• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown - One of the most advanced destruction physics in a game

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have to say, what’s impressive is not just the destruction, but the physics in how the destruction is applied.

It’s one thing to make everything break apart into voxels, every single hit having roughly the same effect. It’s entirely another to have everything have real destructive properties and semi-real world resistance.

A good example is the dent in the bumper. The game knows that a typical voxel explosion, or falling to pieces, wouldn’t make sense for the material and speed, and thus the bumper just folds in on itself with a huge dent, like in real life.

Bartski

Gold Member
Every time a new generation comes around, this is the direction I wished were heading in, instead of "OMG LOOK AT THESE TEXTURES NOW!"
I am kind of disappointed how little progress has been made this gen in areas with so much obvious room for improvement, such as collision and I really hope this will be the big change with PS5/XseX, rather than pushing towards photorealism

Bartski

Gold Member
Apparently no one here played Control.
Control was fine and quite impressive but still very limited in my opinion, as the damage was temporary spawning back to clean as soon as you left a room, which made it feel super non-consequential and diminished all the impact. I totally understand why they made it so and hope in next-gen all the mayhem you cause will become a permanent mark on the game world

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
looks amazing. Just release it!
I just want a sandbox mode with few maps and all kinds of destruction I want

clem84

Gold Member
The most amazing part of this technology is how scalable it seems to be. This tech could be used, and improved, for many years to come and if you just want to take advantage of better CPUs/GPUs, you just need to make "smaller" voxels. In time they could do truly spectacular things with the tech.

Dr.Morris79

looks amazing. Just release it!
I just want a sandbox mode with few maps and all kinds of destruction I want
Ha! I was the same, I checked the thread date, went to Steam and it's still unavailable..

What the hell. Stop yapping and release it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Watched the helicopter video, and while destruction almost makes for unique experiences it seems like everything is just a different coloured but equally weak block. If there are plans to change this, I think it would do the game justice. This looks like it plays more like Lego than an evolution of Red Faction/Bad Company 2/other destruction element games, which cheapens it somewhat.

-YFC-

Voxels ftw. Man this so amazing. This is much more impressive to me then ultra fidelity graphics.

Grinchy

Banned
That newest video was probably the least impressive showing of it I've seen so far. Everything looks bland, the "bridge thing" didn't even fall down, the voxels all spill out and disappear, ect.

The original area is way more impressive.

Great Hair

Banned
Was more impressed playing Battlefield Bad Company and blowing up stuff.

Piloting the yacht into the peer looks like fun.
You do that like 10x times and it get´s boring really fast.
The physics don't seem to work properly yet.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I swear the teasing goes on for too long.
And that bluedrake guy is overhyping everything to hell. I stopped clicking his clickbait long ago.

GymWolf

Is there anything else with this level of physics that looks better currently or nah?
Noita make this game looks like child stuff in terms of destruction and materials interactions but the graphic is very simple.

Last edited:
Noita make this game looks like child stuff in terms of destruction and materials interactions but the graphic is very simple.
Looked it up - it’s 2d? I’m talking more 3D. Man I really hope they innovate in this area more this gen I’ve been waiting for realistic destruction and material reactions and water physics and stuff since I started gaming. And there’s been a very negligible improvement in mainstream games.

GymWolf

Looked it up - it’s 2d? I’m talking more 3D. Man I really hope they innovate in this area more this gen I’ve been waiting for realistic destruction and material reactions and water physics and stuff since I started gaming. And there’s been a very negligible improvement in mainstream games.
Yes it's 2d, it's also the most advanced physics system in a game to date because every pixel is physically simulated.

I'll be impressed when this is used in realtime in stuff that doesn't look like legos.

That’s probably not going to happen until next next gen or next next next gen. I can’t wait until we have the power to sim sand sized particles using voxels with ray traced graphics. We’ll be basically creating a new universe when we can sim atom sized particles.

The more we get closer to it the more it seems like the real universe is based on computer programming like laws.

Top Bottom