• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

I am enjoying the game tremendously, but it is a shame that the creation tools are so absolutely terrible. It's about as rodust as Windows 95 Paint. Huge step back from LBP.

marrec

Banned
Game has instant appeal.

I showed my SO the pumpkin I made in the barn and she immediately said "Can I make a pumpkin?" and took the Vita from me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game almost deserves it's own photo thread. I had no idea the camera had capabilities like this.

Absolutely it does. Seeing as we're sharing here for now I'll add a few recent ones to the pile:

3581cc91a0cdd309337a7edcb06c0d2d30b7434d.jpg

ebf66695e406c9e818a770b8a4dcedfd098f4ec4.jpg

38785f0d0a23e67e0007c469ab69f466d01ff153.jpg

50c6794dc043146b2b9db5f4c131529d8e8b8baa.jpg

552225ce7e76f0c0979838237ddd30755c7ec19e.jpg

15920eb94df691bf9f977e78140f7d2ec7f624af.jpg

87dbf516e946b18edafb77916e9e44fd48a010af.jpg

6347d2d6d125503053955ebc1125be43c74ad464.jpg

ad895173aa9c7bd2d5b70dba802970159b560d97.jpg

0c69421c124e7495986af1e2572fac2768628c42.jpg

2a760afdaeebfe518d858400858dcfdc6657fd77.jpg

3c8e7e6e8b279ccb64b3d0292843354277dae329.jpg

960b5318f3457fd7b23783840c6860250ba9c2cf.jpg

cf8a3fbd8b9ab7ffb24973dbca07b8c541874db1.jpg

I have a handful of these Tearaway cell phone charms. How interested would TearawayGAF be if i held a creation contest with a pair of them as rewards?

Would be very interested indeed! Although judging by some of the creations on here, it's gonna be tough! Any ideas for a theme?

Edit:
Game has instant appeal.

I showed my SO the pumpkin I made in the barn and she immediately said "Can I make a pumpkin?" and took the Vita from me.

This too! My wife was watching when I came across the pig for the first time... when she saw you could decorate it, hells no she wasn't about to let me do it.

Flipyap

I am enjoying the game tremendously, but it is a shame that the creation tools are so absolutely terrible. It's about as rodust as Windows 95 Paint. Huge step back from LBP.
Creating a complex costume in LittleBigPlanet involved carving out pieces of scenery in the shape of your texture, taking a photo of that, then awkwardly slapping it onto your sack person's front half, leaving the character with a default butt side.
LBP's tools were better when it came to slapping dozens of predefined props onto stuff, but that's not what Tearaway is about.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd like to think I am a guy who isn't bowled over by gimmicks and 'innvoation for innovations' sake, that my cynicism goes too deep, is too finely woven into my personality for parlor tricks to do me in. Recently, there have been a slate of games that have challenged my perception of what should and should not qualify as a "quality" videogame, proving the truth to the statement some have made about my stringent critiques - that I was too closed-minded, too willing to dismiss good ideas for small problems. Journey from thatgamecompany completely shattered what I had expected to enjoy - it flew in the face of every single thing I usually look for in games and stood for everything I usually hate, and yet at the end of the experience I was left nearly breathless, something inaudibly "clicking" in my head, like a nuclear reactor being fired up for the first time in a decade. I sensed the cobwebs falling away, and I resisted what it meant. Was it time for me to bella gerant alii? I've thought about it, and I don't think so. But I do believe that I understand now why the industry needs things like Tearaway, even if it never goes on to mainstream success.

e82f32b96f8b0eed88d6d80c5785f3c9037b93a5.jpg
1acf793c15e71da5f68e795fb63fd6c182e55610.jpg

Playing Tearaway is like having a chat with a supermodel who also happens to be the most intelligent and engaging conversationalist you've ever encountered. You want to point out that she is a little full of herself, that maybe she's gotta work on some things, but you're too charmed to really bother saying them. That's what playing Tearaway is like. From the second I started playing, I wanted to love it... but I had some things I look for in games, things that tend to be the difference between when I love something and when I don't. The problem with this game for me (or the success of this game, rather) is that the second I really tried to bother saying why I had this issue or that issue, something immediately reminded me why I literally never for one second was able to wipe the smile off my face. Yes, the checkpoint system is ridiculously forgiving - sometimes pushing you even beyond an obstacle you have yet to finish. That's a problem! I know it! There are a myriad of little issues throughout, tiny niggles that would perhaps eat at the core of lesser games. But so much works so often that it stops mattering. Why would it matter when the level design is so often impressive, the controls tight and responsive? The big picture is what this game demands you to pay attention to, and for once the little issues begin to become background noise. Why does it matter as I sit on the precipice of some wondrous paper dreamscape, snapping instagram-ready classics with one of the best in-game cameras ever? Does it matter that I was inventing the engagement by much of my incessant photo snapping? The game provided the tools, they are amazing tools. And I really enjoyed myself, because of the mindblowing artistic direction and the wonderful camera options. I was a confetti paparazzi, trying to find the best angle and best filter to convey my point. I probably was really bad at it, but it was fun. It allowed me to do something that I would never be able to do in real life, which is photograph a incredible fantasy papercraft world.

Anyway, the point of all this camera conversation is simple. Before, my idea was that games needed to be "fun", and to accomplish that the focus was always on the most efficient, tight and deep game design. I still believe many genres require that to work, I do. But I realized at some point very recently that to me "fun" was limiting what I could expect out of games, as were my requirements. I don't need games to be fun, although in this case Tearaway was amazing fun. What I need is a game to provide compelling escapism, an outlet to experience themes and people and ideas that I don't necessarily come across in my daily grind. Sometimes that may be at the behest of the sort of tight game design I've always endorsed. But other times, perhaps more rarely, that escapsim can succeed by just being about the sheer joy of playing, that nearly incommunicable spark that you get when you load up a truly memorable game title for which there are no peers and no way to properly ground the experience.

2090ad93ff4fdc55a1b80c86343b12d572358c64.jpg
7ec99248cc8c42abbb6ba1e30e55e3c717a22f1b.jpg

Tearaway is one such experience. When I was looking forward to it initially, I was hoping for a tight platmormer with a gradually increasing challenge that eventually would encourage me to utilize all what I learned in clever and eventful ways. Mix that in with a compelling artistic direction, and I felt if it could do that, it would be a sure fire hit with me. But what I got wasn't that. I mean, that's not to say it is not a tight platformer at times. It is! It's also relentlessly forgiving, and you rarely lose even more than ten seconds of progress. The core mechanics feel right, Iota/Atoi have a really pleasant feel of momentum and bouncy-ness once jump is obtained. More shockingly to me, but most of the gimmick controls also function with a high degree of ease. Even more special, the reason you are interacting is specifically because you are a YOU, an actual element in the storyline, giving the game one of the most unsettling yet fascinating elements of intense immersion I've encountered in a game. It feels corny, and it is, but it's the type of cheesy that gnaws at your heartstrings, makes you see flashing images of you as a child dirtied up from playing baseball behind the abandoned lot, moves the ground beneath your feet and makes you reevaluate some of your priorities.

You will be prompted to take images of yourself. You will be asked to design creative images to put into the Tearaway world itself. At first these activities seem at best droll, a distraction merely to utilize the various functionalities of the PlayStation Vita. This was my biggest disappointment at first since I went into the game believing that such creative interactions were required to solve puzzles. Instead, none of the "creative moments" really considered what I made... it just wanted me to make anything, really. So I was miffed by the lack of skill requirement, when something finally starting working for me. Maybe it was the consistently amusing ways in which they required my "assistance." Perhaps it was hearing my own echo in a near psychadelic papercraft universe. Or it was having a legit horror game moment that I caused to myself which the game certainly didn't intend but it happened because of me participating in the experience (and that's a must, guys! Don't be lazy.). Oh, if you're interested in that horror story, SPOILER TAG DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU BEAT GAME:

There was a moment when the game wanted me to take a picture of my face. Later it would animate my face mouth opening and closing. Anyway, when it prompted me to take that image, I was in my bed in the pitch dark, and the camera was hardly picking up anything. Anyway, I did the color negative filter, in order so a face could be made out. The result was like one of those cheap horror film faces, looked pained and everything. Well, anyway... flash forward to the end of the game. Very last page of that "you" storybook, and that same face appeared again out of nowhere and I was seriously in silence in the dark so I jumped a little. DON'T JUDGE ME.

Anyway, the whole point is that once again my expectations were subverted, I was taught once more that maybe my clinical dismissals of everything that don't fit into neat categories needs occasional reevaluation. And I can't help but feel Tearaway is such a game. It embodies what I railed against for most of the Wii generation, many gimmicks for gimmicks sake. And yet despite all the odds, it works for me. To the point where I literally don't know if I'd want to play it any other way, which I guess is a me version of all those people who thought the atrocious Godfather was suddenly a good game with Wiimote controls.

531e26f95084bde4ed89f25112cbf4dcc2deaa8d.jpg
60551e3bb6b44fafdc32abec1a2b4c6b1bb08372.jpg

The ways it works are just too numerous to really list in one overview. The radiant, phenomenal construction paper art style is one of the most see-it-to-believe-it achievements in gaming visuals in a long time. The only way to properly convey what its victories are is to actually play Tearaway. It is extremely smooth for a Vita game, has a mostly always 30fps feel and bursts out of the OLED crispness with its vibrant rainbow papercraft world, a cornucopia of vivid colors featuring locations so varied and so consistently genius to traverse that it very often feels like it is putting other games to shame. Construction paper unfurls in a captivating stop motion-esque bit of animation. Rain drops are made out of confetti. Landscape twists and twirls, flaps and folds, a phantasmagoric imagery treat that when viewed through your camera lens often seems like a surrealist painting in motion. With few exceptions and despite a supremely easy challenge, most levels are consistently enjoyable to play, featuring stunning amounts of gameplay variety and design ingenuity and more than a few hidden secrets. It feels like it's being helmed by masters who are in love with the medium, individuals whom so completely understand the core of what makes a game attractive that they might as soon well be called Nintendo. Tearaway is THAT sort of achievement.

And it reflects that claim similarly in the level of polish and care that went into every aspect of the game. It would be a fucking sin for me not to mention, for example, the fact that it has one of the greatest game soundtracks of the year, perhaps of the generation. I could tell you to listen to The Traveler, a melancholy prayer that comes out of left field within the game, sets a mood completely unexpected, and has a sound like a sort of dying chipmunk barber shop quartet. Before, inexplicably, it also becomes badass. And all of this is reflected appropriately within the narrative. I felt like fucking Rocky running up the steps in Philadelphia as my journey so perfectly harmonized with Gibbet Hill - Pilgrimage. How they STILL managed to up that a notch when this shit drops @ 1m52s. That incredibly the game has BARN INSPIRED dubstep. There is so much audial variety that there is fucking Renassaince hop. I can't even describe it better than that.

45e514ab7fafdc3f090e059aacad1eee3192178b.jpg
65cb26ca89ed6a882321e57c4e6bdb352bc24be6.jpg

A marriage between visual (creatures and environments occasionally bob to the sounds as well), gameplay (
leading a fellow messanger out, one who has been unable to deliver his message for god knows how long
) and sound so impressive in unison that it feels as if none could exist without the other. Losing any part would immensely diminish the charm of the presentation and the enjoyment I derived. When you add it all up, it's one of the rare games where you are excited not only to see what gameplay opportunities come next, or to be a virtual sightseer in some beautiful world, but to listen to the musical genius provided by Kenneth Young and Brian D'Oliveira.

I wish I could articulate better why the summary of the gimmicks in this game finally worked for me where others did not. I wish I could explain better that the thematic underscoring of ones creativity and construction paper world made such gimmicks actually feel like a natural extension of the core game. I hope I can convey at least how any of the gimmicks - from the back touch finger to the rare use of the microphone - are never the least bit difficult or awkward to use, compounding why it slid through my proverbial donut hole. How when you get right to it, the intimacy of some of the interactions - from selfies to your finger breaking through the world to the You in the Sun - all contribute to immersing you in a narrative so specifically perfect to introducing these elements in a sensical way that you almost completely forget about it in about a half hour. It just works effectively together, or at least it does for me.

And, for the record, it also has a masterful ending to top off this sure-to-be gaming cult classic. From start to finish, there is hardly a single missed note, no matter how simple or challenging any individual moment was, it all seemed to fit perfectly into the space allotted to it, and nothing felt like it should be much of any different outside of some minor nuances. It is such a compact yet magnificently fulfilling package that I would have had no problem recommending it were it a 60 dollar game. A value is not derived purely from the hours you get, which Journey taught me. If that experience can convey something you cannot feel anywhere else and it is something you found profoundly pleasurable and moving, then it's a commodity as rare as Poudretteite. At six-to-eight hours, and probably up to ten if you really go wild with photos and secret finding as I did, there is not a single moment that overstays its welcome. It has excised any element that is unnecessary or that could be considered filling, and merely allowed simple curiosity to compel one to stay and spend more time. I could not and still cannot stop taking photos. Maybe you will take one photo and never participate in much of the creative opportunities, and in such a case I would geniunely suggest not to buy the game. But I think few people will be able to resist the disarming level of hand pulling and winking the game does at you, because it's just so effectively handled.

28d42606a5f42c35225c614d91f5b73e805cb331.jpg
bd4d9c5637abbf57abe80b5192af735c7b4a6877.jpg

I am prone to hyperbole. People know that, but it's because I am passionate about games. This hobby is one element that has partially defined my life, and I think if many others on GAF are honest with themselves they would say it was true. It's extemely influential for most of us, in one way or another. I think it's a very positive force in this world, and can be art as well as just simple fun. But I will say this about Tearaway: There was a bit at the end, which articulated in a single moment (which I won't spoil) everything the game had made me feel up until that point but I couldn't put my finger on it. The only way to describe it is... it felt like there was not a single responsibility in the world. For the time I spent in this game, everything around me evaporated and I was at true peace. It's funny because the only other time I've ever felt that way was as a boy... likely when I was sitting in my underwear playing something like Super Mario Bros. 3 or Earthbound.

This is not a game that should be compared to Super Mario 64 or any other game in that way. It is a disservice to Tearaway to do so actually. It invents expectations, and it shouldn't because there should be none. There are zero other games quite like Tearaway. And that's just the way I like it.
Killer post.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Omg your pumpkin is like the opposite version of my pumpkin:

I am EVIL PUMPKIN, you are CUTE PUMPKIN

have at thee, cute pumpkin! Thy cuteness is killing my soul! ;)

What are you talking about? My pumpkin is terrifying.

Love how the poses kind of match their personalities as well ;)

Wonderful epic post there, Amirox. Anyone from Mm frequent this forum? I'm sure they'd love to read your thoughts.

I just got back to this last night. Trying to get to the top of some hill so Atoi can deliver the message to me :) Such a wonderful and charming game; I honestly don't remember the last time I smiled so much when playing something. The visuals are indescribably brilliant, and the papercraft world makes everything look cute and charming. I've repeated myself there, but 'charming' is the most apt word to use when talking about this.

EDIT - I also just visited Tearaway.me for the first time too. Love the community stuff there. I haven't uploaded any photos yet, so I'll have to get snapping and upload some.

Strawman

Played the first hour last night and just had a huge grin on my face the whole time. Did everyone else find it hard to stop themselves gurning into the camera and waving every time the Sun appeared? Had to remind myself the world of Tearaway wasn't actually real :p

Mdk7

A few of my shots... it's cool cause i could care less about photos IRL, but here i keep taking them, as if i wanted to capture every single instant i live in this universe.
Plus the camera filters are SOOO good.

877475cba66721b92a16edc7d3f592cfbc290303.jpg

482692f73a5cc0e27e8db36aa990fb4cb6c75c65.jpg

323c4d1bd1aad2cb05556ecef71c33231217cc58.jpg

60f8dbfd2a7b0df587fce32fc2ee120071b6a457.jpg

7a60b9e4d5733f0c8473bd4f138214e5c84d49fb.jpg

2eea16786458635bf93ccd35c8e598d1f88370d1.jpg

8851f1c1f950b7d62b599921218bcdb424efd934.jpg

a3321a4b1eaf7ca4245f0926ebfea72682dd9494.jpg

6253803fc17a72b9c496ccb709310ecd5287d6f6.jpg

abd3e124e5e2809206516f3f7636cf0e7cf876db.jpg

29cd3802dc0639ec39e3aa660464f8f7e99ff820.jpg

45e6061e8afd20e5d06104f500c5b59e11eb9128.jpg

Man, I need to get back to this. Bought it, played an hour, then PS4 hit here in the Europe, then work and life continued to happen. Damn. Too many games.

Just one thing, though: how awesome is the unfurling of the paper bridges? Looks like stop-motion.

SToRM

Man, I need to get back to this. Bought it, played an hour, then PS4 hit here in the Europe, then work and life continued to happen. Damn. Too many games.
Same for me. I finished Killzone yesterday, so now I can finally continue playing Tearaway.
Reading the comments and seeing the pictures in this topic have made me really curious about the story and the ending.

SmokyDave

I'd like to think I am a guy who isn't bowled over by gimmicks and 'innvoation for innovations' sake...*snip*

...For the time I spent in this game, everything around me evaporated and I was at true peace. It's funny because the only other time I've ever felt that way was as a boy... likely when I was sitting in my underwear playing something like Super Mario Bros. 3 or Earthbound.

This is not a game that should be compared to Super Mario 64 or any other game in that way. It is a disservice to Tearaway to do so actually. It invents expectations, and it shouldn't because there should be none. There are zero other games quite like Tearaway. And that's just the way I like it.
Killer post, and hits my feelings on Tearaway on the nose, especially the bolded part.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
All of the animations are awesome, and the audio for them is spectacular.

Yup. I can't understand when people say "the animation looks jerky! What is this 10FPS!?" The main gameplay is consistently pretty damn smooth, and it's only with those special touch functions and cutscenes in which it adopts the semi-stop-motion style.

Great pics, Mdk7! I love this one in particular.

Lijik

My vita showed up today so after everything was all set up the first thing I did was pop in this game. Im not too far, took an extended "break" by messing with the customization stuff. Im a little after where you get the jump, and when I first got to the little stream I must have spent about five minutes just running around and watching the little paper splashes

This game has loads of charm right from the get-go, I love it

Keihart

This game looks so amazing, Sony should port it to the PS4.

Sony and MM should do one for PS4, like a completly new one, to show camera and control features, but the new MM game might just do that so it might be redundant. Anyhow, i hope Sackboy gets canned and Iota gets the spotlight, LBP never did anything for me, even though i tried to ejoy it.

Sony and MM should do one for PS4, like a completly new one, to show camera and control features, but the new MM game might just do that so it might be redundant. Anyhow, i hope Sackboy gets canned and Iota gets the spotlight, LBP never did anything for me, even though i tried to ejoy it.

I'd love to see more Tearaway, but I feel like it might be a franchise better kept to handhelds. Sony should make more efforts to have distinct handheld franchises and console franchises, like Nintendo. In my opinion.

Mdk7

Yup. I can't understand when people say "the animation looks jerky! What is this 10FPS!?" The main gameplay is consistently pretty damn smooth, and it's only with those special touch functions and cutscenes in which it adopts the semi-stop-motion style.

Great pics, Mdk7! I love this one in particular.

Thanks buddy! ^_O

Flipyap

Tearaway's entire world was designed around "tactile" interaction with the Vita. It would be a bummer to see it running on a device that can only make use of the camera stuff - the most superficial and pointless of Tearaway's witty gimmicks.

Number45

Tearaway's entire world was designed around "tactile" interaction with the Vita. It would be a bummer to see it running on a device that can only make use of the camera stuff - the most superficial and pointless of Tearaway's witty gimmicks.
The camera is amazing, and implemented well enough that people are sharing all kinds of shots. Far from a gimmick as far as I'm concerned, although obviously in no way integral to the game.

I agree that it should stay (and hopefully continue to shine) on the Vita, but I can't deny how much I'd love to see the style and paper tech on the PS4.

Trying to beat 2 more levels without dying to get my last two trophies. Pulling my hair out.

The camera angle being restricted during specific areas is super frustrating. It's also annoying when there's a rolling segment and the camera isn't pointed at where the paper path is leading to. Pretty bone headed IMO.

Flipyap

The camera is amazing, and implemented well enough that people are sharing all kinds of shots. Far from a gimmick as far as I'm concerned, although obviously in no way integral to the game.

I agree that it should stay (and hopefully continue to shine) on the Vita, but I can't deny how much I'd love to see the style and paper tech on the PS4.
I meant the Vita's (and by extension PS4's) crappy cameras. No one is sharing photos from that thing (except the exhibitionists, I guess). ;)

RalchAC

He isn't talking about the ingame camera but the actual hardware the PSVita and the PS4 have.

prophecy0

Wonderful post Amir0x. I just wanted to chime in and echo the love for this game. It's absolutely fantastic. As a platformer it's certainly not anywhere near perfect, but the entire game is just so damn fun and charming. I'm working on the platinum trophy and just need to beat the Fissure and Tear without dying. I got all the way to the end of the Tear last night then died on the freaking motion-control
planets right at the end because I was standing on one of the rings that flip when you move the Vita. I thought I was on one of the rings that rotate and poor Iota fell to his doom.
The platforming on this level is tricky because Iota doesn't cast a direct shadow underneath, and the camera angles like to change while you're navigating narrow floating platforms.

I've enjoyed seeing everyone's pumpkins. I'll have to save a picture of mine tonight so I can share. In the meantime, here's a pic of my Iota and King Squirrel (neither of which were super creative, unfortunately... I need to spend more time playing with construction paper).

49857ad9564077419d4164020bd955a0748640a5.jpg

b7946d60e1a3ab24692e800cd9e285a228f5b235.jpg

Yuterald

Man, don't want this game to end. About 50% done now. 100%'ing and revisiting stages as I play. Just finished the Lab stage and I think it was my favorite area of the game. The ability you get there, the platform-puzzles that make use of it and just the entire feel of the area clicked with me. I'm surprised I'm saying this, but this may end up being my favorite game on Vita. Right now it's a toss between Ys and Gravity Rush, but this game just feels so special, I don't know.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
wait ---- is that poo? there is papercraft poo in this game?!

How is it anything but poo?

Man, don't want this game to end. About 50% done now. 100%'ing and revisiting stages as I play. Just finished the Lab stage and I think it was my favorite area of the game. The ability you get there, the platform-puzzles that make use of it and just the entire feel of the area clicked with me. I'm surprised I'm saying this, but this may end up being my favorite game on Vita. Right now it's a toss between Ys and Gravity Rush, but this game just feels so special, I don't know.

If you feel like that now, you're done for ;) Report back after finishing!
The lab was indeed a great area. The music is great - it reminds me of the God Hand soundtrack, particularly 'Forgotten Song'. I love it when a game uses such an up-beat and ecclectic mix of sounds to portray a mood. Stays with me for a long time.

The Lab really clicked for me as well, was just perfect all around. After clearing it, I ended up unable to stop playing and finished the rest of the game in one long session.

These camera shots are insane.

The game is gorgeous, I'm really charmed by it. And I love the low(er) price it launched at (€25 here).

Hoping the sales do the game justice.

just wanted to pop in and say that i'm having a great time with this game. it's really unique and refreshing. not sure if anyone from MM will ever read this, but in the off chance they do - thank you for making this game, it's fantastic!

prophecy0

Some more screens:

330d3b21bd6b5ad6a424bfe259d57cad151221ef.jpg

ef7c5c3b455aee7fd3562b5a08e9810e197ab80f.jpg

6e274dc201909d7864961bcbed8d04740c136e55.jpg

bbda9ae95fb769797d26906fff675cc2415405bb.jpg

fc30b10b42974e46cb95395f778b828f291b049a.jpg

9d3f326b952743f3077cea86b9c4afc6e624c7e1.jpg

15fb70ba822fa3d825933e80cf30f2e103d66815.jpg

ceff49e80444e0eedd7d922a19cdb64d6509d5f5.jpg

3d6d600e4f725c98c0de6f36259639f78953109e.jpg

edit: It looks like Mdk7 posted a shot almost exactly identical to the one above earlier in this thread. I guess there was a papercraft model in that shot that we were both taking a picture of (I think it was a tree).

So, now that many of you have had this game for a few weeks. Is it truly as good as it looks? This game is tempting me so hard to buy a Vita.

Guys how do you edit your whole character? I know to hold and it takes you to edit mode. But I can only mess with his face, how do I get to the rest of his body?

Top Bottom