• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens React to BAYONETTA 2

nOoblet16

Usually they have the video guy comment and tell the kids about the game/console etc.

Should have mentioned that it was repetitive because they used touch controls, that her hair is her dress, that Bayonetta is designed by a woman etc.

Those touch controls do not look very fun. That one girl was just tapping while not even looking

They are atrocious, I still think it was good for Platinum to put that stuff into the game. It's sorta like the "easy mode for Dark Souls"-discussion that sometimes pops up. You can ruin the game for yourself but that's the thing if you have choice, if you are not careful and think about it a little bit then you can make the wrong one.

He wasn't using touch controls when he said that tho :p

Game was probably set to easy automatic, which is kinda nearly the same thing as touch controls. You just hammer the button and Bayonetta is doing crazy shit that she wouldn't do on higher difficulty levels because the game doesn't string attacks when button mashing like that. Just a guess of course.

I can't believe those touch controls were actually implemented.

Touch controls are great for accessibility towards gamers who have limited motor skills and want to play the game, but goddamn if these teens can play any other game regularly, make them play it regularly.

Is Bayonetta the Guren Lagann of the videogame world, with that I mean, the most crazy stuff made from Japan?

world_cup_3_game.gif

Kids being so annoyed by sexualization nowadays. I don't remember that from my own era. We just didn't give a damn, though, graphics weren't as good as they're now obviously. There was Dead or Alive, Tomb Raider and a few others... no one I knew was annoyed but just found the games kick ass.

Also, not fun to play? I'd try non touch controls before I would make a verdict. Kids are spoilt by hand holding. On the 8 and 16-bit consoles and PC there was a lot to figure out yourself.

No different from how we were concerned about if something was cool or not.

Blam

Do they not understand her clothes is her hair? I'd guess they would have noticed after the first time, but this is the React channel afterall.

Do they not understand her clothes is her hair? I'd guess they would have noticed after the first time, but this is the React channel afterall.

No, just all seemed to think she was growing clothes, and then using her dress to summon monsters. Which isn't entirely wrong.

Does it really matter, though?

Still though, shame they played on easy, I guess. There's not a lot to get out of this game if you take away any reason to not just button mash constantly.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
If anything it shows that game developers shouldn't be shackeled by people who aren't good at games (the touchscreen controls) because they come away saying it was easy and repetitive. The teens responding at anything sexual as bad was funny and shows how immature/self conscious they were to play anything like that. The one girl who wanted bayonetta to be shopping in sweats and a t shirt missed the point of the character. Keep focus testing out of video games!

Why would anyone who doesn't know the background of the games "understand" that? It's absurd by nature, unintuitive by design, and unexplained by narrative.

I would be more worried if they did figure it out based on that gameplay segment.

Hypron

Nah, The Wonderful 101 is the Gurren Lagann of video games

Asura's wrath is even crazier than TW101 in terms of scale but I guess it doesn't have the "team of Mech pilots working together" thing that the end of TW101 and TTGL have going on.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Reaction to playing a game requiring skill:
4dU9Jnj.gif

Reaction to playing a game in a way that requires no skill and will advance if you play or not:
nBd2LTO.gif

Vena

Asura's wrath is even crazier than TW101 in terms of scale but I guess it doesn't have the "team of Mech pilots working together" thing that the end of TW101 and TTGL have going on.

I'm not sure if time-traveling space armada (of a magnitude capable of blocking out the entire planar sky around the Earth) is ever topped by Asura's Wrath. The scale of destruction in Asura's Wrath is definitely above and beyond TW101 but the concept of what Geth-Jerk is, is waaaay over the top.

Lettuce

I though the whole point of this YouTube series was for teenagers to play old games they dont know crap all about???

Hypron

I'm not sure if time-traveling space armada (of a magnitude capable of blocking out the entire planar sky around the Earth) is ever topped by Asura's Wrath. The scale of destruction in Asura's Wrath is definitely above and beyond TW101 but the concept of what Geth-Jerk is, is waaaay over the top.

Did you play the Nirvana DLC? At one point you are flying towards the creator of the universe who's literally throwing planets at you; you are bigger than the earth at that point yet are still ridiculously small compared to him lol

And you end up
punching him out of existence

I don't know but it feels like these dudes have extremely low testosterone, who gets that awkward with seeing a butt on screen like that? You just saw something get thrown into a grinder but see a bare butt on screen is too much? That was just silly.

Vena

Did you play the Nirvana DLC? At one point you are flying towards the creator of the universe who's literally throwing planets at you; you are bigger than the earth at that point yet are still ridiculously small compared to him lol

And you end up
punching him out of existence

Yes I played it, and I know the scale of it. My only note on it is that I viewed Chakravartim as a kid in a playground who had control over all of his toys, but not the fundamental rules within which he operates. Geth-Jerk as a principle broke the basics of the universe to achieve what they attempted to achieve.

EulaCapra

Cool even the male teens are perturbed by the sexualization.

I like the whole drag queen campiness and sexy Vogue-fighting of Bayonetta but yeah when she's losing hair/clothes I keep thinking, "Oh, Japan. You silly perv."

MicH

Oh my god, calling the game boring and repetitive while only rapping the touch screen and looking away. That's depressing

sjay1994

It's weird that the game has gotten so much attention so long after launch. PewDiePie put out a few videos that seemingly raised the price up on amazon.
The game is pretty fantastic so it's good to see it still getting the attention it deserves.

The Pewdiepie effect is truly remarkable. He sparked up sales for Skate 3 too.

I don't watch his videos, but the fact he is able to give older games second winds in sales just by playing them is really impressive.

Doesn't include the first one though.

The guy saying the game is repetitive, stupid and tonally all over the place yet played using touch control hurts my soul.

At 8:13 and again at 11:28, you can see he's set aside the stylus and is back to buttons. The problem is he's playing on easy, and there's literally no stakes. He can just punch punch punch punch to victory. No need for combos or dodges. The greatest threat any of them face is a death-on-fail QTE.

Easy difficulty was a mistake.

Cool even the male teens are perturbed by the sexualization.

I like the whole drag queen campiness and sexy Vogue-fighting of Bayonetta but yeah when she's losing hair/clothes I keep thinking, "Oh, Japan. You silly perv."

Does anyone react to that shit with anything besides laughter? It always just came off as campy to the point of comedy to me. Not actually erotic at all.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The gameplay is good and it was a particularly weak year.

it was NOT a weak year when mario kart 8, donkey kong, smash 4, and bayonetta 2 came out that year, not to mention shovel knight

beyond that it isnt like bayo 2 was just a "decent" game among a bunch of mediocre ones, it got 10s across the board.

Top Bottom