• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows trailer

TheOGB

Banned
I gotta see more of the new show. Haven't watched since like the 3rd episode :V

559942_143595002474027_109817384_n.jpg
Wikipedia said:
Yep, that looks like RotPotA. Movie look confirmed :p

I didn't know Raphael could use shadow clones.

I kid, I know they originally didn't have different colored headbands

Game Guru

At least, only the CGI art is bad, not the in-game art... While the 2012 TMNT cartoon would have been best for low-poly count, it would not be okay with a grim and gritty storyline which this appears to be focusing on.

Also, if you are a TMNT fan and aren't watching the 2012 cartoon, shame on you! It's pretty darn awesome and is a perfect mix between the previous two cartoons' tone. There is also tons of respect for the source material.

Poona

The new cartoon is awesome. Though I don't like the new April. I don't like the many Krangs, he/it should be just 1. Also, where in the hell is the technodrome?

Yeah, they've made April younger than she has been in every other version for some reason.

The many Krangs (or Kraang in the new show) though are the actual reason for the turtles mutation.

The Utroms (the little alien, krang like creatures) were responsible for creating the mutagen that transformed the turtles. They were known as Utroms in the original stories, the first cartoon just had one of them and called him Krang. The 2003 series bought the Utroms back with no Krang. The latest series has the Utroms again, but now call them Kraang as a nod to Krang in the first cartoon.

Technodrome was not a part of the original stories. It was just a part of the first cartoon series, the archie comics (which were based on the first cartoon) and brought back in the animated Turtles Forever movie in 2009 (which brought many of the different Turtle universes together). So I don't really expect to it to return.

So the new turtles is better than 2003 turtles? I'm interested.

no... but it is only the first season. lots of potential.

Yikes! They dont look so hot, but I am willing to try the demo. The gameplay looked nice.
Also I just started reading the Secret History of the Foot Clan and its really good.

completely off topic but, wasnt the final page 'iron demon' reveal of the first 'secret history' issue one of the greatest turtles-related images you've ever seen? because it was for me.

Gartooth

Gut reaction is that those Turtle designs are hideous, how could anyone think those Turtle designs were a good idea? Really wish that they would have either gone with the artstyle of the new cartoon series, or if they wanted it gritter then go with the original comic version of the Turtles.

Either way I'm skipping on the game, looks like a piece of shit that is being rushed out the door due to all the acclaim that the new cartoon is rightfully receiving. Maybe in a couple years Activision will finally dedicate a competent developer to work on the license. (or the license falls in the hands of a better publisher)

Gut reaction is that those Turtle designs are hideous, how could anyone think those Turtle designs were a good idea? Really wish that they would have either gone with the artstyle of the new cartoon series, or if they wanted it gritter then go with the original comic version of the Turtles.

Either way I'm skipping on the game, looks like a piece of shit that is being rushed out the door due to all the acclaim that the new cartoon is rightfully receiving. Maybe in a couple years Activision will finally dedicate a competent developer to work on the license. (or the license falls in the hands of a better publisher)

Platinum Games

if only :(

I'm not a fan of the new series. It definitely skews younger than previous incarnations. The Turtles are well designed but basically every other character feels like they were phoned in. It's got that weird "it's always dark" thing going on that has plagued TMNT since the end of the first series. The new mutants are universally bad. Why Dogpound and Fishface (which would be bottom tier mutants even among the worst of the original series) instead of Bebop and Rocksteady? Why are they called the Kraang and evil instead of Utroms and benevolent? Not a fan of teenage April. Booyakasha, really? Splinter has no personality.

It's not a bad show, and there are certainly worse ones, but:

Early Original Series > 2K3 Series > 2012 Series > Late Original Series (Dregg episodes)

Skilletor

As well as all of their weapons.

The Turtles in this game as hideous. The new series looks way way better. It'll probably end up being better written than this game too.

That's fine. I don't need much more story than:

Leo: HEY GUYS! WE NEED TO GO RIGHT BUT ALL OF THESE FOOT CLAN ARE IN THE WAY!
Don: IF WE HIT THEM, THEY WILL GET OUT OF THE WAY!
Raph: I COULDA TOLD YOU THAT!
Mikey: LEARN BY DOIN', BRO!

Gartooth

As well as most of their weapons.

The Turtles in this game as hideous. The new series looks way way better. It'll probably end up being better written than this game too.

Really?

I remember the sai and staff, don't remember any nunchucks though.

Edit: Aaah nevermind, didn't notice you said most.

I really like making the turtles look a bit monstrous, but Activision, Red Fly, and downloadable don't exactly inspire confidence in this.

With the awesome comic running right now, I haven't been as interested in TMNT since I was six. I'd absolutely be down for an awesome Turtles game, but this doesn't sound like it.

SykoTech

Watching the few seconds of footage again....it doesn't look as bad as it did initially. Turtles are still ugly, but it looks like it might be a solid beat 'em up. I'll probably end up buying it if it's even remotely decent because I'd love a game to go along with the excellent new show.

However...

If there isn't local co-op I wont buy it.

....this is a requirement. If I can't play local co-op on the couch with my brother, then no sale.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Think of the 2012 show as a prequel to the 07 movie if you're afraid of watching it

Think of Turtles Forever as the end of the series/comics/movies/life

NEO0MJ

B. If we are using that logic, he made truck loads of money off the Transformers property. Something this franchise hasn't seen for a very long time.

Ugly as his designs and story was, that's true. But the difference is that the Turtles never had that problem, they were always big.

I would imagine this thriving on the Wii U so it's exclusion is a bit odd. I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up hitting the console though.

The art style is weird but I'm glad that it appears that developers are tied to the Nickelodeon art style, which I'm not a big fan of.

Lucent

Turtles look like actually turtles which is kind of creepy. I prefer the stylized look of the 2012 series.

This. I'm loving the 2012 series. The style and humor is great. I love the characterization of each of them, too.

I don't like the look of the image here. =l

But if the game is good then I can probably look past the faces.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
that comic character art is great, especially in context. the game art is very gross though.
that Raf face is priceless! Avatar material right there :D

Looks a little too Raph.
Haven't heard those words in twenty years. nice!

The 80s cartoon is nigh unwatchable now.

I recently rewatched a few episodes on youtube and was surprised to see it holds up quite well. You can tell they had fun making it. Plus, Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince as Shredder was a stroke of genius!

completely off topic but, wasnt the final page 'iron demon' reveal of the first 'secret history' issue one of the greatest turtles-related images you've ever seen? because it was for me.

link
that image is pure win!

I quite like the art direction, actually. They actually look like turtles, which is really cool.

I like the faces in the cartoon, but i don't enjoy the big feet. looks weird. I think the 05 CG Movie was the best design, though.

Amalthea

Banned
I would imagine this thriving on the Wii U so it's exclusion is a bit odd. I wouldn't be surprised if it did end up hitting the console though.

The art style is weird but I'm glad that it appears that developers are tied to the Nickelodeon art style, which I'm not a big fan of.
Might be that Nin-consoles will get a seperate game wich hopefully would be in the new shows look because of Nintendos family image.

VeeP

We need a darker turtles game.

Splinter and Michelangelo are dead.

Donetello is paralyzed.

Ralph has left the team, and the city is taken over by Kraang and By the Foot.

Skilletor

We need a darker turtles game.

Splinter and Michelangelo are dead.

Donetello is paralyzed.

Ralph has left the team, and the city is taken over by Kraang and By the Foot.

Not only is that a bad idea, most of all because it leaves me with only one turtle to control.

2nd because you said Kraang and not Shredder.

3rd because of all the rest.

I recently rewatched a few episodes on youtube and was surprised to see it holds up quite well. You can tell they had fun making it. Plus, Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince as Shredder was a stroke of genius!

Seriously? I never knew. lolol

Top Bottom