• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TECHRADAR (on XBSX): Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

Kagey K

Banned
It are mostly Indie games .. wtf.

I thought almost all looked better than this generation. It always the same with a new gen .. did reporters get reset ? And start blank? Just curious ?

I mean it’s been this way since snes, looks hardly better than NES. 🤣
The funny thing they were for the most part insulting PS5 as well, they just do t realize it yet.

In the effort to shit o everything MIcrosoft, they forget.

Dante83

Banned
XSX is more than capable of 4K at 60 fps. There will be devs out there that prioritise graphics fidelity over frame rates, and we could still get 30 fps games next gen for both consoles. I am keeping a low expectation for next gen. We have seen this many times, so it should not be a shock to anyone.

CobraXT

Banned
Why the fuck would have Sony and MS released the PS4 pro and XB1X if only 5% of gamers had 4K TVs? You can’t even buy 1080p TVs anymore, it’s 4K from budget to high end. Fucking 1080p for next gen, Jesus christ.

i said 1080p or 1440p .. 1440p is still a big resolution jump over 1080p, and it doesn't kill the performance like 4k .. you can buy a pc that is much faster then the xsx right now ''lets say 2080 ti with 9900k'' and even with that much power it will struggle to run some games with a solid 60 fps if you want 4k ..

Dane

Cross gen games are never fucked up in the newer systems, but rather in the older systems. Just look at Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Cross gen games are never fucked up in the newer systems, but rather in the older systems. Just look at Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition.

It will definitely be really interesting to see the cross-gen analysis. Wonder how much of a settings boost the XsX/PS5 get, on top of resolution

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine if they were developed exclusive for PS4/XB1 without out PS360 in mind :pie_thinking:

StormCell

The last "next-gen" thrill I recall experiencing was........ on the GameCube (didn't own a PS2). That's the last time a generational leap was so significant that cross-gen titles would have basically been an impossible concept.

He does have a point about focusing too much on "cross-gen" games though.

It was an event for third-parties. Third-parties are going to be heavily cross-gen for the first year, probably first two. Just like on PS4 and XBO. So if that's the case with third-parties, and it was an event for (mostly smaller) third-parties...what exactly were they expecting?

At that point the blame falls on them for somewhat unrealistic expectations. Personally I had zero issues they were cross-gen games; the bigger problem was the scant amount of actual gameplay, especially for games like Valhalla. In that regard they led off with the best game because it had the most gameplay; would've focused more on that one personally for marketing the thing but you don't sideline Ubisoft for some indie 3rd-party (even if the indie 3rd-party has a much better showing).

Yeah the MS show may have been underwhelming but these articles are getting a bit much.

I mean just look at the title of the article:

Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

Jesus christ.

The same shit is going to apply to PlayStation and the transition will be just like when last gen started. Lots of cross gen games in first year and then proper next gen titles hit a year or two later.

Did these guys writing these articles just start getting into console gaming?

They're desperate for clicks in these COVID-19 times, so gotta hyperbolize where you can. I would be surprised if the people who write these articles even play video games. It's like being a film critic without watching movies.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm just looking forward to July at this point. As soon as they said 3rd party was going to be shown in May I was changing my expectations.

3rd Studios usually don't get the new consoles down immediately. The showcase stuff is done by 1st party. There have been a few exceptions that I can remember over the years.

Resogun comes to mind, Battlefield 4 maybe...but ultimately it's First Party that makes the initial splash graphically. Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good example.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Make that shit mandatory, but nope everyone scared of backlashes.

Making 60fps mandatory is STUPID!!!! Devs should always have the final say in how they are developing a game. Doing what you said literally makes zero sense! Why not make native 4K mandatory next?

Pimpbaa

i said 1080p or 1440p .. 1440p is still a big resolution jump over 1080p, and it doesn't kill the performance like 4k .. you can buy a pc that is much faster then the xsx right now ''lets say 2080 ti with 9900k'' and even with that much power it will struggle to run some games with a solid 60 fps if you want 4k ..

1440p still looks blurry on a 4K tv. Hell even when downsampling on a 1080p display 4K looks noticeably better than 1440p. It would be a joke if next gen games ran at 1440p/30fps. XB1X gamers and to some extent PS4 Pro players are already used to higher resolutions (particularly exclusive games), anything otherwise nextgen would be a step back. If games offered a performance mode with 1440p/60fps, only then such a large compromise in resolution would be acceptable.

The author doesn't know what he's talking about. There was no X factor for the PS4 at launch. At least one game ran better on the 360 before being patched. And it still became the historical success that we know.
Great games with the X factor take time to make.
Get something remotely close to this on your 360

or this

or even on the one side

The generational gap was clear in 2013, at least as clear as it was between PS2 and PS360... You can't mistake a ps4 game for a ps3 game.

oldergamer

The generational gap was clear in 2013, at least as clear as it was between PS2 and PS360... You can't mistake a ps4 game for a ps3 game.

Well that comment aged well.

maxresdefault-58.jpg

sneas78

Banned
I don’t get something with so many different studios, you would hope to get next gen title only. But wait. To cater to 2-4 million people is not that important at launch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

or this

or even on the one side

Absolutely. Killzone and Ryse were boring-ass games in the end, but man they sure did look incredible on their respective systems.

Dory16

Banned

or this

or even on the one side

Do you know what a 1st party title is? All the titles you posted are.
COD ghosts had a better resolution on 360 than in next gen before patches. Many launch titles did not look noticeably better than on the previous gen. it’s typical of 3rd party cross gen. Everybody knows it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Scorn and The Medium are only on XsX and PC from what I understand
As I said in another thread when the games have been broken down into their own threads people are praising the games. The first games that release on a new console are never the greatest and always a slight upgrade on the currant gen.

I loved Titanfall when it arrived on Xbox one but remember being slightly underwhelmed by the graphics at first not being a huge upgrade from the 360 but it was loads clearer and ran smoother than anything I played 360 era.

these are also third party games where there is no mandate off Microsoft to make them cross gen.

Just seems like the gaming press ain’t got much to print at the moment and trying to get as much click bait as possible

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Games press at its finest. All the games shown were 3rd party games, i.e. not part of Xbox's 2 year cross gen initiative..

tenor.gif
Most were even Indies, some by single individuals. And the games looked better than what 90 % of AAs were this gen. It's a statement regarding ease of access and development. With Unreal and Unity we have a great foundation for everybody to create beautiful next gen games.

INC

Dont worry, next year we'll get the xbox thrill, when it actually has some first party games, early adopters should be happy to wait a year to see the raw power of the extra teraflops, until then you have 30fps assassin's creed to play

It's an article for the average player, not we enthusiasts that Pour over every titbit out there.

Just going off what has been put up through official channels, then yeah, so far XSX has downplayed next gen as a whole new, seperate jump in gaming, and only showed crossgen titles and smaller games, undermining everything with the promise of playing most of these games on existing hardware.

Sony holding their cards to their chest seems like a smarter move day by day. If they come out with true next gen exclusives that show a clear difference in what can be done with the new hardware that was impossible before, then they'll have given MS enough rope to hang themselves, and make that GPU power gap look irrelevant.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Why the fuck would have Sony and MS released the PS4 pro and XB1X if only 5% of gamers had 4K TVs? You can’t even buy 1080p TVs anymore, it’s 4K from budget to high end. Fucking 1080p for next gen, Jesus christ.

Seriously you can buy a decent, budget 4k 50 inch right now for only like 400 or even less from TCL. I don't get where these ppl keep me toning hardly anyone has 4k tvs thts not true and definitely won't be.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Dont worry, next year we'll get the xbox thrill, when it actually has some first party games, early adopters should be happy to wait a year to see the raw power of the extra teraflops, until then you have 30fps assassin's creed to play
Recore sequel at 4k with 120fps will be 🔥🔥

NT80

The author doesn't know what he's talking about. There was no X factor for the PS4 at launch. At least one game ran better on the 360 before being patched. And it still became the historical success that we know.
There's usually always something at launch or within the first 6 months that shows off what a new gen can do. It'll be really deflating if that isn't the case this time.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seems like we should wait to see the 1st party games, since those are the only ones MS has control over and we have seen nothing yet. Silly premature article.

Well that comment aged well.

maxresdefault-58.jpg
Sure do as you will.... before posting I wondered if I should mention that games ported directly from the ps3 or in similar situations (Uncharted Collection, TLoU remake, God of War 3, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, etc. and I guess this).

Basically, sure on the SNES you could do a NES looking game and then claim that the machines are "too close"... but this is not the expectation when you see a 16-bit game.

Grinchy

Banned
We haven't seen the actual lineups yet, but MS preemptively letting everyone know that they won't have any of their own XSX first party software ready for at least the first year of their new console launching does not sound like a very exciting start to a new generation.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I hate to break it to you but gaming is a childish hobby regardless. May as well play in 60fps if you are going to be a man child, no?

Lol hate to break it to you I have a switch and there's a time and place for all types of graphics. Do you follow stats? Average gamers are actually well into adulthood so thts not true if it ever was. Childish hobby? Only old farts and draconian thinking ppl think tht way. I'm 41 BTW so been gaming for decades and am an older gamer.

Again I was responding to a comment with no clear context. There is a reason those games are 60fps, 60fps isn't some new revelation.

Average gamer age is actually in the 30's 😊 35 being the average I've seen pop up alot BTW. Yes kiddy indeed.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Huh ? Almost all game media is pro XBOX though :messenger_weary:
That's the joke, right?
Because the media is biased towards Microsoft and favors PlayStation, ass-kissing included comes included.
Even this article singles out one platform when their logic or lack-thereof applies to everyone or even more so as they have more games doing cross-gen.

NT80

COD ghosts had a better resolution on 360 than in next gen before patches. Many launch titles did not look noticeably better than on the previous gen. it’s typical of 3rd party cross gen. Everybody knows it.
But that's the thing, Microsoft aren't going to have any 1st party next gen exclusives for a year or 2 and that's where there's usually something to show off the new machine early on.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Killzone impressed everyone at the time.

TigerKnee

I have to say with all the bad press they're getting, they had better knock it out of the park on their first party conference... Then again, I'm sure that no matter what they put out, no matter how impressive it is, they are going to get shit on regardless.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Killzone impressed everyone at the time.
And many of the games shown were impressive. To say the opposite is simply lying. Bright Memory Infinite is technically impressive, no matter what we may think of it overall. Is it an X factor? No and neither was Shadowfall.

Dory16

Banned
But that's the thing, Microsoft aren't going to have any 1st party next gen exclusives for a year or 2 and that's where there's usually something to show off the new machine early on.
They've already showed off the new machine with Hellblade 2. Not every game will look like that but we had a taste of what the machine can do.
And before anyone says it wasn't gameplay, neither was Sony's first Driveclub demo. And I don't remember too many complaints about it, even when the actual game came out downgraded.

Ryse is not a 1st party title, nor is

Sure, many do, but not all need for speed on yhe ps4

PC_001.bmp.jpg

or games that barely work in their previous gen versions like battlefield 4

maxresdefault.jpg

It exists on the ps360, but this is not the same thing.

They've already showed off the new machine with Hellblade 2. Not every game will look like that but we had a taste of what the machine can do.
And before anyone says it wasn't gameplay, neither was Sony's first Driveclub demo. And I don't remember too many complaints about it, even when the actual game came out downgraded.
Tha main problem is the claims, and people are always quick to call out the BS, especially when you make a factual claim of that nature.

Top Bottom