• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen Arrested After 'Almost Inciting Riot' Wearing NRA Shirt to School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting a picture of the kid will ruin the thread.

He plays the stereotype doesn't he?

k6wQ0tE.jpg

I think he's wearing a customized version this shirt:
ht_nra_shirt_ml_130422_wg.jpg

Leucrota

Fuck teachers in schools and their constant need to show their 'power'.

I was almost expelled from school for not standing during the pledge of allegiance because I was 'disrupting the school process', even though I sat in the back and the only one who said anything about it was a teacher who walked into class one day and was not usually there.

Teachers try to justify anything with that stupid argument. If you wore a shirt that said "FUCK" all over it to high school, the only one who would notice is a teacher.

You know what else was weird about that kid? One time, in physics class, we were forced to work on something in groups, and me and Bryce were in the same group. We needed to measure the distance between two objects on a table but we didn't have a ruler. So one of us volunteers to go and look for one, and Bryce says, "Wait." And he stretched out his thumb and forefinger in a practiced way and measured the distance using his hand. He proudly exclaimed, "It's exactly 5 inches." I say, "How do you know that?" Suddenly, Bryce became very nervous and left the room. Weird dude.

Poor Bryce.

I got suspended a day in high school for wearing a Slayer shirt because it had a pentagram on it. I didn't even get the option to cover it or turn it inside out.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District (1969)
Issue: Freedom of Speech at School
Bottom Line: You Have the Right To Express Yourself—Up to a Point

Background
In December 1965, John and Mary Beth Tinker and their friend Chris Eckhardt wore black armbands to school in Des Moines, Iowa, to protest the war in Vietnam. School officials told them to remove the armbands, and when they refused, they were suspended (John, 15, from North High; Mary Beth, 13, from Warren Harding Junior High; and Chris, 16, from Roosevelt High). With their parents, they sued the school district, claiming a violation of their First Amendment right of freedom of speech.

Ruling
The Supreme Court sided with the students. Students and teachers don't "shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate," the Court said.

The Court did not, however, grant students an unlimited right to self-expression. It said First Amendment guarantees must be balanced against a school's need to keep order: As long as an act of expression doesn't disrupt classwork or school activities or invade the rights of others, it's acceptable. Regarding the students in this case, "their deviation consisted only in wearing on their sleeve a band of black cloth," the Court said. "They caused discussion outside of the classrooms, but no interference with work and no disorder."

Impact
In 1986, applying the "disruption test" from the Tinker case, the Supreme Court upheld the suspension of Matthew Fraser, a 17-year-old senior at Bethel High School in Tacoma, Washington, who gave a school speech containing sexual innuendos (Bethel School District v. Fraser). The Court said "it is a highly appropriate function of public school education to prohibit the use of vulgar and offensive terms in public discourse."

Lower courts have relied on Tinker in rulings on school attire, allowing nose rings and dyed hair, for example, but disallowing a T-shirt displaying a Confederate flag.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/20080915monday.html

antonz

Its been confirmed in other stories that the school dress code did not forbid the shirt. The Kid wore it for more than half the day until a specific teacher took offense.

The teacher claimed he was inciting a riot because as he was being taken away the kids were cheering him on.

Its a case of a bullshit teacher causing trouble and the kid taking the fall

Aesthet1c

This is probably not the first time this kid will be involved with police.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Because he wore a shirt with a gun on it, he is now an automatic future criminal?

Its been confirmed in other stories that the school dress code did not forbid the shirt. The Kid wore it for more than half the day until a specific teacher took offense.

The teacher claimed he was inciting a riot because as he was being taken away the kids were cheering him on.

Its a case of a bullshit teacher causing trouble and the kid taking the fall

I couldn't agree more. If the school's policy states you can't have weapons on your shirts, that's one thing, but if there isn't anything in the policy banning it, then there is no problem with him wearing it.

And for the record, I hate the NRA, but the kid can still wear what he wants as long as it's within the dress code.

jaxword

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Because he wore a shirt with a gun on it, he is now an automatic future criminal?

No, because he's the type to deliberately provoke authority into action and thus "prove a point." If you'd read the article you'd have seen that.

Aesthet1c

No, because he's the type to deliberately provoke authority into action and thus "prove a point." If you'd read the article you'd have seen that.

He's a teenager dude. What teenage male doesn't provoke authority?

Are you saying that any person with an unpopular "message" on their shirt is a future criminal? Because I'll be honest, I've seen plenty of more offensive shirts than people who like their guns and their second amendment.

fleck0

Logan City Police Chief E.K. Harper told ABCNews.com that Marcum was not arrested for wearing a t-shirt, but for "disrupting the school process."

Kids are asked to turn their shirts inside-out or wear a school provided shirt every day for a multitude of reasons and have been for at least 60 years in the US, this kid is a douche.

antonz

Kids asked to turn their shirts inside-out or wear a school provided shirt every day for a multitude of reasons and have been for at least 60 years in the US, this kid is a douche.

The student wore the shirt uninterrupted for more than 4 hours through multiple classes and multiple teachers. The shirt was found to not be in violation of the dress code. The incident was provoked by a biased teacher during lunch hour.

The shirt is so ok when he came back after his 1 day vacation he wore the shirt again as did tons of other students without incident.

Kite

Where did you guys go to school? My very conservative Texas school district had a dress code that would have banned this kid's NRA shirt.

Students are prohibited from wearing shirts/blouses that:
Depict or reference alcohol, drugs, tobacco, weapons, nudity, gang
affiliation, death, violence, vulgar or obscene language or images,
and/orinsultsto race,religion, gender, or ethnicity, or other emblems
or writing that may be expected to cause a material or substantial
disruption of, or interference with, normal school operations.

Dead Man

Kids asked to turn their shirts inside-out or wear a school provided shirt every day for a multitude of reasons and have been for at least 60 years in the US, this kid is a douche.

Kid was a douche, but was hardly disrupting school by wearing a tshirt. Fuck that noise.

Absinthe

The student wore the shirt uninterrupted for more than 4 hours through multiple classes and multiple teachers. The shirt was found to not be in violation of the dress code. The incident was provoked by a biased teacher during lunch hour.

The shirt is so ok when he came back after his 1 day vacation he wore the shirt again as did tons of other students without incident.

Exactly. The teachers just being an ass who has a problem with this kid supporting the NRA/second amendment and believes his "opinion" is greater than that of the constitution.

Where did you guys go to school? My very conservative Texas school district had a dress code that would have banned this kid's NRA shirt.

That last part basically equates to "if the teacher doesn't like it" which makes the detailed description before it kind of pointless.

Zaptruder

Banned
While I'm not a fan of the ultra-broad interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, I think it's hilarious how the 1st Amendment stops at the school doors.

To be fair, the 2nd admendment stops at the school door as well.

Or at least it did... with armed guards everywhere nowadays.

Fusebox

Banned
Obviously the teacher needs a t-shirt with a picture of a gun on it to protect himself from the kids t-shirt with a picture of a gun on it.

Loofy

While I'm not a fan of the ultra-broad interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, I think it's hilarious how the 1st Amendment stops at the school doors.
Schools never claimed to be a democracy. Theyre more like a business, or a daycare, and the students follow company policy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Obviously the teacher needs a t-shirt with a picture of a gun on it to protect himself from the kids t-shirt with a picture of a gun on it.

I'm still not tired of the meme.

Flynn

If you are a student it stops before the doors.

The New York Times said:
In June, the Supreme Court weighed in on another student expression case, Frederick v. Morse, ruling that schools can limit student speech that seems to advocate illegal drug use. The case concerned Joseph Frederick, an 18-year-old senior at Juneau-Douglas High School in Alaska, who was suspended in 2002 for holding a banner that said "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" while standing across the street from the school during the Olympic torch relay.

Link

Dead Man

Pretty sure government institutions also have dress codes. And theres always home schooling if you dont like it.

My point is that the student has no say in the matter. I understand what you are saying, but it is different to a business where you can choose to go there or not.

Wearing an NRA shirt to school wouldn't have been allowed at my school. You couldn't wear anything with weapons on it, and I'm surprised that wasn't the case here considering they apparently did have a dress code prohibiting wearing clothes depicting drugs.

Company policy is to now have prayer before class begins.

School isn't the place to be making political statements or endorsing religion. Its been established that students rights are not protected by the constitution while on school grounds. Their lockers and backpacks can be searched at will and their speech is not unrestricted.

This is why schools should just implement a uniform policy, either go all the way with the dress code or allow students to wear what they want.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
School isn't the place to be making political statements or endorsing religion. Its been established that students rights are not protected by the constitution while on school grounds. Their lockers and backpacks can be searched at will and their speech is not unrestricted.

Did you just say that as soon as a kid steps onto a tax funded public place that they have no rights?

Jooney

Principal Skinner: The year was 1968. We were on recon in a steaming Mekong delta. An overheated private removed his flack jacket, revealing a T-shirt with an ironed-on sporting the MAD slogan "Up with Mini-skirts!". Well, we all had a good laugh, even though I didn't quite understand it. But our momentary lapse of concentration allowed "Charlie" to get the drop on us. I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right!

This is why you don't wear controversial tshirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom