• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techland developing AAA open-world fantasy action RPG with former CD Projekt RED staff

tusharngf

techland cant do 3rd person game. So i assume this will be first person RPG game with same animation from past games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

And what the hell is that pikachu reaction
Thanks for the spoonfeeding mate. Game looks both jank and soulful, so it's added to my wishlist.

The pikachu is a gift for the GAF gold payers. Shalom!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Thanks for the spoonfeeding mate. Game looks both jank and soulful, so it's added to my wishlist.

The pikachu is a gift for the GAF gold payers. Shalom!
guess i'll just use my peasant free user version

1873_Oo_Pikachu.png

Last edited:

TidusYuna

This combination is going to create the greatest how long the beat flex in gaming history.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Well, hopefully the world is more "Elden Ring" and less "hey here's a checklist of things to do".

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Too many of them right now

And very few good linear, focused games

The industry is obsessed with "bigger is better", and i'm so tired of it

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. I hate linear games. Open level (for example: Deus Ex) is okay but games where you are on linear path feel archaic to me.

Denton

This game has been known about and in development (preproduction) for about 2 years, here is Karolina Stachyra talking about working on it (in comments, responding to my comment) in november 2020:

But, I expect it is in full production only few months before DL2 released, so I would expect release date sometime in 2026.

Still, first/third person AAA open world RPGs are rare as fuck so I am excited, especially with the writing caliber. Some of the best Witcher 3 writers are working on this.

I hope they take a lot of inspiration from Elden Ring.

Fuck no. They should get inspired by Gothic 2 or Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Last edited:
One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. I hate linear games. Open level (for example: Deus Ex) is okay but games where you are on linear path feel archaic to me.
That's because the 360/PS3 era fooled people into thinking that linear games mean walking in a straight line with little variation.

Halo, Doom, Jedi Knight 2, Timesplitters, Goldeneye, and Quake were linear. Complex maps with intricate design, secrets, and enemy placement are peak linear.

But, I expect it is in full production only few months before DL2 released, so I would expect release date sometime in 2026.

Still, first/third person AAA open world RPGs are rare as fuck so I am excited, especially with the writing caliber. Some of the best Witcher 3 writers are working on this.

If it's that far out then there's really no reason to get hyped or excited for anything yet. It's nice it exists in some form, I guess, but almost anything can happen with it in the meantime. Could get delayed, significantly scaled down, even cancelled.

Also if it's that far away there's little chance it'll be at the June showcase.

Mozzarella

Ah shit here we go again.
Trying to build hype, why its open world? fantasy? this again? Nothing new to see here, every developer is announcing this like its something unique, its not.
Techland barely can make engaging and well written story, so i dont get it, i see some of CDPR staff but i still doubt its going to deliver.

But seriously, does it really need to be Open World? let me guess its going to be bloated world again, i enjoyed the trend at first but recently its becoming too much, i hope at least they learned some stuff from Elden Ring map design, although i doubt it, those Devs dont play games that much and instead live in their own reality. Few of them keep track of what the hardcore enthusiast gaming circle says and instead look at the numbers of Sales and Reddit threads with big upvotes.

This may sound negative, but i dont have much faith in Techland, a studio that brags on Twitter about 500 hours copy pasted open world content, it seems their idea of good game design is fundamentally flawed.

Why Fantasy setting again? because its easier to make RPG for that setting, why not try Sci-Fi, Steampunk, Horror, something else and more unique, even Fantasy they can spin it in some interesting way, but i doubt it.
Why not try to adapt Call of Cthulu or something? sad
They have to ask themselves, what you can offer in this game design choice that has been done before? and my expected answer is Nothing!

They may attract some hype with these announcement, but certainly not me, this is the most generic announcement.
Imagine a Sci-Fi RPG in the aesthetic of depressing dark bleak world like Ergo Proxy, with weird creatures and combat classes like Melee, laser like weapons, mech suits, it will offer cool traversal and good flashy combos, with also additions of advanced weaponry and good cybernetics, make it linear or interconnected world with deep level design that allows creativity and has secrets and probably changes in NG+ as well, make some side quests that are well made but not too much bloated content, make loot unique and not diablo based, challenging yet well balanced boss fights.
There's many other options but again, Techland is generic B/C tier devs sadly.

Anyway, low expectations, i hope they surprise me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom