out. Real good look for Crecente.

Did I miss Sp00ky on Frame Trap already..?

PKrockin

papersleeves said:
I don't know about you, but if DHS would refuse to give me those very papers I've asked for after they've seized my stuff, I would call my attorney right in front of their face to understand exactly what is going on and if they have the right to ignore my request.

Still, didn't know about that...Again, I do feel empathy and I wish them best of luck.

How you gonna do that without a cell phone?

checkmate

PKrockin said:
How you gonna do that without a cell phone?

checkmate
bUX1m.gif

I'm pretty sure (only a law student, not a lawyer) that this isn't even a Patriot Act issue. Basically, the government can search whatever it wants at the border, and at virtual borders (international airport terminals) without any particularized suspicion. This goes back to the Framers.

Just donated some to TS. Haven't done it in the past and figure I get so much enjoyment for free that I could pony up some dollars for the man.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You peasants actually thought you lived in a free society?

El.Oh.El

Our government does whatever they want, whenever they want to whoever they want and we are the only ones to blame because we always allow them to get away with it.

Shaheed79 said:

El.Oh.El

Our government does whatever they want, whenever they want to whoever they want and we are the only ones to blame because we always allow them to get away with it.
Welcome to like, 200 years ago, when US Customs was formed and granted border search authority.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neuromancer said:
Welcome to like, 200 years ago, when US Customs was formed and granted border search authority.
It's older than that buddy. Just because a corrupt and unfair system is old doesn't mean we the citizens shouldn't do what it takes to change it.

Privacy is a thing of the distant past. They use to have subvert the constitution and the bill of rights incognito. Now they do it out in the open and we still bend over and take like we deserve it. Our unwillingness to change this sad reality has similarities with the battered wife syndrome.

Shaheed79 said:
It's older than that buddy. Just because a corrupt and unfair system is old doesn't mean we the citizens shouldn't do what it takes to change it.

Privacy is a thing of the distant past. They use to have subvert the constitution and the bill of rights incognito. Now they do it out in the open and we still bend over and take like we deserve it. Our unwillingness to change this sad reality has similarities with the battered wife syndrome.
Well if we took border search authority away there'd be no way of controlling what came into the country, in cargo containers, suitcases or on people's persons. No one except the most extreme libertarians would be happy with that.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neuromancer said:
Well if we took border search authority away there'd be no way of controlling what came into the country, in cargo containers, suitcases or on people's persons. No one except the most extreme libertarians would be happy with that.
What are you even talking about? What does any of that have to do with them taking Spooky's laptop, cameras and phone? Where does it end? They can do whatever they want to any American citizen without a warrant or even probable cause. You have the right to shut up or go to jail. That's the opposite of freedom.

Shaheed79 said:

El.Oh.El

While I agree with you (I've had the FBI search my house just cuz I'm arab), I don't think there is a need for comments like that to antagonize those who might defend such things.

Bizazedo

I did it. I was the one who phoned in the anonymous tip to have Border Patrol pick these guys up.

/flex.

(Just kidding, but that actually happening wouldn't shock me).

Shaheed79 said:
What are you even talking about? What does any of that have to do with them taking Spooky's laptop, cameras and phone? Where does it end? They can do whatever they want to any American citizen without a warrant or even probable cause. You have the right to shut up or go to jail. That's the opposite of freedom.
It has everything to do with it. I think I explained it rather well.

I don't know what the officers' rationale for detaining his stuff was, but arguing their authority to do so is a dead end street.

Leetirl

Neo Member
Sp00ky said:
Thanks for the love guys. Well keep you updated as we find out more. keep in mind that while this is a setback its not insurmountable, though it does affect our ability to stream in the short term time.

Most likely we will just buy a near identical set of stuff, because we cant really depend on getting the old gear back. We're still not asking for donations towards that end - you guys donated a lot already for t12 and in the past, so between that and ad revenue we're going to just make due. Thank you for everyone who donated anyway though.

Sorry that there isn't a lot of info but even I don't really know why they stopped me. Some google searches on this have shown pretty much it is an almost common practice now.

Man, I'm so mad that they pulled this bullshit on you. I like your attitude though, it's not insurmountable by any means and the community is gonna back you up 100%. Thanks for the countless hours of entertainment buddy!

Shaheed79 said:
Welcome to America in 2011 if you paid any attention in the last 10 years.
You should know that Americans last about 75% of all their freedoms, the government can do what ever they want to anyone when ever.
Even as a tourist your stuff can and will be taken at the airport and if you do not comply you can leave the country immediately.
America as home to the free is long gone.

On topic, good that the fighting game community is getting spooky back up on its feet amazing to see how people are willing to support someone who has giving a lot to the community.

Ow and to spooky keep your chin up and the only 1 thing you can do now if work even harder and do not let this get to you.

Neuromancer said:
It has everything to do with it. I think I explained it rather well.

I don't know what the officers' rationale for detaining his stuff was, but arguing their authority to do so is a dead end street.

arguing their authority, yes. but, as with tsa, well worthy of anger & disgust at this point. particularly to the extent that their 'authority' looks more'n'more like 'license to do whatever the hell they wanna' every day...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I was apprehensive to post this reply but we cannot be afraid to say what really needs to be said on this issue. Not this time. This is too important.

The Dutch Slayer said:
Welcome to America in 2011 if you paid any attention in the last 10 years.
You should know that Americans last about 75% of all their freedoms, the government can do what ever they want to anyone when ever.
Even as a tourist your stuff can and will be taken at the airport and if you do not comply you can leave the country immediately.
America as home to the free is long gone.
You sound like me. However just because you already know that our freedoms are compromised doesn't mean that you shouldn't express concern and maybe even some good ol fashion outrage when something like this happens.

When these kind of things happen American's attitude seem to typically be; "Oh man that sucks." while simultaneously thinking; "Glad that didn't happen to me." when it just as easily could have been any of us.

Some of you think that I am overacting and maybe even rocking the boat too much but sometimes the boat needs rocking. Our communities will organize and go above and beyond to try to get a game we want to play localized, but something like this provokes a different reaction.

Americans are so afraid to "cause trouble", that they would even refuse to stand up for their own rights as private citizens which were written in our countries Bill of Rights to protect us.

Donating Team Sp00key money is commendable but it doesn't really fix what is broken as much as it is a temporary band-aid. What is to stop them from doing it again and again to the point where he just refuses to leave the country with his equipment? Even if you think it is unlikely to happen to him again that isn't the point.

Before this occurred Sp00ky was (and I hope continues to be) a trailblazer in what independent live streaming could offer. This is much bigger than simple video game streams. This is about freedom of information and the right to provide that information.

If we choose to not stand up for the rights of people like Sp00ky, and renounce the actions of Homeland Security on this matter, then who is going to do the same for you or me if and when they chose to do this to any one of us?

If you agree with me even a little bit but feel like "What else can we do besides donate more money to Team Sp00ky". Don't always assume we are powerless to change anything.

At the very least you can call or write your congressman (or better yet do both) and express your dissatisfaction to the way HS handles these kind of seizures. We can do this and get our point across without mentioning Sp00ky directly which is not an option without his permission.

If you so choose you can calmly call and/or write your congressman and tell them that you wish to express a grievance. Then simply describe the situation and let them know the service in which he was trying to provide for us and then explain why you feel it was a violation of our bill of rights for HS to confiscate his equipment without even a warrant or probable cause. Make sure you close by thanking them for their time.

If you know some friends who enjoy Sp00ky's stream then encourage them to do the same but be sure to instruct them NOT to give any information that could identify Sp00ky personally.

Unless Sp00ky says that it is ok, it is not our right to draw any attention to him specifically. Appealing to the media, for example the newspapers society/people section, might not have been a bad idea but something like that would be completely up to Sp00ky.

It sounds like he just wants to move on from this as quickly as possible and I completely respect that. I just pray they don't make a habit of this and discourage him from doing what he loves.

Top Bottom