• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got this idea from the "Official I NEED A NEW PC!!!" thread, a lot of assorted tech support and maintenance questions were thrown about in there and since they weren't all new pc-building or even hardware related, I figured the great minds of GAF could come together in this thread to help people with PC-related tech support issues and so on and so forth.

This OP can be updated with helpful guides, FAQs, etc.

If you have a PC problem, post it here!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A bracket for the X button my my laptop keyboard broke. Where can I cheaply get a replacement?

clav

Drkirby said:
A bracket for the X button my my laptop keyboard broke. Where can I cheaply get a replacement?
eBay usually has individual letter parts.

If you don't want to do that, then just swap the keyboard out. Also on eBay.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Laptop keyboards tend to be proprietary and come in like a zillion configurations, so your best (only?) bet might be contacting the manufacturer. I have a feeling that "cheap" won't be your result of that, so...

http://www.iraqigeek.com/2006/07/19/repairing-a-laptop-keyboard/

Quite a nice guide- it involves finding the cheapest "slim" desktop keyboard you can find around, the kind that will have the same silicone membrane as a regular laptop keyboard, and popping out a bracket, then doing the repair yourself. Worth checking out at least.

EDIT: Above poster is correct, actually there are full keyboard replacements on ebay you could probably find for your model, but they seem to be in the $50 to $100 range, so definitely check for individual letters or check out the stuff above.

On my laptop, whenever I'm watching youtube or any other streaming video in a browser, if I fullscreen the video the framerate goes to shit. The audio gets choppy as well. It doesn't matter if it's a low res or "HQ" youtube video, non-fullscreen = smooth, fullscreen = shit. mpeg, quicktime, etc. videos outside a browser are fine. The one exception I've found is Netflix, which still looks smooth after fullscreening. Netflix uses Silverlight, so I'm guessing this is an issue of my laptop not being able to scale Flash videos very well. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The laptop is a Dell Vostro 1500
Core 2 duo 1.6 GHz
Vista Business SP1
2 GB RAM
Geforce 8400M GS

Oh, and the system resolution is 1440x900. I tried turning it down to 800x600, and fullscreening a flash video STILL makes it choppy.

Red

Drkirby said:
Could you live without a lesser used button? Say, snap off one your windows or cntrl keys and use it to cover the X, or at least use the brackets to replace your X's?

This may help.

I have a webcam/Windows Live Messenger issue.

When using the videophone feature, whenever I am talking, I can't hear what the other person is saying. Like it is just one way. Once I stop talking, I can hear the other person fine. It's like it mutes the other person while I am talking. It makes conversations difficult.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change, or is that just how it works?

Samara

Ok Boys, when I right click anything on my PC it closes and says Windows Explorer has stopped working and will restart. So In terms, if I want to watch a movie or delete something off my desktop, I can't. Been 2 months:help

edit: On Vista

Bananakin

Well, I recently made a thread about a problem I've been having. I'm sure many people already saw it, but I'll repost it here just in case.

Bananakin said:
Help me out here, computer-gaf. For a while now, I've been noticing that my computer stutters every once in a while. This has been extremely annoying for watching youtube videos, as I lose a good half-second every time it stutters. Makes the videos nigh-unwatchable. Of course, it's happening all the time, but it's most noticeable when I'm watching a video. Anyway, I eventually noticed that the stuttering seemed fairly regular, so I decided to time it. Turns out that it stutters every six seconds, on the second, with remarkable consistency.

Now, tonight, I happened to glance at the performance tab on the task manager, and I noticed that it looked a little odd:

untitled.jpg

See those spikes? They represent my cpu usage jumping to 80% for no goddamn reason. And surprise, surprise, the spikes occur every six seconds exactly.

So, has anyone seen anything like this before/have any idea what it might be? I've tried closing all background programs that I have running, to no avail. Could it be some update-checker that runs in the background that I can't close? Maybe a virus? Driver issue? I really have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyway, to follow up on questions asked in that thread: It's certainly not browser related - the cpu usage spikes even with no applications running. Also, my hard drive is pretty new (5 or 6 months old), so I wouldn't have thought that would be the problem. Also, I did a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and got nothing. No clue other than that.

btw, great idea for a thread.

clav

Parallax Scroll said:
On my laptop, whenever I'm watching youtube or any other streaming video in a browser, if I fullscreen the video the framerate goes to shit. The audio gets choppy as well. It doesn't matter if it's a low res or "HQ" youtube video, non-fullscreen = smooth, fullscreen = shit. mpeg, quicktime, etc. videos outside a browser are fine. The one exception I've found is Netflix, which still looks smooth after fullscreening. Netflix uses Silverlight, so I'm guessing this is an issue of my laptop not being able to scale Flash videos very well. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The laptop is a Dell Vostro 1500
Core 2 duo 1.6 GHz
Vista Business SP1
2 GB RAM
Geforce 8400M GS

Oh, and the system resolution is 1440x900. I tried turning it down to 800x600, and fullscreening a flash video STILL makes it choppy.
So, I suppose this happens with any browser? Firefox/IE/Chrome/Opera?

What flash version are you running? Flash 9? Try uninstalling and downloading the latest one.

Are you using any AV software/Internet Security suites?

Also a side note. Update your Vista to SP2.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I have a webcam/Windows Live Messenger issue.

When using the videophone feature, whenever I am talking, I can't hear what the other person is saying. Like it is just one way. Once I stop talking, I can hear the other person fine. It's like it mutes the other person while I am talking. It makes conversations difficult.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change, or is that just how it works?

Sounds like a driver issue. What kind of video cam you have? OS, version?

MSN and Skype work fine with my Xbox 360 video camera. I use a bluetooth headset to connect.

sweetwasabi said:
Ok Boys, when I right click anything on my PC it closes and says Windows Explorer has stopped working and will restart. So In terms, if I want to watch a movie or delete something off my desktop, I can't. Been 2 months:help

OS? Do you use any security/malware/internet suite software?

Bananakin said:
Well, I recently made a thread about a problem I've been having. I'm sure many people already saw it, but I'll repost it here just in case.

Anyway, to follow up on questions asked in that thread: It's certainly not browser related - the cpu usage spikes even with no applications running. Also, my hard drive is pretty new (5 or 6 months old), so I wouldn't have thought that would be the problem. Also, I did a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and got nothing. No clue other than that.

btw, great idea for a thread.

What are your computer specs? Have you really tried using other browsers? Post your experience in each browser for playing flash. Flash is supposed to be CPU intensive. Also again, do you run AV software? What kind?

claviertekky said:
So, I suppose this happens with any browser? Firefox/IE/Chrome/Opera?

What flash version are you running? Flash 9? Try uninstalling and downloading the latest one.

Are you using any AV software/Internet Security suites?

Also a side note. Update your Vista to SP2.
Good suggestions. I've tried this with Firefox 3.1.x and 3.5.3, and I'm pretty sure I've gotten the same behavior in chrome and IE.

I'm running AVG. I don't think it's doing scheduled full system scans though.

Not really sure which Flash version I'm running. Pretty sure it's 9.

And I didn't even realize there was a SP2 for Vista. Thanks for the heads up.

Once I get my desktop PC working, I think I'll just format the laptop. It's due for one. Then I'll see if this issue persists on a fresh Windows install.

clav

Parallax Scroll said:
Good suggestions. I've tried this with Firefox 3.1.x and 3.5.3, and I'm pretty sure I've gotten the same behavior in chrome and IE.

I'm running AVG. I don't think it's doing scheduled full system scans though.

Not really sure which Flash version I'm running. Pretty sure it's 9.

And I didn't even realize there was a SP2 for Vista. Thanks for the heads up.

Once I get my desktop PC working, I think I'll just format the laptop. It's due for one. Then I'll see if this issue persists on a fresh Windows install.
MM... not particularly a fan of AVG, especially the latest one.

I prefer Avira although the process of disabling the pop-up ads in the free version may sound scary (and also Avira is not Windows Live Messenger friendly). You can also try Microsoft Security Essentials as it is a very friendly solution.

However, before any of this, was there ANY security software on this computer before? I know Dell loves installing either McAffee or Norton trial software.

You'll need to remove traces as both of these companies have TERRIBLE uninstallers. Please reply back.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
claviertekky said:
and also Avira is not Windows Live Messenger friendly

How come? I'm running Avira (which is far better than AVG IMO, as it's not as much of a resource hog as AVG), and it works just fine with WLM for me.

Bananakin

claviertekky said:
What are your computer specs? Have you really tried using other browsers? Post your experience in each browser for playing flash. Flash is supposed to be CPU intensive. Also again, do you run AV software? What kind?

Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, 2GB ram, graphics card GeForce 7300 GS.

Yeah, I've tried other browsers. Same thing happens in both Chrome and Firefox. No difference in terms of playing flash. I actually haven't tried IE...I would, but for some reason it's not working right now. It's actually kinda weird, can't even load google. Don't know what's up with that.

For anti-virus software, I run AVG. I have it set to do a scan once a week.

claviertekky said:
Sounds like a driver issue. What kind of video cam you have? OS, version?

MSN and Skype work fine with my Xbox 360 video camera. I use a bluetooth headset to connect.

I too am using the Xbox 360 video camera, and the Xbox 360 controller/headset for the mic. Windows Vista.

clav

Combichristoffersen said:
How come? I'm running Avira (which is far better than AVG IMO, as it's not as much of a resource hog as AVG), and it works just fine with WLM for me.
Hm. I could learn something from here.

What's the path direction that you use for MSN to share pictures/files? I directed it to the .exe which I thought was the scanner, but it gives me a pop up error message.

My friends still send files fine. It's just there is an error pop up every time I receive something. The file still goes through.

Bananakin said:
Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, 2GB ram, graphics card GeForce 7300 GS.

Yeah, I've tried other browsers. Same thing happens in both Chrome and Firefox. No difference in terms of playing flash. I actually haven't tried IE...I would, but for some reason it's not working right now. It's actually kinda weird, can't even load google. Don't know what's up with that.

For anti-virus software, I run AVG. I have it set to do a scan once a week.

Hm. IE is not loading. That's a sure sign of some spyware infection although you did claim you used malwarebytes to check. I'll update this later.

Do you remember when it started happening? I'm sure you watch youtube videos every day.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I too am using the Xbox 360 video camera, and the Xbox 360 controller/headset for the mic. Windows Vista.

Are you trying to receive your messages through the headset? That could be a problem.

I'll try this setup sometime as I do have the controller/headset and receiver for PC. For a temporary fix, try replaying your receiving sound through speakers.

Dear Tech support,

my hard drive failed last week, it was only 1 year old. I have fitted a new drive, everything runs fine but I don't have the 'recovery' directory under 'my computer' like I used to, I just have the single 'C:'.

What is the recovery folder that I'm missing, do I need it and, if so, how do I get it?

claviertekky said:
MM... not particularly a fan of AVG, especially the latest one.

I prefer Avira although the process of disabling the pop-up ads in the free version may sound scary (and also Avira is not Windows Live Messenger friendly). You can also try Microsoft Security Essentials as it is a very friendly solution.

However, before any of this, was there ANY security software on this computer before? I know Dell loves installing either McAffee or Norton trial software.

You'll need to remove traces as both of these companies have TERRIBLE uninstallers. Please reply back.
Interesting. AVG was pretty good maybe 5 years ago, so I've just stuck with it since. I can't really remember if the Dell came with any Norton or McAfee on it. I probably opted out of them when I ordered the laptop if I had the chance.

I'll be formatting this soon and using a plain old Vista disc (I'd use win7, but I'm using my MSDNAA license on the desktop already) without any dell crap on it. So if there's any Norton/Mcafee stuff on there now, it'll be gone for good soon.

If AVG sucks these days, then I'm willing to switch to something else. The biggest quality I would want in a new security solution, besides providing adequate protection, is that it stays out of my face. I'd like it to auto-update without even telling me, if possible.

So Avira and the Microsoft one are good choices these days?

clav

PumpkinPie said:
Dear Tech support,

my hard drive failed last week, it was only 1 year old. I have fitted a new drive, everything runs fine but I don't have the 'recovery' directory under 'my computer' like I used to, I just have the single 'C:'.

What is the recovery folder that I'm missing, do I need it and, if so, how do I get it?

Recovery directory...? What did it contain? What OS do you run?

And about your failed hard drive? What was it? Manufacturer/ Model # / Firmware?

Seagate ran into a bunch of issues last year with hard drives killing themselves due to firmware that screws up the drive.

Parallax Scroll said:
Interesting. AVG was pretty good maybe 5 years ago, so I've just stuck with it since. I can't really remember if the Dell came with any Norton or McAfee on it. I probably opted out of them when I ordered the laptop if I had the chance.

I'll be formatting this soon and using a plain old Vista disc (I'd use win7, but I'm using my MSDNAA license on the desktop already) without any dell crap on it. So if there's any Norton/Mcafee stuff on there now, it'll be gone for good soon.

If AVG sucks these days, then I'm willing to switch to something else. The biggest quality I would want in a new security solution, besides providing adequate protection, is that it stays out of my face. I'd like it to auto-update without even telling me, if possible.

So Avira and the Microsoft one are good choices these days?
Yes, Avira and the free MS one are excellent AV protection programs although choose one. Don't run both. :)

Since you're reinstalling soon, I guess you could try what's below, but reinstallation should fix your problem.

Well for future reference, after using the official uninstaller, if people want to make sure they completely uninstalled security software, use these tools:

Norton/Symantec : http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

McAfee: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Note: Please elevate the task to "Administrator level" when using these tools.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
claviertekky said:
Hm. I could learn something from here.

What's the path direction that you use for MSN to share pictures/files? I directed it to the .exe which I thought was the scanner, but it gives me a pop up error message.

My friends still send files fine. It's just there is an error pop up every time I receive something. The file still goes through.

Ah, OK. Now I see what you mean :lol It wouldn't work as a virus scanner in WLM for me neither (I did exactly like you did, directed WLM to the .exe file, and got the pop-up), so I installed Microsoft Security Essentials so as to use that for scanning files in WLM (r.. at least I think it works). That said, it's supposedly possible to make Avira work with WLM, although I can't be arsed to jump through all those hoops: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=333126

Or you could eventually try the Avira command line scanner:
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/764704

clav

Combichristoffersen said:
Ah, OK. Now I see what you mean :lol It wouldn't work as a virus scanner in WLM for me neither (I did exactly like you did, directed WLM to the .exe file, and got the pop-up), so I installed Microsoft Security Essentials so as to use that for scanning files in WLM (r.. at least I think it works). That said, it's supposedly possible to make Avira work with WLM, although I can't be arsed to jump through all those hoops: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=333126

Or you could eventually try the Avira command line scanner:
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/764704
Thanks. I still use Avira. I just click OK on the error dialog. I'll try these out later.

KillerAJD

sweetwasabi said:

edit: On Vista
Do you use the latest Firefox for browsing the web? There is a problem with the latest Firefox that a bunch of people are running into (including myself) where after using it for awhile, anytime you right click it will crash Windows Explorer. Try uninstalling Firefox, and see if the problem persists. If it only crashes with Firefox installed, you may just have to live with it, since there doesn't seem to be a fix other than not use Firefox atm. It might just be something completely different though.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Firefox won't remember my browsing history. Nothing comes up when i enter a website in the url bar. All my settings appear to be good, cookies set to remain until they expire etc. I tried a number of different things but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Using XP and Firefox 3.5.3.

claviertekky said:
Are you trying to receive your messages through the headset? That could be a problem.

I'll try this setup sometime as I do have the controller/headset and receiver for PC. For a temporary fix, try replaying your receiving sound through speakers.

OK I just changed it. Will let you know if this works! Thanks!

Bananakin

claviertekky said:
Hm. IE is not loading. That's a sure sign of some spyware infection although you did claim you used malwarebytes to check. I'll update this later.

Do you remember when it started happening? I'm sure you watch youtube videos every day.

Okay, I reset IE and it's working now. Not sure what was going on there. This was the first time I had opened it in months, though. Anyway, checked youtube and the same thing is happening. Still stutters every six seconds, no difference.

As for a time frame, this has been happening for quite a while. Months, I'd say. It was only me looking at the cpu usage and seeing the spikes that prompted me to make the thread. Up til then I had been kind of grudgingly putting up with it.

clav

NinjaFridge said:
Firefox won't remember my browsing history. Nothing comes up when i enter a website in the url bar. All my settings appear to be good, cookies set to remain until they expire etc. I tried a number of different things but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Using XP and Firefox 3.5.3.
Tried the set as default command (original settings)? Do that first.

If this doesn't work, it may be time for you to delete all your firefox settings. Back your bookmarks up. Remember what extensions you've installed.

To do this in XP:

1. Close Firefox completely. Open up Windows Explorer. Go to Tools -> Folder Options.
2. Under the View tab, show all your hidden files and settings.
3. Go to the path: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\
4. There will be a hidden folder called Application Data or appdata. Open it.
5. Go to the Mozilla Folder (then Firefox).
6. Delete the Firefox folder.
7. Reopen Firefox. Reinstall bookmarks/extensions.

clav

Bananakin said:
Okay, I reset IE and it's working now. Not sure what was going on there. This was the first time I had opened it in months, though. Anyway, checked youtube and the same thing is happening. Still stutters every six seconds, no difference.

As for a time frame, this has been happening for quite a while. Months, I'd say. It was only me looking at the cpu usage and seeing the spikes that prompted me to make the thread. Up til then I had been kind of grudgingly putting up with it.

I've been reading a bit into this as I remember some of my friends had the same issue. My solution in the past was to reformat and upgrade to Vista (now I would say 7). Some say it could be a video driver problem, but I doubt it since flash is entirely cpu dependent.

How about this. Post a hijackthis log for me.

http://www.hijackthis.de/downloads/HJTInstall.exe

Do a system scan and reply back the log file for me. DO NOT CHECK ANYTHING IN THOSE DIALOG BOXES.

Use the
Code:
 or [QUOTE] function when you do.  Please reply back.  I think I know another solution to try out.

Bananakin

claviertekky said:
I've been reading a bit into this as I remember some of my friends had the same issue. My solution in the past was to reformat and upgrade to Vista (now I would say 7). Some say it could be a video driver problem, but I doubt it since flash is entirely cpu dependent.

How about this. Post a hijackthis log for me.

http://www.hijackthis.de/downloads/HJTInstall.exe

Do a system scan and reply back the log file for me. DO NOT CHECK ANYTHING IN THOSE DIALOG BOXES.

Alright, here's what I get:

Code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:54:19 PM, on 10/18/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\1.2.183.7\GoogleCrashHandler.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\FreeAgent Status\StxMenuMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Air Mouse\Air Mouse\Air Mouse.exe
C:\Program Files\FirefoxPreloader\FirefoxPreloader.exe
C:\Program Files\KatMouse\KatMouse.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMonTaskbar.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\Sync\FreeAgentService.exe
C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\bin\openvpnas.exe
C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\HssWPR\hsssrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\bin\openvpntray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Hotspot Shield Class - {F9E4A054-E9B1-4BC3-83A3-76A1AE736170} - C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\hssie\HssIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UltraMon] "C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe" /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxMenuMgr] "C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\FreeAgent Status\StxMenuMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: KatMouse.lnk = C:\Program Files\KatMouse\KatMouse.exe
O4 - Startup: Left Monitor.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Air Mouse.lnk = C:\Program Files\Air Mouse\Air Mouse\Air Mouse.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Firefox Preloader.lnk = C:\Program Files\FirefoxPreloader\FirefoxPreloader.exe
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase5483.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1234286372468
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~4\GOEC62~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Seagate Service (FreeAgentGoNext Service) - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\Sync\FreeAgentService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.8.809.8522 (GoogleDesktopManager-090808-172447) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c98bc91d95c814) (gupdate1c98bc91d95c814) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Hotspot Shield Service (HotspotShieldService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\bin\openvpnas.exe
O23 - Service: Hotspot Shield Helper Service (HssSrv) - AnchorFree Inc. - C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\HssWPR\hsssrv.exe
O23 - Service: Hotspot Shield Tray Service (HssTrayService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\bin\HssTrayService.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 9752 bytes

Thanks for looking into this.

claviertekky said:
Recovery directory...? What did it contain? What OS do you run?

And about your failed hard drive? What was it? Manufacturer/ Model # / Firmware?

Seagate ran into a bunch of issues last year with hard drives killing themselves due to firmware that screws up the drive.

It was Seagate, 500GB 7200rpm I think. It failed right after a Windows update, I shut the computer down and then later when I booted up it said there was no hard drive detected. I could hear the drive spinning but it no longer made the loading sound (you know, BRRR BRRRRR etc...).

I don't know what the recovery directory contained, I assume it was a backup in case Windows screwed up to a point where a system restore wouldn't fix it, I don't really know TBH. It was just a partition on the hard drive that showed up as something like 'E: Recovery'

The computer is a Dell XPS 420, OS Vista home premium 32. Out of warranty BTW, I upgraded it as soon as I bought it a year ago and have had no problems whatsoever until now.

PumpkinPie said:
Dear Tech support,

I'm assuming mean the extra "D:" partition that's the "Recovery Partition."

If it's a new HDD, you won't have the "Recovery Partition" anymore since it was unique to the original drive.

It would have to have been created one of two ways. You attempted an exact clone of the original HDD and it was successful or you have an original set of the PC's OEM recovery discs that would recreate the "Recovery Partition". Not all manufacturer's OEM discs would recreate it though, like Dells wouldn't (Dell though tends to give you both the recovery partition and the recovery discs to have yourself covered either-way) but some HP and Toshiba's would.

clav

Bananakin said:
Thanks for looking into this.

Wow. I didn't realize AVG had so many processes.

Just curious. What do you use hotspot shield for?

Nothing really suspicious except this.

Code:

Run the hijackthis program, scan, select that line, and select fix. Scan again to make sure it's not there any more.

Now, I was thinking a bit, and it could be that your youtube video is cacheing? Hence the 6 second pause/blip when you are viewing.

So, let's try this.

Grab a copy of ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

For the installation, I would strongly uncheckmark the following:

*Add Desktop Shortcut
*Add Ccleaner Yahoo! Toolbar and use ccleaner from your browser.

Install and run.

Now time to configure:

Under the windows tab

IE: uncheckmark history (if you want to keep it). If not, let it be.
System: Uncheckmark your recycle bin if you have files in there that you might still want. If not, let it be.
Advanced: Since you are a XP user, I strongly suggest you checkmark the Windows hotfix uninstallers. These are taking up space and you do not need them.

Under the applications tab
Here, you'll see your other browser settings. Just make sure your delete internet cache one is check although I strongly suggest erasing everything (aside from saved forms and history)

When you are ready, hit the run cleaner button.

If you want to you can clean up your registry. Generally, I clean up everything in that section. I haven't had a problem with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right. If this doesn't work either, uninstall your flash. I remember one of my friends had a problem that Chrome absolutely hated the latest flash update and had to downgrade it in order to have his youtube videos working properly. Go to your add/remote programs and uninstall anything with flash. Restart.

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP and download the latest one after you are done with that.

clav

sweetwasabi said:
Vista. I have Avast. But this started about 2 months ago. i have avast since like 2 years
Hm. Did you any AV software beforehand though? Try KillerAJD's suggestion and post back.

KillerAJD said:
Do you use the latest Firefox for browsing the web? There is a problem with the latest Firefox that a bunch of people are running into (including myself) where after using it for awhile, anytime you right click it will crash Windows Explorer. Try uninstalling Firefox, and see if the problem persists. If it only crashes with Firefox installed, you may just have to live with it, since there doesn't seem to be a fix other than not use Firefox atm. It might just be something completely different though.

PumpkinPie said:
It was Seagate, 500GB 7200rpm I think. It failed right after a Windows update, I shut the computer down and then later when I booted up it said there was no hard drive detected. I could hear the drive spinning but it no longer made the loading sound (you know, BRRR BRRRRR etc...).

I don't know what the recovery directory contained, I assume it was a backup in case Windows screwed up to a point where a system restore wouldn't fix it, I don't really know TBH. It was just a partition on the hard drive that showed up as something like 'E: Recovery'

The computer is a Dell XPS 420, OS Vista home premium 32. Out of warranty BTW, I upgraded it as soon as I bought it a year ago and have had no problems whatsoever until now.

I'm curious what exactly what the model was. Was it a barracuda 7200.11?

You are correct, Barracuda 7200.11. Is this model known to have issues...? Maybe I can get the money back for the new one from Seagate.

clav

PumpkinPie said:
You are correct, Barracuda 7200.11. Is this model known to have issues...? Maybe I can get the money back for the new one from Seagate.
Do you have the drive still? Search for the model # and firmware. It's a bunch of letters and #s. If you're lazy, just post the model # here and I'll look it up.

Apparently a batch of Seagate desktop hard drives had firmware that would brick the drive itself, losing all the data on it although supposedly the data may be recoverable if you can still see it in the BIOS through a firmware upgrade provided by Seagate.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Tried the set as default command (original settings)? Do that first.

If this doesn't work, it may be time for you to delete all your firefox settings. Back your bookmarks up. Remember what extensions you've installed.

To do this in XP:

1. Close Firefox completely. Open up Windows Explorer. Go to Tools -> Folder Options.
2. Under the View tab, show all your hidden files and settings.
3. Go to the path: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\
4. There will be a hidden folder called Application Data or appdata. Open it.
5. Go to the Mozilla Folder (then Firefox).
6. Delete the Firefox folder.
7. Reopen Firefox. Reinstall bookmarks/extensions.

Worked! Thanks!!

claviertekky said:
Do you have the drive still? Search for the model # and firmware. It's a bunch of letters and #s. If you're lazy, just post the model # here and I'll look it up.

Apparently a batch of Seagate desktop hard drives had firmware that would brick the drive itself, losing all the data on it although supposedly the data may be recoverable if you can still see it in the BIOS through a firmware upgrade provided by Seagate.

Well apparently it is one of those affected, now I'm trying to contact Seagate but keep getting a timeout error on their site. I just read that they released firmware which would have stopped it bricking, this really pisses me off. How the hell are you supposed to know about the firmware before the drive fails? why would I be searching on Google for 'bricked Seagate' if it wasn't already bricked...?

All of my college work was lost and I had to stay home last week to try and re-type my assignment and whatnot...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My search engines have been hijacked. When I put in a search I am given the same pre-set results every time that have nothing to do with what I'm searching for. I've tried hijack this and I ran super anti spyware which found the problem but when I deleted the infected files my internet stops working all together. Please help!

clav

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
My search engines have been hijacked. When I put in a search I am given the same pre-set results every time that have nothing to do with what I'm searching for. I've tried hijack this and I ran super anti spyware which found the problem but when I deleted the infected files my internet stops working all together. Please help!
I'll assume you have Windows XP.

Grab two utilities:

Malwarebytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

winsockxp fix: http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Be sure to update before scanning.

Run a scan with malwarebytes. See if this helps. Please post back what happened.

Winsockxpfix will restore your internet connection if you experience internet loss after your malware/virus removals.

I've only used this in XP as I believe the commands are different on Vista slightly.

If you CANNOT get malwarebytes working, then I'll suggest something else when you post back.

PumpkinPie said:
Well apparently it is one of those affected, now I'm trying to contact Seagate but keep getting a timeout error on their site. I just read that they released firmware which would have stopped it bricking, this really pisses me off. How the hell are you supposed to know about the firmware before the drive fails? why would I be searching on Google for 'bricked Seagate' if it wasn't already bricked...?

All of my college work was lost and I had to stay home last week to try and re-type my assignment and whatnot...

So you are positive it doesn't work in your BIOS? Give the firmware utility a shot. If not, call Seagate tomorrow as it is still the weekend.

Sucks about your college work though. I dropped my 3.5" external off my desk while it's on. It had all my college work in it, and it was all gone.

From that day onward, I only use 2.5" external drives.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Glad to see this is being used. I am doing transcriptions for the rest of the night but I'm subscribing to this and will contribute as much as possible from now.

And yes, MyFaceIsOnFire- above poster's instructions are the ones to follow. Some kind of malware or adware has snatched your search.

If Malwarebytes doesn't take care of it without hurting your internet, you may want to clarify how you got your internet back in the first place after deleting them.

claviertekky said:
I'll assume you have XP.

Grab two utilities:

Malwarebytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Run a scan with malwarebytes. See if this helps. Please post back what happened.

Winsockxpfix will restore your internet connection if you experience internet loss after your malware/virus removals.

I've only used this in XP as I believe the commands are different on Vista slightly.

So you are positive it doesn't work in your BIOS? Give the firmware utility a shot. If not, call Seagate tomorrow as it is still the weekend.

Winsock fix is ok, Dial a Fix seems to be more effective in my experiences at work.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#Mirrors.2Fdownload_locations.2C_and_articles

One of our techs actually helped create it.

Keep in mind both are for XP only!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:

Grab two utilities:

Sucks about your college work though. I dropped my 3.5" external off my desk while it's on. It had all my college work in it, and it was all gone.

Thanks, I am using Vista though. Is there a similar Winsocks program for Vista? Thanks!

EDIT: I got my internet to work again by restoring the infected files from the quarantine in Super Anti Spyware. I'll try Malwarebytes next and post my results.

claviertekky said:

Well I went into the boot screen (F2?) and it was undetected, nothing at all. I think Seagate may tell me to call Dell since it was sold as part of a system, then Dell will say it's out of warranty :(

BTW, I have Vista 32. I mentioned it in my post above ^

clav

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Thanks, I am using Vista though. Is there a similar Winsocks program for Vista? Thanks!
In Vista, you'll need to reset the winsock stack manually through command line.

Run cmd (command prompt) in administrator mode (although I assume you disabled UAC, thus causing your spyware problem.)

Use the following command:

Code:
netsh winsock reset

Restart your computer.

Thanks for the correction.

VV

MyFaceIsOnFire said:

EDIT: I got my internet to work again by restoring the infected files from the quarantine in Super Anti Spyware. I'll try Malwarebytes next and post my results.

Open the command line prompt and type "netsh winsock reset" and restart.

clav

PumpkinPie said:
Well I went into the boot screen (F2?) and it was undetected, nothing at all. I think Seagate may tell me to call Dell since it was sold as part of a system, then Dell will say it's out of warranty :(

BTW, I have Vista 32. I mentioned it in my post above ^
Just contact Seagate. Don't mention you said it was from Dell.

Bananakin

claviertekky said:
Wow. I didn't realize AVG had so many processes.

Just curious. What do you use hotspot shield for?

Nothing really suspicious except this.

Code:

Run the hijackthis program, scan, select that line, and select fix. Scan again to make sure it's not there any more.

Okay, I got rid of that BHO dealie. Didn't have any immediate effect, but I'm sure it wasn't doing me any good anyway.

Hotspot Shield I used to use to watch Hulu (I live in Canada). Don't really watch Hulu these days though, and I think it doesn't work anymore anyway.

Regarding your other suggestions, I'll definitely try them some other night. Right now, though, I should really get some work done. Thanks for you help!

OmniGamer

Great timing for this thread.

Ok, my friend was trying to set up a computer for his Mom that she got from her sister. It's a Dell, dual-core, 512MB RAM, Windows XP. She has no ISP service at the moment, however he confirmed that he's able to connect with his ipod touch to an open wifi connection from somewhere in the apartment. He bought a belkin wireless g router for the PC, and was hoping to connect the PC to the internet for his Mom for quick tasks(checking email, looking up certain info...I already explained to him to tell her to keep it limited to that, so as not to abuse someone else's bandwidth). She's home on worker's comp. due to a back injury she suffered while working at the hospital).

He's wondering why his router can't just sniff out the open connection and connect to it like his ipod touch does. The router's installation disk says it can't find the ethernet connection, but he says it's clearly connected, and it shows up on his ipod touch as well.

Basically, is there any program out there that I can put on a flash drive for him that will act like an ipod touch...use his wireless router to detect open connections and connect to it directly, without having to deal with Windows' convoluted network setup stuff?

Top Bottom