• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen Arrested After 'Almost Inciting Riot' Wearing NRA Shirt to School

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

And the point is he's 100% in the right.

Being right doesn't make you immune to repercussions of all of your actions.

He's a teenager dude. What teenage male doesn't provoke authority?

Are you saying that any person with an unpopular "message" on their shirt is a future criminal? Because I'll be honest, I've seen plenty of more offensive shirts than people who like their guns and their second amendment.

No, I'm saying that someone stupid enough to be arrested so young over guns is probably going to have quite an interesting time in life when future employers google his name and the first hit, instead of his expected facebook page, is his previous arrest.

The teacher should have just worn a "Let Gays Marry" shirt next day and see this kid's parents flip out.

Now this, this is a good commentary.

THRILLH0

Banned
Fuck this kid and fuck the binary world most Americans live in when it comes to "mah freedoms!"

Wake the fuck up and realise it's entirely possible to live in a world where your right to free speech is protected to a reasonable degree that doesn't include wearing shirts with guns on them to school or spewing hate speech.

jorma

is now taking requests
Fuck this kid and fuck the binary world most Americans live in when it comes to "mah freedoms!"

Wake the fuck up and realise it's entirely possible to live in a world where your right to free speech is protected to a reasonable degree that doesn't include wearing shirts with guns on them to school or spewing hate speech.

"protect your rights" is hate speech? Thinking that a picture with a gun on a shirt should be protected speech is "unreasonable"?

Your world looks just as binary as his does in my eyes.

Dead Man

You've placed wearing a t shirt with a gun on it in the same category as hate speech :? Okay.

THRILLH0

Banned
You've placed wearing a t shirt with a gun on it in the same category as hate speech :? Okay.

Nah, poorly constructed post in retrospect.

Just making the point that things don't have to bee so black and white using another recent gaf example (the westboro/Boston funeral thing) where some people were posting that if you outlaw that kind of hate speech, you might as well flush freedom of speech altogether down the drain.

Yoritomo

He plays the stereotype doesn't he?

It was hilarious watching one of the gun reddits devolve into making fun of his redneckedness after his picture was posted.

I blame the parents. He is only 14.

At the same time I'm not sure how uncommon or common it might be to have a shirt with a gun on it given how many movies and videogames might have depictions of guns in their representative t-shirt. I think this one stood out because of the wearer and it was actually an NRA shirt.

smr00

Banned
The teacher should have just worn a "Let Gays Marry" shirt next day and see this kid's parents flip out.

Also, why Uniforms are best. No clothing controversy ever.
Every school needs this.

Tired of hearing about these fucking stupid stories that could of been avoided by having a goddamn dress code.

Aylinato

Man people have not kept up with SCOTUS cases if they think this kid has a right to wear any type of shirt that any school official doesn't want them to wear. They have ruled time and time again that in public schools they don't have a right to wear tshrits saying whatever they want. The school is completely protected by SCOTUS rulings and the teacher would not be able to be sued under current precedent.

Personally, I don't care what tshirt he wore. However stupid the NRA is.

Dead Man

Man people have not kept up with SCOTUS cases if they think this kid has a right to wear any type of shirt that any school official doesn't want them to wear. They have ruled time and time again that in public schools they don't have a right to wear tshrits saying whatever they want. The school is completely protected by SCOTUS rulings and the teacher would not be able to be sued under current precedent.

Doesn't mean people have to like it.

Every school needs this.

Tired of hearing about these fucking stupid stories that could of been avoided by having a goddamn dress code.

What? A dress code violation is what caused the problem. A uniform policy may have avoided it, if he chose to wear the uniform.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Every school needs this.

I teach at a school that implemented uniforms two years ago. Our discipline issues have dropped dramatically since then and we don't have to deal with any of these stupid clothing issues any more. I love it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe the schools dress code forbids wearing clothes with guns on them. If it violated dress code the teacher was right. If it didnt and the teacher just didnt like it, he can't make him remove his shirt.
That's about the long and short of it yup.

Hari Seldon

Apparently this shirt was not against the dress code and it was just some asshole teacher causing trouble.

Edit: This kids were cheering him on because this is WV not CA. Parents are going to shitcan this teacher no doubt lol.

jorma

is now taking requests
I teach at a school that implemented uniforms two years ago. Our discipline issues have dropped dramatically since then and we don't have to deal with any of these stupid clothing issues any more. I love it.

Yeah, repression tends to be loved by the ruling classes. I figure a teacher is part of the "ruling class" in a school.

Dude Abides

Banned

It's a bit more complicated than that. It depends on why the school banned this particular shirt. If they banned any shirt with a gun on it, they're probably in the clear. If they would ban this shirt but not, for example, a pro-gun control shirt with a picture of an AR-15 with a slash through it, then they've probably violated the 1st Amendment.

While it's true that students can't wear whatever they want its also true that schools can't ban whatever they want.

R3TRODYCE

I knew a kid in high school who was a hardcore member of the NRA. His name was Bryce. I didn't like him because he had the Halo novels and I asked to see one for a second and he said, "No! Get your own!"

Needless to say, he was never seen again.
Poor Bryce.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, repression tends to be loved by the ruling classes. I figure a teacher is part of the "ruling class" in a school.

LOL at "repression." Get over it.

ajf009

This morning, he returned to school wearing the same t-shirt, White said.

Good for him, sometimes I really hate the NRA and their bullshit but no one should get in trouble, much less arrested, for wearing a shirt like that one

No, I'm saying that someone stupid enough to be arrested so young over guns is probably going to have quite an interesting time in life when future employers google his name and the first hit, instead of his expected facebook page, is his previous arrest.

So the kid is stupid for getting arrested? The teacher's in the wrong here and there was no real reason to arrest him, he's not stupid for getting arrested, they're stupid for arresting him over a damn t shirt

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I hate the notion of forcing uniforms on people and i won't get over it just because you feel that it made your job easier.

It didn't just make his job easier. I also teach somewhere with uniforms and the students themselves are happier and more focused. There is no drama over clothing brands or quality. No worry about wearing the wrong thing. With everything a child has to worry about on a daily basis, removing the need to obsess over their clothing is a huge boon not just to the teachers, but the students as well.

As for "forcing" uniforms. It's a school. There are a lot of things these children are being forced to do, like going to school in the first place. They have to be. Children need structure, otherwise they'd just be left at home to figure shit out on their own. School is a place to learn to follow instruction, but also to know when it's appropriate to say or do certain things. It's where we learn the first steps of being a rational member of society who doesn't shit in the street, shoot people in the face, or throw rocks at old people. Part of that is learning to control yourself and understanding you aren't the only person in the world and aren't the center of the universe. Just because you want to wave your love of (or lack of love for) guns in everyone's face, doesn't make it appropriate in every single situation. Sometimes you need to consider more than just yourself for the sake of having a constructive environment. School is one of those environments. The idea is when they get out of school they will understand that and no longer need to have their freedom of speech and actions monitored by adults. Doesn't always work, but thats the idea.

V_Arnold

It didn't just make his job easier. I also teach somewhere with uniforms and the students themselves are happier and more focused. There is no drama over clothing brands or quality. No worry about wearing the wrong thing. With everything a child has to worry about on a daily basis, removing the need to obsess over their clothing is a huge boon not just to the teachers, but the students as well.

As for "forcing" uniforms. It's a school. There are a lot of things these children are being forced to do, like going to school in the first place. They have to be. Children need structure, otherwise they'd just be left at home to figure shit out on their own. School is a place to learn to follow instruction, but also to know when it's appropriate to say or do certain things. It's where we learn the first steps of being a rational member of society who doesn't shit in the street, shoot people in the face, or throw rocks at old people. Part of that is learning to control yourself and understanding you aren't the only person in the world and aren't the center of the universe. Just because you want to wave your love of (or lack of love for) guns in everyone's face, doesn't make it appropriate in every single situation. Sometimes you need to consider more than just yourself for the sake of having a constructive environment. School is one of those environments. The idea is when they get out of school they will understand that and no longer need to have their freedom of speech and actions monitored by adults. Doesn't always work, but thats the idea.

Wonderfully said. Absolutely wonderful.

jaxword

So the kid is stupid for getting arrested? The teacher's in the wrong here and there was no real reason to arrest him, he's not stupid for getting arrested, they're stupid for arresting him over a damn t shirt

You deliberately cut out my response to this:

Being right doesn't make you immune to repercussions of all of your actions.

You don't seem to get it--you can be RIGHT and still be stupid.

So, yes, he is stupid. He dared them to arrest him and they did. He has every right to stand up for what he believes in. And he also has the right to take the consequences, and that includes challenging authority to the point where they can arrest you.

That's how life works. You can be 100% right and just in what you do, but if you screw with those with power over you, they will come down on you and it won't matter one bit how "right" you are. And it doesn't matter how "stupid" the authorities are, because they'll get away with it. Now his life is probably wrecked because he wouldn't change his shirt.

You really think exchanging your future for the right to wear a shirt is a smart thing to do?

jorma

is now taking requests

Yes you are forced to attend school, and that is the very reason why a forced uniform is bullshit. School is for learning, but learning conformity is not why they are there. They are there to learn some basic knowledge that is needed to function in society and also to learn critical thinking. School uniforms represent the very opposite of critical thinking. School uniforms represent an authority that you need to obey "or else".

I'd never send my own kids to conformity class. Fuck that vile shit, and if that makes your teaching job a little bit harder, well tough titty.

Also, did i mention that i hate school uniforms? Because i hate school uniforms.

Fusebox

Banned
You're over-reaching. All the schools in the town where I went to school had compulsory uniforms, nobody gave a fuck, it's a good equalizer and allows kids to get on and study instead of worrying about fashion.

SonnyBoy

I don't think children should be wearing such things to school. That kid isn't even old enough to fully grasp what he's representing, he's just following after his parents.

bengraven

Interesting.

I wonder how this is going to play with the other side. For years we've heard stories of people getting upset for kids wearing gay rights, titty rights, religious rights shirts and those people are usually right wing.

Now the right is probably going to make this out to be something just for them.

there's a line, it's just faaaaaaaar away from where you would draw it.

Interesting.

I wonder how this is going to play with the other side. For years we've heard stories of people getting upset for kids wearing gay rights, titty rights, religious rights shirts and those people are usually right wing.

Now the right is probably going to make this out to be something just for them.

and they would be justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom