• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Technology is insane!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So here I am...dying to play hogwarts in bed so I thought fuck it...I'll hook my steam deck up to my 42 inch lg c2 that's in the bedroom and try steam remote play out....

Here I am with ultra graphics and raytracing using an xbox controller and there's 0 latency.

Just running through power line adapters...it feels like I'm playing it natively...I'm baffled.

Anyone else have some crazy shit happen like this, where you're blown away with tech?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
play hogwarts
How Dare You Greta GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
I too can relate OP. I love having masterful tech at my fingertips. Allow me to explain,

I take the Wii U camping and play Resident Evil at night. Just picture it; air mattress, Wii U playing the Wii version of REmake (wiimote held sideways no less). Long-haired dachshunds sleeping but ready to defend the tent at a moments notice, wife snoring...

21st century living boys and girls!

A.Romero

Steam remote play together in general is pretty dope.
first time trying the oculus rift DK2
quick resume swapping between games

Airplanes still amaze me every time I see one tbh.
Tech has advanced a lot.

Cloud games are pretty good nowadays too.

ACESHIGH

Banned
All the tech in the world won't change the fact that you are a bigot for playing and having the nerve to ENJOY that game.

Mods please ban

/s

Yep, tech is amazing. Couldn't believe how great xcloud was when I tried it. I may even delay upgrading my rig due to it.

I had a moment like this recently.
I ”acquired" every arcade game ever made and dumped the ROMs into Launchbox. At the press of a button the app parsed the whole set and downloaded covers, info, screenshots and cabinet backgrounds and then presented them as gorgeous 3D covers. Thousands and thousands of games perfectly emulated, ready to play at the press of a button.

Then I bound a key to insert coins so I could just mash it to play as much as I want. Broke ass 10 year old me who never got to play any arcade games wouldn't even be able to comprehend this setup. It's truly mind blowing.

farmerboy

And here I was spending 30min trying to make my e arc send sound from my Sony tv to the amp, not realising that the ps5 on standby was corrupting that signal.

Tech is great. WHEN IT WORKS AS INTENDED.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How's it run on the Steam Deck?
Not too bad I've got it on mostly low settings with high textures and fsr 2.0 in balanced mode with sharpening at 0.75 and it's deffo playable at 30fps but simple good enough for mobile play I think.
What's your spec of the system running the actual game?
It is a beast so maybe it's that putting the work in but man, it's mind-blowing good. Looks like native resolution, better than series x and ps5 and just as responsive as native really.

Crazy stuff.

PC is 13900ks with an rtx 4090 over powering adapters 150 mega bytes up and down.

Mr Hyde

Yeah man I remember getting my first Game Boy and played Mortal Kombat on a family camping trip for 30 minutes before the batteries died. Was blown away at the 4 fps slideshow gameplay on a 144 pixel resolution screen that looked like green vomit, like I legit thought "this is it. It doesn't get any better than this".

GHG

Is this your first experience with Steam in-home remote play or something?

If so, welcome.

But really, you should be hooking that PC up directly to your C2. There are pitfalls to Steam in-home streaming, pretty much all of which I've experienced over the years (if you can believe, I managed to even complete Sekiro on my first run using it), but if you don't notice them, keep it that way. The alternative is having a capable gaming PC/laptop in every room that you will possibly game in in your home, it gets expensive.

Last edited:

Maverick074

Banned
Really, the Steam Deck in general was what really made me go "Damn, I'm living in the future"

Having Batman: Arkham Knight and Marvel's Spider-Man playable on a handheld is insane

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mainly play my computer through steam link these days. Only downside is no hdr but through a cat6 cable over a 5gbe connection the image is very nice.

Gamerguy84

I guess wire line adapters have gotten better? Been a few years since I've tried them. Every time my furnace would kick on I'd get pixelation like crazy.

That's when I hardwired my house. Big project but worth it.

So here I am...dying to play hogwarts in bed so I thought fuck it...I'll hook my steam deck up to my 42 inch lg c2 that's in the bedroom and try steam remote play out....

Here I am with ultra graphics and raytracing using an xbox controller and there's 0 latency.

Just running through power line adapters...it feels like I'm playing it natively...I'm baffled.

Anyone else have some crazy shit happen like this, where you're blown away with tech?
Yeap Nvidias GeForce Now's 4080 tier offering 240hz gaming at 4k to anyone with an internet connection is simply insane. Surprised it was Nvidia to pull through with cloud gaming and not Google, crazy.

I too can relate OP. I love having masterful tech at my fingertips. Allow me to explain,

I take the Wii U camping and play Resident Evil at night. Just picture it; air mattress, Wii U playing the Wii version of REmake (wiimote held sideways no less). Long-haired dachshunds sleeping but ready to defend the tent at a moments notice, wife snoring...

This is why we need a Giga Chad "like emote" on Gaf. What an incredible post.

Neilg

We have no furniture in our living room at the moment, and this afternoon I took my quest pro downstairs to show my wife something I'm working on - dropped her in full room-scale VR, 20ft x 26ft, wireless and streamed from a machine with a 4090 with no latency. it's fucking magic.

I guess wire line adapters have gotten better? Been a few years since I've tried them. Every time my furnace would kick on I'd get pixelation like crazy.

That's when I hardwired my house. Big project but worth it.
powerline really depends on the wiring in your house. sometimes they are ok, sometimes you're lucky to get above a 30mps equivalent. I was using one until we moved into this house - modern, 2 year old build, but powerline's dont work for shit.
Ended up with a deco mesh network, and now we get a flawless 1000/1000 on every device wired up to one.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

I've got the physical Steam Link box and yeah it's pretty damn good. I wouldn't quite say it looks native, but it feels like I'm playing a high-ish bitrate interactive game via Youtube or something, which is good enough for the $50 I paid for it lol.

Droxcy

At random moments in time I start to think back in my head how far we've come so quickly within the last 15 years. 2001 my computer could hardly load a webpage, Now I have a 27 inch 4K monitor with a 55 inch screen right above it & gigabit internet.

But yeah I used steamlink from my desktop to my TV and would play games with a controller in bed and it worked/looked crisp.

Mine would have to be either the Index or the Nreal Air. I think the Nreal's really are a step towards just how far display tech has come to the point we can project a 1080p OLED display onto our glasses and connect it to our portable devices.

cireza

wind-in-hair-fabulous-wind.gif

That sense of freedom, yet danger.

I have been rocking my CRT TV with my Wii U for quite some time now. Truly the best console technology has offered us. Endless possibilities.

Last edited:

Spyxos

How? I tried it multiple times even in the same room there is a little bit lag, nothing too bad, but stream quality is just bad.

edit: How dare you to play that Wizard game? xD

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Actually magic if true.

but hey if it feels lag free, good enough.

It deffo feels lag free. I need to play Hi Fi Rush to really try it, where i think it will fall down.
Is this your first experience with Steam in-home remote play or something?

If so, welcome.

But really, you should be hooking that PC up directly to your C2. There are pitfalls to Steam in-home streaming, pretty much all of which I've experienced over the years (if you can believe, I managed to even complete Sekiro on my first run using it), but if you don't notice them, keep it that way. The alternative is having a capable gaming PC/laptop in every room that you will possibly game in in your home, it gets expensive.

It is, mate TBH. I never bothered with remote play as I thought there no way it will work. MY PC is in a totally different room so cant hook it up directly. I was looking at an option to maybe avoid me buying a second xbox series X so I am impressed with this.
How? I tried it multiple times even in the same room there is a little bit lag, nothing too bad, but stream quality is just bad.

edit: How dare you to play that Wizard game? xD

I'm using my PC hooked up to a decent router, then a 2000MBPS TP LINK power line to my room and the stream quality looks flipping great through my Steam Deck. Ran great until late last night someone started streaming loads of stuff in my house and it broke up a bit.

acidagfc

To me the peak technology was playing Skyrim on Switch during a plane travel.

Like dude, I am literally flying, 13 km off the ground, yet I can still get high on skooma and fusrodah the living shit out of some bandits.

Sure, you could do that with a laptop for many years, but having a console game in your palms was truly magical.

Trunx81

Yeah man I remember getting my first Game Boy and played Mortal Kombat on a family camping trip for 30 minutes before the batteries died. Was blown away at the 4 fps slideshow gameplay on a 144 pixel resolution screen that looked like green vomit, like I legit thought "this is it. It doesn't get any better than this".
Should have waited for MK2, underrated port. Ran great and even had Multiplayer.

Anyway, can’t image this wizard game on the Switch. Impossible Port.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
To me the peak technology was playing Skyrim on Switch during a plane travel.

Like dude, I am literally flying, 13 km off the ground, yet I can still get high on skooma and fusrodah the living shit out of some bandits.

Sure, you could do that with a laptop for many years, but having a console game in your palms was truly magical.
I’m at a Subaru dealership while they work on my Subaru. While I wait, I’m racing a fake Subaru in Art of Rally on my Steam Deck. Life is amazing.

Top Bottom