• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 coming to PS4 and Xbox One

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not being funny but if they accidently added it they also accidentally made a white splash screen to blend into the Namco Bandi one.
But more importantly why mess with it in the first place?

People have mentioned it on blog so maybe it'll be taken down soon.

Hey guys weird conclusion but what if it's exclusive to PlayStation in Europe?

You know because XB1 doesn't sell in Europe...

They do it with Japanese titles on XB1, could do it to Europe too.

Just speculation.

AAK

I knew someone would bring that up.

And of course between all the Sunday games (SF, SmashBros, MK9/Injustice/X , etc ... ) you chose marvel.

No, You're the one who chose it:

Of course watching Tekken, if you know what you're looking at, can be more entertaining and tense than SF/MVC.

------->
MvC has 1 touch kills yes, but there are 3 different characters to go through.
As well as X-factor, TACS, happy birthdays.
There are no special corner hits happening, it's just a 2D game corner.
There are zoning characters, assists to help out, air-game, etc ...

OK, so MvC's juggles are tolerable because of all these other mechanics. And 2D corners in the context of combo's are conceptually the same as walls, puts the opponent in a position to get wall/corner specific juggles. And then you bring up things like zoning and air game... Tekken has a multitude of characters that each work in their perspective ranges and like how MvC has an air game, Tekken has a lateral game on the z-axis. So if you can use all these other things MvC has to excuse it's juggle system, why doesn't Tekken have the same exemption?

it's a weird comparison you're making. It's not even a 1v1 character game.
It's ok if you lack agruments.

You're the one who initiated the comparison not me.

There's a reason why Tekkens are played on a Saturday and people drop out of the game after a while (at least in the west, now of course someone's going to bring up JustFrameJames, Rip or whatever ).

That's fine if you want to discuss Tekken's fall in popularity but your argument is flawed where you're only attributing its fall entirely on the juggle system. The juggle system has the same prevalence in Tekken now than when it was in its pinnacle of popularity in TTT1. In fact, the ground damage does more damage now than ever before in the series.

What you can make an argument about is how Tekken is continuously recycling so much of its art and particularly with the latest installment animations making the game lack the generational leap the other games have going for it aesthetically. You can also point out the fact that Tekken releases 2 years after its arcade release in Asia in the west making it fall in popularity since people will have the perception they're playing an old game. You can also look at the drastic change in direction the series went transitioning from being a celebration of the world's martial arts into an anime carnival that no longer resonate with the legacy fans. There are a multitude of factors you can discern when analyzing Tekken's drop in popularity.

Kumubou

But seems like the "Play The Beta first on PS4" is for start of Battleborn trailer and not for the end of Tekken 7 trailer.
And Battleborn beta is actually first on PS4.

So Tekken 7 is only exclusive content.
If it's for Battleborn, then the way the announcements were cojoined managed to confuse the Playstation Access people as well (which, to my knowledge, is a YouTube channel run by SCEE). Just kind of bizarre. I'm pretty sure that is the correct read though, as something like that would have almost certainly been mentioned in the press release.

Son Of D

Hey guys weird conclusion but what if it's exclusive to PlayStation in Europe?

You know because XB1 doesn't sell in Europe...

They do it with Japanese titles on XB1, could do it to Europe too.

Just speculation.

Doubt it. Unless they want to miss out on the UK XB1 audience (The only other market where XB1 isn't doing terrible).

If it's PS4 exclusive anywhere it'll be Japan because the XB1 barely registers as a blip over there.

nZ803Z3.png

Because it says so......didn't no one pay attention to the trailer?
isn't that only because it was sony's press conference?

and katsuhiro harada's versions of the trailer doesn't include that sony intro

Guymelef

If it's for Battleborn, then the way the announcements were cojoined managed to confuse the Playstation Access people as well (which, to my knowledge, is a YouTube channel run by SCEE). Just kind of bizarre. I'm pretty sure that is the correct read though, as something like that would have almost certainly been mentioned in the press release.

I think it confused everybody, the logo appears various seconds after Tekken 7 trailer ends and after Kazuya artwork and logo fades off.

isn't that only because it was sony's press conference?

and katsuhiro harada's versions of the trailer doesn't include that sony intro

No, is a thing for games produced by SCE.

I think it confused everybody, the logo appears various seconds after Tekken 7 trailer ends and after Kazuya artwork and logo fades off.

I don't think so, why would they put Play beta first on PS4 for Battleborn before the trailer and then later have Jim Ryan announce that you will be able to play the Open Beta first again?

Also PS Access has Hollie that worked at Namco with Harada-san wouldn't you think she would have asked him first or at least fact checked?

Guymelef

I don't think so, why would they put Play beta first on PS4 for Battleborn before the trailer and then later have Jim Ryan announce that you will be able to play the Open Beta first again?

Also PS Access has Hollie that worked at Namco with Harada-san wouldn't you think she would have asked him first or at least fact checked?

If you see the conference again, all the trailers comes with the logo before and not after.
"PS4 Special Edition Console" before trailers for COD and SW.
"PS4 Console Exclusive" before SF V.
Etc...

Also Sony press release for PGW announcement says.
Katshuhiro Harada took to the stage to announce the latest installment in one of PlayStation’s most famous franchises, Tekken™(Bandai Namco Entertainment):
To celebrate 20 years of Tekken™ on PlayStation, Tekken 7™ will launch on PS4 with exclusive content.

Pretty sure it would say something about Beta.

Dazza

Man this thread is rampant with port begging.

Interesting Shahid's Twitter post about the beta first, I guess they could have forgotten to mention it in the conference

AAK

Kumubou made the best comment regarding this supposed Tekken 7 PS4 beta:

I'm pretty sure this was a misunderstanding on their part. Apparently it's about the beta for Battleborn, which was immediately mentioned after the end of the Tekken 7 segment at the Paris Games Week press conference (and does, in fact, have an exclusive beta on PS4). So it's most likely a dumb error (as I've seen a couple of people make the same mistake... and wouldn't an exclusive beta been mentioned in the press release?)

AAK

EDIT: Nvm, didn't see the community part, my bad. You're right. Thought it was an official account.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't know that I'd even mind a late release if it means the game evolves some more. I'm not really impressed with what it is at the moment.

Dereck

Some food for thought, here's a video from exactly 1 year ago when Tekken 7 had it's first location test.

https://youtu.be/OjeGcqtkI74

I don't know the exact details, one can summarize the amount of changes this game has seen in 1 year.

Anyway, has been playable for about a year, was released officially about 4 months later, announced for PS4 8 months after that point, with no release date. So!

Next arcade version comes out, let's say, February, just for convenience. When that next arcade release comes out, the console release date gets announced.

Random guesstimate generator.

Console version actually comes out in Feb 2017.

Numb

Some food for thought, here's a video from exactly 1 year ago when Tekken 7 had it's first location test.

I don't know the exact details, one can summarize the amount of changes this game has seen in 1 year.

Anyway, has been playable for about a year, was released officially about 4 months later, announced for PS4 8 months after that point, with no release date. So!

Next arcade version comes out, let's say, February, just for convenience. When that next arcade release comes out, the console release date gets announced.

Indeed. Looking for a fall release but a feb 2017 seems more likely and fall 2017 is basically confirmed if they don't release by feb 2017..unless the arcade update happens much later than expected.

I hope there's more story, which it seems like they're teasing towards. Back in the PS1 days the FMVs and unlockable characters were a great motivation for replayability with different characters. I skipped the PS2 games and with Tekken 6 everything was unlocked and there didn't seem to be much fleshing out of characters.

Rajang

I doubt its 2017.

Historically the console versions came out 1 year after the arcade. The only exception was Tekken 6.

Numb

I hope there's more story, which it seems like they're teasing towards. Back in the PS1 days the FMVs and unlockable characters were a great motivation for replayability with different characters. I skipped the PS2 games and with Tekken 6 everything was unlocked and there didn't seem to be much fleshing out of characters.

Supposed to be the end of the Mishima story and story has been a key word that has come up alot.

Dereck

I doubt its 2017.

Historically the console versions came out 1 year after the arcade. The only exception was Tekken 6.
So, you're saying March 2016, right?

If history is anything to go by, we can go by the last game.

Came out in arcades Sep 2011, second arcade version came out Mar 2012.

That's 6 months.

Tekken 7 came out Mar 2015, it's been 7 months, no new arcade release.

So you're saying that the game will come out in 4 months despite the game still being in beta in the arcades basically.

Rajang

So, you're saying March 2016, right?

If history is anything to go by, we can go by the last game.

Came out in arcades Sep 2011, second arcade version came out Mar 2012.

That's 6 months.

Tekken 7 came out Mar 2015, it's been 7 months, no new arcade release.

So you're saying that the game will come out in 4 months despite the game still being in beta in the arcades basically.

No. Where did I say that?

History has shown us that the console version of Tekken is released a year later, with the only exception being Tekken 6. I never said it would be exactly 12 months, it's different every time. For example Tekken 5 came out 3 months after the arcade release. While Tekken 4 was 8 months.

Arcade and console release of Tekken games:

Tekken: 1994/1995 > 1995
Tekken 2 1995 > 1996
Tekken 3: 1997 > 1998
Tekken Tag Tournament: 1999 > 2000
Tekken 4: 2001 > 2002
Tekken 5: 2004 > 2005
Tekken 6: 2007 > 2009
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 2011 > 2012
Tekken 7: 2015 > ??

My guess is that it's Q3 2016.

Q1 = SFV
Q2 = Pokkén Tournament

Dereck

History has shown us that the console version of Tekken is released a year later, with the only exception being Tekken 6. I never said it would be exactly 12 months, it's different every time. For example Tekken 5 came out 3 months after the arcade release. While Tekken 4 was 8 months.

Tekken 2 1995 > 1996

Q1 = SFV
Q2 = Pokkén Tournament
OK, I'm following you

Tekken 2 1995 > 1996

Q1 = SFV
Q2 = Pokkén Tournament
tekken 6 probably took longer because it was bandai namco's first time porting a main tekken installment to a different platform. also, they had to go from cell --> xenon and harada specifically said it was not going to be easy doing to porting

With the handful of popular Bandai games on Steam, and the fact Street Fighter V will be on there (with crossplay no less), I would be surprised if Tekken 7 doesn't eventually land on Steam, even if it's a later release date than PS4/XB1.

A good chunk of fighting titles being on consoles is one of the few reasons I tend to stick with those platforms, and if Tekken 7 manages to follow SFV to Steam, the only big fighting game need I'll have left is Guilty Gear Xrd, and with how Arc System has placed older versions on Steam, it could eventually follow. GGXrd and T7 are made in Unreal, just like SFV, but time will tell.

At least they finally spoke about a home version of Tekken 7 at all. If it only remains on consoles, then I'll stay the course to eventually get a PS4 for it.

Sayad

There wont necessarily be a big arcade update, unlike previous Tekken games, Tekken 7 have already been patched quite a few times for bugs, balance and to add characters.

There wont necessarily be a big arcade update, unlike previous Tekken games, Tekken 7 have already been patched quite a few times for bugs, balance and to add characters.
agreed. dark resurrection was made & announced before the PsP version was announced, and I think bloodline rebellion was announced concurrently with the 360 version of Tekken 6.

but the Ps4 version of tekken 7's been announced, so I doubt there'll be a revised version with its own subtitle.

AAK

tekken 2 & tag also had revisions in the arcade; there was tekken 2 and then tekken 2 ver. b or something like that, they just didn't see it fit all the way back then to give it a subtitle & rerelease it.

Harada specifically says Revision + Expansion. Tekken 2 never had an expansion, just a rebalance/revision. Tekken 7 has also been getting balance patches, but no expansion yet. Tekken Tag Tournament 2's expansion did have a subtitle it went from this:

sddefault.jpg

to this:

1510c3e96ca5.jpg

Console version ignored it, as did Tekken 6 w/ Bloodline Rebellion, as will Tekken 7 whenever that update gets revealed.

EDIT: And whenever that expansion gets revealed, be prepared to wait quite a bit for the console release after. 2017 or at the earliest Holiday 2016 is the most probable outcome.

LowParry

2017 just makes more sense with how they span the Tekken updates they do. I'll be surprised if it makes to consoles by year end 2016.

Top Bottom