• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |Review Thread|

Wallach

Thanks for the breakdown! (and thanks to everyone else who helped describe Tekken to me too!)

With the exception of the long combo strings, the rest of what I'm reading sounds pretty dope. Since I bounced off Injustice 2 super quick, I think I'll trade it in and give T7 a shot.

I highly recommend checking out the top 8 from the recent Combo Breaker tournament in Illinois this past weekend. Even if you don't have much reference for the game specifically I think you can glean a lot from how it plays at the high skill levels (plus it was just one of the best top 8s any game has seen in a long time and is worth watching for entertainment value): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtowqc_DGGI

Character customization is looking deeper than T6. Tekken tag 2 disappointed me with the dearth of options for customizing my characters, hopefully they continue to support the game post-launch with more outfits and stages

Wallach

Character customization is looking deeper than T6. Tekken tag 2 disappointed me with the dearth of options for customizing my characters, hopefully they continue to support the game post-launch with more outfits and stages

According to the season pass stuff, the first DLC drop for the game is supposed to include a shitload more customization options.

Wallach

Looking good. Which game would be more accessible to fighting noobs, this or Injustice?

I think it depends on what you mean. In terms of accessible in learning the system and fighting other players, I'd say Tekken. In terms of having more inviting single-player content without having to fight other players or learn the actual fighting system as much, I'd say Injustice.

9.5 is low? How was the series average score?
I personally expected 85 and above average because the game looks good. However it might settle down with the same score as Tekken 6. Not that this will stop me from getting it. However I hoped for a Tekken 5 situation here.

Wallach

I personally expected 85 and above average because the game looks good. However it might settle down with the same score as Tekken 6. Not that this will stop me from getting it. However I hoped for a Tekken 5 situation here.

It kind of looks like that is around where it will end up. There are more 9+ scores in the OP than have yet been posted to Metacritic.

Stiler

Did they really take out Roger the kangaroo because of that video of the Aussie bloke punching a kangaroo that had his dog in a headlock???

Why on earth....it's a bloody game!

That kind of self-censorship boggles me mind, who would complain about Roger? He's been in the previous games just fine...

Still plan to get the game, but bummed from just now learning Roger was cut because they "thought" someone might get upset at being able to punch a virtual kangaroo...

ZeroX03

Banned
Did they really take out Roger the kangaroo because of that video of the Aussie bloke punching a kangaroo that had his dog in a headlock???

Why on earth....it's a bloody game!

That kind of self-censorship boggles me mind, who would complain about Roger? He's been in the previous games just fine...

Still plan to get the game, but bummed from just now learning Roger was cut because they "thought" someone might get upset at being able to punch a virtual kangaroo...

Harada was joking.

Numb

i demand Bamco remove Kuma and Panda!

cruel and unusual virtual sports should not involve bears

image.php
You are not allowed to demand the removal of anyone while sporting the devil like that

Nestunt

University finals suck.

I still have half of Nioh to beat, Persona 5 is like 100 hours long and apparently Injustice and Tekken are alright...

MikeBison

Good to see great reviews. Been excited about this for ages despite being a scrub.

Going to hone and practice until I finally beat my friend (who is a very good FG player) with a rolling death cradle. I'll go years if I have to.

Delpij

University finals suck.

I still have half of Nioh to beat, Persona 5 is like 100 hours long and apparently Injustice and Tekken are alright...

Finished Persona the day before getting Tekken.
140 hours, level 99, max stats et nearlly all confidants maxed out.

Job is done. Time to brawl!

ZeroX03

Banned
It kind of looks like that is around where it will end up. There are more 9+ scores in the OP than have yet been posted to Metacritic.

The OP isn't an exhaustive list of reviews though, I haven't added some from outlets I don't know/can't read due to language barriers lol. 8-9 is certainly the range for almost all the reviews regardless.

I'm not the biggest fighting fan.
But injustice is fucking awesome and tekken is the one heavy hitter fighter that always stood out to me.
And with these reviews...i guess I'm buying on friday.

I hadn't touched a fighting game in like five years but after more than 60 hours of Injustice 2, I look forward to the return of Tekken. This is such a great year for games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Man, i really wish i was good at Tekken.

I dont even fully understand what the fuck is going on, but if i could do this vs a training dummy id be proud as cat delivering a dead bird.

I need to practice when my cousin is sleeping.

It doesnt seem like hes doing anything particularly amazing, but god damn.

MistBreeze

I have some questions to any player got the game early:

1) does not having CG endings hit the game for you? Im sad because it was a stable in the series...

2) do they change the carachter select soundtrack from the arcade version?

3)is it better than Tekken Tag 2?

ooteeni

Ok i'm a filthy Casual, I enjoyed Street Fighter IV. So I have funds to buy this or Injustice 2.
No Idea what to get . First world Problem.

Ok i'm a filthy Casual, I enjoyed Street Fighter IV. So I have funds to buy this or Injustice 2.

well since you're in this thread... :D Get Tekken now and grab Injustice from a sale later just for the storymode!

ZeroX03

Banned

Casual who wants to remain casual? Probably Injustice.

Casual with an interest in competitive? Probably Tekken.

Injustice is currently a more expensive investment if you want DLC too, it'll be more aggressively discounted and bundled sooner.

Shifty

Man, i really wish i was good at Tekken.

I dont even fully understand what the fuck is going on, but if i could do this vs a training dummy id be proud as cat delivering a dead bird.

I need to practice when my cousin is sleeping.

It doesnt seem like hes doing anything particularly amazing, but god damn.

Looks like masterful spacing and pressure using Akuma. No flashy supers, but goddamn if it's not effective.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

7's customization is closer to Tag 2 than 6. There are more items per character, but they're mostly generic, and can't be fit together in as many ways. On the plus side, you can change the colors freely, and the colors don't seem to have the weird pixelation that could be seen at times in Tag 2.

Some odd omissions though. Kuma and Panda have almost no customizations at all, especially compared to the previous games.

LTWheels

Wished the loading times were shorter. Been playing VF4E recently and have got so use to the almost instant loads. Looking to get the PS4 version, but if PC community is health may switch over later due to having an ssd.

Top Bottom