• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown - One of the most advanced destruction physics in a game

pr0cs

With exception to the commentator the video is very impressive. In particular the particle effects from fire/smoke. I've never seen anything remotely close to that done before.
Suggesting that the game isn't impressive because the voxel sets are too big is being disingenuous, the destruction and physics are very impressive. It would be very cool to see it put into a reusable engine and let people dick around with it. Even the AI being able to find paths after the environment has changed is also very cool

Tumle

Ah voxels, maybe Minecraft 2?

Or it should be implemented in some kind of asset swap with polygonal objects.
love the physics:)

Banned
I mentioned this in a different thread, but The creator of this worked on the Meqon physics engine back in the early 2000s. Duke Nukem Forever was at one point going to use it. I remember spending hours and hours playing through all the demos. This guy definitely knows his stuff, and I'm really eager to try out a demo if it's available.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
With voxels this is relatively easy to do. With polygons this is very hard to do. All major game engines use polygons to render environments efficiently. This makes it very hard to 'cut' pieces out of objects as you need to introduce more polygons dynamically, or have super high poly environments.

stranno

I'm still amazed by Red Faction Guerrilla's level of destruction and it was a last gen game (I recently played the remaster). It's a shame that most new games largely ignore advanced physics and destruction.
Its not always a matter of technology but gameplay. Its hard to make a fully destructible game while keeping the gameplay challenging and fun.

Thats why Saints Row series didn't receive the Geo-Mod engine.

xrnzaaas

Its not always a matter of technology but gameplay. Its hard to make a fully destructible game while keeping the gameplay challenging and fun.

Thats why Saints Row series didn't receive the Geo-Mod engine.
I still think it's a matter of prioritizing other things over serious destruction model. I mean sure for Red Faction it works for them that the game is taking place on Mars, but it could've worked for other settings as well, like for post-apocalyptic wastelands. Also I'm not talking about full destruction, even in RF Guerrilla you can't modify the terrain through destruction, other than things built by man you can only destroy small rocks in that game.

You can't just demonstrate a physics tech video without showing off water simulation. People only really give a shit about cool looking water. This is known.

True. Every sales pitch in a games shop starts with "the water graphics are awesome". The irony being water levels suck.

pr0cs

I'm still amazed by Red Faction Guerrilla's level of destruction
No game has come close yet. This recent video is pretty close though nothing in the video shows what happens when key structural parts are destroyed.. Stuff that would make it impossible for the structure to stay standing.

V4skunk

Banned
No game has come close yet. This recent video is pretty close though nothing in the video shows what happens when key structural parts are destroyed.. Stuff that would make it impossible for the structure to stay standing.
Watch the video again because the first 5 seconds shows structural parts being destroyed, you must be blind. This is the most advanced demonstration of physics ever implemented in real time that is playable.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Watch the video again because the first 5 seconds shows structural parts being destroyed, you must be blind. This is the most advanced demonstration of physics ever implemented in real time that is playable.
Maybe English isn't your first language but I said there is nothing in the video showing a multi level structure being destroyed on the ground floor weakening the integrity and causing the rest of the structure to collapse

This looks great, but hasn't the problem always been persistence and performance? We've been able to enter a relatively empty map and destroy objects for decades, but it is object interaction with one another and object persistence that really sells the illusion. At some point, you're going to run against upper memory limits. Even Minecraft can (theoretically) max out the best gaming rig if you tell it to load enough of the world at once.

Birdo

Banned
Red Faction Gueirilla is still king (At least on console)

It's kind of depressing that it hasn't been challenged in all these years.

pr0cs

Red Faction Gueirilla is still king (At least on console)

It's kind of depressing that it hasn't been challenged in all these years.
What's strange is that we never got a current Gen version of that physics / destruction. I can't imagine how much better, more realistic it could have been with the fast CPU and considerably more memory.
Shame that volition was in such bad shape for the ps4 xbone Gen, I seriously hope they are able to revisit this tech next Gen.
Clearly they still have the source since we got a re-mars-terd version of Guerrilla. Why they haven't done anything outside of a remaster is disappointing to me

CHEROKEEE

I still havent given up up hope, that one day we might get a JUST CAUSE game with THIS Level of Destructibility ....*sigh* maybe on PS5.

Keihart

That looks super cool, but i still think that the best implementation to date is RS6, just because how instrumental it is in the gameplay and how manages to not be that resource intensive while looking alright:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
giphy.gif

DonF

Looks great, as a first step. Voxels this big now, are going to be very little in no time. Its like ray tracing, the more rays, the better it looks, right? This is the same but in the size of the pixel/voxel.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Looks great, as a first step. Voxels this big now, are going to be very little in no time. Its like ray tracing, the more rays, the better it looks, right? This is the same but in the size of the pixel/voxel.
It kind of reminds me of playing thru half life 2 and realizing that the physics were something not really done before as integrated in a gameplay mechanic. HL2 when you have to use floating barrels to raise the platform comes to mind.
Certainly with an engine like this you could make some pretty cool physics puzzles well beyond simply shooting holes in walls

Why are people only talking about the physics for solid objects when we also see smoke and fire and enemy A.I. react more realistically? Seeing the many different changes, not just destruction, is what makes it more impressive for me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These kinds of videos come out every once in a while. Just like Epic will release some cool Unreal Engine demo videos.

These kinds of canned videos look great...... in a demo. Let's see how it works real time in a game.

Epic released The Samaritan video in 2011 promoting Unreal Engine 3 (yes 3, not 4!). There are zero games that look that good. I don't even think any games using UE 4 look that good using the latest rigs in 2019.

Last edited:

lestar

this with ray tracing is the future of graphics. Polygons are reaching the diminishing returns. Sure, we are reaching photorealism, but using only raster tricks to simulate how the real world looks, but not how it behaves. We all see how in this generation physics and fluids simulations got stagnated, even lighting had reach diminishing returns to the point of the need to use real time ray tracing this early.

Release date for the Early Access version has slipped from the original "early 2020" to "second half of 2020".

In the mean time, here's some new videos and screenshots:

Top Bottom