• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 coming to PS4 and Xbox One

Hadn't been following T7 in a while...still no Lei?? It ain't Tekken without Lei, or Williams/Chang for that matter. Surely they'll be adding all the classics for home release; I think western sales would suffer otherwise.

tekken games always adds more characters in the home releases

I wonder if this is Tekken 7 we're talking about

Not yet. Roster is still missing a bunch of classics. Coming from Tekken 6, there's no Lei, no Lee, no Capos, no Bears, no Mokujin, no Chang, no Ganryu, no Nina or Anna, no Baek, no Bruce, no Marduk, no Armor King, no Roger Jr., no Miguel, no Bob, and no Zafina. That's 16 characters (+ 2 clones & 1 mimic) that are teetering on the edge of being cut.
they said the overall roster is gonna be smaller, so don't expect all of them to return.

There's a rumor that gigas is Marduk

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Harada said they intentionally shot for a lower character count cause it was getting ridiculous, and people didn't play with a lot of them online consistently. So even for the console release, i expect a smaller roster than T6

Harada said they intentionally shot for a lower character count cause it was getting ridiculous, and people didn't play with a lot of them online consistently. So even for the console release, i expect a smaller roster than T6
Yep. Nina should be back though.

The rest of the characters may come back for the story though, because this installment looks like it's gonna tie up a lot of the loose knots

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This doesn't make any actual sense though, they are just lazy.

Oh, yeah. I'm sure that's exactly it, and has absolutely no basis in trying to reign in and control character balancing, nor does it have anything to do with attempting to streamline efficient developmental priority at all.

They are just lazy. Why didn't i think of that?

Bousf

Happy to hear the news (even if obvious) but the roster is still missing a few more series staples imo, you can't just wipe out the classics (SCV anyone?)

MrDenny

Last year Harada mentioned, he thought the roster was becoming too large and that 36-38 characters is a good size roster.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So, do you think the 27 characters in Tekken 7 are enough?

They're going to be adding more dude. It was just suggested once in an interview a while back (like over a year ago) that the character count in Tekken 7 would be less than Tekken Tag 2, and might even be less than Tekken 6 (which had 41 characters [counting two clones and a mimic], not 47).

And you'd be surprised at how many folks are okay with fewer characters. The line of thought goes: if there are fewer characters, there are fewer match-ups to learn in order to put up an effective defense. I don't particularly like that line of thought, and I tend to prefer more characters, but that's also because I like to play some of the less popular characters.

AllenShrz

I have already played over 2,500 fights on T7, I can safely say they are not lazy just because they don't have as many characters as before. They will add more characters as they always had done in the past for the console release of their game.

Is stupid to correlate the quality/effort of a game based on the number for characters to choose from, to that metric go play MK Trilogy and go nuts.

The most "quality" problem I see with T7 right now are the loading times. They are extremely long for an arcade, they can go past the minute mark sometimes and that's crazy for an arcade and I worry that for a console release they might cut corners to lower the loading time.

Yes? There's no hard and fast rule for how many characters should and shouldn't be in a fighting game.

I have already played over 2,500 fights on T7, I can safely say they are not lazy just because they don't have as many characters as before. They will add more characters as they always had done in the past for the console release of their game.

Is stupid to correlate the quality/effort of a game based on the number for characters to choose from, to that metric go play MK Trilogy and go nuts.

The most "quality" problem I see with T7 right now are the loading times. They are extremely long for an arcade, they can go past the minute mark sometimes and that's crazy for an arcade and I worry that for a console release they might cut corners to lower the loading time.

IIRC, the arcade is running on weaker stuff than the PS4/One, so it should be better.

Cyborg

itsok.jpg

Cool, dont play it and keep walking.

I understand you! As a fan you are blinded and fine with what you know (feels so familiar) I respect that. But for me Tekken isnt anymore what it once was.

Since Tekken 4 it went all downhill, the graphics, the combat, character development, story. All of them lack evolution (more of the same)

Alx

New Tekken is always something, in these times where 3D fighters seem mostly dead. I would have preferred a Soulcalibur, VF or DOA, but I'll take what I can get...
I don't expect VR to be anything but a novelty in such game, either an option to see the fight with a dynamic camera, or a quirky mini-game/theater mode... I doubt any traditional fighter would be playable in first person, let alone in VR (prepare the puke buckets if you play Eddie :p), so that will probably not be an option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLiqAc_WfM

27 for a fighter is more than fine. It's not a Pokemon collect-a-thon, but a fighting game where you usually choose a few main characters to get good with. Anything above 10 playable characters is fine by my standards. Below is debatable depending on the quality and diversity of the characters.
Also I suppose that the more characters you add, the harder it is to balance all their movelists. I'd rather have a polished and balanced roster than see broken characters ruin the whole community.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
27 for a fighter is more than fine. It's not a Pokemon collect-a-thon, but a fighting game where you usually choose a few main characters to get good with. Anything above 10 playable characters is fine by my standards. Below is debatable depending on the quality and diversity of the characters.
Also I suppose that the more characters you add, the harder it is to balance all their movelists. I'd rather have a polished and balanced roster than see broken characters ruin the whole community.

To be fair, Tekken has managed to avoid that even with the very large rosters of Tekken 6 BR and Tekken Tag 2. For having so many characters with so many moves, they're pretty good at balancing.

Sayad

This sound like a petty announcement just to shut complaints about the lack of a home version. No talk about a release date or even release window, no new characters, modes, features or anything. We know absolutely nothing new that we didn't already knew before this announcement! :|

27 is absolutely not acceptable, 28 if the 28th character is Nina is fine though.

AllenShrz

I understand you! As a fan you are blinded and fine with what you know (feels so familiar) I respect that. But for me Tekken isnt anymore what it once was.

Since Tekken 4 it went all downhill, the graphics, the combat, character development, story. All of them lack evolution (more of the same)

Down the hill from 4?

I'm sorry to say this but that's wrong and you sound hipster by saying that.

T5DR, T6, TT2 and T7 are solid releases.

Occam

There were 8 playable characters in Street Fighter II.
People expecting ~50 playable characters in modern fighting games seems a little inflationary.

AllenShrz

This sound like a petty announcement just to shut complaints about the lack of a home version. No talk about a release date or even release window, no new characters, modes, features or anything. We know absolutely nothing new that we didn't already knew before this announcement! :|

Haha yes, I was laughing with this "announcement", I bet a release date of late 2016 or Q1 2017. Those arcades are expensive and they already took a hit with the pokemon spin off, no one touches those arcades.

I wonder if this is Tekken 7 we're talking about

What is this supposed to mean? I'm asking because of this line from the press release: "...including an in-depth story mode that lets players fully experience the canon storyline."

It just struck me as a possibility especially since they seem to be focusing on wrapping up that storyline and SF being inspired by MK9 storymode-wise (last I heard).

Hutchie

Very happy with the news, maybe a 2nd quarter 2017 release? Hope it lives ttt2 port in terms of content.

Re less characters than before im in the not bothered camp in terms of tekken i hvent played more than 3 characters since 3 due to the expanded systems and movesets literally too much to learn. Heck harada added in solo team in ttt2 because some people were struggling to master two characters

27 is absolutely not acceptable, 28 if the 28th character is Nina is fine though.

Coming to home consoles is a pretty big confirmation. Now they can start talking about the new features and hyping it up before release. They probably haven't nailed down a release date yet, so be patient. I doubt it will be any later than Fall of next year, to be honest.

What is this supposed to mean? I'm asking because of this line from the press release: "...including an in-depth story mode that lets players fully experience the canon storyline."

It just struck me as a possibility especially since they seem to be focusing on wrapping up that storyline and SF being inspired by MK9 storymode-wise (last I heard).

I don't know if they'll wrap up the whole storyline and reboot it, but I think they might finally end the three way war between the Mishimas and do a Tekken 3 styled sequel with the next game.

Hipster? Oh whatever, there is no reason to go in to a discussion with someone like you.

To be fair, you called a guy blind and already came off as condescending. What did you expect?

AllenShrz

Hipster? Oh whatever, there is no reason to go in to a discussion with someone like you.

I could say the same to you, dismissing the new game and outright saying "kill it" yet I don't think you have payed it once.

Also still keeping on the pedestal a game released on 1997 as the best of the franchise.

Finaika

WTF

Cant wait. Always been a Tekken guy. It was probably my first fighting game. (If international karate for the c64 doesnt count)

Tekken X Street Fighter might never happen but they should totally troll and have Ryu as a unlockable character.

Hope this will be a return to form after Tekken 6, which was a bit disappointing. I wish more fighting games would take a cue from Mortal Kombat and do an actual story mode, as the story in Tekken is never done justice, with it's short ending scenes.

Alx

Yeah they can be long, but I will admit it's better now than it was say back in March.

I honestly wonder why fighting games can have loading times longer than a few seconds... what is done during that time exactly ? I guess you're moving the stage/character geometry to memory, but that's not that much data and it's mostly static, you don't have to generate a dynamic world or something like that. And I guess binary code for AI, game rules etc. should be even smaller.
Maybe it's for the physics engine to initialize ? Even then, aren't most animations in a fighter canned anyway ?

AllenShrz

Dont be fooled, those are offline, no one plays offline here in Japan or in Korea.

A normal waiting time is about 30 to 40sh secs, and if the guy you are fighting against is using costumes or the character he choose has not *load on the arcade you are using in a while* it will pass the minute mark.

It goes as far as in the middle of a fight it can pause for half a sec to load something, like Kasumi's tiger or a new lvl floor, killing the flow.

In terms of mechanics I understand the point. Tekken 6 to some was a huge problem. Rage, Bound, Crumple, Floor Break, Wall splat all leading into silly combos which is far from what Tekken initially was. I liked it, but compared to Tekken 4, it did get it's fair share of backlash...again, from a competitive stand point.

jett

D-Member
The loading times are inconsistent, especially during net play, but even during local/event or "story" mode can get stupid long.

But that was back then, the game is better optimized nowadays compared to launch.

Dont be fooled, those are offline, no one plays offline here in Japan or in Korea.

A normal waiting time is about 30 to 40sh secs, and if the guy you are fighting against is using costumes or the character he choose has not *load on the arcade you are using in a while* it will pass the minute mark.

It goes as far as in the middle of a fight it can pause for half a sec to load something, like Kasumi's tiger or a new lvl floor, killing the flow.

Well that's fucked and really inexplicable. There must be some problem with the netcode or with the way the data is delivered or pushed. I don't expect that to happen on PSN.

Does anyone know where in the timeline this is set?

The PGW trailer gave the impression of pre-tekken 1.
What with Heihachi chucking Kazuya off the cliff and awakening the devil gene.

However what confuses me is that they've shown Yoshimitsu's new look, and that looks nothing like T1 era.

wULV4mH.gif

IvorB

I agree with you but for me it was after Tekken 5DR which I still think was the pinnacle of Tekken. Everything about Tekken 7 seems lazy and half-assed. I watched some Evo footage of the Arab guy being played and I could see absolutely nothing unique or interesting about his moveset. I think Harada has run out of steam and should maybe pass the reigns to someone else. But I am so starved for a decent fighter to play on PS4 that I might even consider this game. Tough times.

Top Bottom